• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT-8| What could be beyond OT-8? Possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

The Vision of Escaflowne 24

15:53 in.

DULANDAU IS
ALAN'S LITTLE SISTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is the happiest, most hilarious day of my life. I cannot stop crying. This is the twist of all twists. Oh my God. Oh my God. Who wrote this so I can kiss them? I. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Such an amazing show.

Leonard Testarossa doesn't appear until the 8th episode of the Second Raid in the anime, although it is implied that A21 got the Behemoth's Lambda Driver (and the Behemoth itself) from Amalgam, just as Gauron mentions that his terrorist activities in Afghanistan and Russia were not part of his full-time job. Because Gauron is, of course, Mr. Fe of Amalgam.

Gotcha. The books outright state that
Leonard is behind pretty much all the major events, as they happen. I remember him appearing in Second Raid, but I didn't recall anything other than hints about Amalgam from the original series. It's interesting how early he's set up to be the primary antagonistic force.

About Escaflowne: I love love LOVE that twist.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Mouretsu Pirates - 08

fZ0M299.png
HJLdH0V.png

QxUbJzU.png
NZqjTwS.png

nKUEj8G.gif

Oh god I know we're in space but stop giving me all these ships! A princess and a pirate? Together? So saucy!

Jex

Nadia: Secret of the Blue Water - 21

So, that was pretty much a perfect episode as far as I'm concerned. Crazy action, super tense, beautiful early Gainax animation and lovely music. I was surprised to hear tracks from Eva 3.33 pop up in the big battle too: didn't realize those had initially come from Nadia.

And Sanson?
Sniping a fucking giant missile from afar with a pistol is so ridiculously badass. Almost TOO badass.

One more episode, and then I dive right into hell. Wish me luck.

Good luck!

Mint is the worst Yes, just because she has the presence of a ghost and all of her subplots are shitty. Lemonade is p. hateable too solely because of the blatant favoritism and the fact that there was an entire episode dedicated to pimping her character song, but at least she does things.

Glasses? Sure, I agree, even if there's only one character who wears them.

Where the glasses for your avatar :(

I knew something was missing from perfection

CorvoSol

Gotcha. The books outright state that
Leonard is behind pretty much all the major events, as they happen. I remember him appearing in Second Raid, but I didn't recall anything other than hints about Amalgam from the original series. It's interesting how early he's set up to be the primary antagonistic force.

About Escaflowne: I love love LOVE that twist.

The show half plays down Leonard, since he's only in TSR. I mean, it doesn't downplay his importance, and the show DOES end on that cliffhanger of "Okay this Leonard guy is still out there," but since the show doesn't cover what I'd say is a pretty damn large part of the plot, that's just how it is, I guess.

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam 45

1. That Sarah Zabiarov has escaped from the Argama MULTIPLE times is unfuckingbelievable. Where the fuck is the security on this boat? No wait, why the fuck are the writers so fucking awful on this fucking show that the same goddamn shit happens EVERY FUCKING TIME.

I swear, EVERY PLOTLINE PLAYS OUT THE SAME FUCKING WAY IN THIS SHOW. Jared is in an episode? HE WILL BE BEATEN, HUMILIATED, AND LOSE. SARAH WILL ESCAPE THE ARGAMA. PAPTIMUS WILL CONVINCE REKKUA/SARAH/WHOEVER TO DO WHAT HE WANTS. CHAR WILL MOPE. FA/KATZ WILL STEAL THE METHIS AND FUCK UP THE MISSION.

Fuck this goddamn show. The first half is fucking amazing, and the second half is fucking recycled plotlines so fucking much and I don't even know if I can tolerate another 5 episodes of this anymore. It's the most mind bogglingly frustrating and disappointing thing ever.

2. Rekkua's defense that our teenage pilots won't understand her reasons for betraying everyone is so old.

bluedoptimizedrah_zpsbe9e445d.gif

WHO'S THAT POKEMON

Speaking of terrible shows . . .

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Arakawa Under the Bridge S2 - 13 (END)

Really great show that made me laugh many a time. I can't help but feel that this season is more forgettable than the first due to the fact that the entire cast outside of a couple of minor characters have already been introduced, and it just feels like S1 never ended instead of something new. I do like how some characters under the bridge have a bit of character to them instead of being just the weirdos that they certainly are, especially Ric and Nino. That whole Nino origin story was kind of brushed to the side half way through the series, which is a shame because I would have loved to see it more fleshed out. My favorite Shaft comedy is still Zetsubou Sensei (from what I remember anyway), but the sort of absurd comedy that Arakawa brings is just as great in its own way.

I presume that is, specifically, because of the fact that it's an adaptation.

It makes me really curious to see what they came up for the jdrama version though. The jdrama adaptations of on-going mangas have typically just ended without regards to manga continuity. Because, well, they're trying to sell the show itself (and the idols) and not the manga.

I presume that is, specifically, because of the fact that it's an adaptation.

It makes me really curious to see what they came up for the jdrama version though. The jdrama adaptations of on-going mangas have typically just ended without regards to manga continuity. Because, well, they're trying to sell the show itself (and the idols) and not the manga.

I really hope the Jdrama looks like the next episode previews.

Gargantia on the Third Rock From the Sun 1
L6nE62i.jpg

Hello. Yes, this is boobs.
That was it? Felt really short, but maybe that's because it didn't feel like it started until like half way through when we see Amy running around the walkways. I guess the beginning was about some Playstation FMV spaceships shooting lasers at giant space sea creatures, or something, idk know, I wasn't really paying attention...
And this marks the first show I've started from this Spring season. lol

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Night Raid 1931 - 6

I still find it odd that we're basically six episodes or so in and we've only gotten cursory glimpses at Aoi's and Yukina's pasts; god, Aoi's flashbacks are annoyingly vague. But at least we're moving more into what I assume is the major arc now that Isao's joined the game more directly. I can't wait to see what kinda of world politics chess game he's planning, though all the historical exposition is presented incredibly dryly, fuck.

Also: crossdressing Yukina is best Yukina

BaurigJ.png

HNNNGGGGG

CorvoSol

Hey Corvo you gonna/already watch Macross SDF or not.

I would LOVE to read your reaction post.

I don't know, I have to decide, when I finish Zeta Gundam, if I'm watching anymore Gundam for awhile. Zeta is breaking my heart, so I don't really know. Otherwise it'll have to be after I finish Gun x Sword, I guess, because I'm in the middle of several series, otherwise.

Speaking of:

Betterman 26-- Final

WHAT THE FUCK EVEN HAPPENED. THERE'S A FETUS UNDERWATER AND I DON'T KNOW.

Seriously Betterman's ending is just weird. This whole show is weird. WEIRD. Kudos for doing its own thing, but unless understanding the technobabble changes the plot in any significant way, the ending is just really weird. Show is cray.

Kurita

I watched the first episode, and yes, there is a Japanese guy with a blond wig in a nun's habit and a guy in a kappa suit and a guy with a star head. lol

[IG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/scarletmiaka/arakawa.jpg[/IMG]
No wig, whoops!
God I need to watch this.

fertygo

I don't know, I have to decide, when I finish Zeta Gundam, if I'm watching anymore Gundam for awhile. Zeta is breaking my heart, so I don't really know. Otherwise it'll have to be after I finish Gun x Sword, I guess, because I'm in the middle of several series, otherwise.

You either love SDF or absolutely despise it, either way its would be blast for you and us that reading your CAPS rage lol.

CorvoSol

You either love SDF or absolutely despise it, either way its would be blast for you and us that reading your CAPS rage lol.

CAPS RAGE IS THE BEST RAGE. Screw italics and bold.

The Vision of Escaflowne 25

Hahahaha,
Sir Isaac Newton
is perhaps the greatest, or at the least the most entertaining, villain in the history of Mecha. Or maybe I just can't get over that HE is the villain.

Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate 1

iYHaHCQgXChp6.jpg

I know my best girl.

I don't know what I was expecting with a title like "Love, Elections & Chocolate", but I sure as hell didn't sign up for
attempted murder
! These characters are super interesting and amuse me so far, so I can probably just not be bothered by the whole plot as dumb as it may be/may become. I'm now under suspicion that Ogata Megumi has never voiced a female or straight male as well.

I watched the first episode, and yes, there is a Japanese guy with a blond wig in a nun's habit and a guy in a kappa suit and a guy with a star head. lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v302/scarletmiaka/arakawa.jpg[/IM]
No wig, whoops![/QUOTE]

A bishounen playing Ric? Sounds awful!

CorvoSol

Code Geass 22

16 minutes in.

OH. HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELL NO.

AS IN WHAT IN THE ROYAL FUCK.

OH HELL NO.

OH MY GOD.

WHY.

WHY.

WHY.

WHY.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon R: Promise of the Rose]
Well, that was an Ikuhara movie.

Ikuni is out to kill with this, from silly comedy to the more insightful character moments making for a very solid entry. It reminded me of Digimon: Our War Game in that it contains little fat and delivers a lot of action in a very short amount of time, probably helped by the fact that it doesn't need to introduce the characters once again. And yet it even allows itself to flesh the Sailor Soldiers out a little more, which was something I wasn't expecting considering my experience with Toei movies are along the lines of Dragon Ball. It's a film that moves at a very brisk pace, launching from one set piece to another without ever feeling rushed.
The real star of the film is probably the animation, however. No wonder R looked like crap at times; Toei blew their budget on this! While not on the level of Adolescence Apocalypse, the movie is a visual experience. It's a very colourful film, with gorgeous backgrounds prolific in flower imagery and overall very high quality art. The few moments where stock footage from the show gets inserted are actually jarring since you can tell those pieces were not meant to be shown on a bigger screen.

The audio also received a much needed oomph in this. Promise's score is a fluid one, remixing some of the noteworthy tracks from the series while also managing to accompany the visuals on cue. The Utena movie would excel at this later during the climax, and if I had to make a comparison the music in here is exactly that scene (you know the one) stretched to sixty minutes. Amazing.

Promise is essentially a Sailor Moon episode stretched to triple the normal running time while given a notable Ikuhara flavour. I can safely say this is the best piece of Sailor Moon I have watched up to this point, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to anyone unfamiliar with the franchise. I'm very excited to see whether S delivers on all the same fronts as this movie (albeit obviously with a much smaller) budget. I am so ready for Ikuhara-Moon.

jman2050

Code Geass 22

16 minutes in.

OH. HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELL NO.

AS IN WHAT IN THE ROYAL FUCK.

OH HELL NO.

OH MY GOD.

WHY.

WHY.

WHY.

WHY.

Code Geass 22 is what happens when you write yourself into a corner and respond by saying "to hell with this" and bulldoze through the corner like the Juggernaut.

To this day I'm still amazed Sunrise had the balls to deliberately play their audience with no pretense the way they did.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Like I'm 100% certain I've not watched a single Yuyushiki related video on YouTube and yet the Full OP appeared in my recommended videos. Google knows what shows I'm watching!!!

JCG

WHY DOES ANIME KILL EVERYTHING I LOVE?

AND WHY DON'T I SEE IT COMING?

Code Geass 22 is what happens when you write yourself into a corner and respond by saying "to hell with this" and bulldoze through the corner like the Juggernaut.

To this day I'm still amazed Sunrise had the balls to deliberately play their audience with no pretense the way they did.

What I like about this, at least from my own perspective, is the fact that when you go into the episode already knowing what will happen there are some rather transparent signs indicating what they're going to do and more or less how it's all going to come down.

Doesn't mean you'll necessarily like the sheer absurdity of the twist itself, that's another matter, but when viewed at a purely technical level the episode is actually rather well done. But hey, I'm not exactly going to deny there were better alternatives to this course of action.

CorvoSol

Contrived writing is contrived.

Wait I thought you had already watched this?

No, I've never seen it, and it's like daggers in my spine. And the writing's still better than the finale of Betterman. "OH HEY HALF HIS BRAIN BELONGS TO A WOMAN AND ALSO THAT PRIEST GUY IS THE MAIN BAD GUY AND SUDDENLY SHE IS THE DAUGHTER OF THIS GUY."

Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid 9

Another personal favorite episode (basically I should stop saying this, because I mean, they're ALL great.), this one is about how Kaname copes without Sousuke around. To be honest, not well. I mean, she actually does an amazing job of getting the jump on Wraith AND subduing Yu Lan, but when the day is over, she breaks down in a big way, and why not?

She's run across town, fallen out of a window, nearly been assassinated, jumped three roofs, witnessed a murder and
had her first kiss stolen by the ever slick and slimy Leonard Testarossa.

Leonard is the one to take a crack at Sousuke, this episode, citing the number of people he's killed, and saying that he, Leonard, is better than a murderer like Sousuke. This falls flat, since Leonard's Arm Slave just killed for him, under order A1 (as in, the first order in its memory is to kill), and Kaname points it out. She puts up a defense for Sousuke as a defender of the weak, and not someone murders for sport, as she suggests Leonard just has (which is unfair, too, as Leonard DID offer Yu Lan a chance to avoid death, and even killing her was business, and not sport.)

Leonard calls Kaname out on this "You don't believe what you're saying, do you?" and then suggests that Sousuke and he are not so different in their killing. He'll recant this later, though, as Leonard's dissonant view that his ordering the deaths of others and Sousuke's personally killing them are different will forever prevent him from understanding Kaname's attraction to Sousuke. That said, Leonard's criticism isn't immediately rejectable: Sousuke DOES kill, and given what Closeau said last episode about him being a candidate to defect, and knowing how much further we're going to see Sousuke fall, the line between them is perhaps not so distinct, although there are more terrifying forces seeking Sousuke for their own.

And after Leonard leaves, Kaname breaks down, leading to one of the best lines in the series: "I want you here with me, so you can tell me it's not a problem!" Out of context, it's cheesy, but given how many times Sousuke's said it over the past two seasons, and the day she's just had, she probably could use someone telling her something consoling.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon S] 090
The S obviously stands for Sexy. Or maybe Science?

I like the new OP, even if the remix of Moonlight Densetsu is kinda blegh. Otherwise this was a fairly standard opener, what with PREMONITIONS and reused footage from R.
I predict Usagi will be without an upgrade for exactly one episode!

By the way, do the R1 DVDs just not feature any of the next episode previews? I've got used to Toei spoiling everything.
Out of context screenshot for SDBurton.

CorvoSol

Slayers 7

Lina and Goury roll around in the hay. Then he unsheathes his Sword of Light and uses it to stab away her monster problems while Zelgadis smirks.

I'm humorously implying they had sex while in fact using the events of the episode as double entendres.

This is high brow and also very subtle of me.

fertygo

What I like about this, at least from my own perspective, is the fact that when you go into the episode already knowing what will happen there are some rather transparent signs indicating what they're going to do and more or less how it's all going to come down.

Doesn't mean you'll necessarily like the sheer absurdity of the twist itself, that's another matter, but when viewed at a purely technical level the episode is actually rather well done. But hey, I'm not exactly going to deny there were better alternatives to this course of action.

What better alternative? I don't want Geass at least the S1 being any different. Hail Goro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom