• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Westlo

show by rock.....
scust.png
why bones why.....
mjcry1.png

so bad i'm running to my backlog.

Isn't the source material of Kekkai Sensen supposed to be this super generic crap? Is this gonna be like one of those situations where the anime goes off on its own?

Arcadius

Banned
Uhm, hello everyone! I was told that I could come here to get some recommendations on anime to watch. I already have a couple recommended to me, but I would like to ask for more. I'd prefer watching anime that doesn't go over 50 episodes, as that's pretty long, and I'm looking for light hearted stories, coming of age or fun adventure stories. I'm not looking for gory action battle scenes and what-not. Hope you all can help me!!! =)

Sorry if this isn't the right way to request stuff.

Razmos

Highschool DxD Born episode 1: Absolute filth, I love it.

Is it just me or is the language in the show a bit more.. mean spirited than it was before? Within the first half you have Issei's friend calling glasses girl a bitch, then Issei calls her a c**t, then later on Issei calls Gasper a f****t.

Is that just the fansubs? because the sub I was watching was pretty damn terrible and made little sense at times and I wouldn't be surprised if they took some liberties with the dialogue.
It's not enough to turn me off the show, but damn it felt out of place, especially with Issei saying those things.

Also, could anyone recommend me a show like Yahari Ore No Seishun Love Come Wa Machigatteiru? I'm in the mood for that kind of anime right now.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Show by Rock 1

The music revolution we're been waiting for!

Death metal is cast away to the bargain bins where it belongs by the pure talent of our pop rock heroine's string based symphonies.

Uhm, hello everyone! I was told that I could come here to get some recommendations on anime to watch. I already have a couple recommended to me, but I would like to ask for more. I'd prefer watching anime that doesn't go over 50 episodes, as that's pretty long, and I'm looking for light hearted stories, coming of age or fun adventure stories. I'm not looking for gory action battle scenes and what-not. Hope you all can help me!!! =)

Acchi Kochi is one of the lightest comedies I've ever watched in anime, definitely watch that.

Also give a watch to this season's hidden gem, I Can't Understand What My Husband is Saying.

Also of course give a watch to Barakamon and Nozaki-kun. Two other favorites here in AnimeGAF from recent seasons. All of those are light hearted, amazing, and not too long.

Hugstable

Banned

Check out Steins;gate, it starts lighthearted, but it gets a bit crazy after awhile. Never gory action though. Also maybe Watch Girls Und Panzar, it's light hearted warfare with cute girls in tanks!

Also Gekkan-Shoujo Nozaki-kun is the best and fits perfect with what you want. It also contains the greatest character ever, Chiyo Sakura!

Clov

You might enjoy some slice of life stuff if you want something cute and relaxing. Personally I'd recommend Lucky Star, Minami-ke, the four seasons of Hidamari Sketch, and both seasons of K-ON. You may also like Tamako Market, Non Non Biyori, and Kiniro Mosaic.

Not entirely sure if this qualifies as an "adventure" story, but I also feel like recommending the film Porco Rosso. It's a Miyazaki film about a pilot who has the head of a pig. Sounds a bit strange, but it's actually really great! One of my favorites by him. I have it on the mind right now since I got the BD recently, and I think more people ought to give it a watch.

Arcadius

Banned
Check out Steins;gate, it starts lighthearted, but it gets a bit crazy after awhile. Never gory action though. Also maybe Watch Girls Und Panzar, it's light hearted warfare with cute girls in tanks!

Thanks for this, I like the look of Watch Girls Und Panzar, will check it out, that looks like what I'm looking for. I will keep the Steins;Gate recommendation in my mind, but not exactly that.

Acchi Kochi is one of the lightest comedies I've ever watched in anime, definitely watch that.

Also give a watch to this season's hidden gem, I Can't Understand What My Husband is Saying.

Also of course give a watch to Barakamon and Nozaki-kun. Two other favorites here in AnimeGAF from recent seasons. All of those are light hearted, amazing, and not too long.

Acchi Kochi looks like something I will enjoy, thanks. I Can' Understand What My Husband is Saying looks like a funny one, will probably watch this too, thank you. Barakamon looks good.. ahh all the recommendations are good, thank you all so much.

You might enjoy some slice of life stuff if you want something cute and relaxing. Personally I'd recommend Lucky Star, Minami-ke, the four seasons of Hidamari Sketch, and both seasons of K-ON. You may also like Tamako Market, Non Non Biyori, and Kiniro Mosaic.

Not entirely sure if this qualifies as an "adventure" story, but I also feel like recommending the film Porco Rosso. It's a Miyazaki film about a pilot who has the head of a pig. Sounds a bit strange, but it's actually really great! One of my favorites by him. I have it on the mind right now since I got the BD recently, and I think more people ought to give it a watch.

Slice of life!! That's the term I was trying to find, yes, I would like to watch slice of life anime. Thanks for the recommendations! I've seen all Studio Ghibli films, a few of which are definitely slice of life, I've also seen Wolf Children. Thanks a bunch you guys!

Hugstable

Banned
Thanks for this, I like the look of Watch Girls Und Panzar, will check it out, that looks like what I'm looking for. I will keep the Steins;Gate recommendation in my mind, but not exactly that.

Acchi Kochi looks like something I will enjoy, thanks. I Can' Understand What My Husband is Saying looks like a funny one, will probably watch this too, thank you. Barakamon looks good.. ahh all the recommendations are good, thank you all so much.

After Girls Und Panzar also check out the recommendations above you for both Lucky Star and K-On, both are pretty good and seem to be what you are looking for.

ALSO NOZAKI-KUUUUUN lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
But I live in America.

Even here in the US the official sub-title is Shokugeki no Soma.

Food Wars is a shitty title that they came up with because they were too lazy to come up with something more clever than a short summary of what happens in the show. It's like if the official US title for Shirobako was "Cute Girls Make Anime."

Reknoc

Please be excited for next week.

Ohhh, I thought this thing looked familiar and it was bugging me for a while (or like, 5mins but that's still too long). I downloaded the mobile game while I was browsing the japanese appstore for garbage F2P rhythm games. Cool style, seemed pretty bad though.

Razmos

Have you seen Hyouka?
Nope, I just googled it and that sounds like the exact kind of thing i'm looking for.

Not sure why i'm so drawn to shows where the main characters are part of a school club and interact as club members. They just work so well.

Thanks!

Narag

Ohhh, I thought this thing looked familiar and it was bugging me for a while (or like, 5mins but that's still too long). I downloaded the mobile game while I was browsing the japanese appstore for garbage F2P rhythm games. Cool style, seemed pretty bad though.

Cyan was playing one and earned a high score before being summoned to right the world as a goth catgirl. Sounds like you dodged a bullet.

Midonin

Hello! Kin-iro Mosaic 01

Two Manga Time series in the same season? It's like a dream come true. The amount of English is the same as it ever was - mostly a refresher course on the characters and some backstory as to where Shino's Anglophile tendencies came from. Feels like it never left, though now I can't unhear Kongou whenever Karen speaks. Her two "She's right behind me, isn't she?" moments were cute. Still in top form, and this should provide a nice counterbalance to whatever Grisaia gets up to in the coming Sundays. I like the OP as well, though I don't think this season's ED is a cover of any particular song.

jbug617

Banned
Baby Steps S2 1

Really like that they kept the same OP song for this season.

In the episode it's the beginning of Ei-chan training overseas. I found it weird that all the characters he meet speaks in Japanese but other than that off to a great start.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Is Azumanga Daioh still considered a good first SoL (as it was for many when back in the day) to recommend or has it been considered surpassed by newer shows?

Link Man

Banned
Hello!! KINMOZA 1

It's back, and just as great as ever! Instant happiness!

WATCH KINMOZA!

Looking through the thread about the person who misses HolyBaikal, currently 5 pages in. Is recommending School Days a bannable offence now?

Arcadius

Banned
Hello!! KINMOZA 1

It's back, and just as great as ever! Instant happiness!

WATCH KINMOZA!

I just saw you post and I googled it, looks very much into what I want to watch, thank you.

Looking through the thread about the person who misses HolyBaikal, currently 5 pages in. Is recommending School Days a bannable offence now?

I believe some users were banned for bringing it up, I'm not sure why. I'm a little scared to google it. PM I guess?

Mushishi 25

I just want to highlight how well this scene was done. Amane was born without sight yet one day during a walk through the forest she suddenly can see the flowers in front of her. The reflection of the environment in her eyes at that moment she gains the ability to see is so subtle yet sells that scene so well and gives it that raw emotional mix of amazement and anxiety.
One of the highlight episodes of this season. From the moment Amane gains sight she has to rediscover her world through a beautiful montage of her father describing the colors of the sky to the birds in the air. With this gift of sight comes the curse of time. The conclusion
of losing her sight once again
could only be seen as weight being lifted. This episode also gives another small hint at Ginko's past. Despite its brevity it's always welcome to witness what shaped Ginko into what he is today.

Is Azumanga Daioh still considered a good first SoL (as it was for many when back in the day) to recommend or has it been considered surpassed by newer shows?

Yes. Even with the abundance of SoL shows in the past half decade, I would consider Azumanga to be among the best even still.

Arcadius

Banned
Mushishi 25

I just want to highlight how well this scene was done. Amane was born without sight yet one day during a walk through the forest she suddenly can see the flowers in front of her. The reflection of the environment in her eyes at that moment she gains the ability to see is so subtle yet sells that scene so well and gives it that raw emotional mix of amazement and anxiety.

One of the highlight episodes of this season. From the moment Amane gains sight she has to rediscover her world through a beautiful montage of her father describing the colors of the sky to the birds in the air. With this gift of sight comes the curse of time. The conclusion
of losing her sight once again
could only be seen as weight being lifted. This episode also gives another small hint at Ginko's past. Despite its brevity it's always welcome to witness what shaped Ginko into what he is today.

Oooh, I watched this one a while ago. Don't know if they made more episodes from when I last watched it, but I really enjoyed it.

Clov

It's definitely still worth recommending! I actually had forgotten about it, but it's still worth watching for people who want to find good SoL anime.

Edit: If you've watched the first season of Mushishi, there's actually a second season that was released recently. Definitely watch it, it's great.

It's still one of the best and set the (or at least a very good) standard for SoL graduation episodes.

Edit: y'all fucked up in not recommending Arcadius Aria and Sora no Woto.

Midonin

Took a look at the production companies on Nanoha Vivid, and saw who licensed Dog Days to CR - Aniplex. The only problem is that Aniplex US already announced all the series they're streaming for this season (F/SN, Plastic Memories, Nisekoi:, Gunslinger), and Nanoha Vivid is not among them - for understandable reasons, being a spinoff of a franchise that never got off the ground in America.

So that makes it look extremely unlikely that it'll ever be simulcast, but I'll keep a faint bit of hope.

Link Man

Banned
Took a look at the production companies on Nanoha Vivid, and saw who licensed Dog Days to CR - Aniplex. The only problem is that Aniplex US already announced all the series they're streaming for this season (F/SN, Plastic Memories, Nisekoi:, Gunslinger), and Nanoha Vivid is not among them - for understandable reasons, being a spinoff of a franchise that never got off the ground in America.

So that makes it look extremely unlikely that it'll ever be simulcast, but I'll keep a faint bit of hope.

So we have Aniplex to blame for no Dog Days last season? :T

Clov

Isn't Kadokawa also on the committee? While their stuff has been simulcast before, maybe this could be an Amagi Brilliant Park situation.

Oooh, I watched this one a while ago. Don't know if they made more episodes from when I last watched it, but I really enjoyed it.

I'm currently on the first season but there is a second season on Crunchyroll! I've read it's more of the same but that seems perfectly fine to me.

Kekkai Sensen 01

You had my curiosity but now you have my attention. Strong first episode. So we have a wimpy lead character who wants to become stronger for an end game goal, and the stronger for now teammates. I'm gonna guess at one point that Protagonist is going to be in the middle of a fight where all of his teammates are down and he gains a new power out of anger. Because shonen.

Midonin

Isn't Kadokawa also on the committee? While their stuff has been simulcast before, maybe this could be an Amagi Brilliant Park situation.
Don't see Kadokawa listed. King Records (Star Child), A-1 Pictures, Aniplex, Seven Arcs... and that's it.

cajunator

Banned
SHOW BY ROCK 01

ANIME OF THE DAY
ANIME OF THE WEEK
ANIME OF THE MONTH
ANIME OF THE YEAR
ANIME OF THE DECADE
ANIME OF THE CENTURY
ANIME OF THE MILLENNIUM
ANIME OF THE FOREVER

THEY SHOULD HAVE SENT A POET