• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
See, that is actually a problem with this show since it decided to make those artistic choices for the service of the show or whatever and it may turn people off to the program. Also, here is something to keep in mind, I have never sen this, this was my first impression and it made a terrible one, terrible enough for a instant write off. I didn't know it was going to be toned down, how would I know?

I'll agree, but there really is a lot more to the series. It doesn't help that animating the scenes already makes it worse than the manga ever was

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I'll agree, but there really is a lot more to the series. It doesn't help that animating the scenes already makes it worse than the manga ever was

It had its chance, maybe I pick it up later, but the season is young and many more titles wait in the wings.

Seeing how some people are having a hard time with Shokugeki no Soma. I really don't want to know how people will react towards Prison School.

It's a 99% chance that some won't be able to handle it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Seeing how some people are having trouble with Shokugeki no Soma. I really don't want to know how people will react towards Prison School.

It's a 99% chance that some won't be able to handle it.

Prison School is probably going to be edited to hell.

Quasar

dungeon 01

So are they playing an MMO and haven't revealed that yet or is this just one of those world's that functions like a video game for no reason?

The latter it seems like, which was surprising to me as I expected the former. I didn't dislike it, just that with such a busy season it will be probably hard for me to stick around beyond 3.

Stardust Crusaders 37

This episode was bad, Hol Horse was completely wasted on a comedy episode. His stand was far too cool to be wasted with a boingo brother.

zulux21

dungeon 1
it's like you crossed Beet the Vandel Buster with machine doll and I am ok with this, I am curious to see where it goes.

Soma 1
I forgot how poorly done some of these things were early on, especially when it came to the conflict in the episode. Thankfully the conflict gets a lot better written later to the point that most people who continue on will likely forget that anything before the last 5 minutes of this episode even existed.

Narag

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders 37
ZvlYrLMl.jpg

No wonder animegaf loves Hol Horse, he lives by the same creed as the rest of us.

I know not all simulcast are announced yet, but just looking at what Crunchy has gotten so far compared to what Funi has it's a complete domination Funimation got damn near everything I was interested in.

The fact those standard edition blu rays for SAO S1 are still $60 for 6-7 episodes is a god damn travesty. I just ordered Space Dandy S1 on blu ray for $35 and got basically double the episodes.

zulux21

I know not all simulcast are announced yet, but just looking at what Crunchy has gotten so far compared to what Funi has it's a complete domination Funimation got damn near everything I was interested in.

and don't forget funimation can still steal shows from CR. It happened last season (or two seasons ago... can't remember I mostly skipped last season) where one or two shows started off on CR and then CR lost NA rights because funimation picked it up and thus CR only had rights for outside of NA. I believe Yona was one of them.

and don't forget funimation can still steal shows from CR. It happened last season (or two seasons ago... can't remember I mostly skipped last season) where one or two shows started off on CR and then CR lost NA rights because funimation picked it up and thus CR only had rights for outside of NA. I believe Yona was one of them.

CR still has full rights to air Yona of the Dawn and Attack on Titan, the later of which was taken off temporarily when Titan was premiering on Toonami.

Quasar

Its interesting. For me this season seems a return to form for CR, where last season Funi seemed to get everything.

At least so far.

The fact those standard edition blu rays for SAO S1 are still $60 for 6-7 episodes is a god damn travesty. I just ordered Space Dandy S1 on blu ray for $35 and got basically double the episodes.

You're also paying more to the production of the show for SAO than Dandy. For SAO, you're paying Aniplex's branch which paid Aniplex of Japan more than Funimation paid Bandai Visual for Dandy. Basically you gave $18 to Funimation to dub the show and toss a dollar or two to Bandai due to how licensing goes. Conversely, a buyer buying SAO pays more, but allows Aniplex to pay more to their parent company thus allowing Aniplex of Japan to make more as they're earning more from the series.

CR still has full rights to air Yona of the Dawn and Attack on Titan, the later of which was taken off temporarily when Titan was premiering on Toonami.

Crunchy also worked out a deal with Funimation/Kodansha where they licensed it again from Funimation, the only title on there from them.

You're also paying more to the production of the show for SAO than Dandy. For SAO, you're paying Aniplex's branch which paid Aniplex of Japan more than Funimation paid Bandai Visual for Dandy. Basically you gave $18 to Funimation to dub the show and toss a dollar or two to Bandai due to how licensing goes. Conversely, a buyer buying SAO pays more, but allows Aniplex to pay more to their parent company thus allowing Aniplex of Japan to make more as they're earning more from the series.

Crunchy also worked out a deal with Funimation/Kodansha where they licensed it again from Funimation, the only title on there from them.

One Piece? (It's not kodansha, but it is funimation)

zulux21

ah, so they do. I could have sworn they lost the rights, maybe it was just a temp thing.

either way I hope that funimation picks up soma. I want to be able to buy it in english some day :(

Yowamushi Pedal Grande Road End

Major problem of the anime was that anyone I liked just couldnt be treated in a competent or entertaining manner. Characters that ought to be the ace, the type of characters that I love, were just terribly done.
iMYzumi should have been the one to cross the line, not Onoda, Manami ought to have won, not Onoda, Worst yet was giving my ace characters broken bikes or some other weird issues (Manami being in a higher gear than necessary when he could have won in a lower one),

Anyway it was a fun season at times, the end of episode scenes were often hilarious (Manami and Onoda shopping was really good and his hair thingy, lol), and I loved the one with Sugimoto. Sugimoto is so underrated.

I will hope to explore the manga someday (maybe t2 gets love and hot shot can truly be a hot shot). I also want to see some of the other players, like braces kun (Mizuta) best character on Kyoto Fushimi,

I guess on my sports anime rankings, itd be down there with New Prince of Tennis and Knight in the Area. 8/10.

MVP
CBjVy_DW4AArmuM.jpg

Soma 1

I'm surprised they kept the foodgasms pretty much intact. They're even more hilarious than in the manga thanks to the VA. Keep up the good work.

Also if people are "NOPEing" to the mild stuff in Soma I can't wait until Prison School airs. (Please be good!)

Death Parade 7 Dub

This show is very weird, one scene will be very well written and thought provoking, the next poorly written and clumsy betraying the internal logic of the series. This episode seems to be the highlight of this fact

The episode starts with old guy basically saying that "Arbiters can't have emotions for what does a doll need emotions for" and yet though this whole series Nona, Quin, and Ginti have shown a wide range of emotions from the second they first appeared on screen. Ginti in particular experiences anger, frustration, impatience, joy, and elation to name a few. The arbiter who's closes to not having any emotion is Decim... the character the series is trying to "give human emotions" in secret.

The next issue the series has is with the concept that arbiters dump the memories of their old guests so as to remain machine like in their judgements and the series goes out of it's way to establish how unlike humans arbiters are. Yet without any human emotion or idea of what it's like to be human they're suppose to judge people based upon their memories leading up to death and how they act in the various trials. How can an arbiter even gain experience doing their job if their memories of the people they judge get flushed away? What good is discovering the deepest parts of a human's personality if they don't have the emotional or human backing to understand what makes a decent human worthy of being reincarnated and what makes a bad human meant for the void?

Perhaps the show will answer some of these questions, and perhaps trying to find the answers is the point of the series, but that's not the way the series is presenting itself. When the way the characters are explained to act and the way they act are completely different it takes me out of the series. Death Parade should have just been a vignette show with no over arching plot outside of the general structure of two dead people come to quindecim, play game as they regain their memories of death, then get judged for it. Trying to have this meta plot really distracts from the series as it's generally the worst part.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
dungeon 1
it's like you crossed Beet the Vandel Buster with machine doll and I am ok with this, I am curious to see where it goes.

Yeah, they live in a world where the gods/goddess's came down to live in. They grant people in their familia gifts which allows them to level up their base stats, and also gain skills etc...

The anime seems to be moving at a fast pace so it should get captivating pretty fast.

cHinzo

OreGairu episode 1.
I missed this so bad. Hachiman is still the GOAT lead character with all his monologues. Also really liking Yukino, the secret tsundere. :D This season is already the best seaon in ages!

Death Parade 7 Dub

The episode starts with old guy basically saying that "Arbiters can't have emotions for what does a doll need emotions for" and yet though this whole series Nona, Quin, and Ginti have shown a wide range of emotions from the second they first appeared on screen. Ginti in particular experiences anger, frustration, impatience, joy, and elation to name a few. The arbiter who's closes to not having any emotion is Decim

For me at least I explained it away as there being a distinction between having a personality and being devoid of 'emotion' and while an explanation like that may not stand within the strictest of scrutiny it was enough for me. The "emotion" they refer to in the series is more in like ... a flawed sin based perspective. ie. the arbiters don't really feel anything with respect to envy or greed or any sort of lasting feeling rooted in love in the sense that a human would.

Funi announced a start date for Show By Rock's first episode - Sunday at 10 am ET - but no ETA for Yuki yet.

Wow, Funi got Show by Rock too? Killing it.

Quasar

OreGairu episode 1.
I missed this so bad. Hachiman is still the GOAT lead character with all his monologues. Also really liking Yukino, the secret tsundere. :D This season is already the best seaon in ages!

I so know my shipping heart will continued to be denied.

Thoraxes

Is It Wrong to Try and Pick Up Girls in a Dunegon - 01

Already way better than all the harems from last season by a long shot. All the girls are super cute (with good, attractive character design) so far, and the premise/world is neat.

tzT3tA5.png
DrjZjlP.png

0yC82he.png
hUJupr1.png

Well I've read how horrible this filler ending is and seen clips of it, but it's still technically in my Crunchyroll back log so I guess I better get it out of the way

Akame Ga Kill 21

The only thing this episode did decently was yank the good fight between Susanoo and Esdeath that was skipped over and put it here. Other then that the series handling of the whole execution segment is a mediocre sham even without comparing it to the manga, when you do it becomes just terrible. The final scene loses all it's emotion when Mine and Tatsumi's relationship arc was entirely skipped in the anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom