• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saprol

Its not fanservice, its more like organic events that accentuate curves in the show

I dunno about that. It gets really obvious later on like when the purple-haired cousin shows up. An entire episode is spent talking while the camera is basically panning up and down the female characters' bodies at different angles.

They can't find anything interesting to do during their discussions other than provide fanservice or put those awful coloured filters on random shots.

Triage X for me.

This one is definitely my guilty pleasure. It has a right amount of edginess, action, and cheesiness that makes it enjoyable. It's definitely not good but it's hard to dislike a show that has a nurse destroying fodders with a machine gun, it's just hilarious.

Nagato Yuki 04

Will Haruhi please fuck off?

Nanoha Vivid 03

Vivio you're supposed to take from your mother and beat the friendship into people. Not get the friendship beaten into you! You have much to learn before you'll ever be on her level! Also, Einhart is the best. I'm gonna love watching her kick ass.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I dunno about that. It gets really obvious later on like when the purple-haired cousin shows up. An entire episode is spent talking while the camera is basically panning up and down the female characters' bodies at different angles.

They can't find anything interesting to do during their discussions other than provide fanservice or put those awful coloured filters on random shots.

I started watching it and haven't made it that far lol and those shots are glorious but that's just me. I started out at MangaGAF so I've been changed, Prison School does things to a person.

phaze

lol

Everybody has a season guilty pleasure... except for last season where I literally had like 2 shows I was watching..

Which you just reminded me I'm like 2 episodes away from finishing Shigurui. Gonna finish that and give my thoughts on it. Nothing too elaborate.

Hope you enjoyed it ! We can change Texhnolyze to something else if you didn't. lol

Soma 04

I'm still watching so I guess the show does something right. But I've to say, it's starting to get repetitive. Every episode, we have Soma cooking delicious meal against the odds and people reacting to it. New additions to the cast look entertaining enough at least.

Having to cook for an admission to dormitory in a school he already got admitted into is weird. I'm surprised he doesn't have to cook something every time he needs take a dump.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Wanted to talk about episode 4 for Yahari.
GOD DAMN IT HAYATO A FUCKING BEAST! SHUT THOSE FUCKS UP REAL GOOD!

dq8cskv42abo.gif

Hope you enjoyed it ! We can change Texhnolyze to something else if you didn't. lol

Soma 04

I'm still watching so I guess the show does something right. But I've to say, it's starting to get repetitive. Every episode, we have Soma cooking delicious meal against the odds and people reacting to it. New additions to the cast look entertaining enough at least.

Having to cook for an admission to dormitory in a school he already got admitted into is weird. I'm surprised he doesn't have to cook something every time he needs take a dump.

Because that'd be ridiculous.

Afterwards the shit though...he'd have all the ingredients he needs.

Puruzi

Banned

Soma 04

Usually you have to pay to live in a dorm even if you got admitted to a school, so cooking to be let in sounds pretty great.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

Soma 04

It gets much better, fight on friend.

why

Soma 04

I've enjoyed it in a... way I wasn't expecting when I read it's a show about samurai. As to texhnolyze I've always been planning to watch it it's just that priorities with other stuff. When I get the time I'll watch it. It's one of those shows that it seems everybody has to watch.

Regardless I'll write up something when I finish Shigurui.

antibolo

Banned
Soma is like Professor Layton but with cooking instead of solving puzzles.

He probably does need to cook whenever he needs to take a dump, but that's done off-screen because it would slow down the show too much.

phaze

I didn't need to have this particular image in my head. -_-
Usually you have to pay to live in a dorm even if you got admitted to a school, so cooking to be let in sounds pretty great.
Well I imagine his dad took care of the money and this was just some additional exam.

It gets much better, fight on friend.
I already broke the rule of 3 eps so I might as well.

I've enjoyed it in a... way I wasn't expecting when I read it's a show about samurai.[/B] As to texhnolyze I've always been planning to watch it it's just that priorities with other stuff. When I get the time I'll watch it. It's one of those shows that it seems everybody has to watch.

Regardless I'll write up something when I finish Shigurui.
It's a unique show after all. :p

Baalzebup

Nanoha Vivid 03

Vivio you're supposed to take from your mother and beat the friendship into people. Not get the friendship beaten into you! You have much to learn before you'll ever be on her level! Also, Einhart is the best. I'm gonna love watching her kick ass.

Kek. Nanoha was exactly the same in the beginning. Fate was way beyond her when they met for the first time.

So how is he paying for the school ? It doesn't strike me as being publicly funded. (Not that I know much about Japanese education system.)

It's one of the those mysteries like why no one will ever wash their hands before cooking in this anime/manga. You just sorta accept it and stop thinking about it.

F/SN UBW 16

I feel conflicted, on the one hand I am glad that Shirou acknowledge his relationship with Rin and how most people view them as an item and he basically agrees, it's refreshing to have a character acknowledge the girl he likes and his relationship with her without it being the finale. On the other hand the conversation is handled in a way that makes Rin sound more like a possession of Shirou's when she for much of the series has acted more like a mentor to him though much of the holy grail war.

Next week should seemingly be good with Lancer vs Archer

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
So how is he paying for the school ? It doesn't strike me as being publicly funded. (Not that I know much about Japanese education system.)

If you've read the manga and are up to date with it, you might have a better reason as to why its like this,

F/SN UBW 16

I feel conflicted, on the one hand I am glad that Shirou acknowledge his relationship with Rin and how most people view them as an item and he basically agrees, it's refreshing to have a character acknowledge the girl he likes and his relationship with her without it being the finale. On the other hand the conversation is handled in a way that makes Rin sound more like a possession of Shirou's when she for much of the series has acted more like a mentor to him though much of the holy grail war.

Next week should seemingly be good with Lancer vs Archer

Holy hell this strayed from the original catastrophe that was done in the 90's.

I only watched the first season, but it's fine. Production-values wise, it looks better than the 90s version of the show anyway. I never finished the anime, but the jdrama opens exactly the same as the anime, so unless you are interested in getting a sense of the actors, you're going to be watching the exact same story again for the first few episodes.

The order to watch them in is 2012 - SP - Taiwan - 2014 just in case you are going down that road.
-----

Incidentally, I just noticed that they got the live action The Girl Who Leapt Through Time movie. I still think it's worth watching if you liked the anime film.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/time-traveller

Thanks, yeah started watching it. Even though I watched the anime years ago, it's awesome seeing it again Live action. The actor that's GTO is pretty damn good too.

Hmm didn't see the Taiwan special on crunchy though.

Oh and I saw Time Traveler on there last week already added it to queue. xD

Akainu

The Kekkai Sensen hate seems odd. Sound like some of you people go nuts when they don't focus of some overarching plot. How do you watch anything?

Mushi-shi - 01

So that was some nice, tranquil storytelling.

I heard that 'Natsume Yuujinchou' is a bit of a 'poor man's Mushi-shi' (or s.th. less negative sounding). The former lacked interesting enough stories and kind of just bored me eventually, so I put it on the backlog by around episode 8; I'll hope this one does better and the first episode definitely leaves a good taste.

Arcadius

Banned
Tamako Love Story

Ahhhhh! So adorable, how love is shown in anime. Really great film with a nice ending. I'm glad it went the way it did, though I feel a bit sad for Midori, she should have
confessed
as well. As another poster brought up, the colors here were toned down a bit from Tamako Market and I think it worked out pretty well too, a nice touch, gives a visual explanation for how difficult it can be to confess and find oneself. Love it, squee worthy stuff.

10/10

Mushi-shi - 01

I heard that 'Natsume Yuujinchou' is a bit of a poor man's 'Mushi-shi' (or s.th. less negative sounding). The former lacked interesting enough stories and kind of just bored me eventually, so I put it on the backlog by around episode 8; I'll hope this one does better and the first episode definitely leaves a good taste.

Love Mushishi, top notch anime, if you like episode 1, you'll like the rest too, all are good with great stories. Ginko is awesome.

javac

"Huh, I didn't knew about this site. Does it work here in Brazil?"

"Of course not". *sigh*

I just checked the link, and Hola works. Its a free extension for your browser that allows you to access sites that you normally can't. I'll be honest, I'm not 100% sure in regards to if it's discussion is allowed on GAF when it comes to streaming and such, due to legalities and all that, its all fine right?

Tuck

Arslan Senki - 4
I guess not too much happened in this one, but it was very enjoyable. The characters all seem good and have solid chemistry, and Arslan showed at least a bit of backbone. I hope Arslan and Elam become BFFs sooner than later.

Probably my favourite show this season.

Rin-ne 3

As a comedy this isn't that funny, and as an action show the action isn't particularly good. The characters are really boring and while the poverty gimmick has been explained well enough this series really is weak. I'll keep watching it because it doesn't piss me off but it'll be a back burner show just due to how indifferent I feel watching it.

The Kekkai Sensen hate seems odd. Sound like some of you people go nuts when they don't focus of some overarching plot. How do you watch anything?

I think the issue is that it really hasn't done anything for a wow factor. We have basically another variation of anime x-men. The goofy nature of the show can work in its favor and against it. And the lead isn't exactly interesting as of right now. In the most recent episode they introduced another 'evil group' they have to fight against, but they have yet to have an actual battle with the villains introduced in the intro.

So we've basically had four episodes of getting to know the side characters, Which is fine, I'm enjoying the show but it's nothing to write home about outside of the environment art.

Mushi-shi - 01

I heard that 'Natsume Yuujinchou' is a bit of a 'poor man's Mushi-shi' (or s.th. less negative sounding). The former lacked interesting enough stories and kind of just bored me eventually, so I put it on the backlog by around episode 8; I'll hope this one does better and the first episode definitely leaves a good taste.

Mushishi does not lack interesting stories, I think only two episodes of the first season fell flat for me. Mushishi is very consistent in its quality but the themes may be a bit overwhelming.

Yamada and the zero witches 3

This is around where I stopped reading the manga, I liked it enough but it went on the back burner only to rot for years. Fun episode that once again has barely anything to do with the title of the series.

sonicmj1

Blood Blockade Battlefront 4

I'm still enjoying this show.

I can see why people aren't enjoying it, and from my limited experience reading the manga, a lot of these flaws are from the original source. A lot of things are happening very quickly that should be very meaningful, but given the time allotted to them, they're really not. New characters have been introduced every episode, but most of them have had very little meaningful screen time. New plots that should be meaningful are thrown in with each episode and thrown aside just as quickly. Femt set a plot into motion that killed a bunch of people and nearly killed many more, then vanished from the story. Some people were smuggling humans, and then they were caught (were they?) and that's that. A dangerous drug was being smuggled that seemed to even threaten the US President or something, and an Eastern European country was trying to get nukes? And here there's a potentially-existential threat to the city in the form of hundreds of powerful vampires. A viewer might ask themselves, are we expected to take any of this seriously if it's going to be whisked to the side next episode?

For me, given the show's repeated descents into elaborate slapstick, I'm not taking any of it too seriously yet, and that's fine. I'm enjoying how unpredictable things are from episode to episode. The cast is spread wide, but their exaggerated personalities play off each other well under Matsumoto's direction. The party scene in this episode in particular is a real highlight, using time-jumps to quickly tell all these little narratives about the members of Libra. People get into supernatural danger and then get out of it with some named super moves. I don't see any deeper meaning to anything yet, and so far I don't really need it.

ibc1dUeVryHyiq.jpg

I like how the super-theatrical lighting that popped up when they interrogated Leo about the red wings was revealed to have been a part of the scene the whole time. All those little idiosyncrasies keep me smiling.

That said, with what seems to be the full cast of characters from the ED properly introduced in the show, and with Femt's name coming back up at the end, it seems like the plot surrounding White that had been teased to this point is going to start coming to the fore. That could provide the larger structure that the show has been lacking so far (much in the way that Kyousogiga changed as it departed from the episodic ONA deeper into its airing run), though I don't expect the show's wide tonal swings to ever really go away.

Yona of the Dawn 18 Dub

Pretty grim scene with the
murdered child
which I very much enjoyed
because I hate kids it was very well done
. I'm glad to see Yona finally beginning to take some action, looks like the next episode will put all her training to the test. It's taken us almost an entire season but we're very close to bad ass warrior princess we were teased with in the first episode. The dub was once again excellent and the green dragon plays off the rest of the team really well.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Thanks, yeah started watching it. Even though I watched the anime years ago, it's awesome seeing it again Live action. The actor that's GTO is pretty damn good too.

Hmm didn't see the Taiwan special on crunchy though.

Oh and I saw Time Traveler on there last week already added it to queue. xD
The TW special is listed as a different show on there for some reason. I want to imagine that maybe some TW network paid for them to produce the special, so it's owned by a different network? But I have no idea.

VRMN

Yamada and the zero witches 3

This is around where I stopped reading the manga, I liked it enough but it went on the back burner only to rot for years. Fun episode that once again has barely anything to do with the title of the series.

Uh...
there are already several witches involved with the plot.

cajunator

Banned
The only extras I've watched were the outtakes for Texhnolyze which are fucking hilarious, and the Parallel Works and Yoko Goes to Gainax that came with the Lagann Blu-ray, which I enjoyed more than the show itself lmao.

Ive watched some bonus episodes and omakes, trailers, things like that. Not usually commentaries though for some reason.

Tamako would've been much better without Choi and the bird.

The bird sucks but leave Choi out of this. she is a cutie!

Shokugeki no Soma is listed to have 8 volumes on Amazon JP. So that is 24 episodes.

Via WTK
https://twitter.com/wtk/status/592344497612165120

Excellent. I was wondering how long this marvelous show would grace us with its presence.

Show by Rock has to be one of my favorites of the season. It's the cutest thing I've watched in a while! Hope it has a good shot at a BD release here.

I will buy it no matter what the price is!!

Kek. Nanoha was exactly the same in the beginning. Fate was way beyond her when they met for the first time.
Yep ... Vivio is gonna befriend a lot of people , just like her mother.

My problem is that the show want to tell a story and then it doesn't tell one.
The production values of this show beg for a story to be told and so far , it's quite in shambles.

cIooiQX.png

Hyn3wvW.jpg

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

THEY PUT IT IN.

THANK YOU 8-BIT.
They put that scene in ?

Time to watch grisaia !

cajunator

Banned
It's definitely not my favourite thing of the season, but I do think it's an enjoyable effort - something I find kind of shocking given how abhorrent I found the source material. I'm sure some folks will complain about some of the small trimming they've been doing, but it's really been working wonders in softening some of the more obnoxious elements of the content.

Its an alright show, aside from Hestia being too overhyped and seeing her absolutely everywhere that Im sick of her character already.

Might start new Kinmoza today

Highly recommended!

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Anybody have a 2000-2005 romcom that they would recommend? I was in the dark about anime until 6 years ago so I'm not too well versed when it comes to shows from that decade.

Princess Jellyfish
This was a really good show. It felt awkward but cute. It did a really good job to invoke emotion. It was only the main girl and the two brothers that developed but, they developed well. Tsukimi though still in her shell, was able to actually do some impressive stuff and like it. Older brother really chilled out from his introduction and the younger brother seemed to become less selfish. The other girls didn't change that much but, it sort of fit with their characters.
The op and the ed were pretty good also. The op fits in a whole bunch of references but is still a cheerful tune. I loved when the ending had a turnaround and the song started off with "love is coming back". It really solidified the happy mood at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom