• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go_Ly_Dow

I highly doubt it.

xy7i7c1.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZeET4WB2As

Articalys

Yuki Kaji, Hiro Shimono, and Yui Ishikawa try their damnedest to not completely butcher the Attack on Titan OP song. I'd say they fared okay.

I'll be really interested to see how well the full CD single fares once it goes on sale in a month.

So I went home this morning and found a speeding ticket in the mail. One of those roadside speed camera vans. On private property. How is that legal? $150 bucks Im charged. But fuck it. I got K-on figures. Life is still groovy. YOLO.

Minnesota actually ruled that as illegal. I remember this because my brother got a ticket from being caught on a camera like that and ended up getting his money back because of the ruling.

Jex

You know what really bothered me about Gargantia - 8? Of course you don't, because you can't read my mind. It was the revelation of the name of another character - Chevron. I'm officially sick of this naming convention:

Bellows
Flange
Pinion
Chevron

It's the worst!

[Aku no Hana] - 8

Now, I understand the reasoning behind the extremely slow sequence in this episode. I get it. I've seen the technique used before and I've even defended its usage in works such as Neon Genesis Evangelion. However in this particular case I feel like the director went too far. From the end of the title sequence to the first words of spoken dialogue six minutes of time passed. It's not so much the fact that they went so long without talking, it's rather that they went so long without showing us anything in particular. Hundreds upon hundreds of seconds flew past and yet we only actually had about 11 cuts. One cut in particular lasted one hundred seconds and it was nothing more than Kasuga and Nakamura walking forward agonizingly slowly. I don't care how pretty your visuals are or how beautiful the music is when the actual content is so painfully mundane.

Now, I understand the counter-argument to this: the whole point was that is was slow and lengthy, so that both we and the characters could reflect on the actions that they had undertaken and to allow us all to come down from that peak that had been reached. That's exactly right, but they could have achieved the same effect without devoting quite so much time to it. Three minutes, at most, would have been plenty. I just don't feel like they did enough with those six minutes to justify their existence and it started to feel like padding before it was over. After all, if you want to argue that the scene was effective because it went on so long how long is enough? 8 minutes? 12 minutes? 24 minutes? I felt what the director wanted me to feel after a few minutes. A few minutes after that, however, and I just started to get bored. What's worse is that when I arrived at the very satisfying end of the episode I felt like the director had kept those earlier sequences as long as they were just so that enough time had been filled to allow the episode to end right here.

It was a risky directorial decision - and one that, as you say, was no doubt in part designed to let the episode end on the moment it did. It ran the danger of alienating a large portion of its audience, and obviously did, as it alienated you, though Nagahama clearly doesn't care about that. It that sense, it reminds me of the driving sequence in Tarkovsky's Solaris, which just goes on and on in the depiction of a menial, seemingly meaningless event. And I would say that, if there's a general directing flaw I could attribute to Aku no Hana, it would be the tendency as part of its overall contemplative style to linger a bit too long on certain scenes. (Though at the same time, I respect it for being willing to do so, since it runs against the grain of the Internet culture's high-speed, multitasking, hyperlinked distraction.)

With that said, I think what made this sequence work for me, as opposed to, say, some of the walking during the date sequence in episode 5, is that it created an emotional mood that I wanted to linger in so powerfully. When I was living in Austin, and I wanted to be alone with my thoughts, I would cue up some ambient electronic music on my iPod and take to the deserted streets at nighttime, letting the calm sounds and the atmosphere of a city at rest seep into my soul. It was a meditative, even spiritual experience, and the beginning of this episode captured the essence of that for me. Even deeper than that was the bond between Kasuga and Nakamura that their walking hand-in-hand spoke louder of than words ever could. Unlike so many of the silences in this series, the silences in the final scene of this episode for instance, it was not awkward, it was not tense, it was souls communing in harmony with each other. It spoke of that desire to be together, that having each other by their side was enough for now. When they got to the end and Nakamura turned away towards her home, I felt the reluctance to part from what had just happened. I would have been happy if the sequence had been twice as long, honestly.

But whether something like this is effective or too exaggerated is an intensely subjective determination, of course. As someone who feels music intensely, I will admit that strong music can hold me engaged longer than it would most people.

Your framing analysis is excellent and thoughtful, as always. One comment:

There's a couple of other great Saeki close up's as well, especially this one:

AnH818Copy_zpsd6018c0a.jpg~original

which is only worth noting because Saeki has a very expressive face and is often smiling, something which clearly isn't happening here.

This shot is also noteworthy for how it cuts off half of Saeki's face. When you divide the frame like that, especially with all the empty space on the left side, you speak of someone who is psychologically disordered, who is not whole inside. Compare it to the earlier image you posted:

Where she appears in her entirety and centered in the frame, happy and psychologically whole. The contrast between the two shots, before and after her discovery of the classroom, shows how much her usual serenity has been thrown into turmoil. The camera breaks her apart just as she has been broken inside.

Kasuga has turned away from what he's done and there's a really strong visual conflict in the image between the rigid, cool concrete and the colourful and organic natural image. It's a split that runs right through the middle of him. I would assume, although I may well be wrong on this, that it
represents the conflict within himself between the part of him that wants to confess and come clean and the part that wishes the entire affair to be hidden and buried

I think
Saeki and Nakamura symbolize for Kasuga two directions he can choose to go in. He can confess everything to Saeki, have an open and frank conversation with her about his feelings, and live a healthy life with her in the light. Or he can continue to run away and hide from himself and his actions and instead run into the cruel comfort Nakamura offers, confirming everything about himself that he loathes but affirming that it is not something to be loathed, living a perverted life with her in the darkness. Those are the two options that he has been caught between the entire series. He's been trying to leave both of them open, but now things have reached the point where that is becoming impossible and he must make a choice before it is made for him.

I just pretend the Yu-Gi-Oh spin-offs don't exist since Takahashi isn't really involved anymore.

Same here. First card battles in school, than motorcycles, and now in space? Yeah. Who thought a children's card game would have such influence that it would literally go out of this world.

CorvoSol

You know what really bothered me about Gargantia - 8? Of course you don't, because you can't read my mind. It was the revelation of the name of another character - Chevron. I'm officially sick of this naming convention:

Bellows
Flange
Pinion
Chevron

It's the worst!

It seems really Zelda to me.

Now here's my ranks for this season:

1. Gargantia

2. Valvrave

3. MJP

Gargantia is the best of the three, far and away, and while I don't love Valvrave like Anime-GAF does, it entertains me more than MJP, and its action is more hindered by its clusterfuck mecha designs than that those mecha are CG, whereas MJP's action is hindered by being CG and having clusterfuck designs.

Ranking what I'm currently watching:

1. The Count of Monte Cristo- It's literature, bitch.
2. Gun x Sword- I'm all about revenge stories.
3. Kiddy Grade- Only because I never expected this much out of it.
4. Code Geass- My watercooler show.
5. Slayers- I can't tell if its because the first season doesn't hold up as much, or because I just have seen it a million times.
6. ZZ Gundam- UC Gundam is only better than AC Gundam because AC Gundam is weighed down by terrible shows like 00 and AGE.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sailor Moon Stars 167:

shit is REALER THAN REAL right from the first episode. Somebody hold me, I'm scared. This whole season is just going to be one giant endgame arc, isn't it? I mean, man, I don't even know where to begin. everybody and everything is going to DIEEEEEEEEEEE.

new OP
sucks.
generic 90s soft j-pop or whatever the hell it is, it's not distinctive or memorable at all. And Toei still isn't bringing back Moonlight Densetsu for Sailor Moon 201X? come oooooon

Kaoru and Michiru are BACK YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS yes yes yes. This whole episode was basically a giant apology for how inconsequential everything in SuperS was. If it wasn't for Nehelenia being the antagonist again, it's like SuperS never even happened what with basically every major player from S being back. Their shock at seeing Pluto alive also retroactively makes Black Dream Hole even stupider :lol

Not thrilled by the copypasta MotWs but I'm guessing that this is temporary. I think I've also lost count of the number of times the show has trolled us with the fake prospect of Chibiusa leaving. The sorry individuals who never warm up to her must have had an aneurysm during that scene.

oh shit I don't think I'm ready for evil Mamoru. Please don't do anything that leaves a bitter taste in my mouth after a 200-episode investment, Mamoru.

YO DAMN

oh, and ;______________________________;

I just pretend the Yu-Gi-Oh spin-offs don't exist since Takahashi isn't really involved anymore.

5D's was good though.

Articalys

An interesting question-answer pair from this morning's open Toonami Q&A:
Are you guys able to talk about the specifics for the Toonami/Sword Art Online arrangement?

Here’s as specific as we can get: We very much wanted to work with Aniplex. They have several shows we are interested in. Sword Art Online was the show they very much wanted to see on Toonami, and a show WE had heard from a lot of Toonami fans about. We watched a few (no, not all) episodes, reached an agreement, and now we’re premiering the show in August!
There's some other good stuff in the rest of the responses too (including answering "What classic anime do you feel every anime fan should watch?" with "Ranma 1/2"); take a look through the rest of the page if you have time.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Too bad the anime looked like ass. It even got cancelled :lol

Half of the problem is that it's only available on VHS. Even so, it might rival Max Heart for the most consistently-QUALITY Toei show of all time.

Considering how extraordinarily insane everything about the show is, though, the really terrible character designs and loads of jank help to sell the whole thing.

Yugioh was the shit during the god cards series. Everything went downhill when they replaced the characters. Number 1 rule of Shounen, don't replace the main characters.

cajunator

Banned
Why would you suffer 95 episodes of this crap though? It doesn't make any sense.

Its called hate watching.
A common practice round these parts.

Minnesota actually ruled that as illegal. I remember this because my brother got a ticket from being caught on a camera like that and ended up getting his money back because of the ruling.

One plus for Minnesota then. Louisiana gotta get that cheddar. The sad part is meanwhile road construction and other govt services get neglected. So all this money is just going into politician pockets. thats the main reason Im pissed off about it. It wont even help the city.

Yugioh was the shit during the god cards series. Everything went downhill when they replaced the characters. Number 1 rule of Shounen, don't replace the main characters.

I dont know. Battle City ought to have closed the series off and such it was so good.

The cast of Yugioh GX was far stronger and memorable, Chazz and Jaden unforgettable, and Cyrus Truesdale had the best deck of all.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I dont know. Battle City ought to have closed the series off and such it was so good.

The cast of Yugioh GX was far stronger and memorable, Chazz and Jaden unforgettable, and Cyrus Truesdale had the best deck of all.

You don't like the DOMA arc? It has these dudes.

Is this the part where I contemplate it as a thought for a few seconds and then throw it on a list like I always do?

Only if you're a bad person.

Better to close off their story and start afresh than dragging it and making sure everyone hates it by the end.

cajunator

Banned

Bellows
Flange
Pinion
Chevron

It's the worst!

I love this kind of naming convention. Sounds very steampunkish.

2 CDs plus the OVA

Ohh. 2 CDs? Shit I should order it now. I have been ordering things more separately lately to keep them from getting hung up by delays and stuff. That kind of thing nnoys me.

This image sums up why I like the original cast:

yu-gi-oh-characters-tagging-picture-chart-for-facebook1.jpg

It was such a diverse set of characters who acted differently with each other and had their own intentions.

Yugioh (first series, not season 0) was one of 4kids better dubs IMO. And when I say better I mean not abysmal like their other dubs. Good in some areas, but others....

"BE VERY CAREFUL JOEY!"

"What a digital dummy!"

Speaking of 4kids, I should probably get around to watching the Japanese dubs of the shows they tainted sometime. I probably won't do Yugioh for a long time however, since I can't imagine anyone other than Dan Green playing Yugi.

But still, I have learned of good things about the Japanese Sonic X. That is, back when it finished a few years ago.

I don't know what the general opinion is today, now that I've taken a looong break from Sonic things. But maybe I should give the Japanese version a shot and see how it goes.

Dresden

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-06-19/ricotta-adult-game-walkure-romanze-gets-tv-anime

The August issue of Enterbrain's Tech Gian magazine is announcing on Saturday that a television anime adaptation of Ricotta's adult PC game Walkure Romanze Shōjo Kishi Monogatari has been green-lit.

The visual novel centers around Takahiro Mizuno, a student training to be a begleiter (knight's assistant) at an academy where aspiring knights joust. He himself had come to this academy to train as a knight, after becoming the unrivaled junior champion in his own home country. However, an injury in a tournament's finals forced him to withdraw. Instead, he decides to be a begleiter to one of the academy's maiden knights and help her win.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sailor Moon Stars 168:

aka
"Hotaru Has Three Mommies
"

damn, poor
Tomoe. Gets his life back only to have the pleasure of watching his child grow up robbed from him.

It's pretty impressive just how much more subdued and mature Usagi is this season. They're really nailing the sense that everyone is growing up. Her character design is even subtly more mature; slightly smaller eyes, less extreme expressions. She's serious about being a good future waifu for Mamoru. My only worry is that since this seems to be a plot-heavy season that the other senshi are going to have fewer fun moments, but this is likely entirely unfounded.

[.IMG]http://facebookcraze.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/yu-gi-oh-characters-tagging-picture-chart-for-facebook1.jpg[/IMG]

It was such a diverse set of characters who acted differently with each other and had their own intentions.

That you can give each character a generic phrase to generalize them and fill them up in a matrix till all the spots are filled?

http://facebookcraze.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/yu-gi-oh-characters-tagging-picture-chart-for-facebook1.jpg[/IM]

It was such a diverse set of characters who acted differently with each other and had their own intentions.[/QUOTE]

Why no characters that arent introduced after Duelist Kingdom and Battle City. They left off Duke Devlin, a personal favorite.

Why no characters that arent introduced after Duelist Kingdom and Battle City. They left off Duke Devlin, a personal favorite.

Funny enough Duke Devlin is introduced in between Duelist Kingdom and Battle City.

But I guess The Jerk, The Rich One, The Hottie, The Bully, The Know-It-All, The Schemer, The Punk and The Flirt were all taken, they just couldn't add him in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom