• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goddammit, Nintendoman! What's it gonna be: Ef or Steins;Gate?

I'd say finish Ef first, since you've already started that. :p

I'm just giving you a heads up that the writer for this wrote an awesome VN that got an anime adaptation. So if you end up enjoying this, you may also enjoy that too.

Finish what you've got on your plate first though, lol.

Teekyu 19-37

Too much Teekyu

help

Your brain right now:

1VkMyMX.jpg

Cornbread78

Nisemonogatari Ep. 8
OMFG, WTF was that? OMFG? Nooooooooo. The toothbrush! Umm,
That's your sister dude, like WTF, a toothbrush sex game?

Seriously, where do they come up with this stuff? I think I just laughed my ass off in the Subway on break, so bad.. but, luckily I can take that as a joke and he didn't really
touch her physically did he? I mean, the vampire chick I can see it because she's part of him now and hundreds of years old, but his sister? OMG, WTF, wow
Just wow.. next episode..

Alright animeGAF, my friend is currently getting into anime. He tends to enjoy "dark anime with fighting and a tad bit romance" as he mention to me. Here are some anime he did enjoy: Sword Art Online, Ga-Rei Zero, Guilty Crown, Elfen Lied, Fate/Stay Night. I recommend to him Tokyo Ghoul and Parastyle. Any suggestions?
feel like animeGAF doesnt like some of his taste, but each their own! :)

Hey firehawk12....
Poi poi

Man... I remember Ga-Rei Zero. I felt so bad for so many characters in that show. So many unfortunate things. :(

Parasyte is fine if your friend is cool with the wub-wub. Which I didn't personally mind but I know a few people who didn't enjoy it.

Fate/Zero is a safe choice if he liked the Deen Fate/Stay Night (unless your talking about ufotable's adaptation)

Log Horizon and No Game No Life are easy choices if he liked SAO.

Deadman Wonderland and Death Note are good Madhouse shows if he hasn't already watched them.

Any of those shows should be to his fancy.

Nisemonogatari Ep. 8
OMFG, WTF was that? OMFG? Nooooooooo. The toothbrush! Umm,
That's your sister dude, like WTF, a toothbrush sex game?

Seriously, where do they come up with this stuff? I think I just laughed my ass off in the Subway on break, so bad.. but, luckily I can take that as a joke and he didn't really
touch her physically did he? I mean, the vampire chick I can see it because she's part of him now and hundreds of years old, but his sister? OMG, WTF, wow
Just wow.. next episode..

One of CorvoSol's better moments.

I'd say finish Ef first, since you've already started that. :p

I'm just giving you a heads up that the writer for this wrote an awesome VN that got an anime adaptation. So if you end up enjoying this, you may also enjoy that too.

Finish what you've got on your plate first though, lol.

Yeah. I think that's what I'll do. :p

In my attempt to see if Crunchyroll had Steins;Gate I was scrolling through to find it and I saw School Days was on Crunchyroll. For some sadistic reason I had the urge to watch that show again. THE HORROR!!! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME!?!?!!!

ibyea

Banned
To sate megane fans? I know the Haruhi LN are finished so there is no merchandise to sell. I'm not sure if that is the same for the Nagato manga.

I'm wondering what happened because the books haven't ended yet. Looking at the schedule, the author took four years to release two books, from 2007 to 2011, and now nothing.

In my attempt to see if Crunchyroll had Steins;Gate. As I was scrolling through I saw School Days was on Crunchyroll. For some sadistic reason I had the urge to watch that show again. THE HORROR!!! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME!?!?!!!

Steins;Gate was originally on Crunchyroll from Kadokawa during the season it aired, but upon Funimation licensing it, they had to let it go once their rights expired for only Funi to have the streaming rights. It's on Funi's site as well as Hulu.

I'm wondering what happened because the books haven't ended yet. Looking at the schedule, the author took four years to release two books, from 2007 to 2011, and now nothing.

There's no technical ending, however the probability of enough novels being released to create any anime is incredibly low. Tanigawa just has lost his ability to write anymore. He's only put out two shorts of any form since 2011 (one Haruhi-related, one not).

In my attempt to see if Crunchyroll had Steins;Gate I was scrolling through to find it and I saw School Days was on Crunchyroll. For some sadistic reason I had the urge to watch that show again. THE HORROR!!! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME!?!?!!!

Steins;Gate is on Netflix and Funimation, in case you were wondering.

Also why would you want to do that? The boat wasn't that nice!

Jintor

Haruhi is still one of the few anime series I remember having a decent interesting 'narrator' and that role as a narrator being important.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan 01

I really can't take the style changes, especially for Kyon. What made they think that changing from this:

to this

is a good idea. It took all his personality away to insert a generic clueless main character.

It is not just the look, he also got hit by a dumb stick hard in this fanfic. If you put the new redesign character into the old anime, he would just sit in a corner and cry. I refuse to believe this is the same character.

I don't know what to say, I will continue to watch it, hoping that it'll get better. Please do.

Arslan Senki 01

This is the show based off the manga version of this series from the FMA author, which has me excited. I like how the setting is more Middle Eastern based rather than the typical Medeval European setting that these shows typically have. Also really like the characters just in the breif time that have been introduced.

The characters look like thr FMA characters put on different hair and clothes on lol

wonzo

Banned
new designs in the yuki-chan anime don't give me kanon 2002 ptsd flashbacks so it's already off to a good start

Cornbread78

That is a great and elegant way to put it, lol. I laughed through it because I don't have a little sister, so I have no idea how those intimate relationships work (not necessarily sexually, this is bro sis) in a family. He is right though, when you think about it, the director/author frames that whole scenerio, specifically, to get a varied response from each viewer and let's their imagination run wild with it. Simple, yet effective. ..

Jacob

The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan 1

I rarely watch shows week-to-week, but I occasionally make exceptions for stuff that looks really interesting or that is a follow-up to something I really enjoyed. Nagato Yuki-chan falls into the latter category: I adored The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya and the alternate reality scenes were some of my favorite parts of that film. I hadn't been blown away by the little of the spin-off manga that I'd read, but I was hopeful for this show.

Yeah, about that...

The first thing I noticed was the atrocious character designs. I mean, everyone is still recognizable, but they all look off and that bugged me throughout. I don't expect a TV show to look as good as a movie (especially one with the budget that Disappearance had), but I don't think the art here holds up well compared to the original Melancholy either. Not a good way to start off, but I wanted to give it a fair shot anyway.

The show throws us right into this new story with no context, so I'm not sure if the events of the movie still took place and Kyon just chose to stay in the alternate reality, or if this show is pretending that the original doesn't exist at all. Given how different the characters act, I'm leaning towards the latter. This Nagato does not act like either the OG Nagato or the alternate reality Nagato, which basically undercuts my main interest in watching this show. I could understand them maybe wanting to end with Yuki being more like this as she grows and becomes more human-like, but to begin like this just misses the point. If I wanted to watch a show about this kind of character, I'd be watching K-On! right now.

DTL is right about Kyon being much less cynical or entertaining. Haruhi Suzumiya always had its harem-esque elements but that's brought much more to the fore here and Kyon is much more your typical useless protagonist who stands around not doing much aside from occasionally interjecting something. Mikuru seems to be largely the same, but she wasn't all that interesting except for her adult version and when she talked about time travel stuff, which obviously isn't going to happen here. Haruhi and Koizumi have yet to make a real appearance. I will say that I liked seeing Asakura get so much screentime since she's one of my favorite minor characters, but her dynamic with Yuki is so different due to Yuki's personality changes.

I don't want to just harp on this show for being different from the original, but I think I was ready for that. Obviously the circumstances leading to the alternate reality sticking around meant things would be different from the original timeline. But I don't think it had to be as cheap-looking and generically-written as this. I'll probably give it another episode or two but it barely feels like the same characters here. I've read a lot of fanfiction that has a better grasp of the characters, and I have nothing against fanfic, but this isn't even a good example of it so far.

Midonin

Sailor Moon S 05-06

Naru and Milhouse are still relevant! And Motoki's little sister! Mostly lots of love-love and flirting, but I was sort of exposed to footage from episode 5 earlier, in a video that made a terrible toku-fandom injoke relating to Michiru/Michelle's first kiss with "Brad". Fun stuff, nothing too heavy,

ibyea

Banned
The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan 1

I rarely watch shows week-to-week, but I occasionally make exceptions for stuff that looks really interesting or that is a follow-up to something I really enjoyed. Nagato Yuki-chan falls into the latter category: I adored The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya and the alternate reality scenes were some of my favorite parts of that film. I hadn't been blown away by the little of the spin-off manga that I'd read, but I was hopeful for this show.

Yeah, about that...

The first thing I noticed was the atrocious character designs. I mean, everyone is still recognizable, but they all look off and that bugged me throughout. I don't expect a TV show to look as good as a movie (especially one with the budget that Disappearance had), but I don't think the art here holds up well compared to the original Melancholy either. Not a good way to start off, but I wanted to give it a fair shot anyway.

The show throws us right into this new story with no context, so I'm not sure if the events of the movie still took place and Kyon just chose to stay in the alternate reality, or if this show is pretending that the original doesn't exist at all. Given how different the characters act, I'm leaning towards the latter. This Nagato does not act like either the OG Nagato or the alternate reality Nagato, which basically undercuts my main interest in watching this show. I could understand them maybe wanting to end with Yuki being more like this as she grows and becomes more human-like, but to begin like this just misses the point. If I wanted to watch a show about this kind of character, I'd be watching K-On! right now.

DTL is right about Kyon being much less cynical or entertaining. Haruhi Suzumiya always had its harem-esque elements but that's brought much more to the fore here and Kyon is much more your typical useless protagonist who stands around not doing much aside from occasionally interjecting something. Mikuru seems to be largely the same, but she wasn't all that interesting except for her adult version and when she talked about time travel stuff, which obviously isn't going to happen here. Haruhi and Koizumi have yet to make a real appearance. I will say that I liked seeing Asakura get so much screentime since she's one of my favorite minor characters, but her dynamic with Yuki is so different due to Yuki's personality changes.

I don't want to just harp on this show for being different from the original, but I think I was ready for that. Obviously the circumstances leading to the alternate reality sticking around meant things would be different from the original timeline. But I don't think it had to be as cheap-looking and generically-written as this. I'll probably give it another episode or two but it barely feels like the same characters here. I've read a lot of fanfiction that has a better grasp of the characters, and I have nothing against fanfic, but this isn't even a good example of it so far.

Unfortunately a lot of the complaints you point out is right out of the manga. The source material was crap to start with.

Cornbread78

I'm assuming it's one and done, unless the series has inexplicably high sales and there are more novels coming out.

Just saw this.. Would be surprising if that was the case, since in the first episode, they already gave us an Outlook at the end of story.. Would kinda suck if they just didn't fill in the time line..

Defuser

Alright animeGAF, my friend is currently getting into anime. He tends to enjoy "dark anime with fighting and a tad bit romance" as he mention to me. Here are some anime he did enjoy: Sword Art Online, Ga-Rei Zero, Guilty Crown, Elfen Lied, Fate/Stay Night. I recommend to him Tokyo Ghoul and Parastyle. Any suggestions?
feel like animeGAF doesnt like some of his taste, but each their own! :)
Is it bannable if a person likes shit anime, I can recommend school days because it's equally shit?

The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan 01

I really can't take the style changes, especially for Kyon. What made they think that changing from this:

to this

is a good idea. It took all his personality away to insert a generic clueless main character.

It is not just the look, he also got hit by a dumb stick hard in this fanfic. If you put the new redesign character into the old anime, he would just sit in a corner and cry. I refuse to believe this is the same character.

I don't know what to say, I will continue to watch it, hoping that it'll get better. Please do.

Character design for this show based off from the manga character design.Shocking I know. Do you really want KyoAni's design of Kyon and Nagato or Asakura do weird or funny things that was seen on ep1 or even in Haruhi-chan? A different design sometimes help to differentiate the actual main show in terms of settings and plot.

And well it's alternative spinoff show focusing on Nagato of course Kyon wouldn't get internal monologue and perspective. Which make me think, is Kyon one half of the reason Haruhi is popular? Would it be still popular if Kyon is not around? Imo I don't think I can watch a Haruhi if Sugita is not around lol.

Jacob

Unfortunately a lot of the complaints you point out is right out of the manga. The source material was crap to start with.

That's disheartening but not particularly surprising. Oh well. :/

Character design for this show based off from the manga character design.Shocking I know. Do you really want KyoAni's design of Kyon and Nagato or Asakura do weird or funny things that was seen on ep1 or even in Haruhi-chan? A different design sometimes help to differentiate the actual main show in terms of settings and plot.

And well it's alternative spinoff show focusing on Nagato of course Kyon wouldn't get internal monologue and perspective. Which make me think, is Kyon one half of the reason Haruhi is popular? Would it be still popular if Kyon is not around? Imo I don't think I can watch a Haruhi if Sugita is not around lol.

Kyon is the main character of Melancholy and the Disappearance movie, so I'd be pretty surprised if he wasn't a big part of the reason for its popularity. ;) That said, I wasn't expecting him to be the main character here, and I'm okay with losing the monologues. I just wish that he (and Yuki) acted more like the versions of them in the movies. If they wanted to take the characters in a different direction, they could do that over the course of the season while exploring the differences in the new continuity. It seems they'll do the latter, at least.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Except AnimeSols is closing their doors at the end of the month.
Wow, really? I feel bad for that one guy who pops up on ANN once in a while. Too bad it didn't work out... but I hope they funded the rest of whatever people were looking forward to.

This week we have shipped out the final packages from Creamy Mami 3-4 and Black Jack 2 to supporters. As you may have noticed, Anime Sols has not added any new projects for quite a while, focusing only on completing the goods which had already been funded. It saddens me to say that animesols.com will be shutting down on May 1st, 2015. The videos will remain up until for the next month if you would like to watch them. Thanks to everyone who pledged!
Does that finish off those series?

I think the worst part about all of this is that all the old anime is going to be back to the purview of, well, the less than legal side of the internet.

Just saw this.. Would be surprising if that was the case, since in the first episode, they already gave us an Outlook at the end of story.. Would kinda suck if they just didn't fill in the time line..
I'm assuming that's why they did that episode 0 thing at all. They gave the show 13 episodes (an extra week), which is kind of unprecedented for the time block.

LegatoB

Does that finish off those series?

I think the worst part about all of this is that all the old anime is going to be back to the purview of, well, the less than legal side of the internet.
I believe Creamy Mami finished, but Black Jack would've taken five sets to complete. I don't think they ever ran funding drives for the other boxes. Hoping that since a lot of this stuff now has English scripts done, they'll at least license it out to stream on other services.

VRMN

That's disheartening but not particularly surprising. Oh well. :/

Kyon is the main character of Melancholy and the Disappearance movie, so I'd be pretty surprised if he wasn't a big part of the reason for its popularity. ;) That said, I wasn't expecting him to be the main character here, and I'm okay with losing the monologues. I just wish that he (and Yuki) acted more like the versions of them in the movies. If they wanted to take the characters in a different direction, they could do that over the course of the season while exploring the differences in the new continuity. It seems they'll do the latter, at least.
The manga this is based on is only loosely based on the Disappearance alternate universe. The author tried to put in the shy, quiet Yuki from the film and novel in here, but unfortunately you didn't really spend a lot of time with her in the film. There were a lot of holes to fill in and he did so with things that make her different from the canon Yuki. Like she's more into video games than books, she's a bit more goofy, etc. This is in part because of Yuki-chan's plot (it exists) and in part because this is supposed to be a lighthearted romcom and alt!Yuki wasn't exactly funny.

I like the manga's dynamics and they are loyally followed in the adaptation, Satelight is adhering to the manga, not KyoAni's designs, and I'm okay with that. They were hired to adapt the manga, not do their own spin on a human Yuki Nagato. Really the manga is more of a decently funny romcom that just so happens to use the settings, designs, and names from Haruhi as a baseline. It's not a sequel to the film, or an alternate ending thereof.

EDIT: Hah, I forgot this part. Tanigawa wrote the story for the Yuki-chan manga. So it's actually really hard to say that the version of Yuki in Yuki-chan isn't the Disappearance version expanded upon when it's literally the same guy writing.

So.... 30 Rock?

This has been happening frequently enough lately that I just wanted to throw out a friendly reminder: solicitation, discussion, and linking of pirated material is prohibited. This includes illegal streams, torrents, aggregators, fansub & sub group discussion, links to websites containing entire anime soundtrack albums magically for free, etc. Use common sense here. Discussion of legal, ethical, and economic implications of piracy is okay.

Basically, the section on piracy & copyrighted material in the Terms of Service applies here to anime as well.

i think we all learn our lessons early on lol

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
What are some good anime this season? I just resubbed my Crunchy Roll after not having watched anything last season either, and wanted some animes to watch and catch up on during my break right now.

The Heroic Legend of Arslan has great potential, outside of that, all the new stuff that has debut has been rather middling or downright divisive.

Quasar

Outbreak Company Episode 1

So let me get this straight; MC simply fills out an ad-type questionnaire filled with overly simple "anime" questions, gets offered job interview, goes to said interview, gets drugged, teleported to mysterious land, finds out he's been roped into being an ambassador for magical land discovered through a recently found super secret portal, told he needs to teach everyone in magic land "otaku culture" because he's an "expert," and with absolutely no experience or knowledge of the land will be meeting the Queen the following day? All because he filled out an online questionnaire correctly?

Eh, honestly, I think I prefer this over a more dragged out introduction. Gets straight to the point. Thanks to the quick pace, what probably would've been a boring episode was enjoyable. The MCs obsession with otaku stuff and being in a land that's basically a real-life version of it is comical, not to mention I have a soft spot for the modern-day-MC-gets-teleported-to-magical-land trope. Animation is nice, too. This could be a good show. Fingers crossed.

I quite enjoyed this show, though it suffers from a last 3 episode wrapup. Turned out a little bit more thoughtful than I expected.

I rewatched Metropolis (2001) last night, a film I had vague but fond memories of but hadn't seen in probably over a decade. The scope, detail and sheer beauty of the visuals are still dumbfounding. I was surprised to see that final image at the end of the credits, apparently it wasn't present in the DVD release I originally saw, and it does somewhat dull the bittersweetness that probably helped a lot in solidifying it in my memory.

What an unbelievably beautiful film though. Is there any material out there documenting its production? I'd love to get a look at some of the details behind its making. I think I'll be looking at some of Rintaro's other work in the near future.

Crocodile

With regards to the opening post, you should include shows that are still airing from last season in the simulcast listings and links to their OTs. For example Jojo still shows up every Friday.

TUSR

Banned
With regards to the opening post, you should include shows that are still airing from last season in the simulcast listings and links to their OTs. For example Jojo still shows up every Friday.

Are Ansatsu Kyoushitsu, Kuroko no Basket 3, and JoJo the only ones people care about or are there others?

I rewatched Metropolis (2001) last night, a film I had vague but fond memories of but hadn't seen in probably over a decade. The scope, detail and sheer beauty of the visuals are still dumbfounding. I was surprised to see that final image at the end of the credits, apparently it wasn't present in the DVD release I originally saw, and it does somewhat dull the bittersweetness that probably helped a lot in solidifying it in my memory.

What an unbelievably beautiful film though. Is there any material out there documenting its production? I'd love to get a look at some of the details behind its making. I think I'll be looking at some of Rintaro's other work in the near future.
Wait, what? *looks it up* My whole life has been a lie. That ending really got me as a kid. T_T

Midonin

Yuki starting made me want to relisten to her character songs. It served to remind me of just how good Minori Chihara's singing voice is, and also to prep for the character songs releasing for Yuki.

If they sound anything like these - it is still under Lantis, after all - I'll be fine. A show can be middling at best, but if it gives me good character songs, I'm pleased.

Sterok

Go Princess Precure 10

Called it. Op changes again. Oh yeah, there are collectables to be found. Shirogane better be a ninja. Poor Yui is abandoned already. Shades always make things better. Dream stuff blah blah blah. I knew Yui was going to discover their secret. Next up, the entire academy. They don't mind throwing around the Zetsuborg when Shirogane is inside it. Not very considerate. New toys. Oh hey, Dyspear is actually doing something. That's worth noting.

The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki 1

Christ that was unbelievably boring. So boring I can't believe KyoAni passed on it. Something so boring should be right in their wheelhouse. It really highlights just how important Haruhi and KyoAni were to the series. Without Haruhi, Kyon has just become the typical RomCom protagonist, and without KyoAni the show lacks the solid direction and animation that elevated the series beyond the source material. I don't think I'll be sticking around for this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom