• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to ask everyone who suddenly switched to Hummingbird: are you using the English of Canonical title setting?

Switched is a strong word, MAL for the most part loads faster and works better and has MALgraph. Other than the titles policy I have a really hard time thinking of what Hummingbird does better. That said I've been using Canonical because defaults, titles even on MAL never bothered me that much.

Utena 18

This arc so far has been feeling rather rigid. While so far its always been a pretty structured show the focus on expanding previous relationships, while a good thing in theory, kind of drains some of the freshness out of it. If Touga ends up being one of the victims of the black rose duelists than that might be interesting because it most likely means bringing back Saionji somehow. Also kind of weird how Chummy Utena has been getting with Himemiya's brother.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Utena 18

This arc so far has been feeling rather rigid. While so far its always been a pretty structured show the focus on expanding previous relationships, while a good thing in theory, kind of drains some of the freshness out of it. If Touga ends up being one of the victims of the black rose duelists than that might be interesting because it most likely means bringing back Saionji somehow. Also kind of weird how Chummy Utena has been getting with Himemiya's brother.
It's a fairly transitional arc. Starts the change in the show's tone, goes more deeply into characters to set up things, and then has a really nice payoff.

Branduil

He's throwing the rose pedals first? Ikuhara's gotta come pimp-slap this fool.

Does it offend your honor?

i6SqVtYkHICjJ.gif

Yu-Gi-Oh S0 1

This is hideously ugly, so ugly I'll save your eyes by refraining from posting any screenshots. The color design is hideously garish in that early digital way, especially all the black shading which does not work at all. There's also some nonsensical layouts. That said, there were a few nice direction touches which surprised me, such as the pan out through the keyhole when Yuugi is working on the puzzle in his room. I also liked the transition to and from the eyecatches.

The content itself is somewhat appealing though. I never got into CCGs, so this initial version of the series with its variety of games is considerably more attractive to me than what it later became. Also, bullying stories like this strike a cord with me. The Yami Game at the end reminded me of Hell Girl, a guilty pleasure of mine. I'll probably be able to get some enjoyment out of this. At the least, at only 27 episodes this won't be another Law of Ueki situation.

They're just enforcing the laws of the land!!

It's early but this feels like a show that's more all ages than skewed to what I assume is mostly a younger girl demographic. The kind of thing the parents could watch with the kids without being bored, I guess.

The Jewelpet franchise as a whole is aimed primarily at 6-8 year old girls, but a lot of what Kira Deco does will fly straight over their heads. (They even reference some 70s Japanese pop song.) I'm not sure if the creators were aiming with the absurdity to entertain the parents watching along or if they were just making something they would want to watch themselves. Though I guess that could work out to the same thing.

Branduil

It's like that time when your dad took you to the lake and you got to hold a rifle for the first time.

Pa, you say, do I really gotta shoot that duck?

Shut the fuck up and pull the goddamn trigger, he says.

So you do, and when the duck is dead and you've picked it off the ground, you become manifestly aware of just what you've done: you've killed a living being, a creature that had once existed but now does not, and there's no feeling of triumph, only this awareness that what's done is done. You have, essentially, grown up: you've become cognizant of the ails of being alive, the competitive expenditures of what it takes to live at the expense of others.

Watching Angel Beats is like that.

LOL

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The Jewelpet franchise as a whole is aimed primarily at 6-8 year old girls, but a lot of what Kira Deco does will fly straight over their heads. (They even reference some 70s Japanese pop song.) I'm not sure if the creators were aiming with the absurdity to entertain the parents watching along or if they were just making something they would want to watch themselves. Though I guess that could work out to the same thing.
Sounds like MLP.

Branduil

You should know I'm not a man of convention. If an impassionate embrace will suffice, then stay, as it is my duty as a husband. If you don't like it, then I suggest you leave. Or I suppose that I can leave you here, and you can console yourself by caressing the warmth by body has left behind on the sheets.

-Vetti Lunard Sforza de Roselait

Great villain, or greatest villain?

The Devil is a Part Timer 1:
That was pretty funny. I enjoy the setup, and once they get past the initial stuff, there's some really funny moments in the work place, and some really nice comic timing. There were some really funny overreactions to work place problems, and it was funny seeing Maou really getting into everything. Looking forward to seeing more of this.

CorvoSol

Corvo is one of my favorite posters <3

D'aaaaaaaaaw. Kagari, I didn't know you cared!

I liked most of the S1 designs (save that spinning orange ball, lol). The worst Code Geass designs are all from R2, especially for the Knights of the Rounds, but I still liked the final Lancelot and Guren models (and not exactly for the laserspamming or the wings, but something else).

The RahXephon itself has a great design and the artistry of the show is superior, but the enemies usually looked...a little too busy for their own good.

I'll give you that that was an awful design. I was underwhelmed that it was the last mech boss of S1.

yep, second worst MC ever, and I only watched the first episode, Corvo should watch this.

You know, I tried to watch Linebarrels of Iron because TVTropes recommended it, but the opening 5 minutes didn't suit me. Maybe later, when I'm desperate, and need something to stop me from watching Eureka Seven: Astral Ocean.

Damn that bad? I almost feel like watching it just to see if it really is that horrible. Though I don't have the same amount of willpower as Corvo for such things, nor would my impressions be anywhere as entertaining.

I keep feeling this way about Sword Art Online, except I don't know that I could live up to Firehawk's legacy of hate for that show. But part of me reaaaaaally wants to see what all the fuss is about.

I'm straight up avoiding OreImo, though.

Mature

I keep feeling this way about Sword Art Online, except I don't know that I could live up to Firehawk's legacy of hate for that show. But part of me reaaaaaally wants to see what all the fuss is about.
I support you watching it and posting impressions here.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
The two greatest reviews of shows has to be BGBW's School Day impressions and firehawk12's SAO impressions.

Branduil

The problem with Sword Art Online is that it's mostly just bad, not so bad it's good. It's a competently-produced series with one of the most puerile and amateur screenplay ever written.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Toei basically felt that the audience that started with the original Sailor Moon had grown up and moved on and wanted to refocus on a new set. Ikuhara being Ikuhara, the show still featured a lot of rather adult imagery. It's basically the most Precure of the series and still features a bunch of top-notch episodes, although it's just those made by Ikuhara, Satou, and Igarashi for the most part.

Then they went mea culpa with Stars and went back to what they were doing before.
I'm not sure what to feel about this.

Articalys

I'm going to start counting the number of times I see a non-breaking news story pop up on Crunchyroll, then minutes later see the same thing on ANN. Is the same person writing posts for both sites or something?

Sounds like MLP.

I'm not an MLP expert, having only seen one episode, but I think you could make that comparison, only Jewelpet Kira Deco is more manic and random. Like MLP, it reminds me somehow of the cartoons I used to watch growing up in the 90s.

It does seem up your alley.

A quick 15-second CM for Kimi no Iru Machi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18QDEt3DJgo

We need to go closer.

The character designs do look pretty good, except for that girl at the end who has the worst expression.

I support you watching it and posting impressions here.

Don't drag me into this!

Mature

The two greatest reviews of shows has to be BGBW's School Day impressions and firehawk12's SAO impressions.
I quite enjoyed Mad Pierrot's La storia della Arcana Famiglia ending impressions.

The problem with Sword Art Online is that it's mostly just bad, not so bad it's good. It's a competently-produced series with one of the most puerile and amateur screenplay ever written.
Yeah. I was hatewatching it with a friend, and it was funny at first, but eventually I just started to get really upset and I just had to drop it. It was upsetting to watch.

Don't drag me into this!
...How did that happen?

hidamari sketch honey comb 4

Swim meet! A lot of lewd poses and yuno was all photo Kano.

Fun fun. Nori was super cute. <3

Shame she's on the lower tier of most of yalls lists. Love her voice. And she got a pc!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom