• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
It sucks my computer died and I lost all my screencaps because I'm pretty sure I screencapped every instance of Pizza Hut
There were a lot. I also screencapped every instance of Pizza Butt

It was hilarious seeing Pizza Hut on the anime. Now I'm hungry, curse you animegaf!

antibolo

Banned
Every once in a while I rewatch the final arc of Code Geass S2. So good. The final episode gives me chills just thinking about it. Possibly my favorite final episode of any TV show ever.

This show has inconsistent quality (half of S2 is shit) but it still stands out to me as one of the best anime of the past decade.

And of course the hilarious product placement.

Cornbread78

Ok, my queue list is huge right now, but there has been waaaay too much SAO talk the past couple days, and well,.. You guys usually know best so here it goes: Outside of SAO, Log Horizon, Dog Days, Yona of the Dawn, and DanMachi, are there any good Anime series from the past that take place in fantasy settings, like the above, (swords, armor, pricesses, wizards, dragons,bows, etc) that have a decent story, maybe a save the princess cliché or a love story, or just a plain adventure? Hopefully, on Crunchyroll, but I also have the Daisuke app on my phone now as well.

Crunchy has a "fantasy" tab, but it's probably a long list of crap, so... please help me.

Ok, my queue list is huge right now, but there has been waaaay too much SAO talk the past couple days, and well,.. You guys usually know best so here it goes: Outside of SAO, Log Horizon, Dog Days, Yona of the Dawn, and DanMachi, are there any good Anime series from the past that take place in fantasy settings, like the above, (swords, armor, pricesses, wizards, dragons,bows, etc) that have a decent story, maybe a save the princess cliché or a love story, or just a plain adventure? Hopefully, on Crunchyroll, but I also have the Daisuke app on my phone now as well.

You need to watch :
-12 kingdoms ( a must see in anime )
-Scrapped princess.

Those are old anime and aren't (probably ) on those streaming services.. but they are quality anime. Even if you don't watch them now, remember those names.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Every once in a while I rewatch the final arc of Code Geass S2. So good. The final episode gives me chills just thinking about it. Possibly my favorite final episode of any TV show ever.

This show has inconsistent quality (half of S2 is shit) but it still stands out to me as one of the best anime of the past decade.

The best moment for me was
the chess game against his older brother I think? It was glorious but a chess move like that is illegal lol

You need to watch :
-Scrapped princess.

Those are old anime and aren't (probably ) on those streaming services.. but they are quality anime. Even if you don't watch them now, remember those names.

I keep on forgetting I need to watch Squid girl, such a funny show.

You might be interested in Problem children are coming from another world
I'm hoping you might have seen enough anime (you got through Saekano fine) to appreciate Outbreak Company

I second outbreak and that anime about that guy running an amusement park, forgot the name, but it was really funny.

Midonin

I'm hoping you might have seen enough anime (you got through Saekano fine) to appreciate Outbreak Company

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion 2
latest

It's always fun to see an MC who can outclass an opponent with their intelligence. Forgot how much of a douche Lelouch can be though. Using people like their pawns on a chessboard. We will see how far that attitude will get him. I enjoy the smugness though and really enjoyed it when
Suzaku showed him up.

Cornbread78

Are either full of fanservice and/or sex scenes? Just need to make sure since my Kindle plays in my cubicle. Nobody usually comes to my side of the building, but just in case. There are no "ratings" on Crunchy..

Oh and yeah Saekano was really funny and I enjoyed it, so harem, check...

Whoa. I didn't expect such a big reaction. Lol.

I'm going to look forward to reexperiencing this show for the first time again through your posts.

I've never rewatched it because I still remember the twists and turns and it doesn't have the same impact otherwise.

Hopefully you will find them enjoyable. I freak out pretty hard at twists. Just ask anyone who observed my freak out with School Days...

Code Geass is the best

Sounds like I chose a real winner here.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Oh man, one of my favourites! You're in for a wild ride!

I thought you would like the fact that I started this since you recommended it over a year ago to me.

Code Geass is the best Pizza Hut anime ever.

Yamada and the Seven Witches is about body switching?? *adds to CR queue immediately*

Pizza sounds so good right now.

Yamada is an interesting show. Haven't seen the latest episode but the first two episodes were pretty funny.

Ohhhh man. What a treat. Dead serious. This is why The List was originally created!

This sounds promising. Now if we can just get a Key anime on the list!

It sucks my computer died and I lost all my screencaps because I'm pretty sure I screencapped every instance of Pizza Hut
There were a lot. I also screencapped every instance of Pizza Butt

o_O

That second comment concerns me. But it's good to know I have a fun ending ahead of me.

Guess I should watch Code Geass.

Everybody gets to join! Be nice to see a few people join in the watching...

Code Geass was one of the first entries on The List? I learn something new everyday about it!

News to me.

Midonin

Are either full of fanservice and/or sex scenes? Just need to make sure since my Kindle plays in my cubicle. Nobody usually comes to my side of the building, but just in case. There are no "ratings" on Crunchy.
Very few anime that air on TV have sex scenes. Innuendos and stuff that sounds like/heavily suggests the act, sure, but instances of characters actually having it are (most of the time) artfully cut away from. I can only think of a few exceptions.

Both of them have a fair amount of fanservice, but nothing terribly scandalous in either one.

cajunator

Banned

Crunchy has a "fantasy" tab, but it's probably a long list of crap, so... please help me.

Scrapped Princess
Twelve Kingdoms
Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles
Ragnarok the animation

I thought you would like the fact that I started this since you recommended it over a year ago to me.

Code Geass was freaking magical when I watched it for the first time.

R2 had a few low points at the start, but everything that followed after those low points more than made up for them.

Watch Arslan Senki which is airing this season. It's kinda a fantasy setting based on adventure, though it's licensed by Funimation.

Watch it because it's truly worth your time.

Cornbread78

Very few anime that air on TV have sex scenes. Innuendos and stuff that sounds like/heavily suggests the act, sure, but instances of characters actually having it are (most of the time) artfully cut away from. I can only think of a few exceptions.

Both of them have a fair amount of fanservice, but nothing terribly scandalous in either one.

Yeah, we were discussing that last week with Baked on why they completely cut it out of anime and don't even touch the actual act. Outside of School Days and Cross Ange, there are very few that I know of. Even in the more intense harem animes out there like Sekirei, there's nothing happening, lol. Just wanted to make sure, lol.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah, we were discussing that last week with Baked on why they completely cut it out of anime and don't even touch the actual act. Outside of School Days and Cross Ange, there are very few that I know of. Even in the more intense harem animes out there like Sekirei, there's nothing happening, lol. Just wanted to make sure, lol.

Saikano heavily implies it

Midonin

Also, the reason why I compared Outbreak to Saekano wasn't because it was a "harem", but because both are heavy on anime meta-commentary.

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion 3

So far, so good. Lelouch is such a dutiful brother. It's nice to see him be soft for someone. It makes him feel human.

I like how he thought his way out of the bathroom. Lelouch you sly dog you. With that power you can do anything.... Anything. Anyways, having a good time with it. Dunno why I always stopped around here...

Ronja the Robbers Daughter 15-16

Incredible. That ghibli magic. The emotion can be read in each of the character's faces.

Mattis's decent into madness seems a little out of left field, I had no idea he felt such disdain for Borka. The way he treated his prisoner would have the UN knocking on his door, especially when his prisoner is a child.

One thing that bugged me is the episode preview for 16 pretty much gave away how the conflict would be resolved. It's like Ronja was jumping head first into magma.

Cornbread78

You need to watch :
-Scrapped princess.

Scrapped Princess
Twelve Kingdoms
Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles
Ragnarok the animation

I'll check the other streaming service, but only Problem Children and Outbreak are on Crunchyroll so far, lol.

Kekkai Sensen 04

I'm getting some major Hellsing vibes from these vampires. Especially with them taking over the battleship and making a giant cross out of the bodies of the crew members.

Also someone on tumblr made a pretty cool discovery:

Watching (and loving) Bojack Horseman's theme I started wondering.. how many anime are there with non-anime OP's? You know what I mean. Something like just somebody going through the morning routine like Dexter.

Kekkai Sensen 04

I'm getting some major Hellsing vibes from these vampires. Especially with them taking over the battleship and making a giant cross out of the bodies of the crew members.

Also someone on tumblr made a pretty cool discovery:

Yeah Vash and Wolfwood are definitely similar to Chain and KK. Plus the Helsing reference makes sense considering both Helsing and Trigun ran in the same magazine.

Sonicbug

I'll check the other streaming service, but only Problem Children and Outbreak are on Crunchyroll so far, lol.

Magic Knight Rayearth is up on Hulu. You don't get more 90s fantasy than that.
Slayers is also up on Hulu.
Saiunkoku is awesome but it's probably not streaming anywhere.

Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion 1

I never actually finished this show when I tried to start it three years ago and then again a year ago. I only ever got ten episodes in. So I figured I would start it up again and give impressions on here so that way I feel somewhat motivated to actually finish it this time.

I've always really liked how this show started out and I really look forward to seeing it all play out.

Hoo boy. Let me know when you get to R2. That's where the show goes off the rails for better and worse.
Mostly worse

Cornbread78

Fruit of Grisaia S2 ep.2
Holy shit, he did Asuka and JB? Damn, this kid is a super star, and lmfao at that guy playing the x-rated Loli dating game while on the boat at the end. Still on the backstory here, but this show is awesome stuff, I can't wait until they transition back to current times.

Yamada and the 7 witches - 03

Pretty good episode on the character develloppement.

That student concil président is some fox in disguise.

Weak episode on comedy this week, hopefully this will be better next time.

---------------
Hello kirino Mosaic - 04

Not much to say about this episode..It's pretty much the exact same thing as last week.

Midonin

Jinki: Extend 05-07

It took a little bit to puzzle out, but now I can see the parallel plotlines happening. Curious when they're going to overlap. Also, Aoba's mom is exactly as sketchy as I thought, and more. She reminds me of Yuuji's caretakers in Grisaia, except without even the pretense of sympathy. Training Kouse to be a fighter and
killing him in front of Aoba
is just too much. There's war is hell, and there's the people who deliberately go out of their way to make it hell.

Fruit of Grisaia S2 ep.2
Damn, this kid is a super star
No. No no no no. No.

He isn't a superstar, he's a husk of a human being.

Arcadius

Banned
I, My, Me - Strawberry Eggs!

Really enjoyed this one. Great story about gender discrimination presented in a thoughtful and fun way. The main character, Hibiki was well done and was interesting to follow him go through random issues that occurred and how he solved them. I can only hope Fuko and Hibiki get together later on, but alas, will never find out.

Would not recommend if panty shots and cleavage of girls are a problem.

10/10.

Cornbread78

No. No no no no. No.

He isn't a superstar, he's a husk of a human being.

oh, no doubt there, I was referring to his exploits in a sarcastic/funny way. However, that act with those two adults completely keeps the theme of him not having anything normal of a life. His wounds are real, I mean, the whole first season was about him just wanting a chance to finally be a normal HS student. However,
taking JB's virginity
that way? Damn.

cajunator

Banned
I, My, Me - Strawberry Eggs!

Really enjoyed this one. Great story about gender discrimination presented in a thoughtful and fun way. The main character, Hibiki was well done and was interesting to follow him go through random issues that occurred and how he solved them. I can only hope Fuko and Hibiki get together later on, but alas, will never find out.

Would not recommend if panty shots and cleavage of girls are a problem.

10/10.

Oh this show. Who told you of this one?
I have it on dvd from a loooooong time ago. Back then it was kind of controversial.

oh, no doubt there, I was referring to his exploits in a sarcastic/funny way, completely keeps the theme of him not having anything normal of a life. His wounds are real, I mean, the whole first season was about him just wanting a chance to finally be a normal HS student. However,
taking JB's virginity
that way? Damn.

I must say that he was a proud executionner of
what his sister told him and showed him .

Arcadius

Banned
Oh this show. Who told you of this one?
I have it on dvd from a loooooong time ago. Back then it was kind of controversial.

Found it myself. I've been looking around for shows to watch while I decide on the next show recommended to me. Controversy, I can see, but I thought it was good. I had massive déjà vu whilst watching it; seems I was fated to watch this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom