• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You guys have so much hatred in your heart.

Umaru-chan will heal it for you next season.

...or you'll hate it because your souls were hit by trucks driven by Seo Kouji.

BBB 2 Dub

So I guess this white girl is a bones original character? Never a good sign when Bones comes up with original ideas this early on in the plot :|

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Well, I'm heading down the road to another hard lesson learned, There's no romance left for me in anime, lol. I'll keep looking though. .

You should check out Cardcaptor Sakura if at all possible, GOAT show.

You guys have so much hatred in your heart.

Umaru-chan will heal it for you next season.

...or you'll hate it because your souls were hit by trucks driven by Seo Kouji.

Working season 3 will do that for me. Show is filled with greatness.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Umaru-chan will save this community from the smut overload that is next season.

If the anime for Prison School is a 1/4 of what the manga was, it'll consume us all in its glory!!!!
iwG5MYWnXHC22.png

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I guess I'm just on an unlucky streak then, lol. I see this one through, but the MC is going to be aggravating if it continues as is..

I'll have to break through more of Honey and Clover to get past the lull and see if that works..

That show gets so painful in the second season but its a good kind of pain, one that promotes maturity and independence.

BBB 2 Dub

So I guess this white girl is a bones original character? Never a good sign when Bones comes up with original ideas this early on in the plot :|

Don't worry the script writer is new to Bones so the chances of it turning to shit is really low since he isn't associated with Bones. Plus the script writer has so far been doing Live-Action adaptions mainly and he also did the Liar Game Live-Action adaption. So far the anime original content is really good and actually feels like it fits in the original source.

Umaru-chan will save this community from the smut overload that is next season.

No that's Gangsta's and Non Non Biyori's job.

Mature

No,you don't have to watch it, but you would probably watch the action scenes and nothing else.
I'm not interested in the action scenes. I'm interested in Okada melodrama, and the many gifs and screencaps over the years has made it look hysterical.

Narag

I'm not interested in the action scenes. I'm interested in Okada melodrama, and the many gifs and screencaps over the years has made it look hysterical.

It's true, I don't even remember the action. The little bird story is etched into my heart though.

Cornbread78

Yes, that honey and clover. There are two seasons to the show. You'll see what I mean once you reach that far into the show. Watch it and all of its glory.

Yeah, so far it's a normal dude and a weird dude both lusting over the doll chuck (honey) and the third dude totally rejected the tall chick (clover) and lust for a much older woman. Go figure..

Puruzi

Banned
Doremi Sharp 48&49
Whoa...
This might be like, my favorite anime.
Each season is supposed to get better than the last? Impossible, no WAY this gets topped.
I am so, so glad I decided to watch this. So, so glad.

cajunator

Banned
I guess I'm just on an unlucky streak then, lol. I'll see this one through, but the MC is going to be aggravating if it continues as is..

I'll have to break through more of Honey and Clover to get past the lull and see if that works..

Theres a lot of stuff that isnt streaming that you could watch. Just research on MAL and anime news network you will find dozens of shows.

Sterok

Magic Knight Rayearth 49

And so it ends.
Hikaru accepts her darker parts, and Nova disappears. She was probably the best anime original thing. Alcyone finally dies. Surprised it took that long. Everyone teams up to fight Debonair. Considering how every other major villain had some depth or tragedy to them, it's kind of disappointing that she ends up just this super evil manifestation. But I like everyone willing the Magic Knights to win, so I'll let it slide. Hikaru's choice as the Pillar feels a bit too easy, though I suppose it would be risky in reality. Hikaru, Umi, and Fuu all earned their year-long vacation from Cephiro, and especially their happiness.

So that was pretty good. All the characters were sufficiently distinct and entertaining. Umi in particular was a blast, getting all the funny moments and sufficient amounts of awesome with her fencing as well. Fuu had a tendency to repeat things too much, but other than that she was cool. She had a more pragmatic side, but she never let that take over from her kindness. Hikaru's sheer will made her strong, and the mental challenges she faced were great.

Good sidecast as well. Mokona was a fun familiar, even if he wasn't (manga spoilers)
god or whatever this time. Though that was hinted at.
Clef and Ferio all played their roles well. As did the Preseas. Though that was really awkward to reconcile it with the manga. The original villains were all fun. Emeraude and Zagato had their tragedy well played out. Ascot, Caldina, and Lafarga all had nice development and got in on the action well enough. Alcyone was crazy, but it was handled well. Inouva kind of got screwed, but oh well. Not everyone can make it out well.

The second half's cast was... not as good. Lantis was never a compelling character. Felt like he existed just to give Hikaru a love interest. An awkward one. Primera was kind of worthless, but she was at least entertaining. That little girl ended up surprisingly useful. Did not like Autozam. Especially Eagle. Too smug in his behavior and wasn't even cool to make up for it. His romance(?) with Hikaru/Lantis was even more awkward. Should have just stuck with Lantis. Chizeta and especially Fahren were more entertaining though. I'm all right with them. Debonair was just this really evil person. All flash, no substance, which is rare for this show. Nova was actually compelling, a crazy baddie who managed to make herself look awesome instead of making the heroes look weak. I have some quibbles with the way she was handled, but around the middle she was the main reason I was still watching.

Animation was alright. It got the job done, and the on foot fighting was pretty good. Not afraid to spill blood. Excellent soundtrack. That got me pumped up when it was appropriate.

On the bad side, I don't think the staff knew how to handle robot battles. Those were usually much stiffer than the ground combat, and the heroes almost never won with them. The increased focus on them in the second half weakened the action segments. The romance stuff aside from Fuu/Ferio either was weird (everything with Umi) or too awkward to enjoy (Hikaru). The first half had a basic plot with a solid twist. The second half was more compelling, but it added a lot of elements that didn't really work out that well. The invading countries never sat well with me for some reason, and Debonair was clearly added just for a final villain to blow up.

Overall, it's a solid fantasy classic with a good cast, and that's what matters most. A recommended watch if you can stand the huge tonal shift in the second half.

Cornbread78

Theres a lot of stuff that isnt streaming that you could watch. Just research on MAL and anime news network you will find dozens of shows.

Yeah, I'll look around more. I have a ton of stuff on my Crunchy queue that I haven't watched yet and the same for my MAL. The hard part is quality> quantity.

Phatmac

I don't think I'd want to be friends with any of those guys except Poppo. Everyone seems like assholes. Hope they get better. Menma is too cute. Shame she died.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Yeah, so far it's a normal dude and a weird dude both lusting over the doll chuck (honey) and the third dude totally rejected the tall chick (clover) and lust for a much older woman. Go figure..

You'll get to the point where you'll start making emotional posts about the show.

Doremi Sharp 48&49
Whoa...
This might be like, my favorite anime.
Each season is supposed to get better than the last? Impossible, no WAY this gets topped.
I am so, so glad I decided to watch this. So, so glad.

You may not believe it but yes, each season is better than the last one. This does in fact get topped.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah, I'll look around more. I have a ton of stuff on my Crunchy queue that I haven't watched yet and the same for my MAL. The hard part is quality> quantity.

watch Chrno Crusade. Im telling you.

I don't think I'd want to be friends with any of those guys except Poppo. Everyone seems like assholes. Hope they get better. Menma is too cute. Shame she died.

Yeah Menma is the one good thing about the cast. It hits like a ton of bricks.

PunchLIne - 07
Punch%20Line%20-%2007.jpg

Ok ...and it ...actually make sense ?? Wow.
And everything still doesn't make sense , even after those flashback and EVEN after the fact that we know more and more of the cast..
Feels great to try to piece everything together and punchline certainly has an intresting story for everyone.
Damn , after that rough first 2 episode , how far has punchline gotten ? Quite far , i cannot wait to see what's going on , as we do have plenty of questions left unanswered.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
If White weren't in the show, there would be pretty much no reason to care about Leo.

Remember Leo's sister, the whole reason he's in Hellsalem's Lot to begin with and supposedly his single most powerful motivation? Well, the show doesn't.

cj_iwakura

Magic Knight Rayearth 49

And so it ends.
Hikaru accepts her darker parts, and Nova disappears. She was probably the best anime original thing. Alcyone finally dies. Surprised it took that long. Everyone teams up to fight Debonair. Considering how every other major villain had some depth or tragedy to them, it's kind of disappointing that she ends up just this super evil manifestation. But I like everyone willing the Magic Knights to win, so I'll let it slide. Hikaru's choice as the Pillar feels a bit too easy, though I suppose it would be risky in reality. Hikaru, Umi, and Fuu all earned their year-long vacation from Cephiro, and especially their happiness.

So that was pretty good. All the characters were sufficiently distinct and entertaining. Umi in particular was a blast, getting all the funny moments and sufficient amounts of awesome with her fencing as well. Fuu had a tendency to repeat things too much, but other than that she was cool. She had a more pragmatic side, but she never let that take over from her kindness. Hikaru's sheer will made her strong, and the mental challenges she faced were great.

Good sidecast as well. Mokona was a fun familiar, even if he wasn't (manga spoilers)
god or whatever this time. Though that was hinted at.
Clef and Ferio all played their roles well. As did the Preseas. Though that was really awkward to reconcile it with the manga. The original villains were all fun. Emeraude and Zagato had their tragedy well played out. Ascot, Caldina, and Lafarga all had nice development and got in on the action well enough. Alcyone was crazy, but it was handled well. Inouva kind of got screwed, but oh well. Not everyone can make it out well.

The second half's cast was... not as good. Lantis was never a compelling character. Felt like he existed just to give Hikaru a love interest. An awkward one. Primera was kind of worthless, but she was at least entertaining. That little girl ended up surprisingly useful. Did not like Autozam. Especially Eagle. Too smug in his behavior and wasn't even cool to make up for it. His romance(?) with Hikaru/Lantis was even more awkward. Should have just stuck with Lantis. Chizeta and especially Fahren were more entertaining though. I'm all right with them. Debonair was just this really evil person. All flash, no substance, which is rare for this show. Nova was actually compelling, a crazy baddie who managed to make herself look awesome instead of making the heroes look weak. I have some quibbles with the way she was handled, but around the middle she was the main reason I was still watching.

Animation was alright. It got the job done, and the on foot fighting was pretty good. Not afraid to spill blood. Excellent soundtrack. That got me pumped up when it was appropriate.

On the bad side, I don't think the staff knew how to handle robot battles. Those were usually much stiffer than the ground combat, and the heroes almost never won with them. The increased focus on them in the second half weakened the action segments. The romance stuff aside from Fuu/Ferio either was weird (everything with Umi) or too awkward to enjoy (Hikaru). The first half had a basic plot with a solid twist. The second half was more compelling, but it added a lot of elements that didn't really work out that well. The invading countries never sat well with me for some reason, and Debonair was clearly added just for a final villain to blow up.

Overall, it's a solid fantasy classic with a good cast, and that's what matters most. A recommended watch if you can stand the huge tonal shift in the second half.

Check out the Saturn RPG if you can, it has some great moments.

498.jpg

mk5t.jpg

Cornbread78

watch Chrno Crusade. Im telling you.

The year is 1928 A.D. The place is New York, U.S.A. The economic prosperity brought forth after the Great War also heightened the presence of something far darker and much more sinister: the demonic Sinners. The Magdalene Order is an organization that tries to counter this force. Two of its exorcists are Rosette Christopher and her assistant, Chrono. Both appear out of place in an organization like this, and they are in a quest to find Rosette's missing brother, Joshua. Their relationships, secrets and fates can only be revealed in time...

Interesting, another oldie. Funi's got it dubbed and subbed, which is better?

sonicmj1

Remember Leo's sister, the whole reason he's in Hellsalem's Lot to begin with and supposedly his single most powerful motivation? Well, the show doesn't.

The crazy thing is that, as far as I'm aware, the manga doesn't either.

The nice thing about White and her brother is that he can be used as a foil to Leo down the line, and that relationship with his sister might then actually mean something.

The new recently released Vol 10 of the manga is covering Leo's sister and it seems highly serious from the raws that were shown. If there's a second season it would definitely be covered considering how important it is. Plus since Rie Matsumoto loves the relationship parallel between brother and sister it would be great for her.

Phatmac

All the people in this show are messed up. I nominate Tsurka as biggest ice queen bitch. Menma's too good for these dumb teens.

PUNCHLINE 7

caO0Vgd.png

I love how this is a serious sentence too.

So glad I waited and watched episodes 2-6 in one go. Otherwise the twists from last episode and todays wouldnt have had much of an effect. I'm just gonna stop reading speculation and theories on this show 'cause fans surprisingly got a lot of them right so it feels like I'm reading spoilers.

Show went from interesting, to "uh, okay", to "umm..", to "holy fuck yes yes yessssssss". Love it.

Chiranosuke is highly suspicious. I hope we dont get Kyubey'd.

Sterok

Check out the Saturn RPG if you can, it has some great moments.

498.jpg

mk5t.jpg

I've heard fun things about this, but it appears to be more risque than I imagined. Alas, I do not have a Saturn.

Now I need to consider whether to watch Sugar Sugar Rune (picked it on a whim), Sorcerer Hunters (heard it was similar to Slayers), or Ojamajo Doremi (heard good things about that recently, though who knows where).

At least that was my initial plan. But before any of those, there's a particular anime I need to watch first to celebrate an upcoming event.

Thoraxes

Totally wrong on calling the girls honey and clover lol, even in a symbolic manner.

You gotta stick with it until the sixth episode to really see where it's going, sadly. The first 5 are just pretty mediocre.

They werent bad but the story really didnt kick off until episode 3-4, when shit started to get real. It was still pretty enjoyable otherwise. I liked the comedy bits.

GENELLLAAALLU LIBELALUUU. Cheermancy was amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom