• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

Euphonium 1 - I liked episode 1. Reminded me of Tari Tari for some reason. Though no-one has a hat as awesome as Sawa. Guess I need another school music show that thankfully isn't an idol show.

Unsurprisingly I'm drawn to Asuka, in part due to her attitude.

Not sure what you're trying to say here, because surely you don't intend to mean that Kyoukai no Kanata of all things is the same as Sound! Euphonium.

Have you read Sound! Euphonium?

"Typical Kyoani"
It's not like i'm only one talking about this.
Well saying stuck in 2009 is not 100% right because at least they made Nichijou at 2011, too bad the sales is not very good in Kyoani standard.

Yes? though just fast reading. Btw did you thought i'm saying this show is some Okada-level shit? of course not.
And from the pace Kyoani maybe only adapt vol.1.

Quasar

No one is going to disagree with you.

Well I found it enjoyable. For me it was maybe the most enjoyable new show of that season, and I was disappointed it was only 10 episodes. And the lack of novel translations annoys me. Then again maybe the novels aren't any further along than the anime.

There's literally too much Hestia on my feed.

It's like the first time I've been bothered by animu posting...

Which I guess is good since that's less times I was bothered by that than general gaming shitposting.

Quasar

well one is shorter while the other is better. Gintama is an investment but unlike cars, the value only grows with each passing episode.

I just have trouble with it like other long shows. They are like MMOs. Unending and take time away from being able to sample lots of other short shows. Which is why if you look at my MAL, that aside from Macross, the longest (non short) show I've watched is 26. I'm just unwilling to watch older shows.

Which is kind of amusing given how I complain about anime that stop mid story.

"Typical Kyoani"
It's not like i'm only one talking about this.
Well saying stuck in 2009 is not 100% right because at least they made Nichijou at 2011, too bad the sales is not very good in Kyoani standard.

I wish KyoAni was stuck in 2009, or rather 2010-2012, because that's when they made their best productions. At any rate, I think any serious examination of KyoAni's shows will show that, despite all featuring high school characters, they are not just carbon copies of each other, for better or worse.

Yes? though just fast reading. Btw did you thought i'm saying this show is some Okada-level shit? of course not.
And from the pace Kyoani maybe only adapt vol.1.

Not having read Sound! Euphonium myself, I can only go by what people who have read it say. Ultimatemegax says there isn't a large romance component, you say there is, I don't know who to believe.

I wish KyoAni was stuck in 2009, or rather 2010-2012, because that's when they made their best productions. At any rate, I think any serious examination of KyoAni's shows will show that, despite all featuring high school characters, they are not just carbon copies of each other, for better or worse.

Not having read Sound! Euphonium myself, I can only go by what people who have read it say. Ultimatemegax says there isn't a large romance component, you say there is, I don't know who to believe.

By large is compare to Tari Tari(TT was almost none), if compare to normal standard, it's not so much, and you know Kyoani have big change of source material history, even though this time it's not Kyoani-LN series.

Aside from basic information about its crew - direction by Rintaro, animation by Madhouse, writing from Katsuhiro Otomo - I don't know a lot, other than the fact that it was an adaptation of the manga by Osamu Tezuka, and that it also drew strong inspiration, especially visually, from the extremely influential 1927 silent film of the same name. (The manga in question was inspired by but mostly different from OG Metropolis.) I suppose if you returned to the sources and read the Tezuka manga and the silent film it would make for interesting and illuminating comparisons.

Thanks! I really should watch the original Metropolis, I've only ever seen bits and pieces of it.

Anyway, everyone, especially fans of animation, should see this film. It's drop dead gorgeous.

Sorry for double post, but it's sad news so don't want to post in my previous reply.

Cocoa Fujiwara, mangaka of Inu x Boku SS passed away
http://www.oricon.co.jp/news/2051314/full/

RIP, she's only 31 years old...

RIP, and she's still too young.😔

It really sucks when a series is left open due to unexpected occurrences. I'm still sad about Kaze no Stigma not being able to ever finish with the Author's original vision. Such a good series.😞

Lain

Seraph of the End 1

Looks nice and appears to be interesting for a revenge story. I don't understand why the falling aereoplane in the first minute is cut on the Italian simulcast though.

Blood Blockade Battlefront 1

This appears cool too. Main kid seems a bit too wishy washy for my taste though. Hopefully he improves going forward.

Sound! Euphonium 1

This was actually quite good. Maybe there's hope for KyoAni to produce their 2nd quality show in the post-K-ON!! era.

has anybody here read the manga of the Inuyasha/Ranma author? Is she still banking that phat money on the 'will they won't they' plot point? I completely forgot an anime based off her work is this season and I'm curious if it's the same crap

The first mention of any kind of romance between the two leads first starts in about chapter 190something. :p

It's really more of a random supernatural happenings series, where most cases never last longer than a chapter outside of arcs which don't last that long either.

She basically drops all notion that there's an ongoing plot which really makes it more enjoyable since you aren't expecting something might finally happen next.

adixon

The most important question here is: have you seen Revolutionary Girl Utena?

Ok, I've never seen that and it looks like it could be really cool. Will definitely add it to my watch list.

How informed are you on "the classics"? Stuff like Cowboy Bebop, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Neon Genesis Evangelion and so forth?

Some people like to make a myanimelist or hummingbird account to keep track of all the stuff they've watched and how they felt about it. It also helps others to give recommendations at a glance.

Using a list site is a really good idea. One of those things I knew existed but hadn't actually considered doing for myself -- I've just been using a text file. Thanks!

I saw Akira and Cowboy Bebop a long time ago and enjoyed them both. Evangelion is high on my to watch list. I've watched a couple of current mech series over the past year but haven't seen any of the older series people talk about aside from Eureka 7 (which I really enjoyed) and Xam'd (which was beautiful and extremely promising with all the great characters in the beginning, especially the parents, but lost enough momentum for me that I stopped and haven't gone back to finish it).

I'm pretty sure I tried watching the beginning of Ghost in the Shell years and years ago and thought it was way too intentionally cryptic, but maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance (those were my snob years after all) and I might even have mistakenly started with a spinoff or sequel. I'll probably give it another shot at some point.

Jintor

RIP

It's funny because I loathe SAO with a fierce and angry passion but I think doing the weird slice of life thing was by far the most interesting part of SAO.

It kind of reminded me of Sandman (there's two series I never thought I'd mention in the same breath), with the main character not actually being the protagonist of most stories so much as the god-tier being showing up once in a while to resolve other people's short stories. Only it made perfect sense in Sandman and was just a matter of Kirito being a god-tier gary stu in SAO.

Link Man

Banned
ibnUfiIBoWx5EA.gif

I think I'm in love with YuruYuri.

Thoraxes

Sound! Euphonium - 01

F7BSWe8.png

-This show makes me nostalgic as fuck. All these situations are realistic for a real band. The competitions, tears, emotions, rankings, a contrabass for a concert band... All there.
-Conducting animation didn't line up with the performance at the start. The one at the end did.
-The audio performance was as bad as Kumika thought it was lol. I'm glad they did bad studio recordings for the bad performances in the show. I don't know if normal people can tell or not, but yes, it was accurate. It was cool that they even got a fast-tempo piece closing conducting style correct for how you finish a piece for the Offenbach at the end.
-They actually took the time to say that a baritone and euphonium are different instruments.
-Dat tuner
-Dat background audio and general band room pre-rehearsal warmup
-Tuning the concert band with a b-flat from a b-flat clarinet (the audio was actually a b-flat too). Concert bands use this pitch compared to orchestras, which tune on A starting with an oboe moving from winds to strings, who then will tune all of their open strings accordingly.
-Dat 4th valve on the euphonium.
-Those performance markings on her sheet music.
-Those trombone slide positions!
-Sucking at trying to buzz in a mouthpiece for a beginner; The struggle is real for many newbies. I loved the learning how to buzz section. Though, using a V isn't the best method for a beginner lol. Making a tight circle with your thumb and pointer finger is way easier.
-Onee-chan is rocking a high-quality trombone. Dat trigger.
-I can't fucking believe they actually used an Alfred Reed arrangement/edit. Like holy shit. I performed that version for concert bands at least 6 times over my time as a performer. He's a prolific concert band arranger/composer. I'm really excited that they will be using legit concert band arrangements and compositions.
-Even their seating arrangements are spot on. It is odd to be using tiered podiums, though this could be a Japanese thing.
-Where are the french horns (which is supposed to be called just horn, for all you who don't know)? There are horns in concert settings.
-They have way too many saxophones lol. Like jesus.

This will probably be my favorite show this season on premise and art alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom