• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Putting Ojamajo Doremi on hold. Considering Princess Tutu caught my interest, and people keep yelling at me to watch Utena, it's probably for the best.
doremidespair_zps2121effc.jpg

Necrovex

Berserk Golden Age Arc I: The Egg of the King

When the film was showing its 2D animations, then it was a completely and utterly gorgeous film. However, during the CG moments (and there were a lot of these moments), hot damn, it was like seeing a Wonzo's gif of Kingdom. It was obvious when the film switched between models.

Overall, I really enjoyed this film. I was a little surprised at its short length. I expected it to be an hour and a half long, but only got about an hour and ten minutes worth of content. But the film's pace was extremely fast, but it hit all the major notes (except for Gut's childhood, which deserved at least five minutes).

I plan to watch the second film tomorrow. I just hope the CG isn't a pile of hot garbage. I just want more of those 2D animations! Plus, I hope the film is a tad longer!

Edit: The TV series handled the original material better than the film.

CorvoSol

animegaf is already the cesspit of hell to many gaffers. what difference does it make?

The only bad part of animegaf for me is the part where people whine about the quality of the .gifs of others. It's petty, and we all know it.

ZZ Gundam 21

Chara Soon takes a hostage using her fingernails.

Gundam is DEAD. DEAD.

Meanwhile, Torres has the most badass line to a woman he is jilting EVER: "CLING TO GOD'S SLEEVES, NOT MINE!" Oh, Torres, she can't cling to your sleeves anyway, they're all rolled up! Oh and a bunch of innocent people died. Cecilia's dad is an ass. Daughter has probs and gives him lip and what does he do? Yell at his wife about it.

WOW. Nevermind what I said earlier. This episode was intense, what with
Torres driving a woman to sacrifice her life for others'.

Articalys

Apparently in next month's issue of Jump Square, there's going to be a "big announcement" about Rurouni Kenshin. Whether or not it'll be anything anime related is unknown, but the spinoff Tokuhitsuban manga is also ending in the current issue.

Attack on Titan 3:
Slower episode than the first two, although the second half of the episode had some nice character moments, and I enjoyed seeing Eren making a fool of himself at several moments. It was still enjoyable, but the first half felt a bit too repetitive and had too much military bluster in place of really doing anything interesting. The highlight of the episode was the scene where
the four guys talk briefly about their different experiences with the Titans.

cajunator

Banned
The only bad part of animegaf for me is the part where people whine about the quality of the .gifs of others. It's petty, and we all know it.

ZZ Gundam 21

Chara Soon takes a hostage using her fingernails.

Gundam is DEAD. DEAD.

Meanwhile, Torres has the most badass line to a woman he is jilting EVER: "CLING TO GOD'S SLEEVES, NOT MINE!" Oh, Torres, she can't cling to your sleeves anyway, they're all rolled up! Oh and a bunch of innocent people died. Cecilia's dad is an ass. Daughter has probs and gives him lip and what does he do? Yell at his wife about it.

WOW. Nevermind what I said earlier. This episode was intense, what with
Torres driving a woman to sacrifice her life for others'.

You are a really groovy bird, Corvy-kun.

zeroshiki

Apparently in next month's issue of Jump Square, there's going to be a "big announcement" about Rurouni Kenshin. Whether or not it'll be anything anime related is unknown, but the spinoff Tokuhitsuban manga is also ending in the same issue.

I'd really rather they not do this since there's a 90% chance its gonna suck =/

Blusby

Well, I don't know that I'd say I HATE Lelouch. I HATE Nina. Nina is repulsive and always has been. But I genuinely enjoy Lelouch. I just enjoy him as the slimy, craven, bastard villain of the series, as opposed to well, any other character in the show. Like the Claw, I love-to-hate him, whereas Nina, I just plain hate.
Main reason why Geass R2 was such a flop was that I never got the scene I wanted and expected the most.

Majestic Prince Episode 9 – Disclosure

I would have actually had the disclosure take place maybe at 12 or so, feels early to reveal details in this half, potentially. They could have built it up more and gave it more weight and significance, that is, it resolved events too fast.

zeroshiki

You guys can say Omigawa, you know. Its not like she's Voldemort or Beetlejuice where saying the name means something bad.
or is she?

JCG

Berserk Golden Age Arc I: The Egg of the King

When the film was showing its 2D animations, then it was a completely and utterly gorgeous film. However, during the CG moments (and there were a lot of these moments), hot damn, it was like seeing a Wonzo's gif of Kingdom. It was obvious when the film switched between models.

Overall, I really enjoyed this film. I was a little surprised at its short length. I expected it to be an hour and a half long, but only got about an hour and ten minutes worth of content. But the film's pace was extremely fast, but it hit all the major notes (except for Gut's childhood, which deserved at least five minutes).

I plan to watch the second film tomorrow. I just hope the CG isn't a pile of hot garbage. I just want more of those 2D animations! Plus, I hope the film is a tad longer!

Edit: The TV series handled the original material better than the film.

Not surprising considering the TV series had something like twice as much running time available than the entire trilogy..

Beyond that flaw, I think the movies are watchable even with the incredibly ugly 3D CG. The manga is still the best version of the story though.

CorvoSol

Code Geass R2 20

You know, its actually nice to see Suzaku take responsibility for what he did, even if it wasn't his fault. Boy, I wonder who could profit from this lesson? You know what's even better? Suzaku does not give one single fuck about Nina anymore. Poor guy has played by the rules the whole way, and what does that get him?
Two massacres.
Meanwhile Nina's all "PITYYYYYYYYYYYY MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE."

EHL. OH. EHL. Anya is
Lelouch's mother?
That makes so little sense I can't stop laughing at it.

Really? Really. Reaaally? "What matters are results!" So it is Gundam AGE.

Fuck it.

Fuck this show.

Fuck these writers.

I've put up with this shit for WAY too long. Bad enough I've had to deal with one insane, impossible situation episode by episode up until now, now we have to take Suzaku down the route of Ezelcant so that Lelouch can save some face?

Fuck you, Sunrise.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Code Geass R2 20

You know, its actually nice to see Suzaku take responsibility for what he did, even if it wasn't his fault. Boy, I wonder who could profit from this lesson? You know what's even better? Suzaku does not give one single fuck about Nina anymore. Poor guy has played by the rules the whole way, and what does that get him?
Two massacres.

EHL. OH. EHL. Anya is
Lelouch's mother?

Fuck it.

Fuck this show.

Fuck these writers.

I've put up with this shit for WAY too long. Bad enough I've had to deal with one insane, impossible situation episode by episode up until now, now we have to take Suzaku down the route of Ezelcant so that Lelouch can save some face?

Fuck you, Sunrise.

:lol

That's probably the universal turning point where R2 went from bad to shit.

Code Geass R2 20

Two massacres.

EHL. OH. EHL. Anya is
Lelouch's mother?

Fuck it.

Fuck this show.

Fuck these writers.

Fuck you, Sunrise.

You're dropping it? Please don't. You can't back out now! You're one episode away from seeing the best part!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
LOL. Can you imagine watching the insanity ensue when it was airing?

Like I said during my rewatch - that was the part where I stopped watching it altogether.

Whatever, at least we have Akito now... still waiting for that second OVA...

zeroshiki

:lol

That's probably the universal turning point where R2 went from bad great to shit awesome.

There, I fixed it for you. No need to thank me.

To be somewhat serious though, I always thought that if you approached Geass with no seriousness and logic whatsoever, it becomes way way more enjoyable.

The episode with the FLEIA thing was just so over the top and wtf that it left me speechless. I didn't think they could beat the Euphinator but they did.

JCG

Code Geass R2 20

Two massacres.

EHL. OH. EHL. Anya is
Lelouch's mother?

Fuck it.

Fuck this show.

Fuck these writers.

Fuck you, Sunrise.

I don't really agree with the Gundam AGE comparison here. Neither of them is saving face in this situation.

Suzaku is tired of playing by the rules, because it obviously didn't work for him. But that doesn't make him Ezelcant.

Nor does it make Lelouch, say, Kio or Flit.

DEVIL SURVIVOR 2 THE ANIMATION Episode 9 – Thursday of Shock
tumblr_mnn4srC8lz1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mnn4srC8lz1qbxqfpo2_500.png

The first half of the episode was the highlight for me. Whoever penned it found a great balance between comedy, some intrigue, and then just more comedy and a really deep sense of friendship. I wonder if they asked for extra time for it as if one would have actually spent more time on the action aspect than with this dialogue scene. Not that I would complain about it as the blushing, and Daichi commenting on how close they were made it way worthwhile

I got Evangelion vibes from the Angel in the ionosphere
predictable coming down to Earth as its remainders crushed the surrounds
and felt a bit bored during the whole action sequence and whatever. They could have gave it more bells and whistles Ending scene picked up things again when the ED played.
I too believe Nitta will die, no way anyone could save her.

Characters I want to survive the whole anime: Hibiki, Daichi, Alcor, Hotsuin & Commander Lady, and Scientist.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

To be somewhat serious though, I always thought that if you approached Geass with no seriousness and logic whatsoever, it becomes way way more enjoyable.

That's just it though... season 1 actually took itself fairly serious. But then R2 jumped the shark in a bad, bad way.

zeroshiki

That's just it though... season 1 actually took itself fairly serious. But then R2 jumped the shark in a bad, bad way.

I think because season 1 ended so crazily, they felt like they had to top themselves with R2.

They definitely delivered on the wtf part, no question.

JCG

I'd agree about looking at it with limited "seriousness" but I'd partially question the "no logic" part. The series has more thematic logic than actual plausibility.

There is a method to the madness, sometimes blatantly in retrospect, even when it's also very unrealistic or implausible. That is still a type of logic.

The original series did usually take itself more seriously than R2, of course, but not enough to claim it wasn't already going for over-the-top value at several points, even at the expense of realism and plausibility. At the same time, I'll admit that I definitely prefer the Akito approach to R2's though.

I kind of thought that at the time, but I feel like Season 1 was probably kind of dumb and I just liked it at the time because it looked cool and I wasn't thinking too hard about it.

The first season did generally try to take itself seriously, but it also had the whole Euphemia thing, which was just laughably bad (and probably more egregious in the writing department than anything in R2).

Code Geass was always more entertaining than it was legitimately good, which is what makes it list material.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I kind of thought that at the time, but I feel like Season 1 was probably kind of dumb and I just liked it at the time because it looked cool and I wasn't thinking too hard about it.

The first season did generally try to take itself seriously, but it also had the whole Euphemia thing, which was just laughably bad (and probably more egregious in the writing department than anything in R2).

I recently rewatched both seasons so I still feel that way coming fresh off it. Sunrise really just can't handle season 2s for some reason within the past decade or so.

CorvoSol

You're dropping it? Please don't. You can't back out now! You're one episode away from seeing the best part!

I should drop this show. Every bone in my body says it is the smart thing to do. I should drop this and walk away and never, ever, ever look back. That's what I should do.

I don't really agree with the Gundam AGE comparison here. Neither of them is saving face in this situation.

Suzaku is tired of playing by the rules, because it obviously didn't work for him. But that doesn't make him Ezelcant.

Nor does it make Lelouch, say, Kio or Flit.

It's Gundam AGE because in the third arc of Gundam AGE we see that the so-called villain, Ezelcant, is a much more benevolent and humane entity than the so-called hero, Flit. And then the writer realizes this and so he contrives shit to make the guy who looks good look bad so that the poor, defenseless protagonist doesn't look so awful.

Which is what is happening here. Somebody just realized that Lelouch looks like an unrepentant douche bag compared to Suzaku, hit the red button, and torpedoed Suzaku's character in the most obscenely blunt way they could.

Suzaku being tired of playing by the rules is one thing. Suzaku suddenly switching gears full stop from "I should follow the rules!" to "The ends justify the means! Let's have a coup! Let's kill the Emperor!" is another entirely.

If you listen closely, you can practically hear his character being derailed.

Shergal

For me, Code Geass was always about the spectacle. I never asked for narrative consistency or amazing character arcs, and I never felt they were trying to deliver that.

I think it was thrilling and extremely enjoyable, so it's a good show. Both seasons (although the middle parts get kinda tiring. Both the Mao stuff and the China stuff were totally unnecessary).

Jewelpet Kira Deco 20

Uvsden6.jpg

This show sure likes making its characters fat.

I've always been fond of callbacks to old characters and plot points in serialized narratives. It's a sign that the writer hasn't forgotten what he previously wrote. So I enjoyed seeing the return of the butler that Garnet fired back in episode 2, out for revenge against his former master. It was also jampacked with jokes - thinking back on it now, I'm impressed with just how many jokes were crammed in, both running gags and one-off insanity. This is the pace of humor that I wish Milky Holmes had been able to maintain more regularly.

R7ZzRGq.jpg

Some nice layout and animation work this episode.

It's funny how they threw in a random power-up as an afterthought a couple episodes ago, giving the KiraDeco 5 their own Jewelpods, and have done absolutely squat with it since. With how perfunctory the whole thing was, it really feels like something mandated by the producers that the anime staff marginalized as much as possible. But this episode they gave a much better powerup, as Blue unlocked a costume change by discovering the true power of the butler.

He's such a heartthrob.

zeroshiki

Actually there's a big controversy behind the drastic change in direction: http://gundamnmahq.blogspot.com/2008/08/news-code-geass-r2-not-exactly-as.html

While I don't doubt there might have been friction between Goro and Sunrise, I'd think getting bumped up from late night anime to the Gundam timeslot would be a happy thing for anyone.

I don't disagree that they basically had to retool R2 quite a bit to serve as an introduction to the series again because to a lot of people R2 would have been their introduction to the Geass world. Which is probably why all the crazy shit happenend in R2. Basically only 1 crazy thing happened in S1 but because the audience in R2 is somewhat new, they wanted to do something crazy to top that and then it all went to hell.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I should drop this show. Every bone in my body says it is the smart thing to do. I should drop this and walk away and never, ever, ever look back. That's what I should do.

It's Gundam AGE because in the third arc of Gundam AGE we see that the so-called villain, Ezelcant, is a much more benevolent and humane entity than the so-called hero, Flit. And then the writer realizes this and so he contrives shit to make the guy who looks good look bad so that the poor, defenseless protagonist doesn't look so awful.

Which is what is happening here. Somebody just realized that Lelouch looks like an unrepentant douche bag compared to Suzaku, hit the red button, and torpedoed Suzaku's character in the most obscenely blunt way they could.

Suzaku being tired of playing by the rules is one thing. Suzaku suddenly switching gears full stop from "I should follow the rules!" to "The ends justify the means! Let's have a coup! Let's kill the Emperor!" is another entirely.

If you listen closely, you can practically hear his character being derailed.

The last 5 episodes of R2 are spectacularly dumb. So fucking dumb.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
While I don't doubt there might have been friction between Goro and Sunrise, I'd think getting bumped up from late night anime to the Gundam timeslot would be a happy thing for anyone.

I don't disagree that they basically had to retool R2 quite a bit to serve as an introduction to the series again because to a lot of people R2 would have been their introduction to the Geass world. Which is probably why all the crazy shit happenend in R2. Basically only 1 crazy thing happened in S1 but because the audience in R2 is somewhat new, they wanted to do something crazy to top that and then it all went to hell.
Toei made a similar mandate for Sailor Moon Supers. :/

JCG

Actually there's a big controversy behind the drastic change in direction: http://gundamnmahq.blogspot.com/2008/08/news-code-geass-r2-not-exactly-as.html

While this is also true, because of the time slot change and such, something they don't mention in there is how the staff has acknowledged in other places how they went full speed ahead with making certain events crazier or more ridiculous on purpose, after that decision had already been made.

It's not like one should take just one factor into consideration in isolation from everything else, especially when they're not contradictory elements.

One more episode is all you need to see. Reactions to that episode are so good and so awesome to watch.

Everything after that is just meh and more stupid. Except for the ending.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom