• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

I eagerly await SDBurton's impressions for later in the series.

Man, I wish I could go through Mouretsu Pirates for the first time again. Definitly my Anime of the Year for 2012.

Ah ah Sdburton won't be able to handle this .... that's for sure.

------------------

Zettai Bouei Leviathan - 06
Zettai%20Bouei%20Leviathan%20-%2006_02.jpg

"We're going to avenge our barbecue !!!" wait what ?

ROFL !!!

Better late than never but i'm glad Someone ( even if it might be an ennemy ) actually pushes the girls to improve themselves and be a bit badass.
I mean they clearly have the moves already , they just lack concentration and stamina!
And leviathan need to stop using her cheat code for once... This will be a great journey

A typical adventure is all that they really need.

OceanBlue

So now that I'm partially free of the tyranny that is finals, I'm wondering what people think of the Yoko Kanno plagarism debate thing. Funnily enough, I was reading up on it last night after doing some thinking in regards to Turn-A .

I went through this thread and it's been interesting to say the least:
http://forums.ffshrine.org/f63/uematsu-vs-yoko-kanno[poll]-47636/3.html

I had heard of Kanno being a plagiarizer, but I don't think I've ever read a conversation on it where someone had to explain their viewpoint. Thanks for the link. It's really interesting (even though I don't know anything about music, lol).

New streaming site DAISUKI has officially launched.

https://www.daisuki.net/

The first round of a series of votes to determine which shows to add is also posted.

As an initial impression, overall the site looks pretty well-made to me, but we'll have to see how things turn out in the long run.

Voted for
After War Gundam X
Battle Spirits
COMMAND OF BRAVES DAGWON (it looked really cool in the images)

Hopefully my pics get chosen...

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
The only thing worth in her family is the massive incest vibes getting thrown out there. Otherwise Miki, and her family, gets constantly thrown under the bus. Not that I care really.

She seems like a fairly boring character outside of her interactions with her bro.

Articalys

By the way, it seems that some of the shows on DAISUKI are actually dubbed -- of the initial slate, Z Gundam and Lupin are both in English only.

Jarmel

Banned
I had heard of Kanno being a plagiarizer, but I don't think I've ever read a conversation on it where someone had to explain their viewpoint. Thanks for the link. It's really interesting (even though I don't know anything about music, lol).

Yea I'm definitely nowhere near as knowledgeable. I do think tango has a stick up his ass but he does bring up some points that I think is worth discussing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOy3AuB5PtI

Well the above link compares a few if you want to hear the comparisons. I do think a few are similar but she also puts her own spin on it.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Vote for anything that doesn't have any existing English translation, but especially TIGER MASK and all of the Brave shows.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
That's because she' the boring Cure Member of the show. They have an episode dedicated to her on why she sucks compared to Buki and Love.

The show out-and-out confirms that Miki is unworthy compared to the rest of the cast. (spoilz)
She's the only Cure that gets those ugly, tiny little polygonal wings when everyone gets their super form in the endgame. The other three have big feathery angel wings.

Jintor

Not sure what to do after Bodacious Space Pirates... guess I'll roll 5 episodes of Polar Bear and Gintama each and then check something else out.

The show out-and-out confirms that Miki is unworthy compared to the rest of the cast. (spoilz)
She's the only Cure that gets those ugly, tiny little polygonal wings when everyone gets their super form in the endgame. The other three have big feathery angel wings.

major spoils
It's because polygons are perfect, that's why she gets terrible wings. I thought everyone was going to get individualized wings, until I compared everyone else. It made no fucking sense, but I guess that's one way to say why her wings are terrible

It's like they spend time showing her getting thrown under a bus (especially with bonus features, Buki's was pretty useful, as was
Setsuna
, but Miki is constantly thrown under the bus after the first great arc of the series, which isn't hard when
Setsuna is the best character of the Cures

I'm starting to consider a list of characters I'd be willing to throw under the bus in comparison to everyone else in their crew.

EDIT: dat figure

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Mouretsu Pirates - 06

iImf5Ol.png
Gaz1TxL.png

f3SVidW.png
CVheOYk.png

This is what I'm talking about!

Keep playing hard to get Chiaki, Marika will eventually take your booty too! (terrible pun intended)

Major props to Marika for doing a stellar job on her first day, and :lol at the attendants on the cruise ship getting hyped at being pirated.

Edit: People hating on Miki? That shit is punishable by death! Worst Cure from Fresh was Buki. And hooooooly shit at that Setsuna figure. I'm not one to buy figures but I'd be willing to pay up for her. :O

Syrinx

To Loveru 12

I don't really have anything to say other than ask this: why does Haruna want anything to do with Rito at this point? I mean, as far as she's concerned, the dude has trier to molest her like, what, 10 times now? How has she not gotten a restraining order or something on him yet? Why is she still pleasant towards him?

The obstacle course was pretty funny though.

CorvoSol

Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid 8

Continuing down the line of people who are examining/indicting/critiquing Sousuke's character (and the Second Raid really is his trial by fire, in preparation for all that comes next), we have Captain Teletha "Tessa" Testarossa and Lieutenant Belfangan "Ben" Closeau. Sousuke is pouting when he arrives in Tessa's office, and when she tells him that she made the decision to recall him from Kaname's guard and to move on about the whole thing, he asks if it is an order.

Tessa flips a lid, and tears him a new one, pointing out how easy it must be for Sousuke (and perhaps any rampant fangirls) to sit there, hating her for it, and how cruel of him it is to pretend to be a kind and obedient soldier when in fact he is, again, thinking only of himself and using "orders" to run away from his problems. She rips him for not ever considering her own feelings (and its made clear that separating Sousuke from Kaname was not something she wanted), tears him for saying sorry out of convenience but not sincerity, and tells him "I hate you, you disgust me." at which point we recall that she is, after all, only a teenager herself. She also points out that everything could've been easier if he'd just come out and said "I want to be with Kaname." But as Mao pointed out, Sousuke doesn't know what he wants.

Closeau beats the ever living crap out of Kurz after trashing on the late McCallin, (Kurz is, as Mao pointed out back in FMP!, a terrible close-quarters fighter) and lastly thrashes Sousuke in a mech fight, in spite of his Faulke not having a Lambda Driver. The Faulke, for those who care, was going to have one installed, but circumstances prevented it, although the Laevatein is given the code-number ARX-8, the Faulke was technically going to be an ARX-7.5 (ARX-1 through -6 were never useable, and the designer of the ARX series, Bunny Murauta, Tessa's ex, is dead.)

Anyway, Closeau points out to Mao that Sousuke's attitude will get him killed, or see him defect to Amalgam. He mentions that hot-headed badasses like Sousuke aren't exactly ideal soldiers, meaning the one thing Sousuke prides himself on being is in fact not what he is.

So for the record, we've seen Sousuke torn down by Mao, Wraith, Tessa and Closeau. We've also been introduced to two other characters who serve as another look at why the "super teenage soldier who is badass and emotionless" is bad, but saying who these characters are is spoilers for the series. Oh, and of course, this episode introduces us to Mr. Ag/Silver.

All of this examining of Sousuke's character does have a point, aside from demonstrating why Heero Yuy is super messed up, but that doesn't become apparent until
Kaname does it, which finally fixes his problems and saves the day, so to speak.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
major spoils
It's because polygons are perfect, that's why she gets terrible wings. I thought everyone was going to get individualized wings, until I compared everyone else. It made no fucking sense, but I guess that's one way to say why her wings are terrible

It's like they spend time showing her getting thrown under a bus (especially with bonus features, Buki's was pretty useful, as was
Setsuna
, but Miki is constantly thrown under the bus after the first great arc of the series, which isn't hard when
Setsuna is the best character of the Cures

I'm starting to consider a list of characters I'd be willing to throw under the bus in comparison to everyone else in their crew.

ATASHI GA KANPEKI DA

oh man, you just reminded me of how bad the
"Miki and Setsuna try and fail to bond"
episode is.
They couldn't find any common ground at all, and in the end it just ends with a "welp, I guess I just respect you for who you are" from Miki because she couldn't get someone who had theretofore lived her entire life enslaved by a Borg Collective-esque dystopia of soul-crushing totalitarian drudgery to care about fashion of all fucking things
. It was basically the show throwing its hands up and admitting that Miki had zero substance beyond a couple of overplayed personality traits.

ATASHI GA KANPEKI DA

oh man, you just reminded me of how bad the
"Miki and Setsuna try and fail to bond"
episode is.
They couldn't find any common ground at all, and in the end it just ends with a "welp, I guess I just respect you for who you are" from Miki because she couldn't get someone who had theretofore lived her entire life enslaved by a Borg Collective-esque dystopia of soul-crushing totalitarian drudgery to care about fashion of all fucking things
. It was basically the show throwing its hands up and admitting that Miki had zero substance beyond a couple of overplayed personality traits.

Nevermind the fact that she labeled
Setsuna
as being socially awkward, despite the fact that
Setsuna made great strides to break that in comparison to other villains, and actually feels natural in the group after bonding with them
I literally got upset when Miki stated this, and ranted to someone about it.

EDIT: BUT LETS NOT FORGET WHEN MIKI TOLD LOVE
to stop caring about Setsuna when her identity was revealed. What a cruel person

These are all spoilers obviously.

wonzo

Banned
New streaming site DAISUKI has officially launched.

https://www.daisuki.net/

To start things off, the first five episodes each of Gundam Seed HD, Madoka Magica, Sword Art Online, Z Gundam, Lupin the Third Part II, and the Prince of Tennis OVA are now up and free to watch.

The first round of a series of votes to determine which shows to add is also posted.

As an initial impression, overall the site looks pretty well-made to me, but we'll have to see how things turn out in the long run.

I like how it's a complete piss-up working out what is and isn't region blocked. I guess that's better than animesols which isn't even accessible outside of North America…

Narag

I like how it's a complete piss-up working out what is and isn't region blocked. I guess that's better than animesols which isn't even accessible outside of North America…

I didn't even noticed Lupin series 2 was on there until you quoted that post again. I had no idea it was dubbed now that I'm watching a bit of it.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Mouretsu Pirates - 07

Poor Chiaki, decided to drop by the cafe to see Marika only to find out that she went out to space to do a job. You'll see your love in due time (I hope), hang in there!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
UtaPri 7
5Vx8E4ml.jpg

*dokidoki*

irwpC6xl.jpg

This is amazing. I love every episode comes down to an almost-kiss still image to get the juices flowing (heh). Of course she'll never actually kiss anyone, because it's shoujo, and she'll definitely never choose anyone, so this is close as any male character will ever get to her.

Man, the perfectly calculated shoujo. lol

madp

The Light of El Cantare
More like the robots were shoehorned in.

You're saying that the show would be better without Chamber? For shame.

Well, in case you're being serious, the mecha in Gargantia serve several valid purposes. They emphasize the difference in technological advancement between the two societies, represent the cultural and philosophical differences between the two societies (mecha used for peaceful vs. violent purposes), and their presence in Gargantia is one way that the show reflects that
Gargantia is the lost Earth that Ledo's people originated from

Nevermind the fact that she labeled
Setsuna
as being socially awkward, despite the fact that
Setsuna made great strides to break that in comparison to other villains, and actually feels natural in the group after bonding with them
I literally got upset when Miki stated this, and ranted to someone about it.

This is the moment that I started to hate Miki. In fact, in terms of likeability across all seasons, I'd probably only put her ahead of Muse and Heart because she's the only Cure that's actively an asshole sometimes.

But Chamber is best character.

But we all know what the real purpose of Gargantia is.
You're saying that the show would be better without Chamber? For shame.

Well, in case you're being serious, the mecha in Gargantia serve several valid purposes. They emphasize the difference in technological advancement between the two societies, represent the cultural and philosophical differences between the two societies (mecha used for peaceful vs. violent purposes), and their presence in Gargantia is one way that the show reflects that
Gargantia is the lost Earth that Ledo's people originated from
Of course I'm not serious.
I haven't even started watching the show yet!

This is the moment that I started to hate Miki. In fact, in terms of likeability across all seasons, I'd probably only put her ahead of Muse and Heart because she's the only Cure that's actively an asshole sometimes.

And sometimes makes all the difference in the world.

I guess on that note, I'm having a bit of a hard time on picking a Bus fodder Cure from Yes! 5 and GoGo (well maybe not GoGo), probably because none of them are nowhere near as bad as the listed examples (and Shiny Luminous). Think it's the last one I'm considering on since I'm not done with Smile yet.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
And sometimes makes all the difference in the world.

I guess on that note, I'm having a bit of a hard time on picking a Bus fodder Cure from Yes! 5 and GoGo (well maybe not GoGo), probably because none of them are nowhere near as bad as the listed examples (and Shiny Luminous). Think it's the last one I'm considering on since I'm not done with Smile yet.

Mint is the worst Yes, just because she has the presence of a ghost and all of her subplots are shitty. Lemonade is p. hateable too solely because of the blatant favoritism and the fact that there was an entire episode dedicated to pimping her character song, but at least she does things.

But we all know what the real purpose of Gargantia is.

Glasses? Sure, I agree, even if there's only one character who wears them.

Mint is the worst Yes, just because she has the presence of a ghost and all of her subplots are shitty. Lemonade is p. hateable too solely because of the blatant favoritism and the fact that there was an entire episode dedicated to pimping her character song, but at least she does things.

True, but the other reason why I'm having trouble with this is because the character Toei wants to throw under a bus and who we want to throw under the bus feels rather different, because while Mint has meh character arcs, she's like a co-lead in the romance area, and probably the second most important Cure (despite being shit in battle and having meh subplots, which could be said for many characters due to a lack of interesting side characters to further flesh them out). But in GoGo, despite everyone being useful, it is clear that Rin/Rouge is the one to be thrown under a bus considering she's the only character who actually gets defeated by the the Girl with the Boy I like must be his girlfriend trope (because she was), on top of an infiltrator actually being a bad guy
and doesn't heel turn

She's also the least popular Cure out of everyone, which is a shame honestly.

Narag

Adult Swim aired 26 episodes from the series.

I was looking at wikipedia about it and Jigen's VA said they dubbed over 100 eps that were never released in any form. Crazy.

Also this bit from the same wiki article has me longing for donotwant dog's presence:

Pioneer's dub makes modern references, such as referring to a police protocol book, the subject of a thief's challenge, as being worth something on eBay

Red Data Girl 07

This show seems to really enjoy sandwiching the interesting stuff and the boring stuff. The first part was pretty cool mostly cause we got some action. Then they started talking again so that was a wash. Then we're getting character development which is pretty cool. I am looking forward to seeing where this will go even if I'm not exactly fully understanding it all.

Finished volume 3 of the Full Metal Panic! novels in Japanese. It's interesting how things play out compared to the same arc in the anime.

So much time is spent in Sousuke's head, which is basically him battling with the idea of having to shoulder the pressure of protecting his comrades and everything he cares about from the psycho who has already taken everything away from him once before.

I can't remember if the original series did this much or not, but
Amalgam and Tessa's brother are a constant presence in the series. Even the Behemoth arc points directly to him as being the instigator behind the event. He's mentioned by name multiple times and even has scenes with Gauron one on one.

In any case, I'm really enjoying this FMP! binge right now, which means it's time to move on to volume 4!

Jex

The Vision of Escaflowne 24

15:53 in.

DULANDAU IS
ALAN'S LITTLE SISTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is the happiest, most hilarious day of my life. I cannot stop crying. This is the twist of all twists. Oh my God. Oh my God. Who wrote this so I can kiss them? I. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

This is what anime does to people.

Finished volume 3 of the Full Metal Panic! novels in Japanese. It's interesting how things play out compared to the same arc in the anime.

So much time is spent in Sousuke's head, which is basically him battling with the idea of having to shoulder the pressure of protecting his comrades and everything he cares about from the psycho who has already taken everything away from him once before.

Amalgam and Tessa's brother are a constant presence in the series. Even the Behemoth arc points directly to him as being the instigator behind the event. He's mentioned by name multiple times and even has scenes with Gauron one on one.

In any case, I'm really enjoying this FMP! binge right now, which means it's time to move on to volume 4!

The light novels are nice. The manga is almost caught up to the end though.

CorvoSol

Leonard Testarossa doesn't appear until the 8th episode of the Second Raid in the anime, although it is implied that A21 got the Behemoth's Lambda Driver (and the Behemoth itself) from Amalgam, just as Gauron mentions that his terrorist activities in Afghanistan and Russia were not part of his full-time job. Because Gauron is, of course, Mr. Fe of Amalgam.

This is what anime does to people.

If loving Escaflowne's maddening plot twist is wrong, I never want to be right again.

Arakawa Under the Bridge S2 - 13 (END)

iboL0rgEwFJq65.jpg

Ending with loads of sadistic Miyukichi? Thank you, Shaft.

Really great show that made me laugh many a time. I can't help but feel that this season is more forgettable than the first due to the fact that the entire cast outside of a couple of minor characters have already been introduced, and it just feels like S1 never ended instead of something new. I do like how some characters under the bridge have a bit of character to them instead of being just the weirdos that they certainly are, especially Ric and Nino. That whole Nino origin story was kind of brushed to the side half way through the series, which is a shame because I would have loved to see it more fleshed out. My favorite Shaft comedy is still Zetsubou Sensei (from what I remember anyway), but the sort of absurd comedy that Arakawa brings is just as great in its own way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom