• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki 1

Christ that was unbelievably boring. So boring I can't believe KyoAni passed on it. Something so boring should be right in their wheelhouse. It really highlights just how important Haruhi and KyoAni were to the series. Without Haruhi, Kyon has just become the typical RomCom protagonist, and without KyoAni the show lacks the solid direction and animation that elevated the series beyond the source material. I don't think I'll be sticking around for this one.

Kyon could still be Kyon without Haruhi, he was in the film when she wasn't around. But this is essentially fanfiction by someone who doesn't have a good grasp of the characters' voices.

VRMN

Kyon could still be Kyon without Haruhi, he was in the film when she wasn't around. But this is essentially fanfiction by someone who doesn't have a good grasp of the characters' voices.

I don't really agree. Kyon's not as snarky because the world around him isn't insane. It's toned down, but it's still there and it makes sense why it's not in full force. Similarly, Yuki in Disappearance wasn't around long enough to be well characterized beyond being shy and liking Kyon: these elements of her character remain in this incarnation. Fanfiction being used as a way to denigrate the work seems misused here because some thought went into the altered characterizations.

Case in point: Haruhi's very similar, as is Tsuruya and Mikuru. Asakura is somewhat different, but that seems to be because her role is different as well. (And again, we didn't exactly get to know her well in the original.)
Also, after the accident, Yuki's personality does become very similar to the original Yuki, which is to my point.

ibyea

Banned
I don't really agree. Kyon's not as snarky because the world around him isn't insane. It's toned down, but it's still there and it makes sense why it's not in full force. Similarly, Yuki in Disappearance wasn't around long enough to be well characterized beyond being shy and liking Kyon: these elements of her character remain in this incarnation. Fanfiction being used as a way to denigrate the work seems misused here because some thought went into the altered characterizations.

Case in point: Haruhi's very similar, as is Tsuruya and Mikuru. Asakura is somewhat different, but that seems to be because her role is different as well. (And again, we didn't exactly get to know her well in the original.)
Also, after the accident, Yuki's personality does become very similar to the original Yuki, which is to my point.

There is something about the characters in that manga that doesn't fully capture the characters. It's not about whether it's toned down. The feel of the characters are different because the author don't know how to capture their voices.

Damn I had no idea this show was back.

What a great season opener kicking off from where the last season ended. The animation and art is really good and it's nice hearing these voice actors again in these particular roles.

Hikitana is still a great character. His critique of characters and their motivations continues to be a nice change of pace from your typical protagonist. I've always appreciated how simple the plots in this show's episodes were. For some reason, I almost get a Peanuts vibe from the style of the show. I also feel as if the show is really pushing towards a more definite conclusion to the romantic tension involving him Yukino and Yui
(and Totsuka)
this season as opposed to it being in the background.

hey the OP looks different

Thanks to Midonin for being on the ball with FN/CR air times.

Noticed that some of FUNimation's simulcasts have a 2-3 week exclusive period for subscribers before free members can view.

2 weeks - Nagato and Show By Rock
3 weeks - Denpa Kyoushi and Arslan Senki

TUSR

Banned
Noticed that some of FUNimation's simulcasts have a 2-3 week exclusive period for subscribers before free members can view.

2 weeks - Nagato and Show By Rock
3 weeks - Denpa Kyoushi and Arslan Senki

CR does the same for Premium/Premium+ or whatever the hell they are calling their service now.

Thoraxes

*whistles

My combo order comes in tomorrow.
Alright animeGAF, my friend is currently getting into anime. He tends to enjoy "dark anime with fighting and a tad bit romance" as he mention to me. Here are some anime he did enjoy: Sword Art Online, Ga-Rei Zero, Guilty Crown, Elfen Lied, Fate/Stay Night. I recommend to him Tokyo Ghoul and Parastyle. Any suggestions?
feel like animeGAF doesnt like some of his taste, but each their own! :)

Hey firehawk12....
Poi poi

Try Legend of the Legendary Heroes. It's not totally grimdark, but it definitely has plenty of moments.

Fullmetal Alchemist + FMA Brotherhood are good too, and the later stuff in it fits that.

VRMN

There is something about the characters in that manga that doesn't fully capture the characters. It's not about whether it's toned down. The feel of the characters are different because the author don't know how to capture their voices.

At some level, I think I'd need some examples rather than just saying it. Even original authors are capable of out of character moments, but in this instance, the characters that feel different have a reason to do so, as I provided. That doesn't mean you have to like it, obviously, but I do think more thought went into the characters than you give them credit for, especially given the genre change that accompanied.

Blood Blockade Battlefront 1
I didn't really care for the pacing in this. Some of the scenes were jarring in that it felt like plot points were just being rushed through in order to end this episode where they wanted to. They should have pushed the back story about the sister to the next episode because it was rushed and poorly done here and that scene with Klaus needed more time to breath. This seems like a show that is going to be heavily dependent on the ability to keep up these high production values because I don't see staying power coming from the writing or scenario.

My combo order comes in tomorrow.

Try Legend of the Legendary Heroes. It's not totally grimdark, but it definitely has plenty of moments.

Fullmetal Alchemist + FMA Brotherhood are good too, and the later stuff in it fits that.

Thanks will do as well :) He watched the original Fullmetal Alchemist but kinda refuses to watch FMA Brotherhood. Dont know why haha even tho I told him its the original story by the manga writer.

Hmm feel like I should post more in here..however I never tend to finish any series I start watching...

TUSR

Banned
BxkVIxy.jpg

Soon.

Defuser

I can foresee instruments sales in japan will rise. Otakus would buy anything related to anime. I ain't surprise they would buy feces if there is a feces anime.

Black Hat

The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki 1

Christ that was unbelievably boring. So boring I can't believe KyoAni passed on it. Something so boring should be right in their wheelhouse. It really highlights just how important Haruhi and KyoAni were to the series. Without Haruhi, Kyon has just become the typical RomCom protagonist, and without KyoAni the show lacks the solid direction and animation that elevated the series beyond the source material. I don't think I'll be sticking around for this one.

Fanfic trash.

Would really like to see KyoAni adapt the rest of the Haruhi light novels as there is good material there for an continuation of the anime.

Sadly it feels like Endless Eight killed any hopes of that happening.

Fanfic trash.

Would really like to see KyoAni adapt the rest of the Haruhi light novels as there is good material there for an continuation of the anime.

Sadly it feels like Endless Eight killed any hopes of that happening.

Blame the author for no longer writing novels. Though Endless Eight was a tremendous waste of everyone's time.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I can foresee instruments sales in japan will rise. Otakus would buy anything related to anime. I ain't surprise they would buy feces if there is a feces anime.

It's true. I sold Waitrose plastic bags for £25 each to K-On Otakus after one appeared in the movie.

phaze

[Shigurui]

It's a novel. The following chapters deal with the other fights, and then there's an epilogue of sorts that involves the (few) survivors.

Alrighty thanks ! Read some spoilers and it seems
Gennosuke dies soon after the Shigurui ends. :(

I think that's one of Monster's greatest strengths, it's ensemble cast, and it's willing to give the spotlight to someone other than Tenma and Nina. IMO, they aren't compelling enough to carry the entire series on their backs, so it works well.

Lunge, Johan, Eva are fairly interesting but the heaps of side characters this show introduces, whether they be episodic ones or those that the show spends 10 episodes on building up, only to throw them away are not. Grimmer was better than the rest but even he seems to have been ejected out of narrative now. With that said, the show seems to have moved into endgame now and is much more interesting than the awful middle was.

Strike Witchers S2 End
Just as good as first S,
not good.
The movie is worse !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom