• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

I meant this one, but that one is funny as hell too...
well, this is the newest adaptation I've seen now*(from the E32015 thread, lol)..
neogaf25rugz.gif

Hm?
Yukito is the descendant of Ryuya and Uraha. And Misuzu is Kanna reincarnated.
Anyway... It's one of the weaker shows that would have been better as 2 cour. And the one where the movie is actually more straight-forward and better.
Oh, and did you spot the cameo in episode 2? :p

No dammit, maybe I need to watch it again since I missed it. It's hard to tell since many of their characters look so alike....,

Yeah, but who was
that boy and girl at the end that made up the AIR logo?

Ninja Slayer 06

I can't decide if the best part of this episode was Ninja Slayer spinning around but his head stayed still or when he kicked off the big dudes head then it exploded.

From the little I've read it's about crazy oddjobers that have some great backstory, they pretty much take offers, have fun, and fight. Though there are definitely it's serious moments as well. It's not episodic but more continuous. From looking at the trailer Studio Manglobe definitely got the atmosphere down.
I see, I'm looking forward to it a lot. Looks like Black Lagoon all over again and I loved that show so much lol.

Midonin

Etotama 07

Snakes are always a deceptive type. So it was a recap episode - and the episode itself called attention to that as bluntly as possible - but it did provide a nice chance to decompress, especially considering what the other big Thursday show is going to be doing. I wouldn't call it entirely skippable either, since Nya-tan gets another seal out of it. And there are some nice little gags sprinkled between the recaps.

Jex

City Hunter 1 Review (TV Series, 51 Episodes, 1987)

[...]

Drama, comedy, action, M&M’s and beautiful girls, it’s all here, in the city that never sleeps, with its watchful protector looking over as long as one beautiful girl still exists, ready to strike. At the end of it all, through thick and thin, with chance and luck, all I can truly say is, Mokkori![/B]
10/10

I agree with everything you've written, City Hunter is a great show and I somehow missed the M&M's sponsorship.

cajunator

Banned

looks kind of generic but I think I saw a catgirl so its a maybe.

I've found it helps if you go to the time stamp that you want, then pause it for a couple seconds while it catches up. It should run fine after that...

AIR
Almost done, I can't deal with this first thing in the morning....

Cornbread watch Yami!
And if not that watch Chrno Crusade because its really good.

So does Crunchyroll's news team have any of the same problems as ANN, or are they better? Why can't we just have a straightforward English-language anime news site that's not a blog?

But blog format is what all news sites use now isnt it?

javac

I agree with everything you've written, City Hunter is a great show and I somehow missed the M&M's sponsorship.

I'm really glad that you agree :) It's a beautiful show, and I'm actually tearing up a bit now that it's over for a while. I'm going to watch some other things before jumping into Part 2, but man I'm going to miss Ryou and Kaori in the meantime. I'm going to make sure that the down time isn't too long, as I really want to get back in. Such an amazing show, thanks to everybody who ever urged me to watch this, it was such a fun ride. It's silly, and funny and just so down to earth and lovable, with a cast of characters that's impossible to hate. I remember talking about how reviews aren't my thing, but I do hope that people who are on the fence give this a shot, and I'd be glad if my write up helps. Don't let the long run-time dissuade you.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
looks kind of generic but I think I saw a catgirl so its a maybe.

Cornbread watch Yami!
And if not that watch Chrno Crusade because its really good.

But blog format is what all news sites use now isnt it?

Chrono Crusade.

The anime where I was disappointed to learn it had nothing to do with Chrono Trigger.

javac

On another note, I just picked this up, not seen the show yet so I look forward to giving it a go some time soon. The packaging is simple and really nice, a very sturdy digipak, which I love. No fluff, no unnecessary logos and such, even the bbfc logo is a removable sticker. God bless you BEEZ Entertainment, R.I.P you glorious people, this was their last release.

Clov

On another note, I just picked this up, not seen the show yet so I look forward to giving it a go some time soon. The packaging is simple and really nice, a very sturdy digipak, which I love. No fluff, no unnecessary logos and such, even the bbfc logo is a removable sticker. God bless you BEEZ Entertainment, R.I.P you glorious people, this was their last release.

Literally my favorite anime ever. It's a wonderful and unique experience, and I hope you enjoy it.

Super jealous that Europe got such a nice set; Funimation still hasn't done any kind of release for it. I'm hoping that if Ping-Pong sells decent enough, they'll finally release it.

cajunator

Banned

I see this and for whatever reason I think of Yuyushiki.
what do yall think?

txtsq6N.gif

(courtesy of CheapJuice)

Goddamn that Key moeblob design.
Her mouth is almost on the same level as her eyes.

a lot of shows in that time period had odd face proportions. Key was hardly the only culprits. Remember Broccoli?

Chrono Crusade.

The anime where I was disappointed to learn it had nothing to do with Chrono Trigger.

Chrno Crusade is a lot of great memories for me but either my TV had an awful dvd player or the disc quality was abysmal because it skipped and messed up in the middle of viewings with brand new discs.

Ahh yes. Something I am actually super jealous about and want very badly.

Cornbread78

Etotama 07
Well, it was definately a summary episode for the season thus far (I think they mentioned it about 20 times in funny fashion). I can;t remember the total number of seasls she has up to this date, but I think it has to be at least 6-7. It was interesting seeing everything put together again without having to marathon through the episodes again. It also brings to light the struggle with the cat vs. rat issue and maybe a little forshadowing with how the
Cat's temple will disappear soon.
, Nya-Tan is lots of fun, so I hope that is not the case, but I guess we will have to wait and see....

javac

Literally my favorite anime ever. It's a wonderful and unique experience, and I hope you enjoy it.

Super jealous that Europe got such a nice set; Funimation still hasn't done any kind of release for it. I'm hoping that if Ping-Pong sells decent enough, they'll finally release it.

Wow, lots of praise I see! Excited to watch it, always looked interesting to me, and my brother who has seen it says, and I quote "You'll like it, it's your type of show" so I'm interested to see what he considers to be 'my type of show' :p

Its a really nice set, a swansong for Beez if you will, and yeah very surprised to see this not getting a release in the US, especially if something like Aku no Hana can get released there :p I have the Funi Ping Pong set pre-ordered, I think I remember it being region free right? Very excited to see that for the first time too!

EDIT:
Ahh yes. Something I am actually super jealous about and want very badly.
A shame the US never saw this released, hopefully they get it out one day! Even Geass on BD in the US is MIA, right?

Etotama - 07

Well I don't think this show needed a recap episode. At least they did try to make it interesting. Hopefully the racing next episode will make up for it.

cajunator

Banned
Wow, lots of praise I see! Excited to watch it, always looked interesting to me, and my brother who has seen it says, and I quote "You'll like it, it's your type of show" so I'm interested to see what he considers to be 'my type of show' :p

Its a really nice set, a swansong for Beez if you will, and yeah very surprised to see this not getting a release in the US, especially if something like Aku no Hana can get released there :p I have the Funi Ping Pong set pre-ordered, I think I remember it being region free right? Very excited to see that for the first time too!

EDIT:

A shame the US never saw this released, hopefully they get it out one day! Even Geass on BD in the US is MIA, right?

Yes. The US is getting screwed on a lot of things now.
maybe they fear bad sales but I dont think Tatami galaxy is that much of a risk. Or even Dennou Coil.

javac

maybe they fear bad sales but I dont think Tatami galaxy is that much of a risk. Or even Dennou Coil.

I feel your pain. I think a lot of it has to do with US sharing the same BD region code as Japan, so a lot of these silly companies fear reverse importation since Japanese Blu-rays cost a bomb 9 times out of 10 and this lends credence as to why the EU get releases of Gurren with the movies on BD for around $130, and why we're getting The Vision of Escaflowne on BD, probably for a similar price etc. There's many other reasons, some of them of a strategic nature (so they don't blow their load at once and have things on the back burner to release in the slower periods etc) but I think region has a lot to do with it.

That's why a lot of Japanese audio tracks are lower quality here (2.0 etc) or lack Japanese subtitles, to deter Japanese people from importing them. It's also the reason why Madoka get released on BD in the UK for around $40, but even so it still bombed here lol :p

It's unlikely to get the units moved that Funi wanted at that time. Right now the title is too old to move very many units. Given the tough sell NIS America had for House of Five Leaves when they acquired the home video rights, it's unlikely even they will take a chance on it compared to other, newer, titles that have a greater chance of selling more.

I feel your pain. I think a lot of it has to do with US sharing the same BD region code as Japan, so a lot of these silly companies fear reverse importation since Japanese Blu-rays cost a bomb 9 times out of 10 and this lends credence as to why the EU get releases of Gurren with the movies on BD for around $130, and why we're getting The Vision of Escaflowne on BD, probably for a similar price etc. There's many other reasons, some of them of a strategic nature (so they don't blow their load at once and have things on the back burner to release in the slower periods etc) but I think region has a lot to do with it.

That's why a lot of Japanese audio tracks are lower quality here (2.0 etc) or lack Japanese subtitles, to deter Japanese people from importing them. It's also the reason why Madoka get released on BD in the UK for around $40, but even so it still bombed here lol :p

JP audio tracks are often 2.0 because most people in Japan do not have surround sound systems. Only movies tend to be produced with a 5.0 or greater audio track and the occasional show (FMP: TSR) will have it. Funi takes the sound effects/music and tries to replicate it in 5.0.

Again, the JP pricing is more related to the volume format and the market than the actual price. TV shows in Japan that run at 9 PM are priced on BD at $250 for the whole set, so it's not too much more for a 6 volume BD set. It's more the rest of the world that moved down in pricing to move more units, which never happened in Japan because they lost revenue when prices were cheaper as people tend not to buy physical media there (anime is a niche audience who does).

There is definitely a fear of the NA releases taking over the marketplace, which is why the companies work so hard to prevent it with locked subtitles and country code restrictions.

That's a really nice box set. Worthy of Tatami Galaxy.

PK Gaming

(whistles)

Sweet haul. This is my all time favorite anime of all time so I hope you enjoy

javac

JP audio tracks are often 2.0 because most people in Japan do not have surround sound systems. Only movies tend to be produced with a 5.0 or greater audio track and the occasional show (FMP: TSR) will have it. Funi takes the sound effects/music and tries to replicate it in 5.0.
You're correct with this, it's why I laugh when people complain that the Japanese track on GITS BD was 2.0 for example, because that's how it was released. Things being windowboxed was also a thing often used in order to combat overscan on older TV's, with some DVD's having a red tint due to people watching them on a monitor etc. Early Ghibli DVD's were susceptible to this. I see people complaining about the windowboxing on GITS and Royal Space Force and other BD's a lot. Bit off topic. Having said that, I do think downgrades happen far too often to be a lack of competency or resources.

Again, the JP pricing is more related to the volume format and the market than the actual price. TV shows in Japan that run at 9 PM are priced on BD at $250 for the whole set, so it's not too much more for a 6 volume BD set. It's more the rest of the world that moved down in pricing to move more units, which never happened in Japan because they lost revenue when prices were cheaper as people tend not to buy physical media there (anime is a niche audience who does).
Not saying that I disagree with the pricing in Japan, as I tend to import a lot of stuff and love the Japanese releases and have no qualms with the prices myself, but I do see quite a few Japanese people importing things from the west too when it comes to anime.

There is definitely a fear of the NA releases taking over the marketplace, which is why the companies work so hard to prevent it with locked subtitles and country code restrictions.
Yup, agreed, but I do agree that there's more to it, like I said, sometimes distributors hold things back strategically like releasing GITS on the Anniversary, Manga releasing Kai in the UK with the announcement of DB Super etc. Sometimes it helps to drive sales when something is released alongside a certain event.

javac

That's a really nice box set. Worthy of Tatami Galaxy.

(whistles)

Sweet haul. This is my all time favorite anime of all time so I hope you enjoy

Thanks :) ! I'll make sure to let you all know how I get on with the show when I watch it. The package is really simple but very sturdy and very pretty to look at. I love simple packages like this, just throw all of the info on a J-card/Obi and keep the packaging clean I say! Loving all of the praise being thrown at this show, I'll keep expectations in order as I want to enjoy it naturally, but I have to say I'm excited!

So I could import the euro release though right?

You can indeed, but its a bit pricy these days being OOP, with the demise of Beez. Having said that, if I find one for a good price I'll let you know, unless you're fine with the prices right now. Good luck in any case, I really do hope that you get your hands on it :)

phaze

Ninja Slayer 06

I can't decide if the best part of this episode was Ninja Slayer spinning around but his head stayed still or when he kicked off the big dudes head then it exploded.

Did the blond girl from the OP show up ?
Katanagatari - END

Wow. Just... wow. Quite the finish. I really can't even process it all right now. Just thankful for the interesting ride.

I feel very peaceful.

Cheerio !

This reminds me that I was supposed write something up about that ending.

cajunator

Banned
Thanks :) ! I'll make sure to let you all know how I get on with the show when I watch it. The package is really simple but very sturdy and very pretty to look at. I love simple packages like this, just throw all of the info on a J-card/Obi and keep the packaging clean I say! Loving all of the praise being thrown at this show, I'll keep expectations in order as I want to enjoy it naturally, but I have to say I'm excited!

You can indeed, but its a bit pricy these days being OOP, with the demise of Beez. Having said that, if I find one for a good price I'll let you know, unless you're fine with the prices right now. Good luck in any case, I really do hope that you get your hands on it :)

I just need a region free player right?
Are pc players region free?

Cornbread78

Golden Time ep4-11:
I get it now, even though I spoiled it for myself this morning, I made it through it. It really wasn’t as bad as I thought; it was actually done in a cool way.
It wasn't a ghost, just a visual representation of his memories that were still still present, just locked away internally. They used that "ghost" to help show the internal and external struggle he had been going through the whole time. In other news, it looks like Kaga heard the late night conversation Banri had with Linda and is crushed, but is about to be completely crushed even more now that Banri is getting his memories back.
EDIT, maybe not, lol)
This kinda sucks. I mean they could make it work great if both hooked up with their childhood friends in the end, but we'll see what happens, it's not looking good for her right now, especially with the cinnamon girl around.

Yes Cajun, she is pretty good:
large.gif

tumblr_mwdnf5WNtS1rwvjm6o4_250.gif

They were the
boy and girl they watched on the beach in the beginning of the show :p

unacceptable.
He had words of wisdom for them looking back into what was going on. Plus, the whole point is that she was supossed to grow wing, and we didn;t get to see that, only the fact she died and sent to heaven..uggh

Clov

It's unlikely to get the units moved that Funi wanted at that time. Right now the title is too old to move very many units. Given the tough sell NIS America had for House of Five Leaves when they acquired the home video rights, it's unlikely even they will take a chance on it compared to other, newer, titles that have a greater chance of selling more.

Personally I'm still a bit hopeful. Much stranger things have happened in the North American industry that I never could have predicted. With Funimation dipping their toes into sub-only releases, I'm a bit more hopeful than before.

cajunator

Banned
They were the
boy and girl they watched on the beach in the beginning of the show :p

Those are DVDs, so VLC Media Player will play them.

noted.

Golden Time ep4-11:
I get it now, even though I spoiled it for myself this morning, I made it through it. It really wasn’t as bad as I thought; it was actually done in a cool way.
It wasn't a ghost, just a visual representation of his memories that were still still present, just locked away internally. They used that "ghost" to help show the internal and external struggle he had been going through the whole time. In other news, it looks like Kaga heard the late night conversation Banri had with Linda and is crushed, but is about to be completely crushed even more now that Banri is getting his memories back.
This kinda sucks. I mean they could make it work great if both hooked up with their childhood friends in the end, but we'll see what happens, it's not looking good for her right now, especially with the cinnamon girl around.

Yes Cajun, she is pretty good:
large.gif

tumblr_mwdnf5WNtS1rwvjm6o4_250.gif

unacceptable.
He had words of wisdom for them looking back into what was going on. Plus, the whole point is that she was supossed to grow wing, and we didn;t get to see that, only the fact she died and sent to heaven..uggh

She's not just pretty good, she is a GODDESS>
tumblr_nbb7nnlKKY1rbnx7io1_500.gif

Personally I'm still a bit hopeful. Much stranger things have happened in the North American industry that I never could have predicted. With Funimation dipping their toes into sub-only releases, I'm a bit more hopeful than before.

We got bluray releases of Cowboy Bebop, Sailor Moon, and Cardcaptor Sakura all in the same year. I wont be surprised by anything now.

unacceptable.

No.
The point was that the human body isn't fit to contain the winged being so she was destined to die all the time, but thanks to Yukito, this time Kanna's spirit got freed and the 1000 year cycle ended.

Midonin

Punchline 07

Go back. To the beginning.

Time loops and visual novels and anime have a very intertwined relationship, but a lot of what's going on applies to every story about time travel. You have to change history without making anyone think you've changed history. And we get an explanation for Yuu/Yuuta
it was a case of a multi-part body swap. So not only is Chiyoko/Yuu not really herself, this means Mikatan isn't strictly "herself" either. Not quite transgender, but still a case of people being confused about their identity.
This show just gets more interesting by the week.

Cornbread78

No.
The point was that the human body isn't fit to contain the winged being so she was destined to die all the time, but thanks to Yukito, this time Kanna's spirit got freed and the 1000 year cycle ended.

I don't know how I miss major plot points like that sometimes.... It must be the fact that I answered an e-mail at the wrong time, etc... I didn't get that impression at all.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I see this and for whatever reason I think of Yuyushiki.
what do yall think?

a lot of shows in that time period had odd face proportions. Key was hardly the only culprits. Remember Broccoli?

One of the first anime I ever saw was Kimi ga Nozomu Eien and they all had really weird spaces between their eyes back then too. I just didn't notice it because a lot of stuff was like that then.

One also might ask how one of the first anime I ever saw was Kimi ga Nozomu Eien and yet I still watch anime.

The world may never know.

Mandelbo

Milky Holmes S2 Completed

So that ending was kinda shitty, but expected I guess. The group losing their Toys over and over isn't quite as funny as it's made out to be, and it's disappointing that it's basically the exact same ending as the first season had. Gotta leave room for sequels somehow, I guess!

Overall I didn't enjoy this as much as I did the first season. Weirdly, while this season had much more of a plot to it with the threat of the school being closed down, Milky Holmes themselves don't appear to have as prominent a goal - or at least they don't act like they do. The majority of the humour in S1 came from the group's naive attempts at getting their Toys back and demonstrating what horrible detectives they actually are despite being famous throughout the academy, their blind optimism causing them to take any chance they could get their hands on if it meant they could become true detectives again and regain their former glory.

For most of S2 no such ambition appears to exist. The first two episodes may have been the most frustrating attempts at comedy I've seen in quite some time as it misconstrues why the original is funny. By removing their drive to become detectives, these episodes essentially destroy Milky Holmes' likability, becoming pig-headed and ignorant to the rest of the cast. This merely renders them insufferable rather than endearing, especially given that we aren't given an explanation for as to why they become farmers and abandon detectivehood (even though they still live in the academy!) Hell, the only reason we're given for them forgetting the very existence of Toys despite them living in a detective academy is "we forgot about them while trying to survive!" which is an extremely lacklustre excuse for throwing their entire motivation for the last season out the window. Stupidity by itself is not enjoyable to watch.

That being said, the later episodes do pull themselves together in terms of actually being entertaining and much less infuriating to watch - I particularly remember enjoying episode 6. I don't have a whole lot to say about them other than that because they're pretty much a continuation of the first season. I'm still not sure if I actually found Lard Boy being the season's big bad funny as opposed to simply absurd, though.

OP and ED were pretty much by the numbers, the animation was still alright with no memorable quality slips and the music was still serviceable as far as background music goes. Not outstanding, but not awful either.

Overall it was a pretty decent experience marred by an awful opening couple of episodes, but by the end it began wearing thin - I've heard bad things about Futari wa Milky Holmes, could someone clarify exactly why it isn't as well liked?

One thing's for sure: it's no Ojamajo Doremi.

cajunator

Banned
One of the first anime I ever saw was Kimi ga Nozomu Eien and they all had really weird spaces between their eyes back then too. I just didn't notice it because a lot of stuff was like that then.

One also might ask how one of the first anime I ever saw was Kimi ga Nozomu Eien and yet I still watch anime.

The world may never know.

wow. thats some kind of start!

My first anime (outside of Nickelodeon Sabanized anime) was stuff like Gunsmith Cats, Record of Lodoss War, Iria, Burn Up W, Master of Mosquiton, Plastic Little, Golden Boy...
a decent start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom