• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
SHOW BY ROCK 01

ANIME OF THE DAY
ANIME OF THE WEEK
ANIME OF THE MONTH
ANIME OF THE YEAR
ANIME OF THE DECADE
ANIME OF THE CENTURY
ANIME OF THE MILLENNIUM
ANIME OF THE FOREVER

THEY SHOULD HAVE SENT A POET
THEY SHOULD HAVE SENT A POET
Ok thanks for the reminder

will watch

Seeing all of these people enjoying that cat girl show and all I can think of

As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
I take a look at my life and realize there's nothin but moe left

Baby Steps 2 1:
CB2pre2UIAARnou.png

Yeah, this is more Baby Steps alright. The debut of the second season doesn't miss a beat, continuing on from the momentum the first season had, and putting Eichiro in a new setting that can bring out some new abilities of his. I continue to really like the authentic and technical take the series has on the sport, and I really enjoyed seeing them show all of the ways the academy helps to develop players, showing things like using video to let players analyze their strokes and form later on, the heavily controlled dieting, and more. Compared to most other sports manga and anime, this series feels much more authentic in the way it examines the sort of training needed for a player to reach a high level.

This is one show from this season that I have pretty much no worries about. I know what I can expect week in and week out.

Andrew J.

Show By Rock!! - Episode 1

What... is... this... This is like a Fusion Error in a SMT game when you try to fuse Cajun, Sabre, Narag, and duckroll. I thought the CG was really good, and going for the nendo look worked really well for what they wanted. But... I have no idea what sort of show it wants to be or what the hook is other than "cute expressions" + "catgirl guitarist" + "music battles" + "virtual music world". This is the strangest music anime I've seen since AKB0048. :p

That seems like plenty of things to me.

/XX/

Yay cars!
Car on left has the back of a bugatti Veyron. Car on the right side is a Renault Gordini.
Heh, it may even be the Spanish Renault 8 TS, given the way they've drawn the unique to that version elongated straight bumper of it (could also be QUALITY on their part too).

The speculah for Sora No Woto was great inasmuch as it was something where you could go deep, but the show did nothing to explain anything. For science fiction, there is surprisingly very little exposition - you just learn about the world as the characters live their lives or gain new information, but it leaves you a lot of room to fill in the gaps if you wanted to do so.
Yeah, 4Chan's /a/ passion was the result of a "perfect storm" mix; the vaguely expressed importance of the setting with scattered hints waiting to be analysed and this coming in the wake of the insatiable Strike Witches massive general threads (ripe of militarisms and historical moments to pseudo-discuss) from where much of the /a/nons jumped right into in need of a fix.

Oh it stays that way throughout? I was actually concerned I'd get buried under an infodump later.
Yep, little customs of the inhabitants will get you through most of the world-building (some explicit confirmation of certain events hinted didn't come until the later OVA episode even!). It is much more like some characters experience foremost, living in times they didn't have a hand at (remains of a mere consequence), but endure in the most humane way possible after all (and that's the beauty of it).

Sterok

Fate/Zero 11

Rider seems to really hate fighting. For all his bluster he's done a pretty good job of avoiding conflict. A dialogue of kings. It would be nice if all the Servants just gathered around for a nice drink. 3 different ideals of what it is to be a king. Archer deems one to be above his subjects. Saber believes he fights for his people. Rider thinks they should be larger than life. He sure is the most charismatic of the lot. Seems like he's more dangerous than I first thought. Assassin is really just a punching bag at this point. Archer does have his own way of showing respect.

cajunator

Banned
Heh, it may even be the Spanish Renault 8 TS, given the way they've drawn the unique to that version elongated straight bumper of it (could also be QUALITY on their part too).

Yeah, 4Chan's /a/ passion was the result of a a perfect storm mix; the vague importance of the setting with scattered hints waiting to be analysed and this coming in the wake of the insatiable Strike Witches massive general threads (ripe of militarisms and historical moments to discuss) from where much of the /a/nons jumped right into in need of a fix.

Yep, little customs of the inhabitants will get you through most of the world-building (some explicit confirmation of certain events hinted didn't come until the later OVA episode even!). It is much more like some characters experience foremost, living in times they didn't have a hand at (remains of a mere consequence), but endure in the most humane way possible after all (that's the beauty of it).

Great eye! It could be that version!
I wish anime threw more random cars into shows. Its fun identifying them. I think one show even has a Mitsuoka Orochi in it.

Show By Rock!! - Episode 1

What... is... this... This is like a Fusion Error in a SMT game when you try to fuse Cajun, Sabre, Narag, and duckroll. I thought the CG was really good, and going for the nendo look worked really well for what they wanted. But... I have no idea what sort of show it wants to be or what the hook is other than "cute expressions" + "catgirl guitarist" + "music battles" + "virtual music world". This is the strangest music anime I've seen since AKB0048. :p

Sounds like enough of a hook to me.

BONES gotta make at least one show that sells, this season.

Actually, taking a glance at Stalker, it looks like Blood Blockade Battlefront has more of a chance to sell well than Show by Rock, though it's still early to make predictions.

cajunator

Banned
You probably don't need this at this point, but you've inspired me to make a master list of shows available on Crunchyroll that I do not regret watching and would not be embarrassed to recommend to people. (Strong praise, I know.) It's actually a pretty diverse and robust list that outweighs the still-significant amount of forgettable garbage I was reminded of as I scrolled through the master list on Crunchyroll.

Akagi
Bakemonogatari (okay, maybe a little embarrassed)
*Chi's Sweet Home
Chihayafuru
*Donyatsu
*EDO Nekoe Jubei Otogisoshi
Fate/Zero
Flowers of Evil
Folktales from Japan
Gintama
Hourou Musuko (Wandering Son)
House of Five Leaves
Humanity Has Declined
Kaiji
Kids on the Slope
Kyousougiga
La Maison en Petits Cubes
Little Witch Academia
Mononoke
Moyashimon
Mushishi
Natsume Yujin-cho
Polar Bear Cafe
*Poyopoyo
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Shin Sekai Yori (From the New World)
Silver Spoon
Space Bruhs
Sora no Woto
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru
The Eccentric Family
The Rose of Versailles
Toradora!
Tsuritama
Usagi Drop
YuruYuri

*cat lady warning: asterisk marks a series where a significant majority of the appeal is the presence of cats

Is a good list.
You have good taste n stuff.

Sendou

You probably don't need this at this point, but you've inspired me to make a master list of shows available on Crunchyroll that I do not regret watching and would not be embarrassed to recommend to people. (Strong praise, I know.) It's actually a pretty diverse and robust list that outweighs the still-significant amount of forgettable garbage I was reminded of as I scrolled through the master list on Crunchyroll.

*cat lady warning: asterisk marks a series where a significant majority of the appeal is the presence of cats

Thanks for making the effort! I'll definitely use this in future.

/XX/

Is a good list.
You have good taste n stuff.
Hey, you don't get to be a Moderator without having scientifically-proven good taste™ and all that... well, except for poor duckroll that suffers 'BONEitis'. :p

It was just a joke, JUST A JOKE!

Show By Rock! Episode 1 Have a nice MUSIC!!
Was as good as I was expecting. Wish Funi subbed the songs this episode, hopefully they do next week and beyond.

Trichronika had a great song and I loved their personality, the twins were great. Ah then the rainbows and everything so awesome.

Shingan Crimsonz will be fantastic too, I loved their voices there.

btw does anyone remember the name of the short series with the boy who does nothing but do random shit on his classroom desk next to that short haired girl?

damn that was a good anime, great ending theme too.

might read the manga if i get time

Squishy3

btw does anyone remember the name of the short series with the boy who does nothing but do random shit on his classroom desk next to that short haired girl?

damn that was a good anime, great ending theme too.

might read the manga if i get time
Tonari no Seki-kun.

The first Shogi episode is probably my favorite.

cajunator

Banned
Hey, you don't get to be a Moderator without having scientifically-proven good taste™ and all that... well, except for poor duckroll that suffers 'BONEitis'. :p

It was just a joke, JUST A JOKE!

My tastes are impeccable!
HoweveR I would not take a moderator position even if it paid. Its a lot of headaches for not much appreciation. Ive been there.

phaze

Strike Witches: The Movie
strikewitchesworldmap8zocc.jpg
002888ocooo.png

Maps from 1939 and from 1945. Based Neuroi freed Central Europe from the imperialist tyranny of Germany, Austria and Russia.
Good God was first hour boring, it felt like 3 dullest possible OVA's slapped together with nothing of note happening in them. This show works even worse when the members 501 Wing are separated from each other.

After 60 minutes the movie suddenly introduces some Bulge of Bulge nonsense, I think sorely to have a chance to put in this scene:
because they forgot all about that 30 seconds later.

Best moment of the movie:
RIP in blandness Miyafuji, you will not be missed. I applaud the courage to not pull some asspull to give her back her powers.

With 15 minutes left to the end, I actually dared to hope that really would happen but nope - power of friendship bullshit all the way. Meh

Overall, it's more of Strike Witches with more Witches, more Neuroi and with more of it's unique way of framing of action. But now worse then ever before ! Good riddance and all that.

phaze

Great list ! Just a small note from me. As far as I can see Soredemo the anime isn't on Crunchyroll. They have just the manga and animated manga (!).

Sterok

Fate/Zero 12

Tokiomi really needs to get out someday. He must be getting cramped. Odd that Kiritsugu didn't consider killing Waver. Guess he doesn't want to go that far yet. Assassin really is dead? Huh. They were kind of pathetic. Someone has to suck after I guess. A home in the middle of the city. Shirou's future home? Still sucks to be Irisviel. Kirei does still have the ability to mislead Archer. So that's Archer's game. He really wants to be with someone interesting. Not a very loyal Servant though.

Aki no Kanade

This year's Anime Mirai crop didn't seem particularly promising from the promo material, so I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this entry. The artistic style and character designs aren't unique or striking as has been the case with some of the best Anime Mirai entries of the past (such as Kizuna Ichigeki or Wasurenagumo), but the production is still quite polished. There's a nice amount of character animation, certainly above the level of a typical TV episode. The storyboard has some nice moments of expressive framing as well, and brings out the more serious moments quite nicely.

But the real star is the script, which is well-written and well-structured. The story concept actually reminds me of Only Yesterday - a woman who moved to the big city comes back to her rural place of birth and reminiscences about her childhood. It's certainly not as accomplished as Takahata's masterpiece (a tall order to live up to), but in its own way it's quite affecting. The development of the main character's love of taiko drumming and how her life has grown alongside it is well-portrayed. It even manages to throw in a few nice subplots with other characters who grow and develop alongside her. It is a little blunt in places, particularly towards the end - another 15 minutes would have helped let some of those moments breathe and sink in a little more. But overall it's a good story well told.

Firehawk should definitely watch this, as it is very "mono no aware", as they say.

mdubs

Banned

Akagi
Bakemonogatari (okay, maybe a little embarrassed)
*Chi's Sweet Home
Chihayafuru
*Donyatsu
*EDO Nekoe Jubei Otogisoshi
Fate/Zero
Flowers of Evil
Folktales from Japan
Gintama
Hourou Musuko (Wandering Son)
House of Five Leaves
Humanity Has Declined
Kaiji
Kids on the Slope
Kyousougiga
La Maison en Petits Cubes
Little Witch Academia
Mononoke
Moyashimon
Mushishi
Natsume Yujin-cho
Polar Bear Cafe
*Poyopoyo
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Shin Sekai Yori (From the New World)
Silver Spoon
Space Bruhs
Sora no Woto
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru
The Eccentric Family
The Rose of Versailles
Toradora!
Tsuritama
Usagi Drop
YuruYuri

Great list, Silver Spoon is so, so good. Loved Bunny Drop as well. Does Anohana count on this list too?

Ventara

Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions Episodes 7-10

Oh man, so disappointing. The show totally took a nosedive when it turned into exploring Rikka's dark past and stupid love drama. I really enjoyed the quirky and fun show that was episodes 1-6, so it's disappointing to see it pretty much left behind. Rikka's sad past is hardly interesting and the conclusion can be seen a mile away, while the love drama is even less interesting and generic as hell. This is probably gonna continue for the next 2 episodes. Fuck.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Was as good as I was expecting. Wish Funi subbed the songs this episode, hopefully they do next week and beyond.
I find it weird that these streaming companies can be so averse to subbing songs. The episode before the last one of Cinderella Girls was rather ruined because Daisuki couldn't be bothered to translate the lyrics despite the storyline being about the character writing the lyrics to this song. So we have all this build up and can't even learn what they wrote.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom