• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vito

Banned
New key visual http://natalie.mu/comic/gallery/show/news_id/148511/image_id/401805

tumblr_nozpe3zBla1sqqtwzo1_r1_1280.jpg

It is Tokyo Ghoul all over again.

Let's hope it's not full of Quality like Tokyo Ghoul especially season 2.

JC staff are alright however my expectations are low because of how busy they are with so many adaptions, plus they do shed some quality here and there.

My only thing with Prison School is that the source material is so far ahead and I absolutely don't see the anime getting near the point that it is at. I kinda don't wanna go all the way back again. I'll give it a shot, but I might end up dropping it

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It is the perfect time of the year to finally have us killed off, and the reason will be worth it, for drowning the thread with talks about big breasted women. The ironic judgment for all of us.

thread's survival is going to rely on everyone learning to exercise restraint. so basically, we're fucked.

Crocodile

The PV looks like it is camera footage of a video that was played on a screen. A bit off. However, looking at the staff list, it appears the anime apocalypse has been cancelled <3

Bring on Summer!

Just as a heads up, to those who are normally turned off by fanservice-heavy anime, I understand your position. However, Prison School is legit hilarious. There are boobs and butts but the manga is far more that just a medium to peddle T&A or just a teenage boy fantasy but actually has a heart and soul. Some of the funniest stuff I've read in ages. Give it a chance. (I'm of course assuming the anime can capture everything/as much as possible that makes the manga good)

I guess we're never getting the GuP movie at this rate.

And nothing of value was lost.........

Nah I'm sure for fans of that it will turn out fine in the end

javac

Another six episodes gone, just like that. Time flies when you&#8217;re having fun, and those 2 and a half hours were just as incredible as the first 6 episodes. The emotions run high in this show, and my love for this series hasn&#8217;t waned in the slightest.
A lot happened. Episode 7 sees the two boys, Romeo and Alfredo being sold to two men, and thus split up as they begin their lives as chimney sweepers. But as always, their friendship continues as they make a pact with one another, that they&#8217;ll always remember each other and one day return to each other. We see Romeo move into his new home, with a cell for a room and no food, his optimism fades. While trying to get some sleep however, he hears the voice of what he can only describe as an angel. Who is that girl?
Episode 8 seems Romeos first day on the job, as he tries to conjure up some vigor and oomph in his stride, as he remembers what his friend told him, always be positive and most importantly, keep your spirits up. Like the previous episodes, this episode elicits all sorts of emotions. Some parts are lighthearted, while others sad. The way in which the chimney sweeping is depicted almost made it hard for even me to breathe as the soot fills Romeos lungs. It&#8217;s a tough day, but while trying to get some sleep, he finds a gift nestled in his room. Did that girl leave it for him?
Episode 9 is a beautiful one. While cleaning the chimney of a professor, he shows his gratitude by gifting young Romeo with a picture book. Romeo, embarrassed admits that he can&#8217;t read, and the professor gives him his first lesson. &#8220;mi chiamo Romeo&#8221; My name is Romeo.
Another gift awaits Romeo when he gets home, with a letter inside the box as well as some food. Romeo, forbidden to see girl who hasn&#8217;t left her room, decided to write his first letter, to her, his love letter. Most of the letter he receives flies over his head, but he recognizes one line at the very end. Come ti chiamo? &#8220;Mi chiamo Romeo&#8221;. Slipping the letter under her door, her light turns on as it shines underneath the door, with the girl promptly sliding under another letter to him. Of course he can&#8217;t read it so he asks the professor the next morning to read it to him. The first letter speaks of how she&#8217;s been watching him in the garden from her window ever since he arrived, and that she wishes to speak to him. The second letter reads &#8220;Tomorrow when everyone is sleeping, I will signal you with my music box. Please pay me a visit.&#8221; The end of the episode sees Romeo enter her room as he&#8217;s struck by her beauty, the girl he calls angel.
In episode 10, the girl, who we find out is called Angeletta, is a girl who&#8217;s been bedridden for years. She shows Romeo drawings that she&#8217;s done of him. Unable to see the vast blue sky from her room, she asks Romeo to sketch the open blue sky for her. Things go weary as her brother, the goody two shoes Anzelmo who is a part of a gang named the Wolf Pack, becomes aware of their relationship. As Romeo tries to sketch the sky, Anzelmo steals his book. Everything works out in the end as Romeo brings back something for Angeletta that reminds her of the blue sky.
Both episode 11 and 12 were hard to watch as Anzelmo is tasked by the gang leader to steal something cool. He finds out about the forbidden relationship between Romeo and his sister and pretends to become friends with Romeo, only to steal his love letter. The love letter in actuality is a page from Angeletta&#8217;s diary that she gave to Romeo by mistake. In the letter, she talks about how she&#8217;s worried about her brother and his lies. The gang, reading this letter are pissed about all of his lies and beat Anzelmo up into a bloody mess. He vows to seek revenge on Romeo.

Anzelmo frames Romeo as he&#8217;s beaten up outside of Angelette&#8217;s room, with her gasping for breath, clutching her chest as her condition worsens, using every ounce of will to try and save him. An amazing episode that was hard to watch and full of raw emotion that was palpable.
Overall 6 amazing episodes that have me clamoring for more. From the music to the animation, I find it hard to stop watching on.

wonzo

Banned
The designs seem fine to me and there's more than enough detail in the PV to capture the artistic spirit of the source material.

Man this was a let down of a show. Great visuals and music, but everything else I found to be mediocre or bad. I didn't think the fights weren't that great either TBH.

K is one of the ugliest shows ever made.

remz

The vice prez looks really weird in the anime preview. Like I know her body was usually exaggerated for emphasis but something about the anime design gives it a completely different vibe.

I'm not sure If I'll check out the show, I really like the manga though.

ibyea

Banned
Man... I wonder if KyoAni
will change the person she falls for. According to 4chan, the novels say Kumiko eventually realizes she loved Shuichi all along and that all this love talk isn't what it appears to be with Reina

Wait, seriously?
So all that chemistry is all pointless BS? BOOOOOOOoooooooooo!!!

Prison School anime by Tsutomu Mizushima (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) according to the livestream!

Also main cast confirmed!

Hiroshi Kamiya - Kiyoshi
Katsuyuki Konishi - Gakuto
Suzumura Kenichi - Shingo
Namikawa Daisuke - Joe
Kazuyuki Okitsu - Andre

Mari - Sayaka Ohara
Meiko - Shizuka Ito
Hana - Kana Hanazawa

The VP's breasts, I'm dying of laughter. She is literally just some kind of Bayonetta fetish monstrosity now. And Hana as Hana? Perfect.

I'm looking forward to the tons of people who are unable to enjoy themselves dumping on it! I am greatly looking forward to this, I hope it's not misplaced.

So is Prison School going to get an OT?

I was going to make one, but after figuregate probably not. Then again the Soma OP is pretty much dead and no one cares about it.

ibyea

Banned
The PV looks like it is camera footage of a video that was played on a screen. A bit off. However, looking at the staff list, it appears the anime apocalypse has been cancelled <3

Bring on Summer!

Just as a heads up, to those who are normally turned off by fanservice-heavy anime, I understand your position. However, Prison School is legit hilarious. There are boobs and butts but the manga is far more that just a medium to peddle T&A or just a teenage boy fantasy but actually has a heart and soul. Some of the funniest stuff I've read in ages. Give it a chance. (I'm of course assuming the anime can capture everything/as much as possible that makes the manga good)

I don't know man. It started out with the worst possible first impression it could have. While I do believe you about it having a soul, I think it's impossible to sell this one to me.

Literally everything in Prison School is there for a scenario or a joke to be pulled off, to great effect.

It's probably the greatest raunchy comedy I've ever experienced. Which isn't very hard because a lot of them are bad except for Animal House or something, but it's a top tier comedy with amazing set ups and scenarios. I would have no qualms calling it one of my favorite manga of all time, I can only hope the anime delivers the enjoyment at least to some degree.

I don't know man. It started out with the worst possible first impression it could have. While I do believe you about it having a soul, I think it's impossible to sell this one to me.

Just read the manga it has a lot of soul, the anime will have a 50/50 chance of turning out to be shit or good.

Anko

Eupho 8 (part 2 because now I need to overanalyse)
Looking at the locker scene, Reina more or less made Kumiko go with her to the festival. The way she just walks off without giving Kumiko a chance to say otherwise lol. There's no way Reina didn't notice that Kumiko was using her as an excuse to turn Tsukamoto down.

I also noticed that Reina went on naturally to call Kumiko by name (without honorifics, no less) instead of "Oumae-san" as they hiked.

Two people who call each other by their family names -> End up going to a festival together -> Do some silly thing on a whim like go hiking in high heels with their instruments in tow -> Start addressing each other by name without honorifics -> Play a duet of a love song together in a romantic spot overlooking the city, under the starry sky

They sure closed that distance quickly.

Those lyrics to that song...
The first verse goes something like
Hey, who do you want to see right now?
Hey, who do you love right now?
I keep hoping for that someone to be me
There's no way they chose that without knowing it had those lyrics... right?

Prison School: Just read the manga

We haven't even gotten the first episode yet. Everything looks fine to me, not sure how much I really care about animation quality yet as the jokes will probably carry themselves.

Although matching the quality of the manga art wise and just the general flow of scenarios is frankly impossible.

Depends on how censored it'll be, which will probably be a lot

Isn't it airing on ATX?

jgminto

We haven't even gotten the first episode yet. Everything looks fine to me, not sure how much I really care about animation quality yet as the jokes will probably carry themselves.

Although matching the quality of the manga art wise and just the general flow of scenarios is frankly impossible.

They're not going to get to the real good stuff in the first season anyway.

They're not going to get to the real good stuff in the first season anyway.

That's true. I haven't read it in a while, but the first arc is still enjoyable and funny, although most of my favorite moments are later.

Really I'm just excited one of my favorite series could possibly have an adaptation with any merit at all. Before this stuff my expectations were pretty low on it being much of anything.

Sound Euphonium 08

For all the hype this episode got I'm still not feeling it. Probably because I don't care about any of the characters and I'm more interested in the music and band aspect of the series.

jgminto

That's true. I haven't read it in a while, but the first arc is still enjoyable and funny, although most of my favorite moments are later.

I'd say it's at the
big jailbreak to stop their expulsion
where the manga hits its prime. Maybe they'd reach that at the end of a 24 episode season but I think that might cause pacing issues.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
About the issue of "expectations", I expect Prison School to serve as a supplement to its source material in the same vein as Aku no Hana; not a replacement or a definitive version, just someone's alternate vision that also succeeds on its own terms. It's in good hands and will emphasize whatever aspects of the original best translate to the animated medium.

Sound Euphonium 08

For all the hype this episode got I'm still not feeling it. Probably because I don't care about any of the characters and I'm more interested in the music and band aspect of the series.

I definitely don't enjoy it as much as some people but it's still the best show this season outside of JoJo imo.

I'd say it's at the
big jailbreak to stop their expulsion
where the manga hits its prime. Maybe they'd reach that at the end of a 24 episode season.

I think the first amazing scene is the Real Assmen one with the chairman. Everything after that is gold, Jerry

About the issue of "expectations", I expect Prison School to serve as a supplement to its source material in the same vein as Aku no Hana; not a replacement or a definitive version, just someone's alternate vision that also succeeds on its own terms. It's in good hands and will emphasize whatever aspects of the original best translate to the animated medium.

That will probably be a good way to look at it.

Crocodile

It's akin to a R rated American Comedy rather than something like "I Can't Believe My Big Sister Has Such Big Breasts" - The Animation or Monster Musume. As MetroidPrimeRib says its about these guys (and girls), the comradeire they share, the ridiculous situations they end up in and the way they navigate through them. The absurdity of the scenario is where the humor is found not "oh noes I tripped and now I'm grabbing your boob LOLOLOLOL" nonsense. All I can really suggest is that if you are at all curious is to give the manga a try. It's fine if the fanservice is just too much for your tastes but I will stand by this manga and will assert that it doesn't deserve to be put along the same sort of trash you probably think it is based on your first impressions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom