• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ninja Slayer is horrible. How much forgiveness can we give a studio for one 22 minute short?

It's not horrible, it's just the complete opposite of what many wanted. They wanted a Kill La Kill with better animation and budget, they got Inferno Cop.

Any good Sci-Fi right now?

Not right now. But if you haven't go watch Yamato 2199. Amazing sci-fi anime and one if the top 10, if not winner, of AnimeGAF's Anime of the Year voting.

I describe it as not only a great sci-fi anime, but great sci-fi period. It's Star Trek meets Battlestar Galactica.

cajunator

Banned
We need to put that disclaimer on these recommendations for series that either don't have an ending unless you read the manga or you are finished unless you buy the disks.. aarrggh, kinda sucksthere's no ending now..

Was that the confession
kiss
part? Or the part when she
calls out Lori in the restaurant and says she could do it better

Yep that first part. I nearly died. Miyukichi was sublime.

ibyea

Banned
Psycho Pass 2: 8
So the stupidity net widens even more.
Not only is it taking the idea Kamui being everyone at once seriously and is shown to literally have owned all the houses for all the people he is imitating (WTF?!) which again, not physically possible, it is taking the idea that just organs can fool the scanners, contain the memories and personalities of people, and runs away with it. Except that is not how it works! Do these people not watch the first season at all?! The least they could have done was read or take some freaking notes on how Psycho Pass's universe worked! The psycho passes are contained in the brains as demonstrated in season 1 and brains are the way Sybil system operates. And this isn't some fantasy style science fiction like Star Wars. There should be at least some resemblance to reality, and even things things like the psycho pass at least they give a feeling they could be plausible even if in actuality it isn't and that the world is built due to the consequence of that. Organs containing memories? What is this, fantasy or science fiction?

Once again Shimotsuki annoys the hell out of me. Instead of warning Tsunemori that hey, there is this creepy stalker that wants to turn your psycho pass black, I know, write a report that blames it all on her because she was never bothered to be told about it and was specifically told to have Togane in the division by Sybil, and Shimotsuki can't be bothered to warn her because everything must be her fault. Even the agents dying when all of it could have been prevented if a) she wasn't so goddamn rigid in her dealing with the barricade incident and b) she would have passed along Hinakawa's report about the holo. So what about your incompetence, Shimotsuki?! GOD!!!

From Shimotsuki's side of the story, it is revealed that Togane was built to be criminally asymptomatic, except it failed and instead his crime coefficient is the highest ever. Which by itself is fine and not stupid so far. The problem is, that's all he is. He does it because he is built that way. But what about his thought processes? Does he have motivations beyond just for the evil? What does he think about the fact that he was born that way? Does he go along with his evil nature because he feels it's an inevitable destiny so he might as well have fun with it? Is it some sort of compulsion? See, just because someone is the product of some horrific experiment that makes a person evil doesn't mean they have to be left a blank slate and just do it cause criminally asymptomatic. As stupid as Kamui's side of the plot is, at least there is a slight semblance of humanity to Kamui's machinations, even if it's not much. Furthermore, I have to wonder, what is the point of Togane? Seriously. Okay, he wants to blacken Tsunemori's psycho pass, but how is it related to anything else? It is uninteresting and completely pointless.

Finally, after Shimotsuki sends the report and is so stupid she doesn't take the obvious hint from throughout the series that certain things are the way they are because Sybil wills it, she finally gets a rude awakening, which I admit I obtained some satisfaction out of that. So at least that's a plus for the episode.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
SAYONARA
it's good.
Kill la Kill was good too
Inou battle was fun.

Trigger needs no forgiveness, they're great.

Trigger has character. Those designs are something rarely found in anime. The old man in the intro for Ninja Slayer just oozes badass. We need a serious anime with those types of art or at least to some effect with great animations.

Ninja Slayer is the best thing Trigger has made since Inferno Cop

Yeart

Clov

Amazing film. I never did care much for part three, though. Is that hideous PG label a sticker on the case or *gasp* part of actual slip art? With this and a few other UK releases, I might need to look into a region free player.

As for the US, Cinelicious has Belladonna of Sadness slated for around Fall with a 4k restoration that's looking fab:

belladonna_2K_still_010.jpg

belladonna_2K_still_004.jpg

This is looking fantastic! Out of everything that's happened in the North American anime industry, Belladonna of Sadness getting not only picked up, but receiving a 4K restoration is probably what's surprised me the most. It definitely deserves it though; it's a strange film, but very interesting to watch. I can't wait to pick this up on Blu-Ray.

This is becoming a joke. How can there be this thread:

Anime-GAF, help me out. I haven't watched anime in 10 years. What have I missed?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1034239

And then on literally the same day:

Back into anime; what I've watched, what have I missed?
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1034479

????

Both threads are on exactly the same subject.

Perhaps it's time to make an updated version of your classic thread about 2000s anime. I know we've got the AOTY threads for recent years, but I still think one thread that combines some of the off-the-wall choices from the 2000s with some of the best 2010s stuff that could get overlooked even in the AOTY voting might prove useful. As a preliminary step towards that, I'm going to dump here a list in no particular order of 2010s stuff I feel is or may be (if I haven't seen it) worth adding to such a thread. I invite comment if anyone here cares to give any.

And Yet the Town Moves
Arakawa Under the Bridge?
Heartcatch Precure (TV/film)
Hidamari Sketch S3/4
House of Five Leaves
Jewelpet Sunshine/Kira Deco/Happiness
K-ON!! (S2/movie)
Katanagatari?
Lilpri?
Princess Jellyfish
Rainbow?
Sengoku Basara?
Shiki
Sound of the Sky?
Milky Holmes
Tatami Galaxy
Working!!
Book Girl? (film/OVA)
The Legend of Koizumi
Tamayura (OVA/TV series/films)
Yozakura Quartet (Hana no Uta/Hoshi no Umi)
Colorful
Gintama (TV/film)
Time of Eve (film)
Welcome to the Space Show?
Blood-C
Bunny Drop
Chihayafuru
Fate/Zero
GDGD Fairies?
Hidamari Sketch
Kaiji S2
Level E
Nichijou
Wandering Son
Kyousougiga (2012 ONAs/TV)
From Up on Poppy Hill?
Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos
Hotarubi no Mori e
Letter to Momo
Tibetan Dog?
Code:Breaker
Daily Lives of High School Boys
Girls und Panzer
Humanity Has Declined?
Hyouka
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Joshiraku
Kids on the Slope
Mysterious Girlfriend X
Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki
Space Battleship Yamato 2199
Space Brothers
Teekyuu
Tsuritama
Ano Natsu de Matteru
Yurumates 3D
Saint Young Men (OVA/film)
Asura
Blue Exorcist (film)
Wolf Children
Eccentric Family
Flowers of Evil
Rozen Maiden 2013
Anime Mirai selections
Silver Spoon
Love Lab
Yama no Susume
Jinsei Best Ten
Meganebu
Hakkenden?
Ping Pong
Mushishi Zoku-sho
Kaguya
Pupipo!
Wind Rises
Animator Expo shorts
Giovanni's Island
Shounen Hollywood
Haikyuu
Hozuki no Reitetsu
Ronja the Robber's Daughter
Shirobako
Space Dandy
Noragami
Yowamushi Pedal
Youkai Watch
Short Peace?
Samurai Flamenco?
Tamako Love Story
When Marnie Was There
Minori Scramble
Plastic Nee-san
One Piece Episode of Nami

Never watched many comedy or slice of life stuff, but I just finished Shirobako and Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun and really enjoyed them. What do I watch next? Already know about Polar Bear Cafe (not really a fan) and Nichijou.

Never watched many comedy or slice of life stuff, but I just finished Shirobako and Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun and really enjoyed them. What do I watch next? Already know about Polar Bear Cafe (not really a fan) and Nichijou.

Watch Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru (And Yet the Town Moves). It's excellent in both the comedy and slice of life department, featuring an eclectic cast of charming characters you will grow to love by the end. The scenarios are varied and well-written, and the production is pretty strong. Definitely should be a high priority for anyone.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
SNAFU S2 4

Oh hey. The useless girl realizes that she's been useless the entire time. Also Hikigaya proving once again he's the savior that anime deserves.

Try Daily Lives of High School Boys and Cromartie High School

Gintama

Love Lab?

Watch Minami-ke.

Watch Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru (And Yet the Town Moves). It's excellent in both the comedy and slice of life department, featuring an eclectic cast of charming characters you will grow to love by the end. The scenarios are varied and well-written, and the production is pretty strong. Definitely should be a high priority for anyone.

Thanks for the recommendations! Haven't heard of any of these!

Kikirin

[Aria the Origination] - 09

...Alice-chan too OP, nerf pls.
In the middle of Aria the Natural,
I dreamed that Alice was promoted to Single, and was wondering when it happened just to watch the next episode and she was still a Pair...and now she just jumps straight to Prima.

I very rarely tear up from watching anime or other entertainment - didn't even for Lie in April's finale - but this one got me. Alice-chan a best.

Ninja Slayer 2

Maybe it's just helped by being so short, but I was still highly entertained. Unlimited Blade Works wishes it's animation could be this tight.

And I wish I had a gif of Ninja Slayer jumping through the front windshield of that taxi. That was amazing.

ef a tale of memories 4

Wait... So eyepatch girl wants to basically write a story about Clannad's subplot?

And her twin sister is into their brother?

Everyone seems to be writing a story in this show so it's likely that one or two of these subplots is actually just a story written by one of the characters in this show.

And I am probably overthinking all of this. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Allaur

I think the only comedies I've seen are GTO and Cromartie High. I guess Niea_7, NHK and Patlabor count too.

There is always School Rumble which is still best school comedy for me (yeah, even better then Onizuka in terms of humor) - so many creative jokes that I still sad that there was no 3rd season.
If you'll decide to watch it you should know that it has something like 5 series of characters inroduction (which are still good...) then it becomes great.

javac

If you want something like NHK that's more comedic, you might try Watamote.

I see these two being mentioned together a lot, and I guess it makes sense due to the subject matter but from a cursory glance, Watamote doesn't seem to possess the elements of NHK that made it 'appealing' to me, which was the relatability of the protagonist, as sad as that sounds in my case, rather than the comedy, although a lot of laughs were had at moments for sure. Watamote seems to go for a more in your face, shocking approach which has never been something I've looked for. A lot of people seem to like it, so that's good.

There is always School Rumble which is still best school comedy for me (yeah, even better then Onizuka in terms of humor) - so many creative jokes that I still sad that there was no 3rd season.
If you'll decide to watch it you should know that it has something like 5 series of characters inroduction (which are still good...) then it becomes great.

The thing is, is it as emotional as GTO? Because that juxtaposition of the funny moments and those tearjerker moments are what made GTO a top tier show for me. Onizuka himself is so fucking likeable too! Every episode that featured Tomoko...episode 11 T_T

Allaur

The thing is, is it as emotional as GTO? Because that juxtaposition of the funny moments and those tearjerker moments are what made GTO a top tier show for me. Onizuka himself is so fucking likeable too! Every episode that featured Tomoko...episode 11 T_T

Well, I watched Onizuka and didn't cry like at all so I can't associate myself with you here (but, believe me, I'm really sentimental).
About School Rumble I can say that beside comedy there are light romance elements which makes you feel warm and like this characters, but they are not main point of the series. Shool Rumble is a thing which makes you laugh. A lot. I didn't watch anything funnier than this.

If you want a good tearjerker - there is Honey and Clover - it's about university students life, about difficult love relationships, about friendship, about search of youself and your place in life. There are still comedy elements but it's more drama and slice of life. This one made me cry a lot - but this series is so beautiful and touching that I rewatch it almost each year. But still there is one thing which you'll need to accept if you'll decide to watch it - design of main heroine is quiet something... If you'll be ok with it - I believe you'll enjoy it.

Soma

I Can Friday By Day! Short

Holy shit

Kazuya Tsurumaki + Hajime Ueda + Sushio

That's like my dream team right there. Naturally this short was fuckin awesome even if it was a little too short. Love that little FLCL callback at the end too.

I want more from these guys (especially Ueda, dude deserves way more than just illustrating SHAFT EDs)

Conan-san

SAYONARA
it's good.
Kill la Kill was good too
Inou battle was fun.

Trigger needs no forgiveness, they're great.
Let's just put it this way. If they fuck LWA2 up following this shit then there is absolutely no turning back.

This is Trigger's Endless Eight.

SNAFU S2 4

Oh hey. The useless girl realizes that she's been useless the entire time. Also Hikigaya proving once again he's the savior that anime deserves.

Really? I thought this episode highlighted how much of a bitter loser he is.
Getting dragged along on an outing with people he clearly doesn't like, and then letting himself be talked down to multiple times, and his only response is to make bitter comebacks in his own head?
This is the savior of anime?
And then when Hayama calls him out on his own self-defeatist and self-worth issues, Hachiman instead buckles up and asserts to himself that he is in no way wrong?

Ronja the Robber's Daughter 10

Trapped in the snow with a blizzard on the horizon. The fear and hopelessness compounded with the dwarves toying with Ronja's predicament was a nice touch. The scene with the harpy was incredibly good. The slow, intimidating peek into Ronja's eyes was terrifying and the music complimented the scene excellently. The animation when the harpy tried to pull Ronja out of the snow was a bit ugly. Ronja's clothing did not move with her talons and it looked like she was grabbing at the air above Ronja's shoulders.

Thoraxes

Getting dragged along on an outing with people he clearly doesn't like, and then letting himself be talked down to multiple times, and his only response is to make bitter comebacks in his own head?
And then when Hayama calls him out on his own self-defeatist and self-worth issues, Hachiman instead buckles up and asserts to himself that he is in no way wrong?

Sounds more like a free punching bag to me lol

kinger256

Shinsekai Yori 1 - 25

Did anyone else feel they pushed the message of the queerats and their repression way too hard at the end? It pretty much in our faces constantly leading up to the final confrontation with Squealer and the following scenes left no room for any moral ambiguousness. I feel it would have benefited from more subtleness.

I also didn't understand the meaning of this message in the last scene. I can't seem to tie it with anything.

Overall it was an alright series. Nothing too spectacular and I didn't care much for the main characters but the world was interesting enough to carry the show.

Reknoc

It's pretty amazing. More people really need to experience it.

If only more anime protagonists were as entertaining as Nekki Basara.

They do. The first half wasn't too good but it was clear they had the elements to make something amazing and they just couldn't quite fit it all together. Then half way through it turns it up to eleven and it all connects beautifully.

The beauty of improvement!

Theonik

They do. The first half wasn't too good but it was clear they had the elements to make something amazing and they just couldn't quite fit it all together. Then half way through it turns it up to eleven and it all connects beautifully.

The beauty of improvement!
image.php

SNAFU S2 4

Suddenly everyone is trying to out Hachiman Hachiman. All these self-destructive sacrificing acts.

Yeah, I don't get people praising him during episodes specifically designed to show how fucked up he is.

SNAFU S2 4

I'm fully expecting 8man to tank the shots at the end of this arc as well because his 'friends' are utterly useless when it comes to solving problems anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom