• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Denpa Kyoushi - 01

Well, its tagged as a harem and the MC is an oblivious otaku who fills in for a teacher. Saekano meets GTO?
Either way I wasn't too thrilled about this episode. The sister made me think of Shinobu from monogatari, which is funny since MC VA is Ararararagi san
During the ED and they show her chibi style I thought the same.

/XX/

Realest look at PTSD since VOTOMS
Realest look at child soldiers since Now and Then, Here and There
Is it your first time watching the series, Narag? In case you aren't aware, I think a reminder of the 'SPECULAH! charts' is in tow:

Forum:Episode Charts - So Ra No Wo To Wiki
http://soranowoto.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Episode_Charts#Ye_Olde_Charts

They certainly raise some interesting details on it that can help give a better defined atmosphere to the series (a strange mishmash of little instances after all, but I personally think it worked).

That reminds me, I need to add this to my Top OST list.
My favourite Oshima OST.
(Sorry Geneijin)
'Le pont de pierre' is so beautiful, but what is more it still strikes me in a special way for how this track set up an unusually moody, haunting impression for the first trailer released... of an Aniplex Inc., production no less! No dialogue, not even a Sony Music artist to promote... it really felt like they were trying something at least a little different for their own programming block.

And talking about Ms. Oshima, is she again at the helm of music composition for the next Little Witch Academia chapter? Around this time before the premiere of the first one she already made mention of the work process in course for it (but even then, her involvement was announced beforehand), yet now... did we ever had confirmation of her joining for this sequel? I can't remember.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Arslan Senki Episode 1:

I remember watching the first adaptation back in the day, unfortunately that is about all I can remember, the memories have faded beyond the point of usefulness. I do remember find it rather compelling back and the day and as it is in the modern day. This was a pretty fine if standard prolong to the heroic quest, though I don't remember Paras being so inspired by Alldadin back in the day. Still, this is first title of the season where I am genuinely enthused enough to want to watch more episodes which is a good sign.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Koufuku Graffiti end
Was watching it for the foodgasm, got a great slice of life show.
So yeah, the final episode is wonderful, a new beginning for Ryou and friends. The whole food, past, and relationship theme really fit this show.

CorvoSol

So I spent all day bitching about Patlabor 2, but I figure I owe it to you all to at least mention the two moments in the movie I really did enjoy. So here we go.

3BMyHLt.jpg

dRzVxxB.jpg

DdgjUvr.png

At one of the infinite points in the film where Shinobu fucks up, Arakawa shows up with a whole unit of cops behind him. He admits to tailing her to find Tsuge, but then indicates in the top panel that Gotoh is the one who tipped him off (Gotoh, in turn, having been tipped off by Shinobu's mother.)

The next two panels are the brief reactions to this statement. Although I hated how the film ended, I admire the fact that Gotoh's conclusion was reached by seeing Shinobu caress Tsuge's hands as she cuffed him. Patlabor's ability to use brief body language to convey a wealth of emotion and meaning remains something I love about the series.

The other thing is a little simpler. Toward the end of the movie the boys from SV2 go out and get the band back together for "one last gig." It reminded me of the Blues Brothers movie where that took up a bulk of the movie, and where I'd be pretty happy if that had been a part of this movie. It would've added weight to Gotoh's feelings at the end of the movie if we'd been given that indication that he did, in fact have his friends. I digress, though. The point is it was a fun sequence that gave the cast a chance to strut around again.

Acosta

I Can’t Understand What My Husband Is Saying: 2nd thread

ERMQPfM.jpg

I'm glad to see back the most adorable couple in anime (I still wish the episodes were a bit longer)

Shirobako 23

This series is good for the heart.

Gunslinger Stratos: The Animation 1

Well this was pretty awful. Most of the episode was ugly with really poor animation. Hopefully that ending actually leads to something interesting because the characters and premise were utterly generic before that. It actually reminded me a lot of Black Bullet.

CDiggity

Arslan 01

Not bad. I am curious to see how the adventure of white-haired Edward proceeds, which is more than what I can say about a hundred other anime. Good job.

Gunslinger Stratos 01

An anime based on an arcade game (albeit a really fun arcade game) isn't very good? Color me shocked.

Narag

Is it your first time watching the series, Narag? In case you aren't aware, I think a reminder of the 'SPECULAH! charts' is in tow:

Forum:Episode Charts - So Ra No Wo To Wiki
http://soranowoto.wikia.com/wiki/Forum:Episode_Charts#Ye_Olde_Charts

They certainly raise some interesting details on it that can help give a better defined atmosphere to the series (a strange mishmash of little instances after all, but I personally think it worked).

Oh dang I think firehawk linked this to me a while ago and I forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder!

Hello AnimeGAF I'm new here. I haven't actually been into anime for long. Maybe something like less than a year now? Back in the day I of course watched stuff like Pokémon, Dragonball Z and Moomin. Then fast forward to about 1.5 years ago I wanted to watch something cute. I think that was the word I used when I asked for a recommendation. Or maybe it was happy? Either way the show that was recommended to me was School Days. Watching that show put me off from anime for a good year at least. Of course there was the shock value. Can't say I have seen a male protagonist like that ever before but even more than that it was just because it was all around so half-assed. So while it wasn't maybe completely rational I didn't feel like watching another anime after that. Pretty funny it's now a banned recommendation on GAF. Well maybe it's for the best.

Then I decided to give anime another shot and looked up some highly rated show and found Kill la Kill. Looking back now it isn't maybe exactly the best show for a newbie but strangely enough I liked it a lot. Maybe I couldn't appreciate it for everything it was but for sure it made me look for more shows as good as KLK. After that I've watched quite a few anime. I think my favorites are Ping Pong the Animation and Hunter x Hunter. Now I'm very much open to recommendations. Everything goes except horror maybe. Preferably stuff I can stream from Crunchyroll. Some other shows I watched and enjoyed: Kuroko's Basketball, Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun, Working, To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S, Nisekoi, Durarara, Attack on Titan and Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions.

Watch

Haikyuu (crunchyroll hulu)
Guilty Crown (hulu/funi)
valvrave (crunchyroll)
Buddy Complex (hulu/funi)
BLast of Tempest (crunchyroll /hulu)
Aldnoah.Zero (crunchyroll hulu)
Phi Brain (crunchyroll)
Herobank (crunchyroll)

Tsuritama

Kekkai Sensen - 01

I think this was great. Good soundtrack, interesting setting and designs. Colorful characters with visually cool fights. The preview narration was fun.

cezyps.gif

kbpivh.gif

/XX/

Oh dang I think firehawk linked this to me a while ago and I forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder!
My pleasure! Good thing about this series is that it gives me the opportunity of doing some cultural promotion here of not only my country, but also specifically of my 'comunidad autónoma' (a type of autonomous administrative division), so... visit Cuenca! Because their recreation of the city, in particular the 'casco histórico', and its surroundings for the series is worth it even up to the littlest of details (that typical 'mostacho de la benemérita', man).

Clov

Hello AnimeGAF I'm new here. I haven't actually been into anime for long. Maybe something like less than a year now? Back in the day I of course watched stuff like Pokémon, Dragonball Z and Moomin. Then fast forward to about 1.5 years ago I wanted to watch something cute. I think that was the word I used when I asked for a recommendation. Or maybe it was happy? Either way the show that was recommended to me was School Days. Watching that show put me off from anime for a good year at least. Of course there was the shock value. Can't say I have seen a male protagonist like that ever before but even more than that it was just because it was all around so half-assed. So while it wasn't maybe completely rational I didn't feel like watching another anime after that. Pretty funny it's now a banned recommendation on GAF. Well maybe it's for the best.

Then I decided to give anime another shot and looked up some highly rated show and found Kill la Kill. Looking back now it isn't maybe exactly the best show for a newbie but strangely enough I liked it a lot. Maybe I couldn't appreciate it for everything it was but for sure it made me look for more shows as good as KLK. After that I've watched quite a few anime. I think my favorites are Ping Pong the Animation and Hunter x Hunter. Now I'm very much open to recommendations. Everything goes except horror maybe. Preferably stuff I can stream from Crunchyroll. Some other shows I watched and enjoyed: Kuroko's Basketball, Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun, Working, To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S, Nisekoi, Durarara, Attack on Titan and Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions.

It's not on Crunchyroll, but if you liked Ping Pong, then watching The Tatami Galaxy is a must. It's from the same director as Ping Pong, though it's very different visually. If you can appreciate Ping Pong, then you'll probably enjoy The Tatami Galaxy.

phaze

Blood Blockade Battlefront 01

It was good. Still can turn out to be just Rie Matsumoto's Aldnoah depending on the quality of the script but we will see. Main guy was less annoying than I imagined from the previews, he even opened his eyes in the very first episode !

I do hope blood superpowers will be the only thing this and Deadman Wonderland have in common.

Midonin

PriPara 39 & Show By Rock!! 01

Unicorn? So is this what Falulu flew off to do? Or is this just another step on Meganee's schemes towards world domination? Not sure why Meganii had to phrase it as "splitting up", though, since Solami Smile and Dressing Pafe got back together almost immediately - both of them just need two more members in order to fill the quota for the Dream Parade. That look Mikan gave Lala at the end... while she appears to be more of a chuuni idol in the vein of Yurika or Ranko, I can't help but wonder if Lala is going to make a deal with the devil in order to have her wish come true. Or if Sophie's wish of swimming with the jellyfish is the smartest idea.

Dorothy and Leona's wish of being filthy rich, though, that's understandable.

But not everybody can be as a rich as 346. Like BRR. Show By Rock has some odd decisions going for it. The frame story of a human girl - sorta similar to Hideyoshi in Sengoku Otome - was cute, but I could've accepted this setting as-is without it needing to be in a game. Not everyone could have though, and some Dog Days esque ordinary human thrown into the mix can have its advantages.

What really surprised me was how much of the show was in CGI. And not even cel-shaded CGI at that, but the kind of CGI that's associated with Dreamworks and the like. While there's still the part of my brain that's fighting against calling that "anime", I can't say it looked terrible. Cartoony, and it pulled off some neat tricks. Plus it's giving Misa something to do. The battle element was totally unexpected - I wasn't expecting battle of the bands to be taken so literally. So are all humanoid animals in this world humans sucked into it by Unicorn? Either they're all really used to this or Cyan is the first and the exception. The talking guitar too, is a bit odd.

And yet I like it all the same. It's Asterisk-approved! Rock nya!

Crocodile

Food Wars - Episode 1

I was a little apprehensive with all the talk about the tentacle scene but putting that moment aside (which is indefensible but moves by quickly enough and is framed in a way to make it a lot less creepy than it could have been) that first episode was very enjoyable with many laughs. There were still lots of jiggly bits though so while I found them funny more than anything I couldn't recommend this to those who have a strong aversion to fanservice (even if there was some equal opportunity fanservice). The show had lots of "shonen heart" and an enjoyable protagonist (though again that thing he did near the start was kind of jerkish). Was surprised that at least one of the parents was present and not a giant asshole though I'm curious as to what happened to the MC's mother and if that at all will be a plot point. Wasn't a fan of how the MCs eyes seemed to dissapper whenever he went into "serious mode". Will keep watching for now.

Show By Rock!! 01

Please welcome neo-Bones, they just find a way.

LOL someone hit the cajunator signal! For the rest of us, are there any redeeming qualities about this aside from cuteness?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Can we just make an executive decision to not call it Food Wars because holy hell that is a horrible name.

Magical magical Vivid - 01

Pretty much exactly the episode i imagined it to be.
We had a slight update on the cast age and occupations , several cameos .
All the setups - for the current season.
Nanoha mama.
Fate mama.

Yep , they seems to have nailed it.
Next episode , i expect to the see fight animated properly and then all my fears will be dissipated.

There is a shot of the familly trip in the opening and well as many of the tournament , so it's safe to assume that we'll get as far as this arc in the anime. Can't wait.

Cornbread78

Cross Ange
rejoice.png

Lol, the new favorite Rec.

Hello AnimeGAF I'm new here. I haven't actually been into anime for long. Now I'm very much open to recommendations. Everything goes except horror maybe. Preferably stuff I can stream from Crunchyroll. Some other shows I watched and enjoyed: Kuroko's Basketball, Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun, Working, To Aru Kagaku no Railgun S, Nisekoi, Durarara, Attack on Titan and Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions.

I've only been into it for a month, so I hear ya. I lived through the School Days prank and became more of a man because of it; initiation at its best..

I got into anime because of Sword Art Online, I would go check that out asap. It gets a lot of hate here, but it's well worth the watch on my book. Also, Log Horizon it's well done. Lastly, if you are looking for something cute and fun, but has a pretty good story, look up Yuki Yuna is a Hero. Lastlt, Yona of the Dawn, is a good adventure story that pulls you along.

Welcome and have fun with it!

Link Man

Banned
Show by Rock!! 1

Great show, Cajun NEEDS TO WATCH THIS RIGHT NOW! Cute, great music (that guitar riff!), good humor and actually good CG.

Defuser

Plastic Memories ep 1
Even in the far far future people are using windows. So this show is expected to have feels but I can't feel anything :/

Nagato Yuki-chan 1
So this is Haruhi in an alternate universe where all the characters have no personality and there is nothing supernatural. And the character designs are terrible. It's as boring as it sounds.

Jarmel

Banned
Blood Blockade Battlefront-1
Chaotic. This is straight Matsumoto not only on a storyboarding level but other elements such as editing, soundtrack usage, storytelling approach and pacing. The anime starts out in a rather unusual framing style for the story, that the show is a letter from the main character to his sister. It's interesting in that the manga doesn't do anything stylish like this and it orients the whole show around Leonard and his sister. The anime then dumps the exposition for the city into this hectic scene with Leonard chasing the monkey while people in the background give info on the city. I see what Matsumoto was going for in that she didn't want people sitting around and talking but she still needed to get the information out. So by having the chase scene happen at that particular point, the audience gets an appreciation of life in the city. That said it was also an obvious budget saving technique considering they do reuse the sequence like three minutes later. I guess you can take Matsumoto out of Toei but you can't take Toei out of Matsumoto.
iVrmeMKDIJrks.jpg

iP8tyX7bciVOl.jpg

Pacific Rim confirmed for anime.
The pacing of the episode is on the super quick side. Many sequences that could have been emotional or longer are cut short. They easily had enough material for two episodes but they just burned through everything. It really does remind of Kyousougiga in how fast the scenes are and how chaotic everything is. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not as I feel more time could have been given to Leon's flashback. It doesn't feel rushed like Kill La Kill's episode 1 was but just chaotic.
iPxhZATc4zxMn.jpg

i19r4mGSnwM3f.jpg

Damn this was smooth.
One thing that surprised me is how good the editing was. There were multiple uses of match transitions, depth of focus transitions, and hard cuts to indicate time lapse. It's the best use of editing I've seen in a TV show in a long fucking time. I had just watched the Every Frame a Painting episode on Satoshi Kon's editing and this episode brought up a lot of points in the episode.

And yes Kimura's work is every bit as good as it was hyped up to be. The backgrounds are super detailed and the outside shots have the fog element to it. I don't know how I feel about the soundtrack. I like the individual pieces but not necessarily how they're 'used' I guess. It really just adds up to that 'chaotic' element that I keep mentioning in my review.

In short, it's like I'm watching Kyousougiga again but it's in New York.

Trinity Seven - OAV

This Ova while good , featured something that disapointed me.

ALL THIS TEASING.

Why so much teasing for season 2 ?
Just why

Also , Arata in my top 5 demon lords in anime.

Stulaw

With the Nagato show starting I finally got around to seeing The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya.

Enjoyed it, it it was a bit of a slow starter. Looked great certainly. Of course I do wonder if the dim memories of the show impacted my enjoyment, after all the movie does intersect with various scenes of the show that I only dimly remembered.

I also wonder how it relates to the books. Were all the novels turned into anime?

The Nagato anime has very little to do with the main books outside of the characters themselves, with the setting of the Disappearance

About half of the light novel's stories were animated, and if they didn't waste time with Endless Eight, they probably would have done more, they're currently missing one story out of "The Rampage", three stories out of "The Wavering", and all of the volumes that come after that.

I would love to see them animated, and for the books to continue.

Anyway.

The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan Ep1

It was rather enjoyable, even though I've read some of the manga and watched the Disappearance movie, it's still weird to see Nagato with a different personality. Still, Kyon being the straight man, Asakura being Yuki's wingman, and Tsuruya being out right herself made this episode work well.

Next episode seems to be the Christmas episode.

Tenumi

Banned
Still so glad I got School Days out of the way before I signed up here, and watched it on my own terms.

Not gonna have any time to watch anything today. Makes me sad, but hey, more time to digest and choose wisely what I want to watch.

Baalzebup

Magical magical Vivid - 01

Pretty much exactly the episode i imagined it to be.
We had a slight update on the cast age and occupations , several cameos .
All the setups - for the current season.
Nanoha mama.
Fate mama.

Yep , they seems to have nailed it.
Next episode , i expect to the see fight animated properly and then all my fears will be dissipated.

There is a shot of the familly trip in the opening and well as many of the tournament , so it's safe to assume that we'll get as far as this arc in the anime. Can't wait.

Amen to this.

Phatmac

this felt like a proper season finale but it actually isn't listed like that on CR. I think this could've had some good character building for Gin and his past but it didn't go as far as I would've liked for the amnesia trope. Kinda disappointed but the jokes were good with his rising tone of voice with every new concussion.

Denpa Kyoushi - 01

Well, its tagged as a harem and the MC is an oblivious otaku who fills in for a teacher. Saekano meets GTO?
Either way I wasn't too thrilled about this episode. The sister made me think of Shinobu from monogatari, which is funny since MC VA is Ararararagi san

It's GTO meets Sword Art Online. Trust me that teacher turns into the biggest Gary Stu and everybody wants his dick. There's self-insert media, and then there's this.

Narag

Show by Rock!! 1

So apparently this is a Sanrio proprety that's made by Bones yet channels all the dread of watching early Sanrio films as Cyan, a young first year high school student simply looking for someplace to belong.

Before she can screw up the courage to finally approach the club she wants to join, she's ripped from her current reality by a nefarious force...

and dropped into a CG Wonderland where music is king and everyone is apparently an animal.

Evil lurks this world ready to consume all this is good and can rock...

but fret not, true believers, for Cyan is armed with a holy instrument as noted by this Wonderland's Humpty Dumpty.

With the enemy vanquished, the grim specter of Madoka Magica manifests as we learn this sort of power comes with a price.

No doubt this will all end in a heartbreaking fashion as befitting of Sanrio where this musical Wonderland collapses in upon itself, rock dies a final death, and Cyan never joins the music club.

Can't Understand Husband S201

Continues to be as silly and charming as I remember. I giggled at the "Is your senpai the ***minator?" I've noticed it too often now, but I guess Japan can't say names of famous things?

He's plenty Gary Stu in the opening episode even.

Suga' you ain't seen nothing yet. Motherfucker is a hardcore otaku but makes them women weak on the knees because reasons

cajunator

Banned
So troll recs for School Days are on the list of officially banned things? Weird, but understandable to some extent I suppose.

I hope not. I actually bought it on DVD. I legit like it.
I recommend it as an example of how off the rails things can get in anime. Its also very entertaining towards the end.

Y̶o̶n̶a̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶D̶a̶w̶n̶ Arslan Senki 01

Cue in - 24 episodes of MC trying to find his set of balls.

I don't know, the setting and the premise has some promise (lul) but when the starting point of character development are ridiculous attitudes like "Slavery is good", I need to kill all heathens" it makes me worry for the quality of writing.

Episode as whole was meh, I just hope that when the need to show masses of soldiers stops so will the need for these amounts of CG.

If this is anything like Yona then I am very interested!
Seems like thats not the case. thats a high standard to live up to.

Remember all that common knowlege about uni anime clubs?

uni anime clubs

I loved my anime club so much. Some of my best college memories there.
It really turned me into the obsessed anime fan I am today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom