• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The manga is levels ahead on both anime's from what I've seen. The only reason I would actually say the anime's are better is because the fights are actually animated and sparkly. Other than that, stick to the manga cause it is beautifully written.

Original FMA anime > manga > Brotherhood

I've seen high praise for Code:Breaker in the past, but certainly not that high. I'll throw it on the pile.

There hasn't been an action show as good since it came out. Yozakura Quartet is the only one that even came close.

Maybe I SHOULD watch Code: Breaker. I read the manga up till a point and I remember it being like 'Fool this isn't even my final form' the manga. Like every time somebody had a struggle it'd be like "oh well guess I haven't shown you my ACTUAL POWER"

and then the other guy would be like "you too?"

But yeah the anime praise is always crazy. Might as well add it to list.

Original FMA anime > manga > Brotherhood

This seems like the correct order to me (although I haven't read all of manga or seen all of Brotherhood). The original anime was great, and most of the added material was pretty strong. Brotherhood felt more lifeless, and they really botched the early material of the series to an unfortunate degree.

Cornbread78

I don't know why you keep saying Kirito/Asuna are a great love story haha, but I guess I shouldn't bring up SAO in an unrelated context.

Story wise, take out the harem and the other other annoying stuff that is continually regurgitated about it and there was a good story and ending there, they could have just cut out all of ALO and ended it at the scene with the skyline and it would have been perfect. Anyway, they fought for each other and stuck together, that alone is unseen in almost everything I've watched.

commence irrational SAO hate now, I get it..

There are absolutely things the first FMA anime does better than Brotherhood (making it a worthwhile and enjoyable watch) but I still disagree with those who think the 03' series is overall a better work than Brotherhood especially given how the 03' series falls apart near the end. I say this as someone who has never read a page of the FMA manga for what its worth.

This. I loved both. If I had to give strengths...

FMA:
- Better beginning and early episodes
- Homunculi. In every aspect. How they're made, who they were, and what they represented.
- Darker tone. Not saying Brotherhood didn't have it but that little girl and the annoying panda needed to gtfo.

Brotherhood:
-Animation
- Middle/later episodes are done better. The original FMA anime had to go in its own tangent and unfortunately it didn't work out.
- I'd argue the main trio (Ed, Al, Winry) are done better here as well

This seems like the correct order to me (although I haven't read all of manga or seen all of Brotherhood). The original anime was great, and most of the added material was pretty strong. Brotherhood felt more lifeless, and they really botched the early material of the series to an unfortunate degree.

See I would go with the Original but that ending left a sour taste in my mouth. So that's why I prefer Brotherhood than the Original.

Maybe I SHOULD watch Code: Breaker. I read the manga up till a point and I remember it being like 'Fool this isn't even my final form' the manga. Like every time somebody had a struggle it'd be like "oh well guess I haven't shown you my ACTUAL POWER"

and then the other guy would be like "you too?"

But yeah the anime praise is always crazy. Might as well add it to list.

The animation is 10/10 and the action scenes are brilliant. I mean who doesn't like a boy group destroying everything in their path.

Jintor

The thing I will say is good about SAO is that not only do they get together but they stay together
well at least until AFO and that's not their fault or problem
. Harem-wise Kirito never thinks twice about anybody but Asuna and the whole harem aspect is kind of the show's problem, not Kirito, as far as I know.

That said, they (the show I mean) doesn't really earn the relationship in any way shape or form. Asuna basically tsunderes Kirito and Kirito basically does nothing but have her throw herself at him until suddenly they're "oh yeah I guess we're banging now" at some point. I remember the transition from "I don't actually like you at all but we've got to work together" to "oh my god i'll die for you" being absolutely jarring and sudden.

Asuna seems like an okay chick though.

If they're the only battle couple you've ever seen, you should probably watch more stuff.

cajunator

Banned
The thing I will say is good about SAO is that not only do they get together but they stay together
well at least until AFO and that's not their fault or problem
. Harem-wise Kirito never thinks twice about anybody but Asuna and the whole harem aspect is kind of the show's problem, not Kirito, as far as I know.

That said, they (the show I mean) doesn't really earn the relationship in any way shape or form. Asuna basically tsunderes Kirito and Kirito basically does nothing but have her throw herself at him until suddenly they're "oh yeah I guess we're banging now" at some point. I remember the transition from "I don't actually like you at all but we've got to work together" to "oh my god i'll die for you" being absolutely jarring and sudden.

Asuna seems like an okay chick though.

If they're the only battle couple you've ever seen, you should probably watch more stuff.

Yeah thats pretty much where I said fuck it.
it was way too fast and just insultingly stupid.

PK Gaming

The only good thing about SAO was episode 3 (The Red-Nosed Reindeer)

If the entire series had that kind of tone (and it completely gutted the "Kirito is the second coming of jesus" aspect of the narrative) it could have been great. I also didn't see a point to continuing after the first arc, or rather... I felt that the first arc really should have been the last one.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
When will more Hunter X Hunter come out? ;_;

What's Togashi up to these days? He hasn't released any chapters in quite a while, damn these hiatuses and my impatience.

ef: a tale of memories 3
ef_tale_of_memories_review_screenshot-9.jpg

This show transitions between things entirely too fast. I was having a hard time following this episode.

I found the first half of SAO to be nothing but a mediocre ride that could have been a lot better.

The second half went even further downhill but you know what really bothered me about it? Like, aside from the incest and the villain?

Nobody seemed to be enjoying themselves in ALO. It's not a death game anymore. It's a full-fledged MMO. Where are the people spamming their uber ultimate attacks in the towns to scare all the noobs? Where are the people yelling: "SELLIN COAL IN VARROCK!!"? Why is there little to nobody having any kind of fun?!?

It would have created a good juxtaposition between Kirito and the rest of the new world he was in. Have him still be in peril because his girlfriend has been captured but everything else is all super happy.

Instead I just felt this overall unpleasantness, like there was just a lack of energy to it and the whole thing just wasn't fun.

It (sort of) worked in the first half considering the setting, but when the threat of death vanishes and you try to make watching a guy playing an MMO super serious, you're doing it wrong.

Jintor

Oh and in-game racism.

Fucking stupid. No-one cares about game stuff like that. Even Alliance/Horde people know they're on opposing sports teams, no-one really gives a shit if you're a virtual bull or a sexy elf.

Also not nearly enough people cybering or griefing one another. MMO shows do not have nearly enough griefing.

Shengar

Oh and in-game racism.

Fucking stupid. No-one cares about game stuff like that. Even Alliance/Horde people know they're on opposing sports teams, no-one really gives a shit if you're a virtual bull or a sexy elf.

Also not nearly enough people cybering or griefing one another. MMO shows do not have nearly enough griefing.
Maybe Japanese have different MMO culture .....
I highly doubt though it since griefing should exist in any part of the world with MMO game.

Gintama 113

What a weird episode. So some new Shinsengumi member convinces Hijikata that germs are evil and they build a glory hole and Kondo gets stuck in it (which was hilarious) and then the germs become sentinent and take over Edo and Kondo turns into an army of bugs and they all turn to stone and save Hijikata and then he wakes up and it's all a dream and a huge Nausicaa reference and Kondo's dick is still stuck?

Okey dokey then

Seraph of the End 1-3

Honestly, I'm kind of liking this show. It does nothing exceptional, and so far the plot seems entirely predictable (thanks OP and promotional material!). The character designs are cool and the backgrounds are pretty nice too, and I can see potential for some excellent fight scenes later on. Ok, I'm on board. Black Bullet pt. 2 lets gooooooo

Shinoa is pretty awesome, so theres that. There's also that loli vampire queen (?) that looks cool too.

Squishy3

Gintama 113

What a weird episode. So some new Shinsengumi member convinces Hijikata that germs are evil and they build a glory hole and Kondo gets stuck in it (which was hilarious) and then the germs become sentinent and take over Edo and Kondo turns into an army of bugs and they all turn to stone and save Hijikata and then he wakes up and it's all a dream and a huge Nausicaa reference and Kondo's dick is still stuck?

Okey dokey then
Gintama in a nutshell.

Kondo gets sandbagged so hard.

ibyea

Banned
Based on what I have see previously, I know some of you like Touhou games, so I am happy to say that Touhou 15 has been announced.

Ore Monogatari 3

This is failing to click with me the same way the manga did. I don't like its brand of comedy and I find the character dynamics to be fairly dull. I had hoped that being animated would make it more interesting, but I'm not sure I really want to watch any more of this.

Nephtis

Ore Monogatari 3

This is failing to click with me the same way the manga did. I don't like its brand of comedy and I find the character dynamics to be fairly dull. I had hoped that being animated would make it more interesting, but I'm not sure I really want to watch any more of this.

I don't know, man

It's a love story that's avoiding all the unnecessary drama. I was seriously rooting for Takeo even thought I wanted to smack him for completely misunderstanding Rinko. Even Makoto is a great guy, none of the characters are dislikeable at all. That bit at the end with their flashbacks were hilarious too.

Then again, just like Takeo said about rinko, I've liked the anime since the first time I saw it.

TUSR

Banned
"make me wonder why the didnt brother to go to community. are we scared them off?"

assuming people look under the community forums

Quasar

Oh and in-game racism.

Don't play on roleplaying servers do you :)

Rainy

Banned
it's really annoying with those threads everywhere lmao. im sure if they just searched they would find a rec thread that caters to them. there's been so many..

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't know, man

It's a love story that's avoiding all the unnecessary drama. I was seriously rooting for Takeo even thought I wanted to smack him for completely misunderstanding Rinko. Even Makoto is a great guy, none of the characters are dislikeable at all. That bit at the end with their flashbacks were hilarious too.

Then again, just like Takeo said about rinko, I've liked the anime since the first time I saw it.

I'm curious to see what happens next. In a way, it's genderswapped Kimi ni Todoke, which could be interesting.

20 episodes until they hold hands???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom