• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arata: The Legend 11
tumblr_mowyr8e7mT1sp1ktjo2_500.png
tumblr_mowyr8e7mT1sp1ktjo3_500.png

tumblr_mowyr8e7mT1sp1ktjo4_500.png
tumblr_mowyr8e7mT1sp1ktjo1_500.png

These two always crack me up. For side bystander support characters they do get their moments every now and then. It served as a good break from the really emotional moment for this episode.
Kadowaki showing some concern for Hinohara was nice, rushing in to try to save him at least just so he can get his wholly and undivided attention. I really want this resolved by seasons end, if they can do it, then I think this will definitely be third best anime this season

I seriously do not even feel like I am watching the same show as other people. I'm not even sure what they do that could be interpreted as metacommentary.

I didn't like the show either. The show's cast of mostly unlikable characters and overall "lolsocynical" dialogue bored the hell out of me.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I seriously do not even feel like I am watching the same show as other people. I'm not even sure what they do that could be interpreted as metacommentary.

It is different than the typical harem genre, it just oddly goes through with general fun slice of life stuff happening, but not in the general harem genre way.

Kurenai 7

b6FaOIM.jpg

Murasaki is hanging out with the wrong crowd. I do have to say, having a seven-year-old around makes some of the flirtatious behavior of the women a little uncomfortable.

Otherwise, I really liked the flashback; the whole backstory with Murasaki's parents has been really engaging and has a great atmosphere to it.
With Murasaki wandering around someone from the Kuhouin family was bound to spot her sooner or later. I'm curious to see how the inevitable showdown goes down.

It feels like the show gets away from this as it nears its ending, which is understandable but disappointing all the same.

Sometimes I feel like shows could use less plot. Not that I dislike the plot in Kurenai, but when you've got good characters just watching them be is enough.

The whole musical sequence and afterwards was hilariously random. It captured the feeling of when people who are comfortable with each other improvise. With Matsuo's prerecording method, I have to wonder if the voice actors were asked to improv any themselves.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
It is different than the typical harem genre, it just oddly goes through with general fun slice of life stuff happening, but not in the general harem genre way.
I don't really wind up seeing the subversion. It plays everything by the books but instead of offering character moments we wind up with a few snide comments from the main character and lengthy monologues about an imaginary high school social structure. Even if it was a deconstruction what analysis would it be making about the genre?

The Laws of Eternity

Thoth is clearly the greatest scientist ever.

There's so much to intake that it's a spiritual journey to understand the TRUTH of the world, past lives, Heaven, Hell, ambitions, desires, and tsundere Patrick. Boy was he ever a tsundere.

While there were great Americans in heaven, it's clear that our two American characters were thrown under a bus, like an illustration that current day Americans are more materialistic, greedy (we are fat afterall), whereas Japanese aren't. But that's not really the message. It was just a coincidence.

It was like a dream world of where we wanted to see great things happen, religions being united instead of bickering with each other to see whose superior than the other. Wars and conflicts could be solved, on top of the enemy you hate today could've been a friend in the past life, along with the idea of reincarnation being a thing.

It does feel like people are losing sight of spirituality, as we're just sitting here like a bunch of anime fans with our materials, not reaching out for Thoth, La Mu, Buddha, or even just Edison.

It succeeds in making you feel terrible, it grabs that emotion that religion and science can co-exist instead of ripping at each other, and that we should make machines based on the power of beliefs. This should be something that should be shown to university students to heal them of their stress. I can't stress this enough.

I mean being the right kind of person, having faith allows you to summon giants that can fight. That's awesome. Really awesome.
I like how Hitler was there

This was probably one of the best things I've seen this week. Take me Thoth, you handsome 9th diminsion god you~

yami4ct

Madoka Magica 8

Not sure how to feel about this episode. It's mostly boring. It has some great Sayaka character work with her
falling deeper and deeper into darkness
. Other than that, it was mostly really boring.......until the last 7 or so minutes. Holy shit, information overload. You get the reveal that
Homura is a time traveler
and that all magic girls
are destined to become witches. I'm not sure what's the point of Magic Girls if they are a different kind of baby witch, but we shall see. Perhaps Catbbit wants to create a super witch? He is being called the Incubator by Homura
. Oh, and I guess
Catbbit is confirmed, 100% evil.
. No surprises there. I guess overall, the episode was really meh, but that ending was great. I'm getting really board with the "save all the crazy for the last 5 minutes" schtick this show keeps pulling. It makes things way more confusing than they aught to be and just getting old. Hope they change things up.

I suppose it also gave us one of the best moments in anime history
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e397/I_am_Latia/HOLEyshit.gif Too bad he got right up.....and then ATE HIS OWN CORPSE. What the what!"?!?!?!?!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Who is your avatar btw? Random question but I have wondered about it couple of times...

Donnel's other waifu, Chihaya from idolmaster.

Batman is Batman but without any of the rewards that come with being Batman!

---

After School Midnighters - so Mr Jeff brought this up in relation to NeraGaku and yeah...

iGuGi4Xl.jpg

CG Future!

CG aside, with probably some work, this could pass as a Tim Burton feature, what with everything being so whimsical-gothy. There's hardly any set up, which is kind of neat when you expect a lot of time establishing the premise in a movie like this (let's explain how fear powers the world of the Monsters in Monsters Inc, for example)... instead, it's just three girls in a haunted school doing weird CG-inspired hijinks. In fact, now that I think about it, the set up is very much like Monsters Inc inasmuch as you have two monsters who want to scare the kids but they end up protecting them.

This was probably the biggest thing that stood out to me though:
fKz8cTKl.jpg

Indeed. lol

Batman is Batman but without any of the rewards that come with being Batman!

---

After School Midnighters - so Mr Jeff brought this up in relation to NeraGaku and yeah...

iGuGi4Xl.jpg

CG Future!

CG aside, with probably some work, this could pass as a Tim Burton feature, what with everything being so whimsical-gothy. There's hardly any set up, which is kind of neat when you expect a lot of time establishing the premise in a movie like this (let's explain how fear powers the world of the Monsters in Monsters Inc, for example)... instead, it's just three girls in a haunted school doing weird CG-inspired hijinks. In fact, now that I think about it, the set up is very much like Monsters Inc inasmuch as you have two monsters who want to scare the kids but they end up protecting them.

This was probably the biggest thing that stood out to me though:
fKz8cTKl.jpg

Indeed. lol

It's trying to make me forget about the TRUTH

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's - 04

I figured
their weapons would get upgrades to use cartridges as well. Level playing field and all that. Nonetheless, looks like shit is about to go down come next episode.

cnet128

Banned
Madoka Magica 8

Not sure how to feel about this episode. It's mostly boring. It has some great Sayaka character work with her
falling deeper and deeper into darkness
. Other than that, it was mostly really boring.......until the last 7 or so minutes. Holy shit, information overload. You get the reveal that
Homura is a time traveler
and that all magic girls
are destined to become witches. I'm not sure what's the point of Magic Girls if they are a different kind of baby witch, but we shall see. Perhaps Catbbit wants to create a super witch? He is being called the Incubator by Homura
. Oh, and I guess
Catbbit is confirmed, 100% evil.
. No surprises there. I guess overall, the episode was really meh, but that ending was great. I'm getting really board with the "save all the crazy for the last 5 minutes" schtick this show keeps pulling. It makes things way more confusing than they aught to be and just getting old. Hope they change things up.

I never thought I would see someone complaining about pacing in Madoka of all things, but there you have it. I guess everybody is entitled to their opinion.

Futari wa Precure Splash Star 28

I'll tell you one thing I do like about Mizu Shitatare - she doesn't put up with any of Gohyarn's shit. Even as she continues to fail time and time again, she retains more than enough confidence and self-importance to put that snivelling little asshole in his place.

And in this episode, she doesn't do too badly. She manages to craft a pretty nasty situation for the Cures...although, that said, we shouldn't give her too much credit. The nastiest part of the situation wasn't her doing at all - it was a complete accident that the Cures became separated. But once it did happen, she took full advantage of it and put some serious distance + magical barrier between the two of them before mounting a full-on attack on the isolated, powerless Mai.

Of course she didn't count on the fact that Saki would catch up in a couple of minutes (How did she catch up with a train so quickly on foot?) and then break through the barrier with the power of trying really hard. So the Cures ended up together and wiped the floor with her latest Uzaina in the end. But at least the villain put up a decent effort!

I never thought I would see someone complaining about pacing in Madoka of all things, but there you have it. I guess everybody is entitled to their opinion.

Futari wa Precure Splash Star 28

I'll tell you one thing I do like about Mizu Shitatare - she doesn't put up with any of Gohyarn's shit. Even as she continues to fail time and time again, she retains more than enough confidence and self-importance to put that snivelling little asshole in his place.

And in this episode, she doesn't do too badly. She manages to craft a pretty nasty situation for the Cures...although, that said, we shouldn't give her too much credit. The nastiest part of the situation wasn't her doing at all - it was a complete accident that the Cures became separated. But once it did happen, she took full advantage of it and put some serious distance + magical barrier between the two of them before mounting a full-on attack on the isolated, powerless Mai.

Of course she didn't count on the fact that Saki would catch up in a couple of minutes (How did she catch up with a train so quickly on foot?) and then break through the barrier with the power of trying really hard. So the Cures ended up together and wiped the floor with her latest Uzaina in the end. But at least the villain put up a decent effort!

It's called love, it lets you do anything

Articalys

Impressively, Colony Drop has finally produced a second fanzine issue.
Articles cover a variety of anime-related topics. Here’s a rough rundown:

• The seminal Cream Lemon episode Pop Chaser.
• Patlabor’s real-life influences.
• A discussion with two Japanese journalists about anime publishing.
• The VHS-based lifestyle of fans during the Reagan administration.
• The underbelly of the U.S. anime convention scene.
• Fandom during the dial-up era.
• 1980s basic cable programming and To-Y.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Kirbyguy: All Happy Science films are produced with an English dub ready to go, and you are encouraged to use it when available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom