• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Naw it still qualifies even if intentional.

To me that cheapens the value of the "so bad it's good" expression. The point of using it is to say that you're getting enjoyment of the show in a way contrary to the creators' intentions - that you're laughing at them, not laughing with them.

brb, posting this in the Oreimo thread.

These dang kids anime teaching little girls to be OK with teen pregnancy!

Jarmel

Banned
He's never sentimental. This is the same guy who
MURDERS HIS SISTER
and laughs about it. Suzaku's still alive because Lelouch is an incompetent who blew his one command on Suzaku with "LIVE" instead of literally anything. The fact that he can Command people to obey him is in and of itself another ridiculous thing. In the episode I just watched he commanded dudes "Obey" and they had to do WHATEVER he said. Why doesn't he use this exact command on EVERYONE?

He's sentimental multiple times throughout the show. His reactions with C.C. are playful and he truly does care about her, he regarded Suzaku as a friend for a long period even after Suzaku started to interfere, it's shown that he's fully capable of empathy and sympathy for most of the show.

I think the word you're looking for is "hypocrite"

That too.

I got a wink for finishing up The Precure series, from none other than Cure Marine!

tumblr_m7g3qsTRSw1ql63ad.gif

It is now completely worth it.

Lelouch confessing his undying love to Suzaku?

Because really, that's where this is going. It's gonna be Gun x Sword's
I have nothing but love for you.

Or is it "Nina is dead"?

You can't predict Geass R2 ending ... Nobody could ( even if some were in the right direction at the time ) and you won't be able to .

It's something to see experienced.

Jarmel

Banned
You can't predict Geass R2 ending ... Nobody could ( even if some were in the right direction at the time ) and you won't be able to .

It's something to see experienced.

Episode 21 you can't predict. Episode 25 is telegraphed really early. It's fairly obvious what the plan is to a large extent.

CorvoSol

He's sentimental multiple times throughout the show. His reactions with C.C. are playful and he truly does care about her, he regarded Suzaku as a friend for a long period even after Suzaku started to interfere, it's shown that he's fully capable of empathy and sympathy for most of the show.

Oh, yeah, C2, the same woman he
promised never to hurt then bitch slapped almost immediately afterward?
Yeah, he's real sentimental about her. He's never shown to be capable of sympathy nor empathy in the entire show, except toward Nunally. Everyone else is a pawn on his board and his every word to them a lie for the sake of advancing his little match against papa bear for a crime we learn half way through the show he didn't even commit.

JCG

The ending is terrible on all fronts. I didn't like it even if the character who I wanted to live on still did.

I'd disagree with this. The ending has some issues but I definitely don't think of it as terrible at all. Unrealistic as hell? Yes, which is true for the second season in general by now, but I think it's also a very fitting conclusion from a thematic perspective, which is more important to me than plausibility.

He's better off watching Akito at this point.

And I'd agree with this, absolutely, but who knows if CorvoSol even wants to tackle that one...especially given the release format/schedule.

Syrinx

Bakemonogatari 8

So it turns out the Rainy Devil is actually quite a bit different from a monkey's paw. It doesn't grant the wish in a way contrary to the way the owner intended; rather quite the contrary. It grants the dark, subconscious desire that inspired the wish. Much like she did to her old classmates, Suruga attacked Araragi because she, deep down, saw him as a rival in love for Hitagi. And she wanted to hurt him as a result.

Hitagi saves the day though. Because she's like that. But not after giving Araragi a firm talking to. Then she asks Suruga to be by her side in a brief moment of :sdburton.

CorvoSol

I'll finish Code Geass, even though I really shouldn't. I'll finish it and when I do I will bitch at all of you that there is no justice because Nina was still alive at the end. Stupid as this show has gotten, it still isn't utterly awful, like Rah Xephon.

Am I the only one who sees Valvrave not as a "so bad it's good" show, but simply as a good show? In order for it to be the former it'd have to take itself seriously, but it doesn't.

How do you decide if something takes itself seriously or not? Does Valvrave take itself any less seriously than Code Geass? I'm not seeing much difference in presentation.

JCG

I'll finish Code Geass, even though I really shouldn't. I'll finish it and when I do I will bitch at all of you that there is no justice because Nina was still alive at the end. Stupid as this show has gotten, it still isn't utterly awful, like Rah Xephon.

And the show will remain very stupid, even in ways that will anger you, but I hope you'll at least appreciate one or two things about the ending.

fertygo

Everytime we talking about Geass, I remember how fun the internet when its airing.. its never the same anymore, that's why I'll always fond of it, I'm not too critical for the objective value either. Its have 2d mech sakuga, good OST.. good stuff.

Dead

well not really...yet
lol dude

there literally isn't a single thing in code geass that is better than rahxephon

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
All 1 episode of it :(

I appreciate that it focuses on the European side of the conflict and is much more interesting than the Chinese Federation subplot in R2. While yes we have to rely on typical Sunrise time in terms of release the direction they're going is leaning far more on the serious end of things so far.

Jarmel

Banned
To me that cheapens the value of the "so bad it's good" expression. The point of using it is to say that you're getting enjoyment of the show in a way contrary to the creators' intentions - that you're laughing at them, not laughing with them.

Not necessarily. There are some works that are intentionally campy to the degree that it would fall under the moniker "so bad it's good". I think that's especially true in comedies. The two terms aren't necessarily mutually exclusive especially in the comedy genre.

Articalys

Yes, I know, it's Reddit, but Sam "Quarkboy" Pinansky had an open Q&A over there about Anime Sols, which is probably worth skimming through, including this bit:
We aren't licensing anything. Our member companies are providing shows they already own the rights for. Instead, they need to negotiate with people like the directors, writers, and anyone who is owed royalties and get their OK, but that's up to the individual partner to work that out. Our business model makes money for all the partners if we can get about 1 DVD a month to succeed on average.

Narag

Jewelpet Kira Deco 2

4FUY75Nl.jpg

8g1o3Lvl.jpg

ovq93rJl.jpg

Enjoying the facial expressions far more than I ought to be.

er72wBLl.jpg

VWjUha6l.jpg

8mmkn8Pl.png

vJ4iTiz.jpg

Ep was just wonderfully absurd.

Laughed so hard at the beginning of this. Handcuff gag was amazing. In fact, everything related to Jewelland's legal system is hilarious. Really glad I started watching this.

cajunator

Banned
This is not encouraging in any way.

I spent two years in Brazil, I'm pretty sure I'm doomed anyway.

Have you met Lelouch? The sociopath who murders friends and family at the drop of the hat, laughs about it, then mind rapes school girls because he can? Suzaku is a goddamn saint compared to Lelouch.

I've seen 40 episodes of this goddamn show. If the last 5 episodes really alter my perception of 40 episodes of characterization that much, it's only further testament to the bullshit writing at work in them.

Just finish up Kiddy Grade. And then watch anything besides Kiddy Girl And.

Hey guys, think you could give me some recommendations? I watched all of Evangelion last winter without knowing anything about it and it instantly became my favorite series. I guess it comes down to me loving shows that have tons of mysteries, questions, mind fucks, and an all around general lack of clarity.

That isn't all I like though. I really enjoyed watching Mushi-shi and other quieter shows. Now, I've seen probably around 1/3rd of Monster and then I dropped it for no good reason, so I'm thinking I should probably watch that over again too, considering I thought it was pretty good.

Haibane Renmei
Madoka Magica
Steins;Gate
Satoshi Kon movies like Paprika, Millenium Actress, and Perfect Blue
Kinos Journey
Serial Experiments Lain
Mawaru Penguindrum

lol dude

there literally isn't a single thing in code geass that is better than rahxephon

Kallen and C.C. I win!

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet 1:
It was alright. First half was pretty boring, but it picked up in the second half as they introduced some characters and had some funny moments (and it looked better, too). I enjoyed that they actually had a language barrier existing, which is usually ignored in shows like this.

Hey guys, think you could give me some recommendations? I watched all of Evangelion last winter without knowing anything about it and it instantly became my favorite series. I guess it comes down to me loving shows that have tons of mysteries, questions, mind fucks, and an all around general lack of clarity.

That isn't all I like though. I really enjoyed watching Mushi-shi and other quieter shows. Now, I've seen probably around 1/3rd of Monster and then I dropped it for no good reason, so I'm thinking I should probably watch that over again too, considering I thought it was pretty good.

For shows like you're talking about with mysteries and mindfucks, I would recommend Paranoia Agent, .hack//SIGN, From the New World, Mawaru Penguindrum and Baccano (not as many mindfucks, but the presentation does build up a lot of mysteries that get answered over the course of the show).

How do you decide if something takes itself seriously or not? Does Valvrave take itself any less seriously than Code Geass? I'm not seeing much difference in presentation.

I can't speak for Code Geass, since I only saw the first episode, but as for Valvrave I was convinced it didn't take itself seriously by the random groping in the first episode. Further episodes have only reenforced that opinion. You can't write a line like "Call me Moses" and intend it to be taken seriously.

CorvoSol

lol dude

Everything in Code Geass is better than anything in Rah Xephon, except maybe the proportions of human bodies. The mecha design, the music, the not-being-a-shameless-rip-off-of-Eva, the characters, terrible as they can be, the plot, stupid as it is.

This is all because there is nothing good about Rah Xephon.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Everything in Code Geass is better than anything in Rah Xephon, except maybe the proportions of human bodies. The mecha design, the music, the not-being-a-shameless-rip-off-of-Eva, the characters, terrible as they can be, the plot, stupid as it is.

This.

I was so bored I couldn't even finish it.

JCG

lol dude

There's much more Totally-Not-Evangelion content in RahXephon and that's not necessarily a good thing. Can't remember all the details though.

I recall liking the show in spite of that, despite having mixed feelings about the earlier episodes, because of what happens much later and the ending.

Dead

well not really...yet
Rahxephon: Brazilian Churrascaria

Code Geass: Jack in the Box

Only one of those leads to diarrhea, and its not the first.

Jarmel

Banned

The only good mecha design is in R1. Rahxephnon's mecha design shits all over the too busy laserspamming God wings mechas in R2.

CorvoSol

This.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP.

The Count of Monte Cristo 13

The Count basically makes a public fool of Villefort, scares the otherwise scary Cavalcanti into submission, and also is totally nice to Madam Villefort. Meanwhile, Franz and Lucien discover that the internet is a scary, scary place in the future.

So are they going for the angle that
instead of meeting the Abbe Faria in the dungeons of Chateau D'Iff, Edmond meets instead the demonic extraterrestrial Gankutsuou?

JCG

I appreciate that it focuses on the European side of the conflict and is much more interesting than the Chinese Federation subplot in R2. While yes we have to rely on typical Sunrise time in terms of release the direction they're going is leaning far more on the serious end of things so far.

Agreed on all fronts, and I think Kazuki Akane (of Escaflowne fame) was a very good choice for doing a more serious take on Code Geass.

CorvoSol

Rahxephon: Brazilian Churrascaria

Code Geass: Jack in the Box

Only one of those leads to diarrhea, and its not the first.

Having eaten at enough Brazilian Churrascarias when I lived in Brazil, I'm gonna have to call your example into question. Just because the espetinho looks good, doesn't mean it is.

The only good mecha design is in R1. Raxephnon's mecha design shits all over the too busy laserspamming God wings mechas in R2.

In the 14 episodes of the show I watched, there was the Rah Xephon and a bunch of weird ass colored eggs with baby faces and boobs attached. Code Geass may not have the world's best mecha design, but even Gundam AGE's designs top Rah Xephon's.

fertygo

This.

You two made for each other.

RahXephon have its own unique mood.

EVA is NEVER have that kind of mood, suffocating supernatural mood.

If EVA playing horror element, its straight out Monster movie its never like RahXephon's Sillent Hill-esque atmosphere.

I rewatch EVA multiple time, I can't see too much similarities between them aside Dolem implication latter.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
You two made for each other.

RahXephon have its own unique mood.

EVA is NEVER have that kind of mood, suffocating supernatural mood.

If EVA playing horror element, its straight out Monster movie its never like RahXephon's Sillent Hill-esque atmosphere.

I rewatch EVA multiple time, I can't see too much similarities between them aside Dolem implication latter.

Corvo is one of my favorite posters <3

JCG

The only good mecha design is in R1. Raxephnon's mecha design shits all over the too busy laserspamming God wings mechas in R2.

I liked most of the S1 designs (save that spinning orange ball, lol). The worst Code Geass designs are all from R2, especially for the Knights of the Rounds, but I still liked the final Lancelot and Guren models (and not exactly for the laserspamming or the wings, but something else).

The RahXephon itself has a great design and the artistry of the show is superior, but the enemies usually looked...a little too busy for their own good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom