• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

I was lurking at the time, and I do vaguely remember a few people losing it. I wasn't paying attention to it, though, so I missed most of the "fun". ^_^ I wonder if this is peak stupid or there is still more stupid to climb.

You definitely hit the peak, but there's plenty more stupid to experience

I was lurking at the time, and I do vaguely remember a few people losing it. I wasn't paying attention to it, though, so I missed most of the "fun". ^_^ I wonder if this is peak stupid or there is still more stupid to climb.

i tried to make sense of it. Heck i think i got most of waht PP2 tried to do.. but i'm sure i've lost some brain cells

Kikirin

I hope it makes sense in context because I'm planning to catch up over the weekend.

What else could the context be? Kumiko is gingerly holding
her instrument
in her arms, hesitant yet anxious about sealing the deal, of committing the remainder of her springtime of youth to her long-time partner
Eupho-kun
. And Asuka's off to the side, goading her into blowing
into the euphonium

I haven't seen the episode yet, so I'm not sure if this is actually the context.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
So while watching Yamada and was wondering when it was going to break out into a orgy. Everyone is kissing everyone. It's pretty funny show.

First time I hear of this, you don't read too much manga do you jbug?
I only kid lol, I think it only gets crazier as time passes in the manga. You should really read Megane chan to Yankee Kun, which I believe is the better one of the two.

Like NSFW

any NSFW

of NSFW

these NSFW

moments NSFW

would work against SnS.

yearttt

I hope it makes sense in context because I'm planning to catch up over the weekend.

hQ57ReO.jpg

Yup

Ash is going to switch his Goodra for a Noibat

This is only acceptable if that little scamp becomes a badass Noivern.

Because Noivern > Goodra.

Always.

Serena might be getting an Eevee

This is only acceptable if that adorable furball becomes either a Vaporeon, Jolteon, or Umbreon.

Even though its bloody obvious it would just become a Sylveon.

PK Gaming

Sound! Euphonium 3

Man, this episode was a little cringeworthy. But cringeworthy in a good way. I love the idea of various band members shirking practice their practice and coming up with excuses for sucking. They were johning. They were johning so hard, and I loved seeing them get exposed and embarrassed like that.

Quite possibly the best teacher in anime, period. His polite bluntness is incredible, and he just has this aura. I can't quite put it into words, but he definitely manages to send a a chill down my spine from time to time. So yea, another solid episode that was also pretty realistic.

I can feel it, the path to the top is going to be glorious

Defuser

Hibike!! Euphonium ep 3
Man, highschool bands wishes they have a teacher like him. All I got from my days in the band are conductors screaming, banging and shouting and berating.

oh mah gawd, why is Asuka so damn awesome?

I was going to make a scathing post in that OT thread but I don't want to be banned.

Instead I'll ask if anyone else becomes annoyed when people making sweeping generalizations of things they self-admittedly know nothing about?

I see so many comments about how anime was so great back in the 80s and 90s and every single show created in the year 2000 onward is absolute tripe garbage without exception.

The blatant hyperbole is a bit much to be honest.

It's essentially the show version of "YOU NEED TO GRIND IN JRPGS". It's that one indicator that essentially translates to "I don't actually know what I'm talking about and haven't played/watched a game/show in this genre for over a decade".

I was going to make a scathing post in that OT thread but I don't want to be banned.

Instead I'll ask if anyone else becomes annoyed when people making sweeping generalizations of things they self-admittedly know nothing about?

I see so many comments about how anime was so great back in the 80s and 90s and every single show created in the year 2000 onward is absolute tripe garbage without exception.

It's essentially the show version of "YOU NEED TO GRIND IN JRPGS". It's that one indicator that essentially translates to "I don't actually know what I'm talking about and haven't played/watched a game/show in this genre for over a decade".

I don't think a lot of us go into OT anime threads because it's not worth the time trying to explain anything or convince anyone, so yes.

Like you can find that kind of ultra detail in Sound! Euphonium, and it also doesn't consist of 90% stills, and the background work in shows like Seraph is frankly pretty amazing. You pretty much only saw shit of that level in movies.

ibyea

Banned

That's because they didn't see all the tripe that got made get into their country before the 2000s.

sonicmj1

Sound! Euphonium 3

I thought the show was pretty good before, but this episode really hooked me. Even more than before, it effectively characterized the band as a whole, with all its different sections made up of bickering individuals with different ideas of what band is supposed to be about. This brings a new central conflict to the fore. If these girls want their band to be meaningful for them, and want to practice and achieve something good, how can they bring that about when facing the larger group? Lots of smaller elements bring this conflict into focus, from the missing second-year students (and the way the directing gives elements we already saw greater significance when we hear the story) to the club President's inability to rock the boat and reign in dissent to Kousaka's obvious frustration.

And man, I loved how the teacher handled that first ensemble performance. There's such strong attention to detail in this show. You can really hear how disorganized the band is, and the specific performance by the trombone section, where the camera focuses on the metronome, drives that point home. I look forward to seeing how everyone responds.

PK Gaming

It doesn't bug me.

I mean, why care about validation from people who have uninformed opinions about anime?

It's best to just ignore it and move on. It's cliched, but the world still turns.

Cornbread78

Campione! Ep.6-End
ok, I friggen' loved the ending of this one! Actually, the last two episodes were awesome.. That one part where he was "injecting" the divine power, and every line, action and nuance was to make you completely take it to the next level, even the visual proof was a huge enuendo. Then, the ladies lining up at the end to offer their support was priceless,
along with getting the blessing of the Gods from Athena
I'd have to go back and look when recommended this one to me, but thank you! Great pick! This was an awesome ride until the end with a great mix of action, humor, knowledge/intellect, and even an attempt at romance with some "sweet" moments. Brilliant!

Dammit, I just used up all my Type-0 time until Friday night..

I don't think a lot of us go into OT anime threads because it's not worth the time trying to explain anything or convince anyone, so yes.

Like you can find that kind of ultra detail in Sound! Euphonium, and it also doesn't consist of 90% stills, and the background work in shows like Seraph is frankly pretty amazing. You pretty much only saw shit of that level in movies.

I can understand that. I suppose there's only so many times you can attempt to reason with people before it becomes a pointless exercise. I'll add that show to my watch list since I've heard some good things about it.

That's because they didn't see all the tripe that got made get into their country before the 2000s.

Indeed, the cherry picking is rampant.

It doesn't bug me

I mean, why care about validation from people who have uninformed opinions about anime?

It's best to just ignore it and move on. It's cliched, but the world still turns

For the most part it doesn't bother me, but every once in a while it just annoys me to see people being willfully ignorant in any context.

Jintor

I can understand that. I suppose there's only so many times you can attempt to reason with people before it becomes a pointless exercise. I'll add that show to my watch list since I've heard some good things about it.

As with pretty much everything: there's a limited supply of people who know what they're talking about, but the amount of people who have no idea what they're talking about is unimagibly vast.

Also, there's only one of you, so it might be the first time they get exposed to this kind of argument but for you it's gonna be the 300th.

jbug617

Banned
Sentai releases for August (Bold for Dub)

Haikyuu! Collection 2 (DVD and Bluray)
Captain Earth Collection 2 (DVD and Bluray)
Hayate The Combat Butler Season 1 (DVD and Bluray)
Vampire Hunter D (DVD and Bluray)
Kamigami no Asobi (DVD and Bluray)
Space Brothers Collection 4 (DVD and Bluray)
Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! Heart Throb (DVD Only)
Sakura Trick (DVD Only)
The Kawaii Complex Guide to Manors & Hostel Behavior (DVD Only)

The last 3 will probably get Bluray releases later on.

Crocodile

I get frustrated because it feels like we have one of those threads every other week. Like if anybody tired to make those same arguments or had that same sort of mentality for any other medium (Rap Music, American TV shows, etc.) they would rightfully be laughed off the site. Like basic critical thinking skills should tell you that the line of thought is inherently flawed but anime seems to be one of the few subjects where people's brains stop working. At least its not as bad as some of the willful ignorance displayed in a lot of the race/gender threads but that's in part because those subjects actually matter in the grand scheme of things so when people are willfully ignorant of racial/gender issues, lives can actually be negatively affected.

Pachinko

Yamada Kun and the 7 witches finally got made into an anime ! It's not bad so far, follows the comics pretty closely.

I watched another episode of Triage X and I'm kind of baffled by it , I've been reading the comics too and the show seems to cut the odd scene here and there that makes the story harder to follow than it needs to be. I suppose the goal of the show is to depict giant boobs and guns and such so it succeeds there but , the storyline isn't half bad in the comic so it feels like a bit of a disservice to the source material.

I also got caught up on sailor moon crystal, boy this show sure likes to pad things out with redundant scenes.

ibyea

Banned
I get frustrated because it feels like we have one of those threads every other week. Like if anybody tired to make those same arguments or had that same sort of mentality for any other medium (Rap Music, American TV shows, etc.) they would rightfully be laughed off the site. Like basic critical thinking skills should tell you that the line of thought is inherently flawed but anime seems to be one of the few subjects where people's brains stop working. At least its not as bad as some of the willful ignorance displayed in a lot of the race/gender threads but that's in part because those subjects actually matter in the grand scheme of things so when people are willfully ignorant of racial/gender issues, lives can actually be negatively affected.

Basically. It's like having a view of what American television is like from all the crappy reality TV.

Is Seraph good?

In all honesty it really isn't worth you time. The only thing it has going for it is the background art and that's really not enough. It's pretty much your everyday generic cliched Shonen.

I'd advise you to watch Blood Blockade Battlefront and Arslan Senki as both are pretty much one of the best anime this season. So they are really worth your time.

sonicmj1

While it's crazy to say that all good anime died after 1999, the death of the OVA market that came about after the bubble popped killed a certain kind of gritty, to-the-point action anime which more or less never really came back. I don't think it's because the market necessarily shifted, it's just that you can't make that kind of thing on a TV series budget and have it be at a high enough quality to get an audience. Or maybe the market for a single standalone thing is wider than the market for people buying every volume of a TV series, and so the shift to TV as the center of late-night anime inherently narrowed the market.

Cornbread78

just get an account man lol, its not that expensive for all the anime you watch.

Lol, I meant I only get tv time for games three nights a week since I work 2 jobs and I just blew one finishing up Campione! Lol

In regards to the sub., well, lets just say the Mrs. would never include that in the budget, lol.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
i don't think i'l ever understand why someplaces think dvd as a standard is fine in 2015.

maybe 2010, but come on!

ugh...

i know, i also want the standard to switch to digital for blu-rays a bit more. i like having my physical products but it gets wayyyyy too cluttering with all the manga and games i have too.

In all honesty it really isn't worth you time. The only thing it has going for it is the background art and that's really not enough. It's pretty much your everyday generic cliched Shonen.

I'd advise you to watch Blood Blockade Battlefront and Arslan Senki as both are pretty much one of the best anime this season. So they are really worth your time.

aqua, i gotta disagree with you on blood blockade. its struggling quite a bit in my opinion. if you want good anime, its with yahari, dungeon and ninja slayer my dawg

Lol, I meant I only get tv time for games three nights a week since I work 2 jobs and I just blew one finishing up Campione! Lol

In regards to the sub., well, lets just say the Mrs. would never include that in the budget, lol.

how did you lose a job watching anime??? i guess the struggle is real when you dont have the time to watch anime and work.

cajunator

Banned
While it's crazy to say that all good anime died after 1999, the death of the OVA market that came about after the bubble popped killed a certain kind of gritty, to-the-point action anime which more or less never really came back. I don't think it's because the market necessarily shifted, it's just that you can't make that kind of thing on a TV series budget and have it be at a high enough quality to get an audience. Or maybe the market for a single standalone thing is wider than the market for people buying every volume of a TV series, and so the shift to TV as the center of late-night anime inherently narrowed the market.

There was some high quality ovas made in that era like Plastic Little.

aqua, i gotta disagree with you on blood blockade. its struggling quite a bit in my opinion. if you want good anime, its with yahari, dungeon and ninja slayer my dawg

Yams when you have Rie Matsumoto (Director) and Nightow you basically have a brilliant combination.

The other anime you've mentioned are indeed good and I find them really enjoyable but imho not as great as BBB.

PK Gaming

Mikagura 3

CDJtOvyWMAAyYd2.jpg

(i'm pretty sure her not wanting his milk is a metaphor... but for what...?!?)

She definitely had that asskicking coming. All that talk about being a hero... all she had were empty words, a wonky skill, and an insatiable desire to get laid. The ending was really sweet though, and it looks like they're setting up a tournament arc? (Will they have enough time?!) The coming episodes should be interesting.

The "I wanna fight you one day" motivator is cliched, but I actually really hope Eruna succeeds in wooing Seisa by the end. Damn. Girl needs to get laid.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
He means that he used one of his free nights to watch Campione.

ahhhh i see, lol thats rough. as long as you were relaxing. you can always have the app on the go if you have a good/unlimited data plan

Yams when you have Rie Matsumoto (Director) and Nightow you basically have a brilliant combination.

The other anime you've mentioned are indeed good and I find them really enjoyable but imho not as great as BBB.

idk man, the work might have been difficult to translate into an anime, even for greats like themselves.

Everything except the background art is bad.

Just watched the first episode. Totally saw that ending part coming but it was decent. For a second I thought we were getting Black Bullet 2 haha. The backgrounds are definitely lovely however.

I'm following Arslan and though I liked BBB's first ep, it also didnt really grab me either. I was gonna wait until it finished to resume.

Crocodile

There's no issue with celebrating the stronger works of the past or recognizing and discussing the real ways in which the anime market (especially OVAs) has changed over the years. The economic changes certainly did have an impact on the proliferation of more "niche" material. It just gets me when people are like "Remember when anime used to be GOOD! When you'd get stuff like Demon City Shinjuku!". I'm like "we are talking about the same movie where people basically get raped and ripped apart for 90 minutes right? That's the good old days of anime?" Or like "Remember when Slayers was a thing, so much better than the stuff nowadays right?" when lord knows if Slayers was made in 2015 instead of when they were 10 years old, they would be complaining about all the boob jokes and other dumb shit in the show.

It's also OBVIOUS by the statements by many that they haven't actually seen much if any anime in the past ten years. They saw some thread about some creepy Vita game or an article about "herbivore men" and assume anime went to shit without doing any of the actual research (and by research I mean the simple task of just asking people they trust for recommendations).

I also love the part where people compare one of the best, memorable releases from like 1985 to some garbage bin anime from now and are like "see how far anime has fallen" as if comparing the best of the best to random shit X is ever a useful metric.

People are by no means required to be informed about anime or even care about it. I just wish they wouldn't talk as if they were informed when they so often aren't (and this applies to everything, not just anime)

Campione! Ep.6-End
ok, I friggen' loved the ending of this one! Actually, the last two episodes were awesome.. That one part where he was "injecting" the divine power, and every line, action and nuance was to make you completely take it to the next level, even the visual proof was a huge enuendo. Then, the ladies lining up at the end to offer their support was priceless,
along with getting the blessing of the Gods from Athena
I'd have to go back and look when recommended this one to me, but thank you! Great pick! This was an awesome ride until the end with a great mix of action, humor, knowledge/intellect, and even an attempt at romance with some "sweet" moments. Brilliant!

Dammit, I just used up all my Type-0 time until Friday night..

Glad you liked it , honnestly what you saw was just the prologue to get everyone in place , and thing get much more hetic, intresting and big in scale ( i mean the fights and the stakes ) after that. On a relationship level too. There are lot of nice moments afterwards for every cast member.

Once you've got the time , Do try the books, if campione was 24 eps and they adapted the next arc, i'm pretty sure it would have been MUCH more popular.

There's no issue with celebrating the stronger works of the past or recognizing and discussing the real ways in which the anime market (especially OVAs) has changed over the years. The economic changes certainly did have an impact on the proliferation of more "niche" material. It just gets me when people are like "Remember when anime used to be GOOD! When you'd get stuff like Demon City Shinjuku!". I'm like "we are talking about the same movie where people basically get raped and ripped apart for 90 minutes right? That's the good old days of anime?" Or like "Remember when Slayers was a thing, so much better than the stuff nowadays right?" when lord knows if Slayers was made in 2015 instead of when they were 10 years old, they would be complaining about all the boob jokes and other dumb shit in the show.

Yeah, a lot of those ultra detailed 90's OVAs were also high on the sex and violence. Mad Bull 34 is probably the ultimate form of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom