• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

As long as we're talking Yu-Gi-Oh, might as well (re)post this amusing skit from the YGO World Championships a couple years ago, where Dan Green and Frank Frankson voice a (scripted) in-character duel between Yugi and Yusei. Complete with all the bullshit luck you remember from the TV show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUp9jL6MF9c

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Maybe when we're able to convince someone else to watch Jewelpet.

Lightning only struck once for me. And then it burned the whole thread down :(

Yugioh (first series, not season 0) was one of 4kids better dubs IMO. And when I say better I mean not abysmal like their other dubs. Good in some areas, but others....

"BE VERY CAREFUL JOEY!"

"What a digital dummy!"

Speaking of 4kids, I should probably get around to watching the Japanese dubs of the shows they tainted sometime. I probably won't do Yugioh for a long time however, since I can't imagine anyone other than Dan Green playing Yugi.

But still, I have learned of good things about the Japanese Sonic X. That is, back when it finished a few years ago.

I don't know what the general opinion is today, now that I've taken a looong break from Sonic things. But maybe I should give the Japanese version a shot and see how it goes.

The difference between Yugi and Yami Yugi's voices in the JP dub are more subtle. It's pretty jarring for a while, but I got used to it. No one else is particularly distinctive, although Pegasus' English voice is, shockingly, actually a really good approximation of his JP voice.

Cardcaptor Sakura 27

32qP3.jpg

This episode was rather interesting, since it fleshes out character relationships more from the last episode. The start of this anime was rather interesting when it was doing its best to establish the relationships with each character, somewhat like the internet. But first...

Jesus fucking christ, Sakura. JESUS CHRIST! Did you just realize this now? I mean, Tomoyo noticed RIGHT off the bat about Li's affection for Yukito, the second most loved character in the series, with Sakura being number 1. I mean Tomoyo has gone off the bat like what, 10 times, telling you that Li likes Yukito, and it didn't stick with you at all until he actually said something about it. This is a new level of blunt for main characters. Probably not Harem protags though.

OF COURSE, SEXUAL DEVIANTRY, BECAUSE CLAMP!

This was the part that made this episode interesting considering the clow card, Return, sent Sakura into the past, so it fleshed out Toya's relationship with the Teacher. I'm guessing her studying abroad is the main reason why his new lover is Yukito. This makes DTL quite happy.

The teacher continues to add a flavor to the show that has been missing for a bit, and has made this more interesting again. And we even find out that Li can blush when a girl hugs him. Man Meilin would be so pissed right now.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
With that said, I think what made this sequence work for me, as opposed to, say, some of the walking during the date sequence in episode 5, is that it created an emotional mood that I wanted to linger in so powerfully. When I was living in Austin, and I wanted to be alone with my thoughts, I would cue up some ambient electronic music on my iPod and take to the deserted streets at nighttime, letting the calm sounds and the atmosphere of a city at rest seep into my soul. It was a meditative, even spiritual experience, and the beginning of this episode captured the essence of that for me. Even deeper than that was the bond between Kasuga and Nakamura that their walking hand-in-hand spoke louder of than words ever could. Unlike so many of the silences in this series, the silences in the final scene of this episode for instance, it was not awkward, it was not tense, it was souls communing in harmony with each other. It spoke of that desire to be together, that having each other by their side was enough for now. When they got to the end and Nakamura turned away towards her home, I felt the reluctance to part from what had just happened. I would have been happy if the sequence had been twice as long, honestly.
I haven't watched it yet but there are other ways to accomplish what you desire without resorting to what amounts to lazy and lingering shots with little thought put into them. Aku no Hana is already an anime that I would consider to be short on time, so when long stretches of time go to waste or don't maximize their yield the show is failing to be everything it can.

If the sequence involved basking in the contrast between the deviancy of Kasuga/Nakamura and the very plain town around them as they head out back into it that would be one thing. Creating a mood is fine, but I have an infinite amount of respect more for art that can do that while staying on point with its themes and messages. It honestly does not sound like enough work went into the scenes.

cajunator

Banned
I don't know, people suffered to the point that they can't finish Max Heart, so there's that.

But then there's this.

I have limits guys, I just don't display it well.

People even finished Max Heart. Theres no limit to it. Gaffers will watch the worst dreck possible, completely disgusted the entire time, slap a 1/10 on it and then recommend it to others. Its a beautiful process.

People even finished Max Heart. Theres no limit to it. Gaffers will watch the worst dreck possible, completely disgusted the entire time, slap a 1/10 on it and then recommend it to others. Its a beautiful process.

The problem is that they're generally obliged to watching it, and even then, I've seen a lot of people struggling to even finish. I couldn't even get people to hatewatch it together!

Thoraxes

So, if any of you are interested, I made a new video on Youtube where I talk for a bit then paint in super fast forward so you don't have to watch for 2 hours. It's about 22 minutes long if you all want to see what I do with a lot of my spare time.

Here is the link.

This was cool. I always like watching videos of people working on their art.

/XX/

Recapping now... have you guys seen some reports/articles or interviews about Hiroyuki Yamaga's (now habitual) appearance at recently ended FanimeCon 2013:

Guests of Honor | FanimeCon 2013
http://www.fanime.com/events-and-exhibits/guests-of-honor/#yamaga

Not finding any from some of the same sources as in last year's edition (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38454041&postcount=4515 & http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38767737&postcount=8180).

Hoping Michael Huang spills some of those juicy beans soon:

Twitter / gendomike: Just had a great conversation ... said:
Just had a great conversation with Hiroyuki Yamaga about Aoki Uru, Gainax, and #fanime. Apparently his most memorable time was a strip club…
http://twitter.com/gendomike/status/338776725896962049

Kurita

What is this Nisekoi show I keep hearing about?
The premise I mean.

A romcom/harem with a dude who gave keys to different girls when they were kids.
He promised to marry/go out with/whatever the girl whose key opens his pendant.
MangaGAF's favorite rage-inducing harem!

I'm not sure why i'm contemplating Nisekoi since Harem shows haven't been doing much for me when I truly started getting back into the tide of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom