• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I should just get out of the water altogether, dry off, and try and get a tan.
Skin cancer is bad.

Really? No wonder SuperS is my least favorite Sailormoon season.
Toei basically felt that the audience that started with the original Sailor Moon had grown up and moved on and wanted to refocus on a new set. Ikuhara being Ikuhara, the show still featured a lot of rather adult imagery. It's basically the most Precure of the series and still features a bunch of top-notch episodes, although it's just those made by Ikuhara, Satou, and Igarashi for the most part.

Then they went mea culpa with Stars and went back to what they were doing before.

Jarmel

Banned
It's Gundam AGE because in the third arc of Gundam AGE we see that the so-called villain, Ezelcant, is a much more benevolent and humane entity than the so-called hero, Flit. And then the writer realizes this and so he contrives shit to make the guy who looks good look bad so that the poor, defenseless protagonist doesn't look so awful.

Which is what is happening here. Somebody just realized that Lelouch looks like an unrepentant douche bag compared to Suzaku, hit the red button, and torpedoed Suzaku's character in the most obscenely blunt way they could.

Suzaku being tired of playing by the rules is one thing. Suzaku suddenly switching gears full stop from "I should follow the rules!" to "The ends justify the means! Let's have a coup! Let's kill the Emperor!" is another entirely.

If you listen closely, you can practically hear his character being derailed.

Suzaku looked good in comparison to Lelouch? Suzaku's character was always that of a scumbag.

zeroshiki

Also, Suzaku's motivations and character is completely consistent.

He wants to liberate Japan first and foremost and felt at first that playing by the rules and changing Brittania from within was the best way to do this. But because of the shit he sees in the World of C and the thing with Euphemia he makes a logical change in path. His final objective remains the same he just chooses a different way to do it.

So.... Valvrave... LOL.

1) Valvrave has been clear from the beginning about being a silly comedy.

2) It is a split-cour show, and has been planned that way from the beginning. This isn't a case where it was only renewed for a second season after it became popular and then the writers had to scramble to figure out how to keep it going. It's more like one season with an airing break in the middle.

Hataraku Maou-Sama 9

34SxC.jpg

Ashiya has to be one of the biggest bros of this season. Another great episode overall.

CorvoSol

One more episode is all you need to see. Reactions to that episode are so good and so awesome to watch.

Everything after that is just meh and more stupid. Except for the ending.

This is not encouraging in any way.

Skin cancer is bad.

I spent two years in Brazil, I'm pretty sure I'm doomed anyway.

Suzaku looked good in comparison to Lelouch? Suzaku's character was always that of a scumbag.

Have you met Lelouch? The sociopath who murders friends and family at the drop of the hat, laughs about it, then mind rapes school girls because he can? Suzaku is a goddamn saint compared to Lelouch.

Also, it's probably better to see the ending of CG before you can make a final judgment on the main characters.

I've seen 40 episodes of this goddamn show. If the last 5 episodes really alter my perception of 40 episodes of characterization that much, it's only further testament to the bullshit writing at work in them.

zeroshiki

Valvrave is also awful.

Being campy and over the top like Geass is one thing. Basically doing Code Geass episode 21 over and over is not.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
1) Valvrave has been clear from the beginning about being a silly comedy.

2) It is a split-cour show, and has been planned that way from the beginning. This isn't a case where it was only renewed for a second season after it became popular and then the writers had to scramble to figure out how to keep it going. It's more like one season with an airing break in the middle.

Well I was talking more in line with how Kagari mentioned Sunrise can't do S2's for shit. Even if it's a split cour I'd consider the latter half of Valvrave S2. If Sunrise tradition continues, I was just saying the insanity would be magnified in the latter half. It's more of a joke comment than anything really. lol.

Jarmel

Banned
Also, Suzaku's motivations and character is completely consistent.

He wants to liberate Japan first and foremost and felt at first that playing by the rules and changing Brittania from within was the best way to do this. But because of the shit he sees in the World of C and the thing with Euphemia he makes a logical change in path. His final objective remains the same he just chooses a different way to do it.

His methods are so insanely counterproductive that his intentions hardly matter. If there is a character attached to the saying "The Road to Hell is Paved with Good Intentions", his dumbass would be right there.

Have you met Lelouch? The sociopath who murders friends and family at the drop of the hat, laughs about it, then mind rapes school girls because he can? Suzaku is a goddamn saint compared to Lelouch.

He was always upfront about his goals and the lengths he was going to go in regards to them. The difference between Lelouch and Suzaku is that Lelouch is actually smart about it for the most part.

Narag

Yu-Gi-Oh S0 2

Think I read the manga stories were rewritten and extended to last the length of an individual episode and it sure shows. Lots of fluff around the strong penalty game stuff.

Got some Nobuyuki Hiyama out of this though which pleased me. Really liked this bit in the manga and it was cool to see it animated even if
Yugi didn't brutally burn a man alive.

Kaiba next ep! DUEL MONSTERS!

Hmm, I can't just sit by while CorvoSol drops Code Geass but I can't think of anything other than dropping hints at the ending to keep him watching. Do you think saying that
Suzaku has a better ending than Lelouch
is a safe statement to make?

Roubjon

Hey guys, think you could give me some recommendations? I watched all of Evangelion last winter without knowing anything about it and it instantly became my favorite series. I guess it comes down to me loving shows that have tons of mysteries, questions, mind fucks, and an all around general lack of clarity.

That isn't all I like though. I really enjoyed watching Mushi-shi and other quieter shows. Now, I've seen probably around 1/3rd of Monster and then I dropped it for no good reason, so I'm thinking I should probably watch that over again too, considering I thought it was pretty good.

JCG

It's Gundam AGE because in the third arc of Gundam AGE we see that the so-called villain, Ezelcant, is a much more benevolent and humane entity than the so-called hero, Flit. And then the writer realizes this and so he contrives shit to make the guy who looks good look bad so that the poor, defenseless protagonist doesn't look so awful.

Which isn't really what is happening here, in my honest opinion, but I'll answer part of that below.

Which is what is happening here. Somebody just realized that Lelouch looks like an unrepentant douche bag compared to Suzaku, hit the red button, and torpedoed Suzaku's character in the most obscenely blunt way they could.

Suzaku being tired of playing by the rules is one thing. Suzaku suddenly switching gears full stop from "I should follow the rules!" to "The ends justify the means! Let's have a coup! Let's kill the Emperor!" is another entirely.

If you listen closely, you can practically hear his character being derailed.

But that's the point...why do you think he's switching gears, from an in-universe perspective?

Lots of terrible things have happened to Suzaku, starting with how the first season ended, where he gave into his rage, even if it was for a good reason. This much had already begun to change his personality towards a less idealistic direction, even though he was still trying to uphold his beliefs in spite of that.

He still thought everything could be resolved through using the right methods, even if he was willing to try a few harsher and dirtier tricks around the edges. And now a huge massacre just happened.

His admirable ideals weren't enough to prevent it and he can't exactly pretend that he'll make up for it by striving even harder for them now. The scale of the tragedy overrules that line of thinking. He's not the only person to blame for it, since Lelouch clearly has his own hands dirty in this too, but again...Suzaku has already been established as a bit of a masochist, long before this turn of events. Do you really think he wouldn't blame himself?

You can consider him "derailed" but my argument is that a sufficiently horrible event can do that to a person, even if the specific event is implausible or exaggerated like these stupid twists. And again, Lelouch isn't exactly starting to behave like a saint with no blame or guilt who'd be morally "superior" to Suzaku as a result.

fertygo

Valvrave knows it's terrible.

Why you saying R2 weren't?
Takeuchi given up when his idea for S2 rejected.

Hey guys, think you could give me some recommendations? I watched all of Evangelion last winter without knowing anything about it and it instantly became my favorite series. I guess it comes down to me loving shows that have tons of mysteries, questions, mind fucks, and an all around general lack of clarity.

That isn't all I like though. I really enjoyed watching Mushi-shi and other quieter shows. Now, I've seen probably around 1/3rd of Monster and then I dropped it for no good reason, so I'm thinking I should probably watch that over again too, considering I thought it was pretty good.

RahXephon.

Am I the only one who sees Valvrave not as a "so bad it's good" show, but simply as a good show? In order for it to be the former it'd have to take itself seriously, but it doesn't.

survivor

Banned

Watch Mononoke.

And I guess Angel's Egg and Utena as well.

CorvoSol

He was always upfront about his goals and the lengths he was going to go in regards to them. The difference between Lelouch and Suzaku is that Lelouch is actually smart about it for the most part.

No he isn't? This is the same sloppy Lelouch who, rather than make ANY smart decisions regarding Shirley, erased only her memories of him, drawing more attention than he deflected. The same Lelouch who abandons his plans at the drop of a hat without any contingency whatsoever. The same Lelouch who frequently wasted his one use Geass on key players for trivial commands.

Lelouch is staggeringly sloppy.

Hey guys, think you could give me some recommendations? I watched all of Evangelion last winter without knowing anything about it and it instantly became my favorite series. I guess it comes down to me loving shows that have tons of mysteries, questions, mind fucks, and all around a general lack of clarity.

That isn't all I like though. I really enjoyed watching Mushi-shi and other quieter shows. Now, I've seen probably around 1/3rd of Monster and then I dropped it for no good reason, so I'm thinking I should probably watch that over again too, considering I though it was pretty good.

Kino's Journey, Boogiepop Phantom, Shigofumi, and Haibane Renmei all come to mind as great slower paced and mysterious anime for you. Also did you see the End of Evangelion movie as well? If not you should fix that.

edit:Can't believe I forgot to toss in Paranoia Agent in there, definitely should watch that too.

Jarmel

Banned
No he isn't? This is the same sloppy Lelouch who, rather than make ANY smart decisions regarding Shirley, erased only her memories of him, drawing more attention than he deflected. The same Lelouch who abandons his plans at the drop of a hat without any contingency whatsoever. The same Lelouch who frequently wasted his one use Geass on key players for trivial commands.

Lelouch is staggeringly sloppy.

Lelouch had a weak spot in regards to Shirley and it was noted multiple times. He actually can be sentimental towards multiple people in the show most of which he later regrets. If he was truly inhuman, Suzaku would have long been in the grave.

CorvoSol

Quite literally anything other than Rah Xephon. It'd be like Evangelion reruns except worse in every way imaginable. Do yourself a favor and watch The Big O instead.

Which isn't really what is happening here, in my honest opinion, but I'll answer part of that below.

But that's the point...why do you think he's switching gears, from an in-universe perspective?

Lots of terrible things have happened to Suzaku, starting with how the first season ended, where he gave into his rage, even if it was for a good reason. This much had already began to change his personality towards a less idealistic direction, even though he was still trying to uphold his beliefs in spite of that.

He still thought everything could be resolved through using the right methods, even if he was willing to try a few harsher and dirtier tricks around the edges. And now a huge massacre just happened.

His admirable ideals weren't enough to prevent it and he can't exactly pretend that he'll make up for it by striving even harder for them now. The scale of the tragedy overrules that line of thinking. He's not the only person to blame for it, since Lelouch clearly has his hands dirty in this too, but again...Suzaku has already been established as a bit of a masochist, long before this turn of events. Do you really think he wouldn't blame himself?

You can consider him "derailed" but my argument is that a sufficiently horrible event can do that to a person.

Having an in-universe explanation doesn't change what it is. They had an in-universe explanation for Ezelcant's Mustache Twirling Plan, too, and it was even thematically opposed to Flit's anti-Vegan rhetoric. You can dress up ruining a character for the sake of saving another any way you want, but it still is what it is.

Lelouch had a weak spot in regards to Shirley and it was noted multiple times. He actually can be sentimental towards multiple people in the show most of which he later regrets. If he was truly inhuman, Suzaku would have long been in the grave.

He's never sentimental. This is the same guy who
MURDERS HIS SISTER
and laughs about it. Suzaku's still alive because Lelouch is an incompetent who blew his one command on Suzaku with "LIVE" instead of literally anything. The fact that he can Command people to obey him is in and of itself another ridiculous thing. In the episode I just watched he commanded dudes "Obey" and they had to do WHATEVER he said. Why doesn't he use this exact command on EVERYONE?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
hummingbird just had to chose the exact moment that I decided to finally upload a banner to shit itself. feels bad

Yu-Gi-Oh S0 2

Think I read the manga stories were rewritten and extended to last the length of an individual episode and it sure shows. Lots of fluff around the strong penalty game stuff.

Got some Nobuyuki Hiyama out of this though which pleased me. Really liked this bit in the manga and it was cool to see it animated even if
Yugi didn't brutally burn a man alive.

Kaiba next ep! DUEL MONSTERS!

I'm fully ready to acknowledge that I've vastly overhyped the show, so I offer preemptive apologies if you end up not experiencing the sort of constant euphoric incredulity that I experienced watching this. I appreciate the effort though :lol

JCG

Having an in-universe explanation doesn't change what it is. They had an in-universe explanation for Ezelcant's Mustache Twirling Plan, too, and it was even thematically opposed to Flit's anti-Vegan rhetoric. You can dress up ruining a character for the sake of saving another any way you want, but it still is what it is.

Well, I don't see where this is saving Lelouch at Suzaku's expense. Lelouch is already on the road to damnation, figuratively and not-so-figuratively speaking.

His attitude is all like "yes, I screwed up and lost all these people or things because I'm a liar and a shitty person....so fuck everything, I'm finishing this off" right now.

I don't see how that makes Suzaku worse than him. In fact, I'd consider Suzaku better than Lelouch in purely moral terms, despite this change.

The Emperor isn't exactly such a good guy that
it would make Suzaku's assassination attempt a bad thing.
He's about as much of a bastard as Lelouch.

Boogiepop Phantom
Casshern Sins
From the New World
Kaiba
Mawaru Penguindrum
Mononoke (plus episodes 9-11 of Akayashi: Japanese Classic Horror)
Night on the Galactic Railroad
Noein
Serial Experiments Lain
Vampire Princess Miyu (TV)

That isn't all I like though. I really enjoyed watching Mushi-shi and other quieter shows.

Bunny Drop
Colorful (film)
Dennou Coil
Flowers of Evil
Haibane Renmei
Hotarubi no Mori e
Hyouka
Master Keaton
Natsume's Book of Friends
Wandering Son

Narag

I'm fully ready to acknowledge that I've vastly overhyped the show, so I offer preemptive apologies if you end up not experiencing the sort of constant euphoric incredulity that I experienced watching this. I appreciate the effort though :lol

Kaiba!!

I will spell it Vegan for as long as I live.

It's just endlessly amusing to me to think Flit had a lifelong grudge against people that didn't eat meat.

Branduil

All right then.

I also confuse Ano Hana with Another. Of those two, which is better?

(Don't worry, I've already taken care of Ano Natsu.)

Ano Hana is Mari Okada melodrama. Another is a Tsutomu Mizushima "horror" comedy with such horrible writing that you can't believe it's not Mari Okada.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Hmm, I can't just sit by while CorvoSol drops Code Geass but I can't think of anything other than dropping hints at the ending to keep him watching. Do you think saying that

Let him drop it.

Some people don't deserve to experience greatness.

I honestly wish I could relive Geass once again fresh. Easily the most fun I've ever had watching anime. Fucking amazing franchise.

Nothing will ever come close to it. It's amazing how awfully wrong this place is sometimes.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

The ending is terrible on all fronts. I didn't like it even if the character who I wanted to live on still did.

zeroshiki

Watch Hyouka. Although it will ruin other shows for you.

Let him drop it.

Some people don't deserve to experience greatness.

I honestly wish I could relive Geass once again fresh. Easily the most fun I've ever had watching anime. Fucking amazing franchise.

Nothing will ever come close to it.

He can't drop it! Not until he hears those three magic words!

You all know what I'm talking about.

Roubjon

Also did you see the End of Evangelion movie as well? If not you should fix that.

Yeah, I saw it and loved the living hell out of it. I couldn't stop thinking about it for days man. I actually re-watched all of Evangelion only 2 months after the first time.

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys, you are damn fast!

CorvoSol

He can't drop it! Not until he hears those three magic words!

You all know what I'm talking about.

Lelouch confessing his undying love to Suzaku?

Because really, that's where this is going. It's gonna be Gun x Sword's
I have nothing but love for you.

Or is it "Nina is dead"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom