• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
So what're the chances of a second season of Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun? I remember seeing lots of fanart on pixiv around the time it was airing, so it must've been popular to an extent, right? Please tell me that the BD's did well or the manga got a boost! A show that good not getting the recognition it deserves would be quite a downer.

not very good Im afraid. I hope Chiyo's seiyuu gets more work!

Oh wow, I've been off of AnimeGAF for a while now. Only thing I've been keeping up with is OreGairu, which I absolutely love at the moment. I've seen some Yamada-kun and Ore Monogatari as well, but other than that I haven't really been keeping up. What's been happening with you all? :)

Welcome!

hamchan

Wagnaria!! Seasons 1 and 2

I ended up liking this show. Not much to say since it's a light comedy but yeah, it was pretty good. I felt bad for Takanashi getting punched all the time, the poor guy. The second season didn't really have that much progress for the characters. The Takashima/Inami development is at the same place it was in season 1, same with Sato/Todoroki.

Good thing the next season (and presumably last since the manga is done?) comes out in like 1-2 months. Man it must have sucked to have no plotlines wrapped up in 2011 when the second season ended and having to wait 4 years.

So what're the chances of a second season of Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun? I remember seeing lots of fanart on pixiv around the time it was airing, so it must've been popular to an extent, right? Please tell me that the BD's did well or the manga got a boost! A show that good not getting the recognition it deserves would be quite a downer.

The committee likely recouped expenses spent and then some. It's quite possible to see another season made. This is one of the times I feel confident the finances would work out if there's enough source material. I saw a fair amount of gatchapon for the series (more than you'd expect) while I was in Akiba and Den Den Town last December and January. (Got something for a friend who loved the series when I saw a machine in Animate in DenDen)

Gunslinger sTRATOS -09

So everything i've predicted actually happenned ? I'm so clever /s

I guess the rule is that the only thing worse than 1 mad scientist that thinks he is right is 2 mad scientist that think they are right.

Aki-at

First time posting here, watching Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Assassination Classroom and Kekkai Sensen.

I just found out Kekkai has only got another 3 episodes thanks to the latest episode preview, man I was hoping this was going to be a 20+ series, looks like I'll have to be content with 12 ;_;

First time posting here, watching Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Assassination Classroom and Kekkai Sensen.

I just found out Kekkai has only got another 3 episodes thanks to the latest episode preview, man I was hoping this was going to be a 20+ series, looks like I'll have to be content with 12 ;_;

Welcome! What did you think of the latest JoJo episodes?

Anko

The main group is vivio, einhart, flying kick - chan and golem-chan... ( here easy to remember ).
Also there is going to have a fighting tournament, if they don't introduce the foes a little beforehand, there is no point to it.. Just remember, everyone not introduced in this episode is a SCRUB and doesn't deserve your attention.

It's a standard shonen tournament, really.
Ps: forget about fate, you won't see her kick-ass in vivid..

Nanoha had her moments. But Fate is really such a joke now.

Pretty sure they had a few more friends around. It's not much of an introduction the way they're going at it. It's all just touch and go.

Saudades

Seems like 1st season of Animator Expo is gonna be taken down tonight, and I still haven't watched most of it.
Any suggestions on what to pick and what not?

BBB 09
I swear at this point I'm just watching this because I have nothing else to watch. The backgrounds and style is great but that's not enough to make me enjoy a show.

sonicmj1

Seems like 1st season of Animator Expo is gonna be taken down tonight, and I still haven't watched most of it.
Any suggestions on what to pick and what not?

Things worth watching, in order of goodness:

20 Minute Walk from Nishi-Ogikubo Station
ME!ME!ME!
Yamadeloid
Carnage
Power Plant 33
Dragon Dentist
Tomorrow From There

ibyea

Banned
Things worth watching, in order of goodness:

20 Minute Walk from Nishi-Ogikubo Station
ME!ME!ME!
Yamadeloid
Carnage
Power Plant 33
Dragon Dentist
Tomorrow From There

Wait, why is Me! Me! Me! good? I watched and it was psychedelic as heck, but I am not sure I got anything out of it. Just curious what your thoughts are.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Wait, why is Me! Me! Me! good? I watched and it was psychedelic as heck, but I am not sure I got anything out of it. Just curious what your thoughts are.

If you read between the lines, you'll discover that ME!ME!ME! is actually pretty nuanced.

On a shallow level, it's about a guy who neglected his girlfriend (for reasons unexplained but there's many takes on this) and eventually breaks up with her. He deals with the breakup by submerging himself in idol-worship (which may have had something to do with the breakup in the first place). But at some point, he realizes how toxic his behavior is and tries to break out of the habit. Unfortunately, he fails, and the cycle begins anew.

On a deeper level, it's a criticism of otakus and the media they consume, especially the way it's commonly presented as something cute and fluffy and sexually chaste, but the levels of obsession involved is actually far worse than the presentation would lead you to believe (the girls turning red and demonic). Many of the more obsessive otaku struggle with fitting into every day life, not for lack of trying, but the addiction is too strong. It is simultaneously raising sympathy for otaku, as well as condemning their culture.

Of all the Animator Expo shorts, I think ME!ME!ME! is the only one with something to say. It's greatest weakness is the fact that it openly revels in the very thing it attempts to criticize, but I think its message is all the more poignant for that.

Diary of Ochibi is also really good.

Narag

Yurikuma Arashi 12 FIN

r2gMOWJl.png

Well that was an absurdly satisfying ending given how much I've appreciated the fairy tale elements.. Show ended up being one of those rare cases where the rough start gives way to marked improvement throughout. It's not perfect though and I wish it'd been given whatever runtime it was initially intended such to avoid the early missteps.

Theonik

Yurikuma Arashi 12 FIN

Well that was an absurdly satisfying ending given how much I've appreciated the fairy tale elements.. Show ended up being one of those rare cases where the rough start gives way to marked improvement throughout. It's not perfect though and I wish it'd been given whatever runtime it was initially intended such to avoid the early missteps.
Now watch it again and be amazed.

sonicmj1

Haly's thoughts more or less parallel my own. This was my initial impressions post from shortly after I watched the short. Between those two things I don't have much else to add.

ME!ME!ME!

This is the kind of fucking insanity that makes me glad Animator Expo exists.

ME!ME!ME! is an animated music video, a horror story, an indictment of otaku culture. A young man lies, sullen and empty on his bed, drowning his lost love in an oversexed haze of bishoujo figurines, impossibly sexy idols, breasts, fluids, video games, and violence, a cycle of alienation and loathing from which he can't escape.

ifze5mef7ugskcrq9t.jpg

This is just the tip of the iceberg.
It's aggressive, uncomfortable, transfixing, and horribly unsafe for work. It must be seen to be believed.

Haly

I completely disagree with this. Quite a few of the shorts had a 'message' such as Tomorrow From There.

I don't remember that one very well. I liked it but it was kind of dull.

sonicmj1

I completely disagree with this. Quite a few of the shorts had a 'message' such as Tomorrow From There.

The reason that one was at the bottom of my list was because when I saw the title, I struggled to remember what it was.

Then I was going to rewatch it but apparently "season 1" has already been taken down.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't remember that one very well. I liked it but it was kind of dull.

That one had to do with changing your perspective of everyday events and being content with what you have.

Kanon, Sex and Violence with Machspeed, and Power Plant 33 all had some underlying message.

I'm behind on the final bunch so there might be a few I'm missing too.

Haly

Sex and Violence with Machspeed

Yeah sure, "Imaishi is batshit insane". That was definitely the message I got.

I like Power Plant 33 a lot my impression of it, as well as for the other mech shorts, was "we did a music video for a nonexistent animay."

ibyea

Banned
If you read between the lines, you'll discover that ME!ME!ME! is actually pretty nuanced.

On a shallow level, it's about a guy who neglected his girlfriend (for reasons unexplained but there's many takes on this) and eventually breaks up with her. He deals with the breakup by submerging himself in idol-worship (which may have had something to do with the breakup in the first place). But at some point, he realizes how toxic his behavior is and tries to break out of the habit. Unfortunately, he fails, and the cycle begins anew.

On a deeper level, it's a criticism of otakus and the media they consume, especially the way it's commonly presented as something cute and fluffy and sexually chaste, but the levels of obsession involved is actually far worse than the presentation would lead you to believe (the girls turning red and demonic). Many of the more obsessive otaku struggle with fitting into every day life, not for lack of trying, but the addiction is too strong. It is simultaneously raising sympathy for otaku, as well as condemning their culture.

Of all the Animator Expo shorts, I think ME!ME!ME! is the only one with something to say. It's greatest weakness is the fact that it openly revels in the very thing it attempts to criticize, but I think its message is all the more poignant for that.

Haly's thoughts more or less parallel my own. This was my initial impressions post from shortly after I watched the short. Between those two things I don't have much else to add.

Thanks! Maybe I should go back and watch it again with this in mind.

ME!ME!ME! is about an otaku who has shit taste in anime and tries to get away, but the shit taste in anime wins at the end and he continues to watch like ecchi anime instead of glorious Fate Zero.

Haly

I wonder if it's ironic or fitting that ME!ME!ME! makes heavy use of sex to sell its statement.

Perhaps both?

ashot_jugg.gif

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

I like that one. the down to earth feeling and song really got me.

Great music, and the theme is about escapism and otaku culture in general.

imho it used it as both shock factor and to really sell its message. Doesn't make it any easier to get friends to watch it though.

"No dude I swear it's going to get really disturbing in a bit, I'm not a perverted anime guy I swear"

Jarmel

Banned
Yeah sure, "Imaishi is batshit insane". That was definitely the message I got.

Imaishi spelled that one out as directly as you can get. Sex dolls are people too.

But yes Imaishi is totally insane. His short in the Fall should be amazing to watch.

cajunator

Banned

i suppose im not truly obsessed with otaku things then because I have no trouble integrating into society. I have a room literally stuffed with things of the sort, yet I have a full work life, friends, good family relations, and no debt.
Maybe Im one of the lucky ones but anime has not destroyed my life it has enriched it.
that is the one criticism I have with Me!Me!Me!

Jarmel

Banned
The best part of ME!ME!ME! was seeing the Evangelion dolls attack their master. I'm sure Anno got a kick out of that.

Haly

i suppose im not truly obsessed with otaku things then because I have no trouble integrating into society. I have a room literally stuffed with things of the sort, yet I have a full work life, friends, good family relations, and no debt.
Maybe Im one of the lucky ones but anime has not destroyed my life it has enriched it.
that is the one criticism I have with Me!Me!Me!

Yeah, I don't think you qualify as one of ME!ME!ME!'s "targets". They're focusing on a very specific brand of socially dysfunctional otaku.

I liked the vomit hypnosis scene the most.

Jarmel

Banned
Show By Rock! 8-9
Have to say the music has been really good in this too. The guitar duet at the end of 8 was amazing. Plasmagica's new song near the end of ep 9 was damn good as well.
The scene at the end of 9 was dark as fuck. I didn't sign up for girls to be mentally raped like that.

BONES has done good work this season. If only duckroll was alive to finally see it. RIP.

Nanoha had her moments. But Fate is really such a joke now.

Pretty sure they had a few more friends around. It's not much of an introduction the way they're going at it. It's all just touch and go.

The main group is defintely those 4 ( soon 5) For the rest of the characters , you won't have much problem with them once the tournament arc ends since they will probably have enough screen time.

Also Fate, well ...fate is a gentle mama, , nothing else..joke character ? not really
underused ? sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom