• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

javac

have you thought to join an anime club?

Outside of work, I don't even go outside these days so I guess it's less of a "nobody comes to see me" situation and more to do with me being incognito. Par for Course with me I guess. When I was at Uni I made some friends that we'd chat about some stuff here and there I guess. I mean...I guess my brother watches stuff and plays games.

cajunator

Banned
Outside of work, I don't even go outside these days so I guess it's less of a "nobody comes to see me" situation and more to do with me being incognito. Par for Course with me I guess. When I was at Uni I made some friends that we'd chat about some stuff here and there I guess. I mean...I guess my brother watches stuff and plays games.

what about coworkers?

Mandelbo

I remember making a few of my friends watch End of Evangelion with me. Despite the fact that neither had seen the series before, it convinced both that Eva was something worth watching :D

God I love EoE

Ace of Diamond Second Season Episode 8

Once again Kawakami FTW. And he got such a glorious scene with the sunlight. Loved that conclusion to the match.

Now if Eijun can get back to throwing to the inside.

Jarmel

Banned
Black Rock Shooter-5
6hqxyoW.jpg
This has to be an allegory on the mental health care system in Japan. This is the only way I can make sense out of any of this. Yomi's mother knows her child is mentally off her rocker.
Yomi is so far off the range, she can't even see the fence around the perimeter anymore. Yet instead of addressing this, she allows her daughter to go to school. I understand public perception is king in Japan but when your daughter is doing shit like this:
It might be uh time to give her some home-schooling. And don't tell me Yomi's family can't afford it when they live up in that huge mansion. We then have psychologists/counselors giving students neck massages in their spare time.
Looks so relaxing. I feel like most of the issues in the show could possibly be talked through and addressed.
Hey, Mato feels the same as me. Yay! So we're going over to Yomi's house to have a proper chit-chat about friendship!
So this episode directly address the fantasy world of BRS and I'm finding the answer provided here to be unsatisfactory. While it's an extension of groundwork laid in the OVA, I think there's a big key difference here. In the OVA, there is the implication that the darkness in Yomi's heart was possessed by a creature turning her into Dead Master. The resulting fallout thus wasn't all Yomi's fault and as a consequence, keeps her somewhat likable as a character. Here however Dead Master is the alter ego of Yomi and so carries the burdens of Yomi. Dead Master existing is all real life Yomi's fault for being a crazy bitch.
I don't understand how killing your alter-ego somehow lifts the burden from you as instead all the emotions should shift to one party. It also doesn't make sense in that what happens if a person develops sorrow/mental issues after their alter-ego has already been killed? Does a clone pop up that needs to be struck down too? If everybody has an alter-ego then why is the other world so dead?

Anyway so the fight scenes for this episode and the upcoming one were done by Akira Amemiya, also of Trigger fame. Back when he did real work. You might be familiar with him for his directorial work on Inferno Cop and currently airing Ninja Slayer. He's also from the Kanada school of animation, as is most action animators nowadays, however he's much more extreme in the style such as exaggeration of keyframes.
http://a.pomf.se/mrztyk.webm
Oh hey I'm watching Age of Ultron again.
I don't think his storyboarding is as exciting in this show as some of the stuff Imaishi has done, partially because he doesn't shift the camera very much in as dynamic of a fashion. In addition the actual premise for the intro fight is fairly bland despite some cool moments.

cajunator

Banned
I actually just met up again with some old friends who still live in town and I can watch anime with them.
So now I have potentially three people to watch with, not including roommates.

Cornbread78

f9FNsZT.gif

That's alright, I always watch alone, but a few of the younger guys I work with at my second job watch anime, so we discuss it. I made them all watch the above episode this week, lol

Puruzi

Banned
Whenever any of my friends tell me they're starting an anime I like or one that I've been planning to watch, I'm over there and we marathon that shit. It's fun.

cajunator

Banned
Whenever any of my friends tell me they're starting an anime I like or one that I've been planning to watch, I'm over there and we marathon that shit. It's fun.

I know. Its the best.
I watched Madoka Magica with a friend and he knew almost nothing about it. I watched the whole GAF specula thing play out in real time. He went through all the emotions and by the end of it he even made a youtube review praising the show to the sky.

ibyea

Banned
Hibike Euphonium 6
They made an episode about playing the tuba that's kind of touching. They are right, the tuba by itself is not very significant sounding, but it adds so much when together with all the other instruments.

Puruzi

Banned
I know. Its the best.
I watched Madoka Magica with a friend and he knew almost nothing about it. I watched the whole GAF specula thing play out in real time. He went through all the emotions and by the end of it he even made a youtube review praising the show to the sky.
Yeah I've watched Madoka with 5 different people so far. It's soooo good watching it with someone who thinks it's a generic moeblob show

My Love Story 8:
I busted out laughing so hard at that part time job. It was just amazing.

And then just a few minutes later the show was tugging at my heart strings.
I feel bad for Suna with the situation that his dad is in. I hope that he can pull through. Suna is also really showing what a great guy he is.

I have some buddies I watch shit with sometimes, most of the time we just play games though.

There is an anime club on my campus but the first time I went there they watched the FSN episode that starts with Ilya bathing and it was awkwwwaaarddd

cajunator

Banned
I have some buddies I watch shit with sometimes, most of the time we just play games though.

There is an anime club on my campus but the first time I went there they watched the FSN episode that starts with Ilya bathing and it was awkwwwaaarddd

One of the most fun things to do is MST3K'ing bad anime. Like stuff from the LIST.

Most of the shows of the season I watch with my younger brother, and sometimes I make him watch something older by proxy, I wait when hes home and watch on the TV...I made him watch Wolf Children like this( I wish there was a brazilian portuguese dub to watch it with my mother) and I watched The Wind Rises with my mom and older brother. And friends like to watch together when they come over or sugest something to watch.
It's very fun watching anime with people.

Wish Upon the Pleiades 08

We don't really know that much about Nanako herself. She's been the mouthpiece for the Pleiadean for so long that her true self has never really shown. And her true self is... melancholy. Withdrawn. Untrusting. I don't think Planet Apate really exists, but then again, Melancholia didn't either. Authors can do things like invent a planet out of thin air if it fits the theme the story is going for. The science with light speed travel and time dilation was also pretty spot-on, even if there was magic involved. I've mentioned it before, but I simply love the visuals of flying through space on this show. It has a beautiful serenity to it on a grander scale than any other show this season. Wish more people were checking it out.

I'm checking it out but I don't post because I'm lazy...and I like reading others impressions better. This week episode was nice it left me Po-warm!
So NeoGainax still like sci-fi, like good old Gainax. Nerds!

Phatmac

I liked watching Toonami stuff with my older brother when we were growing up. I think he still watches Naruto but I gave up a long time ago.

people watch anime with others in person?

I watch a lot with my little brother. Used to watch with my friends all the time in high school but we dont see each other as much anymore :(

Its especially awesome when he watches a show I watched and seeing his reactions to important scenes. He had some amazing reactions to Shin Sekai Yori and the last two Punchline episodes.

Jintor

I watched most of Serial Experiments Lain with a friend while tripping out on... substances

I went to anime club a bunch but anime viewing parties are possibly the worst thing to do. Meet new people -> sit in a room in silence and stare at something else, don't have any discussion afterwards because people need to get to class. Great idea!

It's where I saw SAO for the first time and determined that my tastes it turns out do not match a lot of other people's necessarily

Ore Monogatari - 08

This just ain't the show for me. Some of the jokes work well thanks to the visuals, like the café job or the kissing practice, but other than that, it's got nothing going for me. I just don't care a lick about the three protagonists and the really repetitive nature of this show.

Yamato is almost purely defined as an overly cute and cautious girl baking sweets.
Takeo is the slightly goofy, goodhearted and massively build hero.
Suna is...something. He's apparently the personification of a 'bro', unfortunately that alone doesn't exactly make for good characterization. To be fair though, this episode there was at least some development of his towards the end—just not enough for me at this point.

I cannot take another minute of Takeo and Yamato meeting up so he can stuff himself full of baked goods. I don't need to be told or shown a million times that Takeo is someone that makes Suna genuinely laugh, Every episode all three characters go through the same realization of just how great the others are. I'm probably supposed to laugh at the incessant torrent of funny Takeo expressions and 'awwh' at how cute the couple is and how often they blush!

This all grew stale so quickly and...where's the meat of this show? Is that all I'm gonna get with this stupid relationship? Talking about baked goods for 2-3 minutes as if anyone cares? The level of writing is rather low in general. I'd commend the attempt to give Suna some more personality and background, but the delivery felt rather forced. 15th June... oh no. Look at that unfortunate coincidence. Of course that's nothing compared to Takeo literally rescuing people out of a burning building to demonstrate his goodness.

Gunbuster 05

Some references in Takaya's room. I can see the inspiration taken from Yamato in this episode.

Again this episode demonstrates some great character writing. While Takaya is on Earth she meets up with her old classmate Kimiko. Due to space travel, time has progressed much faster for Kimiko than Takaya. Kimiko has aged several years, is married and has a child. Time is relative and Takaya has only experienced a few months apart from Kimiko yet her maturity is on the same level as the much older Kimiko.

On the tram ride down to the mission launch Amano attempts to keep face. The words coming out of her mouth completely contradict what she feels inside and it shows in her facial expressions. She breaks down at the worst possible moment but Takaya is there to bring her back to reality. The role reversal of Takaya and Amano's relationship in the moment of crisis enforces Takaya's growth.

After that moment of weakness, cue the cheesy music and super robo yelling. It's campy, silly and over the top. Amano remains the calm, analytical pilot while Takaya shouts her attacks into the void of space. I guess it works for their characters but I don't think the contrast between the previous mental breakdown and the yelling works on a thematic level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom