• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

rrvv

Hi friends, I heard there were owls in this thread. Confirm/deny pls.

we have plenty

ffc.jpg

Droplet

Hibike! Euphonium makes me smile every time I watch it. I want to start playing flute again every time I watch it.

I feel like Free had a similar effect on me, but it took a lot longer because it took so long for them to start actually swimming. Euphonium really took me right back to why I enjoyed playing an instrument in the first place. I'm starting to get a crush on Kousaka, whose situation was one I faced back when I was in high school, but she just handles it with so much more grace than I ever could have managed.

I think the reason I feel this way when I feel more annoyance when I watch something like You Lie in April is that it just feels so accurate. There's nothing that makes me question if the writer even researched what they were writing about. It feels like the writer really experienced what made their chosen subject special (which I imagine the writers of both Free and Euphonium did), and ultimately that just makes it so much easier to get sucked back into my own memories and emotions. Meanwhile, a show like You Lie in April, for example, tries to push its themes over its setting, making it sort of unbearable to watch - even if I did like the melodrama, I don't think I would have been able to sit through more episodes of "you can just play the music how you like it!", because I know that despite how optomistic and nice that sounds as a theme, that's just not accurate. I think that's also what helped Free be somewhat enjoyable, as even if the characters seemed to jump out of your typical BL manga, they at least felt like actual swimmers.

Hibike! Euphonium makes me smile every time I watch it. I want to start playing flute again every time I watch it.

I feel like Free had a similar effect on me, but it took a lot longer because it took so long for them to start actually swimming. Euphonium really took me right back to why I enjoyed playing an instrument in the first place. I'm starting to get a crush on Kousaka, whose situation was one I faced back when I was in high school, but she just handles it with so much more grace than I ever could have managed.

I think the reason I feel this way when I feel more annoyance when I watch something like You Lie in April is that it just feels so accurate. There's nothing that makes me question if the writer even researched what they were writing about. It feels like the writer really experienced what made their chosen subject special (which I imagine the writers of both Free and Euphonium did), and ultimately that just makes it so much easier to get sucked back into my own memories and emotions. Meanwhile, a show like You Lie in April, for example, tries to push its themes over its setting, making it sort of unbearable to watch - even if I did like the melodrama, I don't think I would have been able to sit through more episodes of "you can just play the music how you like it!", because I know that despite how optomistic and nice that sounds as a theme, that's just not accurate. I think that's also what helped Free be somewhat enjoyable, as even if the characters seemed to jump out of your typical BL manga, they at least felt like actual swimmers.

Takeda did write Euphonium based on personal experiences as well as talks with friends who played in a concert band. She also spoke with some people at her old high school for research. No confirmation on if she played the Euphonium though.

(nice small article featuring a picture of her)

Cornbread78

Angel Beats ep.10:

I can't believe Hinata caught on and stepped up the way he did. So many damn feels from the way they captured her moment, from the script, to the visualization of what would be to the damn awesome music. Amazing ending to this episode.

cajunator

Banned
Angel Beats ep.10:
[imghttp://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/34900000/yui-yui-angel-beats-34987282-500-281.jpg][/img]
I can't believe Hinata caught on and stepped up the way he did. So many damn feels from the way they captured her moment, from the script, to the visualization of what would be to the damn awesome music. Amazing ending to this episode.

In a way this show is like Haibane Renmei but of course the execution is completely different. It shares similar themes.

phaze

I was wondering if you guys could recommend some anime that has come out in the past few years. There's probably a huge back catalog I've missed due to the low amount I've watched thus far.
Since you seem okay with the more fight oriented shows. I would recommend Jojo -episodes 10-24 aka Battle Tendency( because rest of sucks), Gurren Lagann (if you haven't seen it yet), and maybe Saint Seiya: Lost Canvas (if you can bear with the premise and not very exciting main protagonist.)
I got two things as well!

(though the DtB S1 BDs got delayed till the end of this month!)

All in all I only paid $45 for both of these since I preordered so early when their listings went up.

Also no reversible cover on this S.A.V.E. edition.

2015-05-1302.45.29idq25.jpg
But I thought second season of DtB doesn't exist.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 01
I think I remember why I have stayed away from this show till now. Some of those character designs are halfway to the Clannad atrocity land.

A Rei clone, a complete psycho and a moe reincarnation. Dear Kyon, how can you be so smart and eloquent when narrating the events but no see that it is high time to jump from this ship ? Which for some inexplicable reason you've boarded. I have no knowledge of the franchise outside of the fact it's set in high school, has some time/sci-fi hijinks (I think) and that people dance in the ED. (Lamely) So far Kyon is the instantly likeable character but I can't say I'm feeling the rest cast yet. Gonna watch the first episode of the broadcast order now and decide which way to roll. We will see if this beats Amagi as the best KyoAni work. (Dun Dun)

Theonik

I think I remember now why I must have stayed away from this show till now. Some of those character designs are halfway to the Clannad atrocity land.

A Rei clone, a complete psycho and a moe reincarnation. Dear Kyon, how can you be so smart and eloquent when narrating the events but no see that it is high time to jump from this ship ? Which for some inexplicable reason you've boarded. I have no knowledge of the franchise outside of the fact it's set in high school, has some time/sci-fi hijinks (I think) and that people dance in the ED. (Lamely) So far Kyon is the instantly likeable character but I can't say I'm feeling the rest cast yet. Gonna watch the first episode of the broadcast order now and decide which way to roll. We will see if this beats Amagi as the best KyoAni work. (Dun Dun
It's old KyoAni which while better than KeyoAni is still not as good as NeoAni.

phaze

It's old KyoAni which while better than KeyoAni is still not as good as NeoAni.

Is there a codebook available that would aid me in deciphering of this post.

I take it it the brilliance of Amagi was the starting and ending point of the NeoAni.

Mabufu

Banned
Since you seem okay with the more fight oriented shows. I would recommend Jojo;s episodes 10-24 aka Battle Tendency( because rest of Jojo sucks), Gurren Lagann (if you haven't seen it yet), and maybe Saint Seiya: Lost Canvas (if you can bear with the premise and not very exciting main protagonist.)

But I thought second season of DtB doesn't exist.

I think I remember now why I must have stayed away from this show till now. Some of those character designs are halfway to the Clannad atrocity land.

A Rei clone, a complete psycho and a moe reincarnation. Dear Kyon, how can you be so smart and eloquent when narrating the events but no see that it is high time to jump from this ship ? Which for some inexplicable reason you've boarded. I have no knowledge of the franchise outside of the fact it's set in high school, has some time/sci-fi hijinks (I think) and that people dance in the ED. (Lamely) So far Kyon is the instantly likeable character but I can't say I'm feeling the rest cast yet. Gonna watch the first episode of the broadcast order now and decide which way to roll. We will see if this beats Amagi as the best KyoAni work. (Dun Dun)
I would say that Asahina is the worst character of the show. But since I have only eyes for Haruhi, I dont care.

Jintor

plz its all about that kyonko

there is a fantastic non-h kyonko doujin which is amazing. at one point there are three kyons running around at the same time all outsnarking one another

Theonik

Is there a codebook available that would aid me in deciphering of this post.

I take it it the brilliance of Amagi was the starting and ending point of the NeoAni.
The periods of KyoAni:
Shiawase Nani - Shiawase Nani
KeyoAni - Key era
Old KyoAni - Post-key, pre K-ON! KyoAni
IlluminAni - K-ON!
KyoAni - K-ON!! to Hyouka
KyoAni?! - Tamako Market
KyoAnus - Everything after Tamako and before Euphonium Tamako the Movie was unfortunately prosecuted as heretic in that era.
NeoAni - KyoAni, risen from it's own ashesexcrement

Cornbread78

Angel Beats ep. 11-END:
angel-beats-title-card.jpg

Ok, I really have to stop watching these shows, there was no warning for this one though, I was a victim of seeing a chick with a gun and a description about kids fighting in the afterlife, how was I supossed to know? I'm seriously watching nothing but Kill la Kill or some more manly harem shows when the MC takes all he wants from the ladies for awhile, all these feels are crazy. I mean, I shouldn't feel like this after watching these shows dammit! The ending here is another fu(king tearjerker but is so damn amazing at the same time, then on top of that you have
a second ending that shows he finally moved on and met Angel again back in the real world through reincarnation, was that a dream, did it really happen, was it just their souls that moved on to new hosts? Who cares, holy crap was that a touching moment. I mean, it's sad that his donated heart didn't work for Angel, which is why she was in the afterlife, but in the long run by falling in love with Angel and then learning that she had his heart, that it gave him the fulfillment he needed to move on even without her. That is what he couldn;t do for his own sister, whom he loved, but he was for Angel, which was the final kick he needed, just like her seeing the graduation and in-turn being loved by someone. Two totally different means to an end, but they messed it so perfectly, my lawd.
I need a cigarette now...

e_i

Angel Beats ep. 11-END:

Ok, I really have to stop watching these shows, there was no warning for this one though, I was a victim of seeing a chick with a gun and a description about kids fighting in the afterlife, how was I supossed to know? I'm seriously watching nothing but Kill la Kill or some more manly harem shows when the MC takes all he wants from the ladies for awhile, all these feels are crazy. I mean, I shouldn't feel like this after watching these shows dammit! The ending here is another fu(king tearjerker but is so damn amazing at the same time, then on top of that you have
a second ending that shows he finally moved on and met Angel again back in the real world through reincarnation, was that a dream, did it really happen, was it just their souls that moved on to new hosts? Who cares, holy crap was that a touching moment. I mean, it's sad that his donated heart didn't work for Angel, which is why she was in the afterlife, but in the long run by falling in love with Angel and then learning that she had his heart, that it gave him the fulfillment he needed to move on even without her. That is what he couldn;t do for his own sister, whom he loved, but he was for Angel, which was the final kick he needed, just like her seeing the graduation and in-turn being loved by someone. Two totally different means to an end, but they messed it so perfectly, my lawd.

I wonder who
Angel was waiting for when the MC walks past her when they're in another life? Yuri?

Mabufu

Banned
Angel Beats ep. 11-END:

You have no idea how I am envying you right now.
Watching Angel Beats and Clannad for the first time are among the BEST (if not THE BESTS) things I ever experienced.

Please, go watch AnoHana now if you didnt already : D

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Angel Beats ep. 11-END:

If there is one thing I hate about this show, its the plotholes.
Why can angel use the software? Why does angel arrive so early in Heaven even though she died much later than the MC?
Its things like these that make me wish this show was longer.

Angel Beats ep. 11-END:

I watched this a long time ago so my memory of all the events in this is very hazy. I do remember the ending blowing my mind too though, and I also remember wishing that certain things were explained in more detail, maybe more episodes. Nonetheless, it was great and I might have to watch it again one of these days.

Angel Beats ep. 11-END:

After watching Yuri's backstory, I knew this show would be interesting. I liked how an episode could go from gut-busting hilarious to really fucked up and sad.

Watching Angel Beats and Clannad for the first time are among the BEST (if not THE BESTS) things I ever experienced.

Oh man lol. He's not ready.

Why can angel use the software? Why does angel arrive so early in Heaven even though she died much later than the MC?

Same.
I kind of got confused about the whole software thing in general.
Nonetheless, still enjoyed it a lot.

cajunator

Banned
The periods of KyoAni:
KeyoAni - Key era
IlluminAni - K-ON!
KyoAni?! - Tamako Market
KyoAnus - Everything after Tamako and before Euphonium Tamako the Movie was unfortunately prosecuted as heretic in that era.

I dont feel like KyoAni ever fell below mediocre. Even when shows were lame they were still at least competently made. Just not up to the standard we know they can reach.

Angel Beats ep. 11-END:

Ano Hana will do the same. Watch that, but not right now.
ALso Angel Beats is better than people give it credit for (like a lot of things)
That doesnt mean it didnt totally derp it up a lot of times.
But yeah, AnoHana is the next step on the feels train and it is a biggie.

phaze

The periods of KyoAni:
KeyoAni - Key era
IlluminAni - K-ON!
KyoAni?! - Tamako Market

I love that you name and distunguish a period with just one show in it.

Angel Beats ep. 11-END:

Ok, I really have to stop watching these shows, there was no warning for this one though, I was a victim of seeing a chick with a gun and a description about kids fighting in the afterlife, how was I supossed to know? I'm seriously watching nothing but Kill la Kill or some more manly harem shows when the MC takes all he wants from the ladies for awhile, all these feels are crazy.

Watch 5cm per second.

You can totally trust me, after all, I'm the one who exposed you to the glory of School Days

Cornbread78

Very true, but as they put it, their
spirits "wondered" there, so timing in the normal world doesn't matter in the afterlife;
Honestly, with that world set up the way it was, they could have dragged it out for 3 seasons and tied it all together. I'm not sure if this series was derived from a manga, or LN series, but they could have said a lot of
Goodbyes to all the Battlefront members and go through their backgrounds one at a time
That alone, would have kept the series going much much longer and they still could have to get to that ending and even really build up the
Otonashi and Angel relationship more than the subtle hints they already had
. The main characters were all interesting and had something to offer. Also, this is another one of those shows with no fanservice, no blatant sexism, well, outside of the jokingly gay overtones from Hinata and Naoi used for more comic relief.

LOL, that one has been in my queue right next to Angel Beats for awhile now.... I'm not sure if I should hit the play button on it yet, I think I'll watch another mindless episode of Problem Children first....

Baalzebup

Angel Beats ep. 11-END:

Ok, I really have to stop watching these shows,

You really do seem to gravitate toward these sort of shows, don't you. That one broke me pretty good as well. I didn't think to mention it since I though it was mentioned whenever it was originally recommended to you.

Finish Kill-la-kill for now, that should serve as a good opposite end buffer.

Now and Then, Here and There wrecked me for a good month.

Well, when you're right, you're right, right? That was a weird mix of being grim as fuck and yet having a sort of a positive outlook on things. Shittin' good either way.

I think I remember why I have stayed away from this show till now. Some of those character designs are halfway to the Clannad atrocity land.

Noizi Ito's designs have changed dramatically from her earlier work. Here's the cover of the first Haruhi novel to show it's not as different as what people have said elsewhere. In comparison, here's novel 10's cover, drawn 8 years later.

Angel Beats ep. 11-END:

Angel Beats' series composition and original draft were done by Jun Maeda, the major writer for AIR and Clannad, and a minor writer for Kanon. Let this be a lesson to look at staff involved in a project as well.

Angel Beats ep. 11-END:

I am super happy that you enjoyed the show.

However, you should take a break and watch a non-feels show for a bit. You don't want to become numb to the feels after all. ;)

When you've watched a few comedies/shonens then you should pick up Anohana and Little Busters. Two good tearjerkers.

Theonik

K-ON! falls neither under the era that came before it or the era that came after. It is the point where KyoAni reached enlightenment and that which lead to them reaching their peak.

cajunator

Banned
Very true, but as they put it, their
spirits "wondered" there, so timing in the normal world doesn't matter in the afterlife;
Honestly, with that world set up the way it was, they could have dragged it out for 3 seasons and tied it all together. I'm not sure if this series was derived from a manga, or LN series, but they could have said a lot of
Goodbyes to all the Battlefront members and go through their backgrounds one at a time
That alone, would have kept the series going much much longer and they still could have to get to that ending and even really build up the
Otonashi and Angel relationship more than the subtle hints they already had
. The main characters were all interesting and had something to offer. Also, this is another one of those shows with no fanservice, no blatant sexism, well, outside of the jokingly gay overtones from Hinata and Naoi used for more comic relief.

LOL, that one has been in my queue right next to Angel Beats for awhile now.... I'm not sure if I should hit the play button on it yet, I think I'll watch another mindless episode of Problem Children first....

That is a very good idea. Also keep something in handy for between viewings.

Moving on to an actual good show:

Oh god this too.

OH and cornbread, if youre feeling particularly brave, watch Saikano.
Saikano is brutally depressing.

Cornbread78

You really do seem to gravitate toward these sort of shows, don't you. That one broke me pretty good as well. I didn't think to mention it since I though it was mentioned whenever it was originally recommended to you.

Finish Kill-la-kill for now, that should serve as a good opposite end buffer.

Watch 5cm per second.
You can totally trust me, after all, I'm the one who exposed you to the glory of School Days

Hmm, I had forgotten that was you, lol. With that being said, I should expect
one of them to turn into a crazed jeleous lover, slice their heart out and them kill themselves in an alternate version of Romeo and Juliette

Well, I still think every anime ends like Schol Days did, so it's all good. I types it in google so I could read the Myanimelist description, and I did notice these images pop up. I must say, I usually appreciate the more natural realistic looking anime style, however, the below is amazing....

tumblr_ngby2u2j6J1thq5geo1_500.gif

Angel Beats' series composition and original draft were done by Jun Maeda, the major writer for AIR and Clannad, and a minor writer for Kanon. Let this be a lesson to look at staff involved in a project as well.

I guess I'm still nwe to the medium, so I can;t really tell who is who yet, lol. But yeah, I get what your saying with Clannad and Kanon. I haven't heard of AIR before though..

cajunator

Banned
Hmm, I had forgotten that was you, lol. With that being said, I should expect
one of them to turn into a crazed jeleous lover, slice their heart out and them kill themselves in an alternate version of Romeo and Juliette

Well, I still think every anime ends like Schol Days did, so it's all good. I types it in google so I could read the Myanimelist description, and I did notice these images pop up. I must say, I usually appreciate the more natural realistic looking anime style, however, the below is amazing....

tumblr_ngby2u2j6J1thq5geo1_500.gif

I guess I'm still nwe to the medium, so I can;t really tell who is who yet, lol. But yeah, I get what your saying with Clannad and Kanon. I haven't heard of AIR before though..

watch Saikano. But do it later. After you heal.
also yes Shinkai's work is GORGEOUS.

Cornbread78

That is a very good idea. Also keep something in handy for between viewings.
OH and cornbread, if youre feeling particularly brave, watch Saikano.
Saikano is brutally depressing.

I've heard that one mentioned before with the picture of the little angle girl that is dying the entire episode, right? That is also one of the very few animes out there that sex is actually depicted in it. I think it came up in topic a few weeks ago...

Moving on to an actual good show:

I'll have to look it up, it's not on Crunchy, so maybe Funi or Hulu.

I am super happy that you enjoyed the show.
However, you should take a break and watch a non-feels show for a bit. You don't want to become numb to the feels after all. ;)
When you've watched a few comedies/shonens then you should pick up Anohana and Little Busters. Two good tearjerkers.

Yup, both of those are already in my Crunchy queue from previous recomendations. I'll get to them eventually. I'll watch a little Problem Children and Kill la Kill this afternoon maybe.

Baalzebup

With that being said, I should expect

The world of animu has even this one covered, kinda sorta. The ending to Romeo X Juliet is even more bleak than the more traditional endings. No yandere though.

Dynedom

I've heard that one mentioned before with the picture of the little angle girl that is dying the entire episode, right? That is also one of the very few animes out there that sex is actually depicted in it. I think it came up in topic a few weeks ago...

Yup, both of those are already in my Crunchy queue from previous recomendations. I'll get to them eventually. I'll watch a little Problem Children and Kill la Kill this afternoon maybe.

It goes without saying but: Grave of the Fireflies.

Other heartwrenchers I've seen:

Chrno Crusade
The Wolf Children - Ame and Yume
Rurouni Kenshin - Trust and Betrayal

Cornbread78

Chrno Crusade

Rurouni is a 90 episode series on Crunchy, but the other three are not on Crunchy, Hulu or Funi, lol.

cajunator

Banned

Saikano does depict them having sex but its not something explicit. It is very obvious though thats what they did. Its not done for fanservice either. Its a beautiful moment in an otherwise very bleak story.
Chise basically gets taken away by the govt and turned into an experimental death machine to fight a war. She slowly and agonizingly begins to lose her humanity and turning more and more into a weapon while her BF struggles to stay alive and hold onto her as she slips away. Its soul crushing.

Chrno Crusade

Oh my gooooood Chrno Crusade. Yeah that show is sometimes really fun and sometimes incredibly sad.
I highly recommend watching it though.

3. also what was the deal with
Gon at the end? He basically broke down and threw his life away, but when he's heals he acts the same as he was pre-Greed Island. He shows some little semblance of something when talking to Ging and Kite, but even then it felt like the actual events in the castle siege didn't matter much to him. We can see pain in killua from all that happened, but not much with Gon and that bothers me.

I always thought that was because
When Alluka healed him, it essentially made it never happen.

cajunator

Banned
Rurouni is a 90 episode series on Crunchy, but the other three are not on Crunchy, Hulu or Funi, lol.

This is the #1 problem I have with streaming. SOmetimes watching a show is simply impossible unless you have the discs (and I often do and wish I had some way to share shows people want to watch)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Gintama° 6

Finally, Katsura has arrived. Now this season is getting interesting.
I like how they just took the piss out of the Joi stuff after making a movie all about it. Man. lol

I'm going to assume that this leads into that big arc that people were talking about from the manga?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom