• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grzi

Oh c'mon, I can't stand UBW whatsoever but that last gif Phaze posted with the ridiculously excessive spear animation is a looker and far above this really unimpressive bit from DanMachi. Shirobako's ep23 'fight towards the author' sequence would top that easily.

Cornbread posted a sped up 3 second gif of the fight. The entire scene looks amazing.

Here:

http://sakuga.yshi.org/data/f12e183ffbeac0e398cd173341acc68f.webm
http://sakuga.yshi.org/data/b795f305d30be2ed6670fa3573381cda.webm
http://sakuga.yshi.org/data/d122bc1c8fa4b2e59da08a22cea5dcc0.webm
http://sakuga.yshi.org/data/238138208ad76d74cd935821bfebb700.webm
http://sakuga.yshi.org/data/0f1ccd2c491ba52538315c1ebb830312.webm
http://sakuga.yshi.org/data/7ac70748e10de9bb1625e1ce78bbe377.mp4
http://sakuga.yshi.org/data/351df7f5c6adf2af1310c128516f8baf.webm

Cornbread78

Little Busters ep. 23-26:
OK, I'm done. I don't even know why I'm feeling sad right now. This is just the ending of Season 1 and there are a lot of things still unexplained in the storyline. Looks like S2 digs deeper in them, but that last episode digs hard at the feels for sure. Nothing dramatic, but it plays on the feels perfectly of growing up. I still can;t put my finger on why I appreaciate thsi shjow so much since it does nothing extroidinary, however, it calls to me and I'm addicted. I lied earlier when I said there isn't a "supernatural " element to this show, as there certainly is as I saw in Kud's
excape
last night. It's not ghostly or over the top, just little things. I'm sure it is all going to play out soon enough, but I don;t want the last 13 episodes to end....

latest

3128961_1358128576595.64res_500_279.jpg

OMG, the opening to S2 is so sad...

cajunator

Banned
Man, I really wanna watch Paranoia Agent again... it's among the best anime I've ever watched, episode 8 in particular being absolutely sublime. More people need to see it!

Paranoia Agent is magnificent. One of the better psychological thriller anime.

For all the talk I make about Kon...I still have yet to see this
and Tokyo Godfathers
D: Blu-ray any day now...

Whaaaat? Get on that man!

I think I told you the first anime I watched was Kimi ga Nozomu Eien. I believe the second anime I saw was Onegai Twins.

I started off with a bang.

Now your avatar makes sense!

javac

I never really see good action in anime, nothing has really matched the weight you feel in something like EoE for example, and the action scenes in something like GiTS are pretty fucking exhilarating, silent and short which works well in its favor, both with key animation by Mitsuo Iso so maybe there's a link there :p You have the spectacle (Gunbuster), nail biting stuff (Patlabor), so good action does exist, but I think when people talk about good action these days, to me it just looks like a bunch of balloons flailing around with lens flares and never really contain any of the above elements outside of the spectacle. No weight, no impact, no nuance, just "look at this guy get knocked through that building! Such power!" It actually reminds me of something like Man of Steel. Seriously, normally the small fights are the most exhilarating and nail biting. Two people fist fighting over a loaded gun, that type of intense shit, we need more shit like that! :p

javac

I legitimately don't know how to respond to that, you could be going either way (sarcasm etc)...but I'll take it that you're agreeing with me, because I have faith :p

cajunator

Banned
I never really see good action in anime, nothing has really matched the weight you feel in something like EoE for example, and the action scenes in something like GiTS are pretty fucking exhilarating, silent and short which works well in its favor, both with key animation by Mitsuo Iso so maybe there's a link there :p You have the spectacle (Gunbuster), nail biting stuff (Patlabor), so good action does exist, but I think when people talk about good action these days, to me it just looks like a bunch of balloons flailing around with lens flares and never really contain any of the above elements outside of the spectacle. No weight, no impact, no nuance, just "look at this guy get knocked through that building! Such power!" It actually reminds me of something like Man of Steel. Seriously, normally the small fights are the most exhilarating and nail biting. Two people fist fighting over a loaded gun, that type of intense shit, we need more shit like that! :p

watch Read or Die
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEgiKVHtKEA

Arcadius

Banned
Toradora!

Episode 1 - This is going to be a fantastic show I can tell, will gobble this one up! Aisaka is definitely pretty intense and Ryuuji, what a face, that's just great. Amazing first episode with great humor, can't wait to watch the rest!

Jarmel

Banned

You have got to be kidding me.

phaze

UBW is not even close animation wise. The sense of weight and the way every move has a purpose and can be clearly seen in the DanMachi fight makes the UBW fights between Lancer and Archer seem like two guys just randomly waving their weapons really fast at each other.
Sorry.

Not to mention DanMachi is a much better show.

I don't think the weight here or lack of it is the matter of animation quality but of the simple fact that the two shows, because of in-universe power differences, set out to achieve very different things.

I must vehemently disagree with the notion that they're just waving their weapons. Look at Lancer closely, there is nothing random about his moves, his positioning and his attacks. IMO the choreography, timing of UBW fight blows away Danmachi out of the water. The fact that they don't feel the need to go in to slow mo everytime they exchange the blows, to either pad the length or feed the choreography to the viewer with a spoon only adds to the dynamism of the fight. The few, too fast to follow exchanges also give you great a look at the speed of these people. The gifs I posted left out some of the better bits of the fight as well so I would recommend watching it in full
sakugabooru
glory.

As for your spoiler, perhaps, though after the first episode of "Is it wrong to have a premise that makes absolutely no sense ?" I sincerely doubt it.

None of the above should be taken to mean I consider UBW a good show.

cajunator

Banned
Show by Rock episode 9

You either win or you
get your music crystal things tainted.

Shades of Madoka Magica right there.

No doubt, it's on my to watch list, very excited to watch it. I've been meaning to watch them both for multiple years in fact, surprised I manage to stay spoiler free of this stuff :p I have the UK Perfect Blue CE BD and the LE Japanese set, with a lenticular cover, both are pretty nice. Pick up the BD asap, I hope you enjoy it :)

Im hoping for a Millennium Actress bluray. I would probably buy at least two copies in celebration.

Oh my goodness, Fomoffu looks incredible!

You have no idea. You should watch all of Full Metal Panic because its really good. Tessa is the best girl.
Fumoffu is legit hilarious and amazing.

javac

Pretty interesting, I'll give it a look, but to be brutally honest, it's still not really what I'm aching for from an anime, I guess I just don't like supernatural/power stuff, or not looking for it at this junction in time. Just two dudes smashing each others face as they tumble down a staircase fumbling over a gun, like some crime/drama shit, as vivid as a picture it is, hopefully paints a picture of what kind of 'aesthetic' I'm looking for. Monster probably doesn't contain such scenes haha, but it does look like something I'd enjoy. A slow, brooding, methodical, grounded show. Hopefully I'm on the money there, its a long show.

Cornbread78

Toradora!

Episode 1 - This is going to be a fantastic show I can tell, will gobble this one up! Aisaka is definitely pretty intense and Ryuuji, what a face, that's just great. Amazing first episode with great humor, can't wait to watch the rest!

Oh, this is a really good one! Thsi is a crazy ride throughout...

cajunator

Banned
So how many people here are gonna back the Otaku no Video kickstarter tomorrow?

I dunno. First I have heard about it. Or else I dont remember. Is it for a bluray release?
I already had it on VHS and now on DVD.

Toradora!

This show has moments of true frusdtration but its worth it. Taiga is a little..well tiger, but she is the sweetest little thing once she softens up too.

Arcadius

Banned

Ahaha, I heard it was. Really glad to watch it.

Won't update on a per episode basis, since that's not how I do thing, but I already love what I've seen!

This show has moments of true frustration but its worth it. Taiga is a little, well tiger, but she is the sweetest little thing once she softens up too.

She most definitely is a tiger! She's definitely sweet though, two episodes in and I don't want to stop, that's for sure. No idea what the show is actually about, but right now it's funny, cute and most definitely entertaining. Heck, my heart is already feeling soft and squishy as she tried to
confess

Grzi

I don't think the weight here or lack of it is the matter of animation quality but of the simple fact that the two shows, because of in-universe power differences, set out to achieve very different things.

I must vehemently disagree with the notion that they're just waving their weapons. Look at Lancer closely, there is nothing random about his moves, his positioning and his attacks. IMO the choreography, timing of UBW fight blows away Danmachi out of the water. The fact that they don't feel the need to go in to slow mo everytime they exchange the blows, to either pad the length or feed the choreography to the viewer with a spoon only adds to the dynamism of the fight. The few, two fast to follow exchanges also give you great a look at the speed of these people. The gifs I posted left out some of the better bits of the fight as well so I would recommend watching it in full
sakugabooru
glory.

As for your spoiler, perhaps, though after the first episode of "Is it wrong to have a premise that makes absolutely no sense ?" I sincerely doubt it.

None of the above should be taken to mean I consider UBW a good show.

I've watched the fight many times, and I never said I consider it bad I just think DanMachi's fight is better. Lancer's movements are really well done, but I still think the fight would benefit from being slowed down, at least at certain points. The bigger problem for me is Archer, whose movements always seem to lack the sense of exaggerated motion, there's a lack of expressiveness in the way he's animated most of the time. I think it has something to do with his design, or the design of his weapons, which don't allow the animators to express motion in a satisfying way.
The dual wielding guy from Owari no Seraph for example (I can't be bothered to check his name) seems to suffer from the same problem which is obvious from the opening of the show. While other characters' attacks look really good, his movements are kind of stiff.

javac

You have got to be kidding me.

I have no idea what I said that was so unbelievable or crazy, so I'm kind of proud of myself for baffling you there. Beats me. I just think action in anime generally skews to one side of the coin, that being very flashy, not always of course, and I even listed a few examples of films/series that had great, believable, subdued action sequences, and that's fine, but its generally more spectacle for the eyes these days, (and hell even in the past!) with no weight both in a physical sense or when it comes to the stakes, at least that's how I feel. Obviously, the truth is I don't believe that's all there is, and that's where examples that prove otherwise are generally given, but whatever, I'm obviously taking crazy!

cajunator

Banned

Won't update on a per episode basis, since that's not how I do thing, but I already love what I've seen!

She most definitely is a tiger! She's definitely sweet though, two episodes in and I don't want to stop, that's for sure. No idea what the show is actually about, but right now it's funny, cute and most definitely entertaining. Heck, my heart is already feeling soft and squishy as she tried to
confess

Dat ED
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGSi3Ena1is

Jarmel

Banned
I have no idea what I said that was so unbelievable or crazy, so I'm kind of proud of myself for baffling you there. Beats me. I just think action in anime generally skews to one side of the coin, that being very flashy, not always of course, and I even listed a few examples of films/series that had great, believable, subdued action sequences, and that's fine, but its generally more spectacle for the eyes these days, (and hell even in the past!) with no weight both in a physical sense or when it comes to the stakes, at least that's how I feel. Obviously, the truth is I don't believe that's all there is, and that's where examples that prove otherwise are generally given, but whatever, I'm obviously taking crazy!

I'm sorry but I find this to be such a stupid complaint. First you're taking as an example one of the best mecha sequences done by one of the best animators for a movie that had a ridiculously high budget. That's like complaining about why don't all action films have a sequence as good as the Cyberdyne raid in Terminator 2.

Second is the off-hand dismissal of quite a number of great animators because they don't fit your criteria of having enough weight, something that changes drastically depending on a multitude of factors. Yes weight is important, one of the most important factors, but that doesn't make or break an animation sequence.

Third, look at the types of mechs being animated. There aren't many contemporary examples of say Big O. Mech designs, from what little is animated in 2D now, are more focused on speed.

Fourth, there are numerous recent examples of close range fighting sequences that have weight and impact. I mean Sword of the Stranger and Sacred Star of Milos wasn't that long ago.

Dandte

woah guys you postet so much :D
Cencoroll, Tsuritama. Art style wise these are the closest I can think on to the pastel, minimalist look of Hosada.
Cencoroll: oh a short movie, looks promising, although the promo poster for teh second looks strange...like rly rly strange oO
Tsuritama: wait what, an anime about fishing? art style looks good, a fine mixture of colorful and minimalistic...i like the goose.
Maybe take a look at Shin Sekai Yori / From the New World.
i often read this name, it's my halloween anime this year :)
I think you might also like Uchouten Kazoku.
it looks a little bit childish to me, but i will give it a try :)
That one is perhaps a bit too dark color palette.
i have high hopes for that one, although their faces are creeping me out
may b try Ano Natsu de Matteru.

idk, the picture you're posting looks like a lot of j.c. staff/a-1 stuff to me. those are dangerous catalogues to explore tho.
it's on my watch list. the art style of it is fine, but a little bit to let's say state of the art? i'm more into not so crisp lines etc.
The picture is from shigatsu kimi no uso. I must look like a ambivalent idiot, but i really really like the artstyle of it, it's so over the top colorful, and yes it's from A1.
The Pic above was only one frame, but it reminded me how much i like these both art styles, and now i'm on teh hunt for more.
If you're going to watch an Satoshi Kon movie you need to watch Perfect Blue. Great movie although there are some disturbing scenes.
Yep i figured this out while reading all your post. I remember me watching perfect blue aroudn 2001 but no memories and maybe at htat point i wasn't the right target grp
Well, I'm halfway through ep. 10 and screw him, he's a mindless dink.

EDIT: this show is getting annoying fast.... 3 episodes left.
i actually liked wa2 , but i'm a sucker for over the top drama. Team Toma! if you are interested, the story isn't over yet :)
It was good but kinda boring, oc it was a nice little comedy with lovely chars but i wouldn't say it's the king of the genre like many others, but thats just me.

For Minimalistic/pastel looking anime, a while ago i started Beck. I really like music anime , another + for wa2 (^^) but the engrish killed it for me, i shoudl give it another try.

Nor for some shigatsu wa kimi no uso Ep 1-11

Where is the goddamn drama? Ok our mp has a sad past. His old female friend is into him, he likes blondie and confess to her. Blondie knows she is sick, and mutters to herself, that she won't will be able to protect him forever.
Speculations: They will get together, shw will become sick, maybe dies...nah this isn't happen anymore. I can't really see where this anime is heading up to. I was expecting more drama. But i have a lot of ep left.

Big Plus point is the artstyle and the music aspect, it looks so gorgeous <3 Chars are really funny and understandable

Another anime i liked from the last Seasons was Durarara and Death Parade, both looked marvelous and Death Parade ha an awesome topic.
My only Problem right now is, that there was'nt a good love/drama anime in the spring season and there won't we be good one in the summer. How can i satisfy my lust? I properly watched every drama/slice of life/ love anime out there. Except Clannad...this faces >.<

Maybe i will rewatch Kimi ga Nozomu Eien <- recommendation

Cornbread78

I can't wait to see how you feel about the ending honestly. Can't wait..

Did anyone else feel nervous watching Little Busters refrain? I have such an unsettling feeling watching it...

Cornbread78

i actually liked wa2 , but i'm a sucker for over the top drama. Team Toma! if you are interested, the story isn't over yet :)

Yeah, I'll have to read the rest so I can grasp what they were trying to do with the ending. It really didn't make much sense the way they ended it. I really don't like reading that much and who knows where I can find the LN in English, but it may be worth it? Yeah, after the last couple episodes, I found myself on her side, but the execution was so meh and his wishy washy Ness up to the end was piss in me off, lol.

javac

I'm sorry but I find this to be such a stupid complaint. First you're taking as an example one of the best mecha sequences done by one of the best animators for a movie that had a ridiculously high budget. That's like complaining about why don't all action films have a sequence as good as the Cyberdyne raid in Terminator 2.

You see, you could have just said that in the first place :p I mean, I never insinuated that I wanted something of that calibre at all, I'd be a fucking huge moron for asking of such, and to be fair I wouldn't want such even if I could have it. I mean, unless you want to point out where I asked for such a request, I'd happily put my hands up.

All I said is, these examples that I went for generally go for the more intimate route, Patlabor was a TV series (the best mind you) and I don't want Patlabor 2.0, Patlabor is Patlabor because of everything that surrounded it, and it&#8217;s a product of its time and a product that only the people who worked on it could have ever conjured up. But again, the action as such is subdued and retrained, grounded even for a mecha series, and I'm just in the mood for something like that right now against all of the ridiculously over engineered scenes you get in a lot of series. Again, I used the word &#8216;a lot&#8217; and I'm generalizing, and that's the point, I've been accustomed to think that way. I love it, I mean fucking god damn love it when I'm proven wrong and I see something that defies my expectations.

In any case, I'm not talking about the &#8216;quality&#8217; of the animation or visuals, because the quality of the visuals isn't something I have an 'issue' with in this case (if it&#8217;s an issue at all). It could be stick men for all I care, I'm just really in the mood for a gritty, 'realistic' action series, and referenced the only ones that had previously whet my appetite.

In fact it&#8217;s not even that they even don't exist as much as what I see touted as great action never really interests me, and I do believe that people who find such scenes to be to their taste should savour them and enjoy them, but I'd like it if I could find something that was more up my alley too.

I think you just took what I was looking for a bit too literal, and that's my fault, for being very direct in the way I say things, and to be fair that's because I saw gifs/webms above and thought that I'd bring up the topic of action in anime and the &#8216;hardships&#8217; I face trying to find some of a particular style. I could have just said "Anybody knows of any cool action series/films?" and maybe saved you time, but I thought that I'd try to express (poorly) what I'm missing from anime. While writing I guess I had some scenes from films in my head, your Jackie Chan films, and even stuff like the stairwell fight in casino royale which isn't particularly good, and such a random scene, but it was on my mind regardless for some reason.

Okay so let&#8217;s rewind the clock, and let me rephrase myself. Do any anime series/films fall into that style of action? No ninja&#8217;s or magic, or robots, just fisticuffs, blood, sweat and tears? I have the Sword of the Stranger Blu-ray and that&#8217;s supposed to be excellent, and this is the reason why I tracked down such a rare Blu-ray in the first place, because I&#8217;ve heard good things.

Anyways, whatever, forget this convo.

cajunator

Banned
realistic action? Like Noir?
Although that isnt much for "action"

Oh wait a minute. You might be just the person to enjoy Kaze No Yojimbo!

cajunator

Banned
Definitely watch Kaze No Yojimbo if you just want fisticuffs and rowdiness.
Its the story of a man who journeys to a small town in search of someone from a past train incident. He runs into two fighting factions of mafia families and gets personally involved, usually knocking some heads together.
Its basically exactly what you want I think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSObsILJ3hY

lol the music in that trailer

This music is killing me. Holy shit.

Animator Expo 3rd season seemingly confirmed for July. I thought they were taking a break after the 2nd season.

yj50121.png

ns46UAc.jpg

More trailers, cool

Go watch Sword of the Stranger.

Seriously, there are tons of things to watch that have great fights.

Sword of the Stranger, the 90s JoJo OVA, tons in Bebop, the King Bradley fights in FMA Brotherhood, lots of fights in HxH '99 and '11, mainly Kurapika vs Uvogin and Netero vs Mereum, lots of matches in Ippo, Mami vs Homura in Rebellion... Even Naruto gets some pretty cool fights sometimes, worth watching. The Kakashi vs Obito one was really cool.

Hell I would even say things like Kaiji, Akagi and the D'arby matches in JoJo count as "fights" but they are more like battles of the mind.

That DanMachi fight is pretty neat but it's not anything super special, I think SAO II had some better fights then that.

Arcadius

Banned
I can't wait to see how you feel about the ending honestly. Can't wait..

Haha, won't be long until you find out!

Yes it's fantastic! The music is so amazing!

Amazing.

Tsuritama: wait what, an anime about fishing? art style looks good, a fine mixture of colorful and minimalistic...i like the goose.

Tsuritama is super interesting, really great fun with a nice story to go with it. Art style is eye explodingly bombaciously colorful and it looks amazing because of it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So watch Fumoffu before second raid? I already saw the first season.

Yeah, but Fumoffu is like 10 times better than either 2nd Raid or the first season. I mean, its not even the same thing (since its the comedy season), but its awesome.

javac

Definitely watch Kaze No Yojimbo if you just want fisticuffs and rowdiness.
Its the story of a man who journeys to a small town in search of someone from a past train incident. He runs into two fighting factions of mafia families and gets personally involved, usually knocking some heads together.
Its basically exactly what you want I think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSObsILJ3hY

lol the music in that trailer

Hah this is actually in my plan to watch list, so even if I'm not very good (at all) at explaining myself, I guess I was on the right track internally. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll bump it up on my watch list now. The intro is pretty cool and gave off the vibes that I was looking for so I'm glad you reaffirmed that this may be what I'm look for. Sounds really interesting!

Go watch Sword of the Stranger.

Will do! Probably this Friday night I'll stick the Blu-ray on and give it a whirl.

cajunator

Banned
Hah this is actually in my plan to watch list, so even if I'm not very good (at all) at explaining myself, I guess I was on the right track internally. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll bump it up on my watch list now. The intro is pretty cool and gave off the vibes that I was looking for so I'm glad you reaffirmed that this may be what I'm look for. Sounds really interesting!

Will do! Probably this Friday night I'll stick the Blu-ray on and give it a whirl.

I actually like Kaze No Yojimbo and probably the only person in my state to own the DVDs lol. It has one of the lowest budgets for an anime Im fairly certain. Not a looker in that department. However the story and characters are pretty solid and the lead character is a rugged normal everyday hero sort. He doesnt have special abilities or skills, just likes to fucking throw down with people. Like a Florida man. He has a sarcastic wit too.

javac

Seriously, there are tons of things to watch that have great fights.

Sword of the Stranger, the 90s JoJo OVA, tons in Bebop, the King Bradley fights in FMA Brotherhood, lots of fights in HxH '99 and '11, mainly Kurapika vs Uvogin and Netero vs Mereum, lots of matches in Ippo, Mami vs Homura in Rebellion... Even Naruto gets some pretty cool fights sometimes, worth watching. The Kakashi vs Obito one was really cool.

Hell I would even say things like Kaiji, Akagi and the D'arby matches in JoJo count as "fights" but they are more like battles of the mind.

Thanks for the recommendations, Sword of the Stranger is high on my priority now, I loved the action in Bebop too, that goes without saying really. Didn't like the Vicious episodes really, but episodes such as Waltz for Venus are my favorites in the entire series, and it funnily enough had some cool action! Win-Win.

Didn't think JoJo would have what I'm looking for action wise, I'm not a fan of what I've seen of JoJo from a cursory glance, but being just that, a cursory glance and this being the older series, I guess I'll look into it! I have no idea about FMA:B, same goes for HxH when it comes to action, but regardless both those series look amazing. Does Baccano have a decent amount of action? I got bored mid way through the first episode a while back (a first for me!), but my brother said it was due to me watching it subbed. I need that damn Blu-ray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom