• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously, I just can't help but feel like a studio, publisher or whoever is ultimately responsible doesn't respects its own IP enough when they...'whore out' their characters for crap like this.

I just don't (want to) believe that Shirobako needs this kind of merchandise to be profitable or...more profitable. Y'all will tell me it's still a reasonable thing to do and worth the otaku-bucks but man, I need to wtf at this.

once you give your ip to a corporation all bets are off forever

That isn't a giant corporation; that's one of the main producers' (Takayuki Nagatani) self-run company selling those dakis. It's pretty much as in-house as it gets for PA without being on their own store.

(Nagatani assists in getting companies for PA's original works; while not a direct member of the studio, he's pretty much an employee.)

Defuser

Gintama has always been self-deprecating. I mean it made so many jokes about being forced to change time slots over and over again.

ginweak11rlby9.jpg

ginweak225usne.jpg

Jarmel

Banned
Oh my god.

Animator expo short said:
"I can Friday by day!" by Kazuya Tsurumaki and Hajime Ueda

FLCL crew reunited. Now give me another TV series instead of Tsurumaki languishing in the EVA movies.

Defuser

Gintama ep 266

Holy shit, that apology, the coughing, washing of dirty laundry and Sugita's crying. And it's only 3 mins in.

RETURN OF THE KING.

I was worried since they changed directors but it turns out it's still the same Gintama.

RIN-NE 1:
This is roughly what I remembered from reading the first couple of chapters of the manga back when it started. I've been in the mood for some new Takahashi stuff, so this should do the trick nicely. The first episode does a good job at setting up the dynamic between the two leads and exploring the basic setup for the story.

Sound! Euphonium - 01

F7BSWe8.png

-This show makes me nostalgic as fuck. All these situations are realistic for a real band. The competitions, tears, emotions, rankings, a contrabass for a concert band... All there.
-Conducting animation didn't line up with the performance at the start. The one at the end did.
-The audio performance was as bad as Kumika thought it was lol. I'm glad they did bad studio recordings for the bad performances in the show. I don't know if normal people can tell or not, but yes, it was accurate. It was cool that they even got a fast-tempo piece closing conducting style correct for how you finish a piece for the Offenbach at the end.
-They actually took the time to say that a baritone and euphonium are different instruments.
-Dat tuner
-Dat background audio and general band room pre-rehearsal warmup
-Tuning the concert band with a b-flat from a b-flat clarinet (the audio was actually a b-flat too). Concert bands use this pitch compared to orchestras, which tune on A starting with an oboe moving from winds to strings, who then will tune all of their open strings accordingly.
-Dat 4th valve on the euphonium.
-Those performance markings on her sheet music.
-Those trombone slide positions!
-Sucking at trying to buzz in a mouthpiece for a beginner; The struggle is real for many newbies. I loved the learning how to buzz section. Though, using a V isn't the best method for a beginner lol. Making a tight circle with your thumb and pointer finger is way easier.
-Onee-chan is rocking a high-quality trombone. Dat trigger.
-I can't fucking believe they actually used an Alfred Reed arrangement/edit. Like holy shit. I performed that version for concert bands at least 6 times over my time as a performer. He's a prolific concert band arranger/composer. I'm really excited that they will be using legit concert band arrangements and compositions.
-Even their seating arrangements are spot on. It is odd to be using tiered podiums, though this could be a Japanese thing.
-Where are the french horns (which is supposed to be called just horn, for all you who don't know)? There are horns in concert settings.
-They have way too many saxophones lol. Like jesus.

This will probably be my favorite show this season on premise and art alone.

I played the alto sax when I was in school. I was impressed with the fact that the animation had the characters actually pushing on the right notes when they were playing there part. A lot of research clearly went into this. Looks to be a fun watch.

This season so far has really been delivering for anime.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I played the alto sax when I was in school. I was impressed with the fact that the animation had the characters actually pushing on the right notes when they were playing there part. A lot of research clearly went into this. Looks to be a fun watch.

I'll note that you are literally the first person I have seen exclaim this sentiment here.

I'll note that you are literally the first person I have seen exclaim this sentiment here.

Which one? There was a few there.

This season has some really great shows so far.

As for the note thing, that's what I observed. Than again I only play the saxophone, piano and guitar. They could be off with other instruments but I doubt it.

I don't know, I'm much more interested in this season than I was last season.

I mean yeah, we got the rest of Shirobako (which I plan to check out eventually) but we also got GBF TRY going downhill and the rest of Cross Ange.

Compared to those two, I'd say this season is showing some promise.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Which one? There was a few there.

This season has some really great shows so far.

As for the note thing, that's what I observed. Than again I only play the saxophone, piano and guitar. They could be off with other instruments but I doubt it.

The season has really great shows thing. Lot of disaffection going on at the moment.

Firemind

And to think, Ninja Slayer has yet to air!

this season is automatically worse since last season had Your Lie in April.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

I mean yeah, we got the rest of Shirobako (which I plan to check out eventually) but we also got GBF TRY going downhill and the rest of Cross Ange.

On the other other hand we got the rest of Log Horizon and we also got Death Parade. Still, the season is still early.

Enron

Banned

former sax player here too. Euphonium so far is the best thing out of this season's crop.

Kikirin

Sound! Euphonium 01

I don't really have much else to add to Thoraxes' impressions, but the nostalgia is pretty real for me with this.Will follow for high school concert band nostalgia.

Nah this season has been P good. Better than last season imo.

I mean I've only watched... five shows so far but they've all been pretty great for their first episodes: Plastic Memories, SNAFU, Sound, Fate, and Food Wars. None of them have been out right bad and that's more shows in a season then I tend to get hooked on.

Last season really was just wrap up of Parasyte and Your Lie in April for me. Two great shows... but only two.

The season has really great shows thing. Lot of disaffection going on at the moment.

Really? Seems like a pretty good season surprisingly. I say that because I wasn't expecting much from this season of anime.

And to think, Ninja Slayer has yet to air!

this season is automatically worse since last season had Your Lie in April.

Oh my goodness. I freaking loved Your Lie in April. It's in my top five in the moment and made me seriously reconsider Clannad's place as number 1 on my list. :O

former sax player here too. Euphonium so far is the best thing out of this season's crop.

Yeah its pretty great. I remember being nervous when my high school teacher many years ago wanted me to go from alto to tenor or baritone sax. Sigh... memories.

Jarmel

Banned
Ex-cornet player here. I was impressed with the details on the trumpets.

I want to see the girls clearing out the spit though.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gintama is back and new show from Chihayafuru/Nana director

stick to gaming side for being wrong all the time

L2dlXSp.gif

I honestly think it is too soon one way or another to say considering we are not even done with all of the premieres yet.

Midonin

High School DxD BorN 01

I know Funi has the covered up version, but finding the explicit version isn't very difficult, and can be done whenever. One reason why I think this is successful is because Issei, while sex-minded, is also very much about consent. And he also makes a dork of himself regularly - a sense of humility is often instilled in main characters for a reason. He's a good guy.

The main cast has grown by a lot since the first season, and this was a nice way to get reacquainted with everybody. The Hell Train reminded me of KingLiner, at least in color scheme. I've heard some interesting things about Koneko's sister, and am looking forward to seeing more of her in this season. It's what I remember, which is all I was looking for. So many factions. So much fanservice.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
It's not too soon to say a season is good if you liked the shows that have aired so far.

I would not agree to that either since everything is so fresh and new for the most part. Rolling Girls is still a very fresh and painful memory.

cajunator

Banned
Show by Rock!! is best first episode of this season so far.
Based Bones.

I know its amazing~!
I didnt know Bones made it. Is that true? So unlike anything else they make.

Hibike! Euphonium Episode 1:

I almost fell asleep watching this, another pass for me.

Shardy, you are silly but thats why I loves you.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
I WILL BUY ALL OF IT

this season i'm going to be watching

Owari no Seraph
Arslan Senki
Kekkai Sensen
and Shoukugeki no Soma

are there any other recommendations that are starting to air?

Show By Rock :)

What an interesting season. After Funimation appearing to take simulcasts seriously last season and really competing with CR, they seem to have given up already. Wonder what happened.did it not spike subs last season? Or is CR simply more aggressive after the shock of last season?

Funi is a dedicated licensing company but they are later to the streaming game than CR and not as much experience. Probably more difficult for them to achieve simulcasts.

Hey anime gaf, my first time posting in here... I think?

I used to be a cartoon snob, insisting the only anime worth watching was by Studio Ghibli or Satoshi Kon. Then less than a year ago I happened on the 2014 spring anime thread here and experienced the onset of strange urges and or cravings. I think I started with Katanagatari and then moved on to stuff from the spring season -- probably most of it, before getting into the crunchyroll back catalog.

I don't seem to be able to stop. Some personal favorites are Moribito, Silver Spoon, Usagi Drop and Toradora. Really looking forward to more Haikyuu as well -- that show snuck up on me and by the end I felt like a kid watching after-school cartoons every week.

I want to say thanks to the active community here -- the reviews and recommendations have been great over the past year and led me to a ton of gems I wouldn't have found or given a chance otherwise.

I think I've probably watched over 50 series at this point, and that's not counting the ones I abandon. Help me gaf!

Shirobako was the highlight of a pretty sparse winter season for me. It's one of the only shows I've quit after two minutes, and I only gave it a second chance because there was so little else to watch. Yona was fun too.

Welcome to the community!
If you have questions or need recommendations (and not troll ones) feel free to ask anytime!

I'm perpetually looking for more shows to watch, and I'll pretty much hunt anything down. Definitely interested in recommendations. Fantasy with realism, stuff with a lot of detail, and character centered dramas/comedies/romances with good dialogue are probably the things I naturally look for, but one contradiction I've learned: Don't judge a cartoon by its cover. I'll watch an episode or two of anything, there are a lot of shows I love I would have skipped otherwise.

Thanks for the welcome!

Have you seen Tsuritama or Steins Gate?

Hestia has taken over my twitter. It's all about the boob ribbon.

I definitely noticed this but she doesnt seem a remarkable character so Im not sure why she is so popular all of a sudden. Or is she just the latest set of twintails and boobs for otaku to latch onto?

Hello Kirino Mosaic - 01

Kirino mosaic has 2 things that make it stood out of the rest :
-Best proper english since dogdays S3
-Karen.

Just look at that karen stealing the show

I mean every character is excellent and after so many month the cast is again at the top of it's game.. But KM is something else ... a proper slice of life anime with comedy.. that doesn't go toward pandering.
Something simple yet effective. With a main couple that is so earnest , so pure in their desire that you can't hate them ..

YES !! That is Kirino Mosaic , now in "Hello" mode... it's as glorious as ever !!

Hello!
God this show and Show By Rock are the perfect pick me up after Plastic Memories drags me down.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Hasn't even been that long and I already forgot about Rolling Girls. What a forgettable show.

It started out with great promise and then just devolved into boring cliches and boring characters, it is a good showcase of why holding up a strong debut of something is not effective evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom