• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mushibugyo 12

RitMEuZ.jpg

You'd think this was said during some crazy endgame crisis, but it was actually a TRAINING METHOD. Now that's badass (and quite a bit dickish on the dad's part).

Nafe

Ichukii - she's fine. Even if she wasn't old money she'd probably still win the position based on her charisma. She also knows kung-fu

Karen - Karen sucks

Reika - Reika sucks even more

Mana - the worst fictional character of 2013

I wonder how you would react to the group leader in the current Super Sentai Kyoryuger and especially after the current story arc. I actually haven't seen this weeks follow up or conclusion yet but in the first part...
the team meets a new enemy they can't beat. A new ally also appears and gives them each a trial to overcome or understand their own weakness. The leader's, who's name is "King" by the way, only flaw is that he has no flaws and thus has no way to improve himself, haha.

This weeks episode was about how they'd actually overcome that. He's also like Mana in that he'll go out of his way to pretty much help anybody and wants to be friends with everybody type of thing.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Doraemon: Nobita's Dinosaur] (2006)
When I first heard the premise to this film I was expecting a melodramatic version of the boy and his pet story, but with dinosaurs. That it became an action film complete with chase sequences and dinosaur sakuga just made the experience all the sweeter, especially because of how seamlessly it managed to shift focus. It's the type of movie that I would have expected from renaissance-era Disney, albeit with a few shortcuts in the character development arena considering it's taking established characters for its cast.

I think what sells the experience is how down-to-Earth the first thirty minutes are. Piisuke's bonding with Nobita should be familiar to anyone who has ever had a pet at home, and it was nice to see the boy mature from being just a selfish brat who wanted to show up those jerks he has for "friends" into someone that could lead the pack throughout the adventure. The script even allows itself for some neat moments of
redemption for Suneo and Gian towards the end
. It's a movie packed with heart.

Definitely commendable. It's an easily digestible experience with some great humour that anyone can enjoy. Charming and (mostly) family-friendly. 5 out of 5 Redlines (which is more Redline than Redline had!)
Btw, feathered velociraptors get me hot. What is it about dinosaur movies that just work?

The Last of Us in Japan thread is disgusting.

So they're all pedophiles now?

The shit people get away with.

I wonder how you would react to the group leader in the current Super Sentai Kyoryuger and especially after the current story arc. I actually haven't seen this weeks follow up or conclusion yet but in the first part...
the team meets a new enemy they can't beat. A new ally also appears and gives them each a trial to overcome or understand their own weakness. The leader's, who's name is "King" by the way, only flaw is that he has no flaws and thus has no way to improve himself, haha.

This weeks episode was about how they'd actually overcome that. He's also like Mana in that he'll go out of his way to pretty much help anybody and wants to be friends with everybody type of thing.

Is he super perfect to the point of Mary Suedom and make everyone else look useless?

Hattori

Banned

the open celebration of the blatant generalization of a whole country is just sad, and add to the fact that that whole thread has been derailed by several people just quoting it and not even contributing to the conversation. It's a brave new world we live in.

Syrinx

Date a Live 6

Okay, this was not at all what I was expecting, but it was sorta way, way, WAY more awesome.

They pretty much blew up the whole fucking city!

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Would it be too strong to call it open racism at this point?

You know, I think I'd be okay with the idea of a character that
starts off overpowered but ends up weaker than everyone else because of their inability to improve
, but you make it sound like that's not going to be a case so it's a shame :lol

One of these days I'll watch a toku based on your recommendations. I've always kind of wanted to get into it.

Yep, everyone who likes The Last of Us is a pedophile!

Only if you're Japanese. You know, because every last Japanese is a pedophile.

yami4ct

the open celebration of the blatant generalization of a whole country is just sad, and add to the fact that that whole thread has been derailed by several people just quoting it and not even contributing to the conversation. It's a brave new world we live in.

No it's just GamingGaf in general. Outside of specific game OTs, it's nearly impossible to have a conversation in a thread as it always degenerates into yelling or quoting of the same post over and over.

fertygo

We're not gonna call all snarky post in other thread aren't we? Feels like we're too sensitive atm. That not even seriously jab job.

Branduil

I was actually on council twice and then had almost a sure shot of becoming seitokaichou student council president, but I refused to run after I discovered that pretty much the entire council, adviser included, was embezzling the money from our fundraisers to go to expensive restaurants.

Maybe that's part of the reason why I typically hate seitokaichou characters in anime :lol I'm not even sure what the point of student council is in Japan other than to give the kids who excel at using bureaucracy to control other people a chance to experience this before they do in the workforce.

Sounds like you already do know the reason.

No it's just GamingGaf in general. Outside of specific game OTs, it's nearly impossible to have a conversation in a thread as it always degenerates into yelling or quoting of the same post over and over.

Either that or making a fake outrage topic where people suddenly "cares" about something they never paid attention to.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It is 100% open racism. The guy would just write it off as being "ironic" though, which is apparently the kind of humor that flies now.

Maybe someone should actually bring it up in there.

And stir up dozens of STOP BEING SO PC/IF YOU TOOK OFFENSE TO THAT MAYBE YOU'RE A PEDO TOO/NOFUNALLOWED.JPG posts? pffffffft.

wonzo

Banned
More like it's more of the same old shit because if you don't get your quote and high five in, the other 100 people that did might not know you existed.
". ahahah yeah +1 lmbo a+++++ post will shit thread agin!!!!1111 *upvoted* *liked* *coli.png*"

yami4ct

We're not gonna call all snarky post in other thread aren't we? Feels like we're too sensitive atm. That not even seriously jab job.

It's not really a specific post, it's the whole thread that's gotten like that. It happens any time Japan is brought up in a context that involves more than fans of Japanese games. Anytime we get a thread like that, it always becomes a massive topic of conversation here.

It is 100% open racism. The guy would just write it off as being "ironic" though, which is apparently the kind of humor that flies now.

Maybe someone should actually bring it up in there.

Bringing it up in the thread will do nothing but either get you laughed out of the thread or cause a huge, unintelligible argument. All we can hope is that moderators will eventually stand up and make it clear that behavior isn't OK.

One of these days I'll watch a toku based on your recommendations. I've always kind of wanted to get into it.

JOIN USSSSSSSS.

Watched Nanoha StrikerS 3... nothing really happened. When the credits rolled I was like "... That's it?" I mean sure, we had the training bit, but it wasn't that great aside from the exposition.

yami4ct

Give me a moment, I'm waiting for the right opportunity.

Just make sure you do it a clear, not-condensending, level headed manner if you're going to do it. The biggest problem we have in Japanese related thread is people on our side making the other side's point for them/be really condescending. It does nothing if you stoup to their level.

Nafe

Is he super perfect to the point of Mary Suedom and make everyone else look useless?

He's not at Mana's level, no. He actually has to win people over to start with and they don't just automatically love him either.

The character
Utchi
is better in my opinion. Pretty much in every way honestly, haha.

You know, I think I'd be okay with the idea of a character that
starts off overpowered but ends up weaker than everyone else because of their inability to improve
, but you make it sound like that's not going to be a case so it's a shame :lol

Haha, we'll see. I'll let you know how it turns out if you want when I get around to watching it.

I just started myself. I like Kamen Rider Wizard and think Haruto's a cool guy but the show definitely does have some problems. We'll see how it finishes up. Looks like it ends around the start of September and then the next one starts up. It sounds like it's theme will be based around
Samurai.

Just make sure you do it a clear, not-condensending, level headed manner if you're going to do it. The biggest problem we have in Japanese related thread is people on our side making the other side's point for them/be really condescending. It does nothing if you stoup to their level.

Well it's a good thing you said this, otherwise I'd probably would've done so. The lack of activity is giving me time to think.

He's not at Mana's level, no. He actually has to win people over to start with and they don't just automatically love him either.

The character
Utchi
is better in my opinion. Pretty much in every way honestly, haha.

Haha, we'll see. I'll let you know how it turns out if you want when I get around to watching it.

I just started myself. I like Kamen Rider Wizard and think Haruto's a cool guy but the show definitely does have some problems. We'll see how it finishes up. Looks like it ends around the start of September and then the next one starts up. It sounds like it's theme will be based around
Samurai.

I see. I guess that's okay...

yami4ct

There are levels of racism. Even if it's on the low-end, it's still a pretty hateful generalization.

It's probably not real racism, but it's a stupid generalization of a whole culture and the people who enjoy some of the content that culture produces. It's exactly this kind of behavior that I feel like makes Stump's point from yesterday. It's this type of stuff that makes GameingGaf unfriendly towards anime people.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Give me a moment, I'm waiting for the right opportunity.

How the thread will look immediately afterward:

Kirbyguy's post in the thread

image.php

came here to post this.

lololol yeah. moe weeaboo white knighting his GLORIOUS NIPPON? thread delivers

yeah, I think this guy doth protest too much.

Branduil

There are levels of racism. Even if it's on the low-end, it's still a pretty hateful generalization.

If you're talking about the post everyone is quoting, I don't think it's worth getting upset about. Moe is a known phenomenon originating in Japan, and there's nothing in that post that specifically calls anyone a pedophile or says everyone in Japan likes it.

I don't know what else has been posted in that thread, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom