• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blusby

I really hope this works out, this would be amazing to see. Masada himself is confirmed for the script too.

RJg9QnQ.jpg

Mailbox

Not actually gonna lie here, that was actually mostly enjoyable.

My biggest problems with the first episode have either been rectified or are mitigated a lot with this episode.

- Instead of it feeling like a f-you to viewers this had a much more satire feel. maybe its just the fact that a week has passed, but this episode has been much more approachable.

- the integration of proper animation and stills was done wayyyy better than last episode. Heck this episode was mostly animation with stills used to further the satire or used in ways that didn't feel too cheep. I do kinda wish they didn't only use a single still for Ninja Slayer though... like a jump still or something. idk.

- I thought the satire "yeaaarrrrts" and "domo, ninja slayer desu~" were better done in animated form than in still form (idk why i though they were better) in the first episode, so I'm extra glad that they actually used animation more here.

overall, I can actually say i like this episode. After the initial outrage that happened with the first episode, this one isn't half bad.

jgminto

Not actually gonna lie here, that was actually mostly enjoyable.

My biggest problems with the first episode have either been rectified or are mitigated a lot with this episode.

- Instead of it feeling like a f-you to viewers this had a much more satire feel. maybe its just the fact that a week has passed, but this episode has been much more approachable.

- the integration of proper animation and stills was done wayyyy better than last episode. Heck this episode was mostly animation with stills used to further the satire or used in ways that didn't feel too cheep. I do kinda wish they didn't only use a single still for Ninja Slayer though... like a jump still or something. idk.

- I thought the satire "yeaaarrrrts" and "domo, ninja slayer desu~" were better done in animated form than in still form (idk why i though they were better) in the first episode, so I'm extra glad that they actually used animation more here.

overall, I can actually say i like this episode. After the initial outrage that happened with the first episode, this one isn't half bad.

Go back and watch the first episode because it is satire the entire way through. I shouldn't have to mention how brilliant the scene is when he realises he is talking to his own reflection in the window and after seeing himself in ninja attire staring back, shatters it in rage. The premise of that scene would fit perfectly in the most brooding anime of the 90's yet with Ninja Slayer's unique twist it instantly becomes a perfect comedy scene. The way it uses established genre tropes to deliver a completely different impact for the viewer is impressive. Ninja Slayer isn't just some gag troll anime, even if some people might think so.

Westlo

Alright animegaf, show me your worth. list top 10 90's anime. keep out cardcaptor sakura, inuyasha, yuyu hakusho and marmalade boy plus his and mine circumstances. other than that commence!
please ;_;

domo, BakedYams desu

Rurouni Kenshin Memories OVA
Escaflowne
Evangelion
Cowboy Bebop
Macross Plus OVA
Berserk
Rurouni Kenshin TV (mainly for Kyoto)
Crest of the Stars
El Hazard: The Magnificent World
Infinite Ryvius

Still need to watch/finish Utena, Kare Kano (which you don't want listed anyway), Nadia, Nadesico, Slam Dunk, TAG, G Gundam....

Was waiting for the reason Inaba is much better than Lori..

scust.png

Cornbread78

Shinsekai Yori 1 - 25

Did anyone else feel they pushed the message of the queerats and their repression way too hard at the end? It pretty much in our faces constantly leading up to the final confrontation with Squealer and the following scenes left no room for any moral ambiguousness. I feel it would have benefited from more subtleness.

I also didn't understand the meaning of this message in the last scene. I can't seem to tie it with anything.

Overall it was an alright series. Nothing too spectacular and I didn't care much for the main characters but the world was interesting enough to carry the show.

The unfortunate part of the ending and the outstanding question that remains is wether or not that led to any more changes in human society. Since nobody knows that the
Queerats are actually part human
other than Satoru and he cannot talk about it to anyone with being killed/diciplined himself. The only outcome you can see is that the human society now has to better prepare in case that type of situation comes up again.

I don't remember that message being there, but maybe that was more of a reference for the author and his will, because, let's admit how off the rails and imaginative this series was.

Also, beautiful ending with
Saki and Satoru being together and bringing a new child into the world.

cntr

Banned
so, I went back through this thread to see what people thought about the Ninja Slayer first ep

holy shit you guys have bad taste

SNAFU S2 4

This series is just too good. So many goddamn layers of character interaction and progression, this is amazing. I wish we got more slices of life like this.

cajunator

Banned
You can enjoy both..

Wait ,

ENJOY BOTH !

I plan to!

I don't know if I'll be able to move around with all the figures you might have lol. Luckily for me all I have in excess is manga so people can actually have a use for them, as a seat.

Its the little things that matter. Inaba is a very honest and caring character throughout the show. She possibly has the most flaws but has no intentions of hiding them, she accepts who she is as a characters and moves forward each day with that weight on her back. It eventually gets to the point where she can begin to open up to other characters. She's a delight bro

I think you would manage alright in my room. the figures arent on the floor or anything!

Try Daily Lives of High School Boys and Cromartie High School

I second these. Especially Daily Lives.

Guys guys guys....

...it's Megumi Day again! Appreciate our new goddess.

She appears to be a cutie. I havent seen the third episode yet.

javac

Okay, real talk, heart to heart, does anybody get the urge to change their avatar whenever they watch a new show or become infatuated with a certain character? Is there such a thing as a cool-down period? I have a...problem, I can't stop messing around with pictures D:

I guess I'll wait a few weeks or something....

cajunator

Banned
Okay, real talk, heart to heart, does anybody get the urge to change their avatar whenever they watch a new show or become infatuated with a certain character? Is there such a thing as a cool-down period? I have a...problem, I can't stop messing around with pictures D:

If a character is realllllllly cute maybe. But I dont change mine very often.

I don't change mine as often anymore but there's nothing wrong with changing your avatar. Just choose one you're comfortable with!

To be fair, I'm a digital hoarder, I have like at least 10gb of anime pics and such...shit I do have a problem.

...and I thought I had a lot of them. That's an impressive amount you have there!

To be fair, I'm a digital hoarder, I have like at least 10gb of anime pics and such...shit I do have a problem.
Damn. What do you even do with that much stuff? I'm legitimately curious, do you browse through them frequently? Seems like such a heavy amount of content taking up so much space.

javac

I don't change mine as often anymore but there's nothing wrong with changing your avatar. Just choose one you're comfortable with!
Whenever I change an avatar, I always wish I could go back to the previous one, but it'll never be the same...I have to move forward and persevere! Hard work and guts!

...and I thought I had a lot of them. That's an impressive amount you have there!

Damn. What do you even do with that much stuff? I'm legitimately curious, do you browse through them frequently? Seems like such a heavy amount of content taking up so much space.

I didn't think that...would be deemed a huge amount :x I scan a lot of the art-books and magazines that I have and just download whatever pictures look cool to me, from scans of artbooks to magazines, posters, cover art, good fan art etc. I'm just obsessed with art and cool looking images and have been ever since I was a kid. I actually get giddy when I see a cool looking picture. I thought this was the case for everybody :C

I didn't think that...would be deemed a huge amount :x I scan a lot of the art-books and magazines that I have and just download whatever pictures look cool to me, from scans of artbooks to magazines, posters, cover art, good fan art etc. I'm just obsessed with art and cool looking images and have been ever since I was a kid. I actually get giddy when I see a cool looking picture. I thought this was the case for everybody :C
Well to be fair, I do have images mostly from gaming but I use them as backgrounds for my devices. I don't really have a picture collection or anything, even though I do love seeing them. I'm the kind of guy that sees something once and is satisfied with that aha. Same applies to shows and games.

As my interests have shifted over the past year, I've debated changing my avatar many times (more on twitter than forums). The first big time I changed my avatar was due to really falling for Shichimiya in the second Chunibyou novel, but I've gone other directions as well. I've reached a point where the only avatar that "feels right" to me is Koizumi and I'm determined to keep it that way.

SNAFU S2 4

Oh hey. The useless girl realizes that she's been useless the entire time. Also Hikigaya proving once again he's the savior that anime deserves.

If your talking about Yui then she really isn't useless. She's the main reason why the Club still hasn't broken apart. She's like the glue that keeps her, 8man, and Yukino together. Without her the Club would of fallen apart and 8man and Yukino would of left. Yui isn't useless especially when you have an individual who basically destroy's himself in order to accomplish something.

I don't have any lasting attachments to the avatars I have. The only reason I keep avatars for any extended amount of time is due to not finding one nearly as impressive as the whatever one I'm currently using.

If I run across something I like better than my current Yuki one I'll change it in a heartbeat.

javac

Well to be fair, I do have images mostly from gaming but I use them as backgrounds for my devices. I don't really have a picture collection or anything, even though I do love seeing them. I'm the kind of guy that sees something once and is satisfied with that aha. Same applies to shows and games.
I wish this was me, I feel that I suck the fun out of everything, fixated to the point that I'll open 10's of tabs and go through pages and pages just downloading pictures, which leads to other pages...and other pages...

As my interests have shifted over the past year, I've debated changing my avatar many times (more on twitter than forums). The first big time I changed my avatar was due to really falling for Shichimiya in the second Chunibyou novel, but I've gone other directions as well. I've reached a point where the only avatar that "feels right" to me is Koizumi and I'm determined to keep it that way.
I wish that I too one day find my face :(

Work towards progress and show subliminal advertising love of your favourite anime!
Haha, yeah it's kind of like wearing the show you watched recently or adore like a badge of honor. "Look at me, for I hail from the world of Macross! See my avatar medal and let it be known, I like this show!"
I don't have any lasting attachments to the avatars I have. The only reason I keep avatars for any extended amount of time is due to not finding one nearly as impressive as the whatever one I'm currently using.

If I run across something I like better than my current Yuki one I'll change it in a heartbeat.
I fear being forgotten if I change my avatar too much, everyone needs a face to relate to :p At the same time, we all need a clean slate!

cajunator

Banned
I wish this was me, I feel that I suck the fun out of everything, fixated to the point that I'll open 10's of tabs and go through pages and pages just downloading pictures, which leads to other pages...and other pages...

I wish that I too one day find my face :(

Haha, yeah it's kind of like wearing the show you watched recently or adore like a badge of honor. "Look at me, for I hail from the world of Macross! See my avatar medal and let it be known, I like this show!"

I fear being forgotten if I change my avatar too much, everyone needs a face to relate to :p At the same time, we all need a clean slate!

I know this feel.

That's Koizumi in your avatar? I always wondered who that character in your avatar is but I never would have guessed it to be Koizumi. Is the LN art that different compared to the Tv series?

javac

I know this feel.

Right now I have 24 tabs opened up, and I consider that 'good'. Took me a while to get it down to that from my previous session, a lot of tabs had to be sacrificed...RIP

And bookmarks don't work either, because I have hundreds of them! ¬_¬

That's Koizumi in your avatar? I always wondered who that character in your avatar is but I never would have guessed it to be Koizumi. Is the LN art that different compared to the Tv series?

It's not actually LN artwork. It's from a pencil board drawn by Puyo advertising the "The Intrigues of Itsuki Koizumi-kun" spinoff of Haruhi-chan that ran in Altima Ace for 4 issues before Altima got cancelled. I find the image amusing and disarming for people, so I like using it as my Koizumi avatar. Other forums have the first color illustration from Surprise as my avatar due to me being a scientist and that's a good thinking pose. That's LN artwork.

Side note: I went to Anime Expo 2013 when NIS America brought Noizi Ito over and got her autograph on the most fitting object: the Koizumi cover art from the 2009 DVDs (in the Haruhi Hyakka artbook, not on the DVD case itself).

Razmos

SNAFU episode 4: A good episode! my frustrations with the last couple of episodes (Hachiman getting shit on by everyone, Yui being nothing more than a quivering moeblob with no point) were kinda solved here.

It was cool seeing Hachiman getting some closure with the girl he used to have a crush on, and his reasoning about how it wasn't love, but a one-sided fascination was very on point, and similar to my own experiences. Found myself connecting with Hayato for once too, he got some good character development in this episode.

Didn't have much of an opinion of Iroha in the previous episode, but in this one, I like her a lot. I like how cold she was and how badly she unnerved Hachiman, she's fun,

Got a little bit frustrated when the two girls just kept on ripping on Hachiman over and over like he wasn't there. It wasn't cool at all, and I hated that he once again just sat there and took it... but then Hayato spoke up and I literally said "Wait what?" out loud. That absolute silence after he spoke up was just golden. It was a cold, but understated dressing down that they both needed, and it was good to see someone finally sticking up for the H-man.

It was cool that he called him out on his shit, but he went way too far when he started pitying him to his face.

As much as I usually hate Yui, her reasoning for running for class president was a good one, and i'm glad she's finally doing SOMETHING to justify how much attention the show pays to her.

Cornbread78

If your talking about Yui then she really isn't useless. She's the main reason why the Club still hasn't broken apart. She's like the glue that keeps her, 8man, and Yukino together. Without her the Club would of fallen apart and 8man and Yukino would of left. Yui isn't useless especially when you have an individual who basically destroy's himself in order to accomplish something.

ep.4 isn't available yet for the US, but this has been true throughout the series thus far, she solves different problems in her own way..

SNAFU episode 4: A good episode! my frustrations with the last couple of episodes (Hachiman getting shit on by everyone, Yui being nothing more than a quivering moeblob with no point) were kinda solved here.

It was cool seeing Hachiman getting some closure with the girl he used to have a crush on, and his reasoning about how it wasn't love, but a one-sided fascination was very on point, and similar to my own experiences. Found myself connecting with Hayato for once too, he got some good character development in this episode.

Didn't have much of an opinion of Iroha in the previous episode, but in this one, I like her a lot. I like how cold she was and how badly she unnerved Hachiman, she's fun,

Got a little bit frustrated when the two girls just kept on ripping on Hachiman over and over like he wasn't there. It wasn't cool at all, and I hated that he once again just sat there and took it... but then Hayato spoke up and I literally said "Wait what?" out loud. That absolute silence after he spoke up was just golden. It was a cold, but understated dressing down that they both needed, and it was good to see someone finally sticking up for the H-man.

It was cool that he called him out on his shit, but he went way too far when he started pitying him to his face.

As much as I usually hate Yui, her reasoning for running for class president was a good one, and i'm glad she's finally doing SOMETHING to justify how much attention the show pays to her.

Well Yui alongside 8man and Yukino are basically the main characters so they'll definitely get their share of screentime with 8man getting the most. Being justified or not, it really doesn't matter.

Arcadius

Banned
Full Moon o Sagashite

What an incredible anime. What a beautiful story told. It's so perfect. All the characters, all the nuances, all the love and caring for one another. I'm still crying and shaking, it's just so beautiful.

I never imagined the story going the way it did. Mitsuki is a brave and wonderful girl; Takuto and Meroko are amazing too. They way that Mitsuki was able to bring life to others is just so incredible; even affecting
Izumi
. Seeing Mitsuki
break down when she learns about Eichi
was ridiculously sad. I knew that
he had died
, but even then, Mitsuki...... so sad. Every time Mitsuki
gave a cough, or felt pain in her throat
, my throat hurt and my eyes became hazy. The way Takuto and Meroko tried to
change fate
was one of the most heartfelt moments I've ever witnessed, and the Goddess (or whomever) that helped
change fate
, just.... amazing. The last episode, nay, the entire anime, will be one I will never forget; though that last episode just made me bawl my eyes out, it ended so remarkably perfect, so freaking amazing. I love Full Moon o Sagashite.

Edit: So I've had some time to think to myself, take care of my eyes and just breath a little bit. I'd just like to make a small comment on some things I liked. Every time Mitsuki
transformed into Full Moon
the little jingle and the animation that went along with it, made me smile so much. You can see in Mitsuki's eyes how much she looks forward to it and the happy jingle just completes the scene.
Full Moon's
costumes and outfits were all brilliant. I love the variety and cuteness that each encompassed. The music used in Full Moon o Sagashite are so flawless. They capture Mitsuki's feelings so well and I felt like I could relate with the lyrics. I love the way all the little plots were handled too, they showed just how dedicated, kind, friendly, sincere, compassionate, loving, honest and heartfelt Mistuki is; because of that, Mitsuki is a great character, a great person, someone I could really appreciate.

On a whole, 10/10 doesn't do it for Full Moon o Sagashite, I could never give a number based rating for this anime. My heart aches when I think about the story and the ride I was on; Full Moon o Sagashite really is perfect, a truly great anime told in a beautiful way.

Thanks goes out to Cajunator for the recommendation. Asked me twice to take a look at it, so I did!

Defuser

Ninja Slayer ep 2
AIEEEEEE!!!!! INDUSTRY!!!!
You know I rather they use still cutouts for walking or talking or minor stuff and actual animation on the action.

lol man, the moment I heard it's gonna be one 15 min episode I know it's either P&SG or Inferno cop style. But man Trigger sure decieved alot of people with the mag scans and artwork lol.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Real talk: Hachima did not take hits lying down. He has his own convictions and believes that what he is doing is right. I think there are a lot of fundamental things that people don't understand about Hachiman's character and the way he does this. In addition, I noticed one particular person talk up Yui as this super important character but she's really not. I want to address this as well.

First thing is first. Hachiman will always be the person that is in the shithole. He will always do the things that is efficient, result-driven, and tailored to the people that he is helping. This hasn't changed since the beginning of the show and it hasn't now. Self-deprecation has always been a thing and it's only becoming an issue because Yui, Yukino, and Hayato have become more close to Hachiman. They only care because they realize that his methods are self-deprecating. However, what people has to understand is that what these three people have a problem with is that. This is the conflict that is perceived and addressed externally. On the flipside, there is an issue that needs to be addressed by Hachiman internally in that his actions are inversely correlated to his desire to maintain the status quo. He enjoyed the fact that he was able to maintain a semblance of a relationship with Yui and Yukino. Unfortunately, anyone he helps he has to do so in his own way because there is really no other legitimate ways to do things without bloating the problem into something larger. As a result Hachiman is a bit conflicted in the sense that he wants things to go back to the way they are but Yui and Yukino are so upset that they refuse to abide by Hachiman's personality and methods. It's not so much as Hachiman has changed but rather the people around him. Hachiman is merely annoyed because he has to deal with other people's shit.

Secondly, Hachiman is hardly a lose. He did not take shit from people lying down. He was acting like he normally does. He only goes with Hayato to the mall because he's legitimately intimidated by Haruno. Being talked to by the girls isn't out of the norm as he dealt with this for many years. Hachiman's entire character is him doing his own thing and other people giving him shit. The reason why he's not a punching bag is because he is internally monologuing how wrong these people are and how worthless they really are. He firmly understands that people are pieces of shit but he doesn't say it out loud because it would cause trouble. He uses what he understands about people and how they do things in order to really get back at people when solving problems. More importantly, Hachiman always believes he's right (and he is). When Hayato talks to him about his self worth Hachiman doesn't take it laying down. He disregards Hayato completely because what he's saying is ludicrous. In Hachiman's eyes he's done things as he's always done things. What's wrong is how other people are treating him. Not him. Hachiman doesn't feel like he needs saving, even though he does.

Lastly, Yui is a useless character to be perfectly honest when it comes to the club's activities and such. I sort of chuckled when Hiratsuka was giving the explanations about the score for the club members. Yui's only role is for Yukino's characterization to be deepened and help her growth. That's it. She doesn't contribute ideas really to the club's problem solving situations. She doesn't really help Yukino or Hachiman. The show has always been about Yukino vs Hachiman or Yukino and Hachiman. Yui has only existed to flesh out Yukino. She's now starting to come into her own self without following along like a duckling.

PK Gaming

This is a constant problem of mine, but i'm cool with it

I don't really like sticking with one avatar for too long

NeonZ

As a result Hachiman is a bit conflicted in the sense that he wants things to go back to the way they are but Yui and Yukino are so upset that they refuse to abide by Hachiman's personality and methods. It's not so much as Hachiman has changed but rather the people around him. Hachiman is merely annoyed because he has to deal with other people's shit.

I don't think that's really true. He denies that those things affect him, but back in episode 3 he clearly was more annoyed and aggressive than usual for a while, not only with Yui and Yukino, but with everyone - and that was even before the new problem appeared. So, it's not just the others perceiving him as self-deprecating, he clearly was bothered by his own actions too, and just couldn't do anything else because he's used to doing things like that and can't see any other way.

Of course, he tells himself that he isn't bothered, and continues attempting to act in the same way, but his characterization clearly shows that he's just lying to everyone, including himself. Those scenes with Totsuka and his sister said a lot.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I don't think that's really true. He denies that those things affect him, but back in episode 3 he clearly was more annoyed and aggressive than usual for a while, not only with Yui and Yukino, but with everyone - and that was even before the new problem appeared. So, it's not just the others perceiving him as self-deprecating, he clearly was bothered by his own actions too, and just couldn't do anything else because he's used to doing things like that and can't see any other way.

Of course, he tells himself that he isn't bothered, and continues attempting to act in the same way, but his characterization clearly shows that he's just lying to everyone, including himself. Those scenes with Totsuka and his sister said a lot.

His behavior is consistent across the board because people are annoying him. Doesn't have to be everyone to act indifferent to everyone.

I always do, though its typically before the anime comes out, I have so many Seraph of the End Yuu x Mika ones, oh and Sonic x Genos and Kyon x Koizumi but there too lewd.

Clov

Never, actually. I can't ever picture myself changing this avatar on GAF. Besides, it lets me have an anime avatar that most people won't recognize as an anime avatar.

Always. Been wanting to change it to Yui from OreGairu but the imoutos influence from the new Fire Emblem is too strong.

Full Moon o Sagashite

What an incredible anime. What a beautiful story told. It's so perfect. All the characters, all the nuances, all the love and caring for one another. I'm still crying and shaking, it's just so beautiful.

I never imagined the story going the way it did. Mitsuki is a brave and wonderful girl; Takuto and Meroko are amazing too. They way that Mitsuki was able to bring life to others is just so incredible; even affecting
Izumi
. Seeing Mitsuki
break down when she learns about Eichi
was ridiculously sad. I knew that
he had died
, but even then, Mitsuki...... so sad. Every time Mitsuki
gave a cough, or felt pain in her throat
, my throat hurt and my eyes became hazy. The way Takuto and Meroko tried to
change fate
was one of the most heartfelt moments I've ever witnessed, and the Goddess (or whomever) that helped
change fate
, just.... amazing. The last episode, nay, the entire anime, will be one I will never forget; though that last episode just made me bawl my eyes out, it ended so remarkably perfect, so freaking amazing. I love Full Moon o Sagashite.

Damn , i watched full moon wo sagashite tyears ago , and the last part , the ending ... still echoes in my heart.
The last spurt is one my best moments in anime. so powerfull, so well done.. the perfect way to end this anime.

Full moon wo sagashite is amazing it has aged quite well IMO because the story ..damn i'm having trouble expressing myself... is so good .
You'd never guess they would go there judging by the first 4 episodes.
You start this anime thinking " oh yeah a simple magical girl show " and then by the end you understand , and then you think , goddamn that was intense , but i'm glad they did it !

10/10 anime.

phaze

Never watched many comedy or slice of life stuff, but I just finished Shirobako and Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun and really enjoyed them. What do I watch next? Already know about Polar Bear Cafe (not really a fan) and Nichijou.
D-Frag and first season of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (warning for deranged harem) would be my additions to the stuff you already got recommended

Saint Seiya - Soul of Gold 2
ibffishgl8tl4l32akm.gif

Dohko rubbing that salt into 20 year old wounds, Mu's keikaku - glorious. Toei showing Trigger you can still make a 20 minute episodes with zero budget.

Daily reminder to vote in theAnime OST thread.

Jex

PV for the new Lupin III series.

Starts airing in Italy in May; will air on NTV in Japan in the fall.
Well the designs look great but the scenes in that trailer were too short for me to gain any appreciation for what the show might be like.

It was also super weird to see some Attack on Titan-esque CG.
Perhaps it's time to make an updated version of your classic thread about 2000s anime. I know we've got the AOTY threads for recent years, but I still think one thread that combines some of the off-the-wall choices from the 2000s with some of the best 2010s stuff that could get overlooked even in the AOTY voting might prove useful. As a preliminary step towards that, I'm going to dump here a list in no particular order of 2010s stuff I feel is or may be (if I haven't seen it) worth adding to such a thread. I invite comment if anyone here cares to give any.

Yes, I've been feeling that as well it's just that I, personally, haven't had time.

I agree with much of your proposed list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom