• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mature

Princess Jellyfish
This was a really good show. It felt awkward but cute. It did a really good job to invoke emotion. It was only the main girl and the two brothers that developed but, they developed well. Tsukimi though still in her shell, was able to actually do some impressive stuff and like it. Older brother really chilled out from his introduction and the younger brother seemed to become less selfish. The other girls didn't change that much but, it sort of fit with their characters.
The op and the ed were pretty good also. The op fits in a whole bunch of references but is still a cheerful tune. I loved when the ending had a turnaround and the song started off with "love is coming back". It really solidified the happy mood at the end.
Oh, right, I forgot Princess Jellyfish had a fade into the ED at times. Another one to add to the list.

VRMN

Yamada Kun and no witches

There is a distinctive lack of witches, pointy hats and to some extent magic in this show.

I was promised this :

But instead i got just an high school life anime.

See my last post. The pointy hats aren't coming; the witches are already around, they just haven't been revealed as such yet.

cajunator

Banned
Eww commercials

Well I do have a set of Hidamari DVDs in basically like-new condition since I upgraded to blurays.

cIooiQX.png

Hyn3wvW.jpg

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

one_of_my_favorite_gifs-64562.gif

THEY PUT IT IN.

THANK YOU 8-BIT.

Ok this looks hilarious.
Is Makina in S2?

Anybody have a 2000-2005 romcom that they would recommend? I was in the dark about anime until 6 years ago so I'm not too well versed when it comes to shows from that decade.

Well its a year earlier I think but Kare Kano is really good.

Yamada Kun and no witches

There is a distinctive lack of witches, pointy hats and to some extent magic in this show.

I was promised this :

But instead i got just an high school life anime.

This looks relevant to my interests too.

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun - 01 & 02

This is pretty entertaining. A feel good show. I like that the female lead Shizuku is very down to earth, and her initial attitude of not really giving a shit about, well, basically anyone.
Her on going thoughts and expressions on the people around her, and especially regarding the eccentrically bizarre male lead Haru is amusing.

The show has been moving very fast regarding the whole "romance", already
with kissu and "confessions"
. Face expressions on the cast is plenty and it reminds me of Nozaki-kun.
As for the comedy parts I found myself chuckling more than I thought I would going in. Mainly at the harsh, honest and out of the blue use of words used by the cast.
Oh and there's a chicken song. Promising start, I hope it continues this way.
UKd0Wpe.jpg
xICu6qn.jpg
Shn0l03.jpg

that's puke btw

Squishy3

So been watching Shirobako as an aside for Gintama, since I'm kind of burned out on it due to watching so many episodes in the course of a month.

Shirobako 11

That censoring. I can't even tell what anime about robots Sun Up makes!

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

This is pretty entertaining. A feel good show. I like that the female lead Shizuku is very down to earth, and her initial attitude of not really giving a shit about, well, basically anyone.
Her on going thoughts and expressions on the people around her, and especially regarding the eccentrically bizarre male lead Haru is amusing.

As for the comedy parts I found myself chuckling more than I thought I would going in. Mainly at the harsh, honest and out of the blue use of words used by the cast.

Read the manga, the anime does a pretty good job.

Cornbread78

Saekano episode 4
Maybe its because I havent seen a harem anime in a while, but this anime has been pretty good so far? Like genuinely good with likeable characters and a decent plot.

I really laughed mfao watching the show. It's unfortunate that we may not get the S2 to actually see the story through though.

cajunator

Banned

Natsume the goddess.

Cornbread78

Yona of the Dawn 18 Dub

Pretty grim scene with the
murdered child
which I very much enjoyed
because I hate kids it was very well done
. I'm glad to see Yona finally beginning to take some action, looks like the next episode will put all her training to the test. It's taken us almost an entire season but we're very close to bad ass warrior princess we were teased with in the first episode. The dub was once again excellent and the green dragon plays off the rest of the team really well.

They do an excellent job with her character development and you will see why soon. It's a shame there is no revelations with Huk to that point in the series. I really hope they can piece together a S2 for the summer/fall because S1 was a surprise treat to watch over the winter.

See my last post. The pointy hats aren't coming; the witches are already around, they just haven't been revealed as such yet.

I know these things, but I remember thinking 15 chapters into the manga (and now 3 episodes into the anime) if not for the title and art of the girls wearing pointy hats on the various volumes/anime OP I'd never even consider the idea of more witches, other powers besides body swapping, or even the idea that
Urara originally had the body swap powers that Yamada stole when they kissed, I would assume like the cast Yamada was born with that power

They do an excellent job with her character development and you will see why soon. It's a shame there is no revelations with Huk to that point in the series. I really hope they can piece together a S2 for the summer/fall because S1 was a surprise treat to watch over the winter.

Yeah I'm really enjoying it, Yona and Arslan both scratch an itch that very few anime do anymore.

cj_iwakura

Unlimited Blade Works 16

Some simply gorgeous eye candy on display here, Ufotable love their backgrounds.

And Rin's reactions.

No joke, but he can take it.

Robotics;Notes 11

Not nearly as gripping as Steins;Gate, but I'm looking forward to where it goes from here. I enjoy the interactions, and I expect there's a lot of character building about to go down in Season 2(which I just got).

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I really laughed mfao watching the show. It's unfortunate that we may not get the S2 to actually see the story through though.

Why won't it get a S2? Japan didn't buy enough Blu-rays? Questionable taste.

Eh, if I really end up enjoying it I might. I'm not that invested in manga in general yet. I usually read it on the commute, so I'm not moving at a fast pace.

You are missing out on so much. Dip your feet a little and read Kangoku no Prison or Prison School, you'll thank me later.

So I've been watching Sword Art Online and thought the concept was pretty neat and fun, but then after about 15 episodes in it seems the show went 180° and turned into something completely different.

I had a hard time watching the final few episodes on how weird and boring it became.
Did they change director halfway or something ?
I don't watch many anime, but I thought it had potential.

Dio

Banned
So I've been watching Sword Art Online and thought the concept was pretty neat and fun, but then after about 15 episodes in it seems the show went 180° and turned into something completely different.

I had a hard time watching the final few episodes on how weird and boring it became.

SAO is a web novel written when the author was in high school, and originally had a Kirito/Asuna sex scene in it, which was removed for when it was published as a light novel series.

The anime is just following the plot of the original material.

SAO is based off a series of internet novels, later published as light novels, which highlight one of the flaws of adapting novels into anime: there's a possibility of a big turn between novels in content.

Kawahara had a great concept for his first novel, but ends the Aincrad arc in the first novel (before writing shorts in the second one) because he never imagined it'd move more than that tale. His problem was coming up with a reason for Kirito to return to virtual reality and to have tension in a game that didn't have death upon dying. He chose to use the "damsel in distress" stereotype, but he lacked the talent to make that work well.

Combined with that, the director of the anime, Ito, amplified that aspect to highlight how good Kirito is, which led to a couple of uncomfortable scenes in episodes 22 and 24. I won't even defend the first, but the latter works well to make the viewer feel that the villian is a complete scumbag. It's a huge shift from the first half, but that's due to a problem with novel adaptations: the inability to convey internal motivations with actions that were explained in the novel.

It could've been a better tale than what it was, but there's a lot of issues going against the Fairy Dance arc. I personally found it still enjoyable outside of that one scene, but that's my own preference.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Bail out now.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
SAO is based off a series of internet novels, later published as light novels, which highlight one of the flaws of adapting novels into anime: there's a possibility of a big turn between novels in content.

Kawahara had a great concept for his first novel, but ends the Aincrad arc in the first novel (before writing shorts in the second one) because he never imagined it'd move more than that tale. His problem was coming up with a reason for Kirito to return to virtual reality and to have tension in a game that didn't have death upon dying. He chose to use the "damsel in distress" stereotype, but he lacked the talent to make that work well.

Combined with that, the director of the anime, Ito, amplified that aspect to highlight how good Kirito is, which led to a couple of uncomfortable scenes in episodes 22 and 24. I won't even defend the first, but the latter works well to make the viewer feel that the villian is a complete scumbag. It's a huge shift from the first half, but that's due to a problem with novel adaptations: the inability to convey internal motivations with actions that were explained in the novel.

It could've been a better tale than what it was, but there's a lot of issues going against the Fairy Dance arc. I personally found it still enjoyable outside of that one scene, but that's my own preference.

Never knew the history of SAO. Its kind of disappointing that it took a weird turn and the sex scene wasn't included
because it would have amplified the lurking feeling of imminent death in the story since this would be the only opportunity they would have to be intimate with someone. Plus mixing in that there would be no mistake and somehow that their odd form of love is natural in a environment such as that. I call it odd since their lives are on the line and they have time to worry about their hormones lol.
Other than that, I found it enjoyable too but S2 just dropped the ball big time, I loved the intro for it, it was da bomb.

Finally found some time to watch Yamada.

Yamada and the Seven Witches 1

Qd2uBEj.jpg

Let the genderbending begin!😎

I have been waiting for this series to be animated and it's finally here. It sure has delivered because man is it enjoyable. Seeing all this body switching is glorious as ever. Spring season has truly been great for me, feel bad for those that aren't enjoying this season.

Assassination Classroom 10 Dub

It's funny the bulk of the episode focusing on Bitch-Sensei was just okay. Bitch-sensei works well for comedic relief but she's not a good focal point for an episode.
The shorter second half where Korosensei takes Karma, Nagisa, and Ritsu to Hawaii was more entertaining and did a far better job of hitting the series themes home. Okay episode into a great episode at the end.

Death Parade 10 Dub

A smile is a great form of communication... except for people who are blind. You can't really talk about a method for everyone to understand each other regardless of language when your only example is something certain people can't do. I get that there are more deaf/hard of hearing people then there are blind people but the point remains. It's unfortunate because as a whole I thought this episode was very good and was the first time I felt the narrative of Arbitration felt appropriate mixed with the standard judgement. The problem is when what's suppose to be this revelation for Decim instantly has a problem that's extremely obvious it takes me right back out of the story.

I do look forward to seeing how this all resolves, though I'm expecting a really good answer as to why Decim hasn't just reincarnated Chiyuki by now. What possibly could keep him from judging her that'll feel like an appropriate answer. This goes double for Ginti with Mayu where he still clearly doesn't like her and he views his job as "just doing it cause it's what we do" so just decide already.

Cornbread78

Why won't it get a S2? Japan didn't buy enough Blu-rays? Questionable taste.

Yeah, that has been the mention on this board that it didn't do as well as it should have so we may not get the S2, which sucks because the whole Episode 0 is useless and no ending. .. aargghh.

Yeah, the final arc of SAO, that involves ALO has a totally different feel to it than the Aincard arc did, which is one reason why people tend to hate on it. The whole Aincrad stor is my favorite or any anime I've watched. Then again, I enjoyed the rest of the ALO arc in S1 as well, so...

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Angel Beats

k36npWw.gif

Noticed there's a second OVA coming out in June. Hoping we get
more backstories like TK and not just another filler episode.

Cornbread78

Never knew the history of SAO. Its kind of disappointing that it took a weird turn and the sex scene wasn't included
because it would have amplified the lurking feeling of imminent death in the story since this would be the only opportunity they would have to be intimate with someone. Plus mixing in that there would be no mistake and somehow that their odd form of love is natural in a environment such as that. I call it odd since their lives are on the line and they have time to worry about their hormones lol.
Other than that, I found it enjoyable too but S2 just dropped the ball big time, I loved the intro for it, it was da bomb.

Wel, they did have a sex scene, they just decided to not include the actual act in the episode, but made the suggestion clear enough that it happened, but yeah, including it as a factual event rather than suggestion would have upped the any for sure..

NeonZ

What could be more exciting than F-Zero FOR SOULS

Thinking about it, didn't this chapter come out before F-Zero X? Running on tunnel walls and spinning your ship to hit the opponent were added there. Maybe it actually inspired them?

Bought my first nendoroid, Suigintou, and I am getting a bit frustrated. I can't get the pegs for her wings to attach to her hair. Do all nendoroids have such tight pegs to attach for accessories?

Yamada and the Seven Witches 2

Based Yamada, knows what he's doing. Anyways it was an enjoyable episode with Ito being introduced. Such a sly but cute liar, granted though she's not a bad person she just wanted attention. I really do like her character.

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion 1

I never actually finished this show when I tried to start it three years ago and then again a year ago. I only ever got ten episodes in. So I figured I would start it up again and give impressions on here so that way I feel somewhat motivated to actually finish it this time.

I've always really liked how this show started out and I really look forward to seeing it all play out.

Squishy3

I never actually finished this show when I tried to start it three years ago and then again a year ago. I only ever got ten episodes in. So I figured I would start it up again and give impressions on here so that way I feel somewhat motivated to actually finish it this time.

I've always really liked how this show started out and I really look forward to seeing it all play out.
I'm going to look forward to reexperiencing this show for the first time again through your posts.

I've never rewatched it because I still remember the twists and turns and it doesn't have the same impact otherwise.

Baby Steps 2 4:
I'm surprised he actually won. I was thinking he would lose in the end to show how he still wasn't quite at Alex's level. Seeing the way that his instincts have improved made the victory feel pretty sweet.
With the Florida camp concluded, I guess it's back to Japan. I'll miss those characters, but I'm sure that somewhere down the line he'll cross paths with them again.

And Marcia is so tsundere for Eiichiro. Guess all the girls really want the note taker.

javac

I should pop my Blu-ray in one day, my brother promised to me that it's good, I guess I'll be the judge of that ^_^ I'd be pissed if I wasted my money, I hate blind buys.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I wish Umi No Misaki would get an anime, godlike manga with great characters.

Yeah, that has been the mention on this board that it didn't do as well as it should have so we may not get the S2, which sucks because the whole Episode 0 is useless and no ending. .. aargghh.

Japan confirmed to let good anime go down the drain. Other countries could only import so much to make a meager difference ;_;

Wel, they did have a sex scene, they just decided to not include the actual act in the episode, but made the suggestion clear enough that it happened, but yeah, including it as a factual event rather than suggestion would have upped the any for sure..

Yeah, it really would have. Its annoying that there aren't any animes that take up subjects a bit more eloquently and maturely than others. When will we get that anime?!

SEXUAL JOKE FIVE

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Oh man, one of my favourites! You're in for a wild ride!

Tetsujin 28-go (2004) - 5

Imagawa does it again, I mean DAMN.

Holy crap at Dr. Franken's backstory. Poor dude had to experiment on dead bodies from the war in order and try and reanimate them.

Then the dude freaking snaps when he finds out one of the bodies is his own son. And when he tries to bring him back to life he only succeeds in turning him into a freakish Frankenstein-like monster, whereupon the dude feels so guilty about trying to play God he has himself and his reanimated son enter a freaking suicide pact.

And did I mention how much Tetsujin looked like a monster when it was blocking Dr. Franken's son? It made possibly the scariest face I've ever seen a giant robot make.

Show by Rock!! - 1

Well this was...new.

It's like a weird mix of K-ON!, Dog Days, and Samurai Flamenco. Not that that's a bad thing.

This show actually has some pretty good CG. I can easily see why this show is super popular around here. It's bright, colourful, the characters have a lot of energy, it's cute, etc.

But man is it bizarre.

Yamada and the Seven Witches 3

This episode provided even more body switching shenanigans and it was highly enjoyable. Such fun characters just interacting and playing around. Ito and Miyamura are such funny characters. Plus I really like Yamada going crazy over a microwave.

Anyways I can't fuckin wait till Odagiri gets all dere, she's best girl after all.

antibolo

Banned
Code Geass is the best Pizza Hut anime ever.

Yamada and the Seven Witches is about body switching?? *adds to CR queue immediately*

cajunator

Banned

Ohhhh man. What a treat. Dead serious. This is why The List was originally created!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom