• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
SHOW BY ROCK 01

ANIME OF THE DAY
ANIME OF THE WEEK
ANIME OF THE MONTH
ANIME OF THE YEAR
ANIME OF THE DECADE
ANIME OF THE CENTURY
ANIME OF THE MILLENNIUM
ANIME OF THE FOREVER

THEY SHOULD HAVE SENT A POET
THEY SHOULD HAVE SENT A POET
So I guess this show is Cajunator approved.

phaze

Nisekoi OVA 3
2mhu6de1sde.png

Mizu no Kotoba/ Aquatic Language

9 minute short that I randomly stumbled upon on Crunchyroll. Follows a few people talking about stuff in cafe. Pretty fun with neat cinematography and a bit of a twist at the end. Might need to check Time of Eve since it seems to be well regarded and is from the same guy.

e_i

Hello! Kiniro Mosaic episode 1

Nice to have you back girls. Looks like the new sensei "loves" her students, but
scares the shit out of them instead.
Karen is still in
kissu mode I see.

Took a look at the production companies on Nanoha Vivid, and saw who licensed Dog Days to CR - Aniplex. The only problem is that Aniplex US already announced all the series they're streaming for this season (F/SN, Plastic Memories, Nisekoi:, Gunslinger), and Nanoha Vivid is not among them - for understandable reasons, being a spinoff of a franchise that never got off the ground in America.

So that makes it look extremely unlikely that it'll ever be simulcast, but I'll keep a faint bit of hope.
Aniplex of Japan's presence in the committee does not mean they hold international rights to the series.

So we have Aniplex to blame for no Dog Days last season? :T
To be specific, you have Aniplex of America who decided not to license the third season of a show they did not plan to license the first two seasons of. Their decision not to license it meant Aniplex of Japan had no way to sell the NA streaming rights to Crunchy.

Isn't Kadokawa also on the committee? While their stuff has been simulcast before, maybe this could be an Amagi Brilliant Park situation.
The committee for Vivid is:
King Records/Starchild
Seven Arcs
Aniplex of Japan

Don't see Kadokawa listed. King Records (Star Child), A-1 Pictures, Aniplex, Seven Arcs... and that's it.
A-1 is not listed in the committee nor are they ever listed when Aniplex is on a committee. This is why you do not trust the ANN encyclopedia as they are often wrong on companies.

Starchild is unlikely to have rights to this as they've not held rights to any of the Nanoha series and haven't mentioned it internationally. Aniplex may have rights, but due to a lack of success in NA previously, there's little reason to license this and it would fall under a Dog Days situation. Seven Arcs may have rights as they were the only other company to be on the previous TV series' committees and likely have rights to those series.

Overall, it's a shitty situation to be in as an international fan as legal viewing methods do not seem to be forthcoming.

Huh, weird. Could have sworn that they were involved somehow. Guess it really is Aniplex's fault, in this case.

The manga is published in Kadokawa's CompAce magazine and published by the Kadokawa Shoten company. This does not mean they will be involved in financially producing the series.

Arslan Senki 01

This has DTL written all over it. Like 95% of the cast is pretty men haha. Strong first episode, where Albino Edward/Alphonse is training and just can't WAIT TO BE KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING.

Looks like a show that will be worth watching.

e_i

Highschool DxD Born episode 1

Bewbs! Bewbs everywhere. It looks like
the fallen angel that killed the MC is back
and Koneko
is her little sister?

Clov

The manga is published in Kadokawa's CompAce magazine and published by the Kadokawa Shoten company. This does not mean they will be involved in financially producing the series.

Ah, that's probably why I thought they were involved.

I do wonder who has the rights to this and the previous Nanoha seasons. I'd like to see at least the first two seasons get re-released, preferably on BD. I've heard the upscale done on them isn't bad at all. I wonder if any North American companies would be interested? Which reminds me, I ought to import the movies sometime. I really liked the A's movie.

Ah, that's probably why I thought they were involved.

I do wonder who has the rights to this and the previous Nanoha seasons. I'd like to see at least the first two seasons get re-released, preferably on BD. I've heard the upscale done on them isn't bad at all. I wonder if any North American companies would be interested? Which reminds me, I ought to import the movies sometime. I really liked the A's movie.

The only company I could see would possibly be interested would be Sentai, and that's a huge stretch for them as it's an older title from a company they don't have a pre-existing relationship with or would be licensing a new title from. It's also one that wasn't a huge seller when it was new, so getting people to buy discs (which you want if you're Sentai) would be difficult.

Clov

The only company I could see would possibly be interested would be Sentai, and that's a huge stretch for them as it's an older title from a company they don't have a pre-existing relationship with or would be licensing a new title from. It's also one that wasn't a huge seller when it was new, so getting people to buy discs (which you want if you're Sentai) would be difficult.

Guess it's a long shot, then. Well, I'll just have to hope it gets picked up by someone at some point, as unlikely as it is.

Midonin

Nanoha ViVid 01

Nothing to do but jump in.

It's been a while since I've seen StrikerS - it was still being wrapped up when I really got into the fandom - but I do remember the rough details of what went down, so seeing characters like Nove and Erio and Carrol again was a nice surprise. It does feel a bit like Dog Days, but I can also feel some Prisma Illya similarities, though unlike Illya's war turned magical girls, this is a magical girls turned military then going back to its roots.

Having a magical girl coming from a legacy - and not just in the "princess of a magical land" sense, though Vivio has that too - feels like a nice change in formula, though it makes the "Lyrical Nanoha" part of the title feel customary at this point - Nanoha and Fate, as wonderful as it is to see them as moms - are mere side characters. Love Nana and Yukarin's OP and ED, as always.

Shame it wasn't licensed, but it's still one of my most anticipated series, and the first episode set a good premise and tone for what I'm looking for. Though Vivio naming her Device Sacred Heart just puts a tune in my head. ♫Hello I'm Dr. Kelso/I'm delighted that you came~♫

This season is off to a great start. Funi just needs to get the rest of their shows up and running. Yuki, BorN and Mikagura need times.

So I realize that I've not seen any Patlabor related thing, and would like to rectify that

Is there a recommended/required viewing order?

Is any of it on crunchyroll/hulu?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Translator's Notes from Azumanga Daioh

The School Chime:

In British schools, class periods are separated by the bell. In Japan, the chime melody is used.

Well I'm glad that was cleared up.

So I realize that I've not seen any Patlabor related thing, and would like to rectify that

I recommend starting with the movie continuity and then moving on to the TV continuity.

Movie Continuity - Patlabor OVA Series 1 (Early Days) -> Patlabor: The Movie -> Patlabor 2: The Movie
TV Continuity - Patlabor TV Series -> Patlabor OVA Series 2 (New Files)

I don't believe so.

Tuck

Arslan Senki 01

This has DTL written all over it. Like 95% of the cast is pretty men haha. Strong first episode, where Albino Edward/Alphonse is training and just can't WAIT TO BE KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING.

Looks like a show that will be worth watching.

Is this the old one or the new one? Thought the new one was a summer show.

Stulaw

Yay cars!
Car on left has the back of a bugatti Veyron. Car on the right side is a Renault Gordini.

Not only a Veyron, but a
Veyron Limousine

Show By Rock 1

This was better than I expected it to be, the visuals are lovely, the 3D is nice, and it's a Rock Musical Comedy. Retoree had me laughing at her reactions, Maple had me laughing at his
S&M fetish,
the bit at the end where the
Shingan Crimsonz turn up singing was just fantastic.
. Yeah this is definitely something I'm continuing to watch throughout the Spring.

Saudades

I recommend starting with the movie continuity and then moving on to the TV continuity.

Movie Continuity - Patlabor OVA Series 1 (Early Days) -> Patlabor: The Movie -> Patlabor 2: The Movie
TV Continuity - Patlabor TV Series -> Patlabor OVA Series 2 (New Files)

I would recommend watching the TV continuity first. I watched the Movie continuity first and currently watching the TV continuity and I'm a bit disappointed with it since both the direction and production value of the TV series is not up to par with the first OVA series and movies.

But then again I just saw Corvo's meltdown after watching Movie 2 last.

Sterok

Nanoha Vivid

It's Vivid. Slow start, just like the manga. Never liked it much, but I like Nanoha, so I'll probably stick with it. I forgot that Fate never saw Vivio's adult form. I sort of like how they gloss over how Vivio is a WMD, or all the former criminal cyborgs. Eh, not important.

Nagato Yuki

It's Yuki. Pretty much how I remember the manga. Kyon looks way off. Everyone else looks fine, but they didn't get him right. Asakura is the best part, as expected. Really, she should be the protagonist since she's far more entertaining than Yuki and Kyon. Well, it's nice to have the cast together again in animated format, so it's worth watching.

Futurecard Buddyfight 64 END (engdub)

Giving us a Ultimate Neo Dragon Drum The Future for a final upgrade after Kyoya Gaen's Demonic Demise Dragon, Azi Dahaka balanced the fight out nicely. Ending was extremely predictable for things but done in an excellent manner
Friendship was always in the DNA of the show. So for Gao Mikado to accept Kyoya as a friend and even offer to buddyfight him again was lovely and expected
. 10/10.

Really hyped for Buddyfight 100, its going to be splendid.

I will miss the OP. and also the OP Shiny Up it was really good.

duckroll

Blood Blockade Battlefront - Episode 1

This sure is a shounen action anime. The direction is pretty solid, good pacing for an introductory episode, tight origin story, pretty dense, lots of really nice animation. It seems like the perfect show for Toonami. There are ridiculous and colorful characters with crazy powers, the entire setting is a mix of edgy designs and fun "anything goes" action, and it's pretty entertaining. I don't think there's anything particularly unique about the story or characters so far, but it's definitely well made for the sort of genre it's in. Hopefully it keeps up without feeling draggy or repetitive after a while.

Blood Blockade Battlefront - Episode 1

This sure is a shounen action anime. The direction is pretty solid, good pacing for an introductory episode, tight origin story, pretty dense, lots of really nice animation. It seems like the perfect show for Toonami. There are ridiculous and colorful characters with crazy powers, the entire setting is a mix of edgy designs and fun "anything goes" action, and it's pretty entertaining. I don't think there's anything particularly unique about the story or characters so far, but it's definitely well made for the sort of genre it's in. Hopefully it keeps up without feeling draggy or repetitive after a while.

something tells me that they will go at least a bit an anime original route. Blue Exorcist started out really promising on the first episode and then it shat the bed and went the 'special school for special kids' route. Ugh.

ibyea

Banned
Blood Blockade Battlefront 1
It's typical shone. It does have an interesting premise, and Jerusalem's Lot, a city mixed with the normal and supernatural, feels alive. The action is crazy and the whole thing is awesome over the top. And holy cow was that sequence in which the monster was reforming awesome. The creativity in the direction front helps too. I like it. Although I don't understand what the heck that flashback was about.
Some monster appeared and asked one of them to be a witness? I don't understand what it meant by that.

duckroll

Show By Rock!! - Episode 1

What... is... this... This is like a Fusion Error in a SMT game when you try to fuse Cajun, Sabre, Narag, and duckroll. I thought the CG was really good, and going for the nendo look worked really well for what they wanted. But... I have no idea what sort of show it wants to be or what the hook is other than "cute expressions" + "catgirl guitarist" + "music battles" + "virtual music world". This is the strangest music anime I've seen since AKB0048. :p

Saudades

Fate/Stay Night UBW 01

OP was the only good thing to come out of this episode (other than some action sakuga). Aimer gets the job done, despite the Engrish.

Oh yeah and they pulled the "I can totally demolish you right now but I'm not going to because reasons" card again.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is it your first time watching the series, Narag? In case you aren't aware, I think a reminder of the 'SPECULAH! charts' is in tow:

Forum:Episode Charts - So Ra No Wo To Wiki
http://soranowoto.wikia.com/wiki/For...Ye_Olde_Charts

They certainly raise some interesting details on it that can help give a better defined atmosphere to the series (a strange mishmash of little instances after all, but I personally think it worked).

'Le pont de pierre' is so beautiful, but what is more it still strikes me in a special way for how this track set up an unusually moody, haunting impression for the first trailer released... of an Aniplex Inc., production no less! No dialogue, not even a Sony Music artist to promote... it really felt like they were trying something at least a little different for their own programming block.

And talking about Ms. Oshima, is she again at the helm of music composition for the next Little Witch Academia chapter? Around this time before the premiere of the first one she already made mention of the work process in course for it (but even then, her involvement was announced beforehand), yet now... did we ever had confirmation of her joining for this sequel? I can't remember.
The speculah for Sora No Woto was great inasmuch as it was something where you could go deep, but the show did nothing to explain anything. For science fiction, there is surprisingly very little exposition - you just learn about the world as the characters live their lives or gain new information, but it leaves you a lot of room to fill in the gaps if you wanted to do so.

I guess, since Bloodborne is on the brain right now, it's very much like how Miyizaki handles fiction in his games.

Also, the OST is just very atmospheric and moody, which is why I like listening to it from time to time. It's... a nice counterpoint to Choro Club's Aria work. lol

So I started watching Eureka Seven on Netflix. I've wanted to watch this show since it came out, but I could never find a way to watch it until now. The sub timings of the Netflix version are insane though, a lot of the time 2 lines of subtitles are on screen for just a second or two. Is there any other service streaming it with better subtitles?

Arcadius

Banned
So I started watching Eureka Seven on Netflix. I've wanted to watch this show since it came out, but I could never find a way to watch it until now. The sub timings of the Netflix version are insane though, a lot of the time 2 lines of subtitles are on screen for just a second or two. Is there any other service streaming it with better subtitles?

I don't have any recommendations for you on the service front, but I wanted to let you know that Eureka Seven is one of the first anime I have ever watched and I absolutely love it.

Narag

The speculah for Sora No Woto was great inasmuch as it was something where you could go deep, but the show did nothing to explain anything. For science fiction, there is surprisingly very little exposition - you just learn about the world as the characters live their lives or gain new information, but it leaves you a lot of room to fill in the gaps if you wanted to do so

Oh it stays that way throughout? I was actually concerned I'd get buried under an infodump later.

cajunator

Banned
Show By Rock!! - Episode 1

What... is... this... This is like a Fusion Error in a SMT game when you try to fuse Cajun, Sabre, Narag, and duckroll. I thought the CG was really good, and going for the nendo look worked really well for what they wanted. But... I have no idea what sort of show it wants to be or what the hook is other than "cute expressions" + "catgirl guitarist" + "music battles" + "virtual music world". This is the strangest music anime I've seen since AKB0048. :p

It is pretty bizarre but its definitely interesting.
Im entranced by it.
Its even weirder than I thought it would be.

I don't have any recommendations for you on the service front, but I wanted to let you know that Eureka Seven is one of the first anime I have ever watched and I absolutely love it.

I've heard only good things about it! I'm really excited to watch it, but I just don't think I can stick with Netflix's version unless I turn on the dub, and I usually prefer subs to dubs.

Find out there was little part of Knights of Sidonia s2 episode 8 aka BLAME! episode footage showed in niconico

http://webm.land/w/jymu/

Man, I was so confused by that.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2015/03/05-1/knights-of-sidonia-season-2-teased-for-netflix
(minor non-story spoiler)
This second season is packaged with the promise of a bit of the original sci-fi manga author Tsutomu Nihei's earlier cyber-horror series Blame!, set to appear as a show-within-a-show in the eighth episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom