• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.

javac

I remember someone was arguing that it was all intentional, in that it wasn't so much due to budget but more 'artistry'.

I don't buy it.

Either way, the end result is the greatest anime ending that takes a dump on any other anime from a great height, so all's well that ends well :p

If it means anything, everything was actually colored in shades of grey by hand and filmed normally rather than what they usually do, which is color it and then shoot it in black and white.

Also there's two versions of episode 6,
one that returns to color at the end and the alternative version that stays monochrome all the way through.

Narag

Someone finally listening to my recommendations.
And it took bulying zach into watching it and him recommending it before any of you actually watched it. Hidoiiiii

Looking back at the first epiisode impression post, it was a three year project!!

(07-17-2012, 01:25 AM)

Dandte

Anime Gaf i need your help.
I really really love this minimalistic art style/ pale look.
RFT3fGN.jpg
Also Mamoru Hosoda is one of my fav. directors and the ar style in his movies ist just gorgeous.

Can you name me other directos or anime that have a smilar art style?

Quasar

Kind of amused that at the same time Anohana gets pulled from CR and Hulu it appears on Hanabee streaming for us aussies.

wonzo

Banned

Also Mamoru Hosoda is one of my fav. directors and the ar style in his movies ist just gorgeous.

majin bone

cajunator

Banned

Shinkai's works, Satoshi Kon, the anime Somedays Dreamers, Aoi Hana

lonely

Cencoroll, Tsuritama. Art style wise these are the closest I can think on to the pastel, minimalist look of Hosada.

Maybe take a look at Shin Sekai Yori / From the New World.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think you might also like Uchouten Kazoku.

javac

Art work for UK release of the first two Madoka films:
This limited edition Blu-ray box set includes a rigid artbox designed by character designer Junichiro Taniguchi. Bonus Features include: Textless Opening and Ending Theatrical Trailers TV Commercial Collections 16 Page Booklet

Dandte

majin bone
Animation looks decent, but i need story. i will watch the first two eps :)
Shinkai's works, Satoshi Kon, the anime Somedays Dreamers, Aoi Hana

Shinkai's works:

I liked
The Place promised in our early days and
5 Centimeters per Second

allways wanted to see The Garden of words

Satoshi Kon:

I liked
Paprika

Looks like he did a lot with Studio Madhouse, definitive a plus!

Somedays Dreamers

looks interesting, i like dramas.

Aoi Hana

allways wanted to watch this

Thanks a lot guys!

Edit: yay more replies, i will read them when i'm home! thanks in advance!

Cornbread78

White Album 2 ep. 1-4
Ugghh, I can already see where this one is going. You have a wishy washy MC and two girls that will become an anoying love triangle and it will all be a mess until they reunite to play the song at the festival. Did I miss anything else obvious guys? Well, you guys did tell me this one would piss me off, so it cannot have a happy ending and some crazy $hit must happen as well, so...

cajunator

Banned
Animation looks decent, but i need story. i will watch the first two eps :)

Shinkai's works:

I liked
The Place promised in our early days and
5 Centimeters per Second

allways wanted to see The Garden of words

Satoshi Kon:

I liked
Paprika

Looks like he did a lot with Studio Madhouse, definitive a plus!

Somedays Dreamers

looks interesting, i like dramas.

Aoi Hana

allways wanted to watch this

Thanks a lot guys!

Edit: yay more replies, i will read them when i'm home! thanks in advance!

Anytime!

Quasar

White Album 2 ep. 1-4
Ugghh, I can already see where this one is going. You have a wishy washy MC and two girls that will become an anoying love triangle and it will all be a mess until they reunite to play the song at the festival. Did I miss anything else obvious guys? Well, you guys did tell me this one would piss me off, so it cannot have a happy ending and some crazy $hit must happen as well, so...

That would be spoiling.

Cornbread78

That would be spoiling.

yeah, festival is in ep.6, so lots of crazy $hit to go down soon..uugghh. I mean, still 6 more episodes of drama to follow and the girls both know how they feel about his, so...

EDIT: If only you were a boy huh? Dammit, where is this going?

Mandelbo

Has anyone seen Princess Jellyfish? It's something that's been vaguely on my radar for a while, and there's a really cool looking collector's edition on amazon for less than £30! That's a steal if it's any good!

Theonik

Has anyone seen Princess Jellyfish? It's something that's been vaguely on my radar for a while, and there's a really cool looking collector's edition on amazon for less than £30! That's a steal if it's any good!
Only seen the start but it seemed interesting.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world

may b try Ano Natsu de Matteru.

idk, the picture you're posting looks like a lot of j.c. staff/a-1 stuff to me. those are dangerous catalogues to explore tho.

cajunator

Banned
Alright, why is it so good? I know very little about it.

Its a really cute story. Kind of difficult to explain what I love about it really because its quite unique. A shy nerdy girl with a love for jellyfish lives in a apartment building with other otaku . She meets a pretty lady who turns out to be not exactly what she appears and they kind of team up to try and save the apartments from being torn down. In the process she learns about being accepted and looking beyond appearances to see personalities. Its very shoujo.

Cornbread78

White Album 2 ep. 5-8:
Ok, the seeds are already sewn on how they are goign to mess with teh new boyfriend/girlfriend thing here. The MC is a terd for sure, so you can already see it coming. It hasn't been a bad show as of yet, but you can feel in the tone that something is coming up.... See you guys at the end...

If you're going to watch an Satoshi Kon movie you need to watch Perfect Blue. Great movie although there are some disturbing scenes.

Mandelbo

Its a really cute story. Kind of difficult to explain what I love about it really because its quite unique. A shy nerdy girl with a love for jellyfish lives in a apartment building with other otaku . She meets a pretty lady who turns out to be not exactly what she appears and they kind of team up to try and save the apartments from being torn down. In the process she learns about being accepted and looking beyond appearances to see personalities. Its very shoujo.

Alright, thanks for the info.

If you're going to watch an Satoshi Kon movie you need to watch Perfect Blue. Great movie although there are some disturbing scenes.

Just rewatched Paprika this afternoon and it's just as amazing as when I first saw it! Susumu Hirasawa's scores compliment Kon's work so well - I really need to get round to watching Perfect Blue at some point, I've had my eye on it for quite a while.

cajunator

Banned
Alright, thanks for the info.

Just rewatched Paprika this afternoon and it's just as amazing as when I first saw it! Susumu Hirasawa's scores compliment Kon's work so well - I really need to get round to watching Perfect Blue at some point, I've had my eye on it for quite a while.

Watch Perfect Blue AND Millennium Actress then.

White Album 2 ep. 5-8:
Ok, the seeds are already sewn on how they are goign to mess with teh new boyfriend/girlfriend thing here. The MC is a terd for sure, so you can already see it coming. It hasn't been a bad show as of yet, but you can feel in the tone that something is coming up.... See you guys at the end...
I liked this one, I remember watching it as it aired. I'm desensitized to thick, block headed MCs in romantic shows already, so that wasn't a big deal lol. Tons of drama for sure though.

cajunator

Banned
I liked this one, I remember watching it as it aired. I'm desensitized to thick, block headed MCs in romantic shows already, so that wasn't a big deal lol. Tons of drama for sure though.

You can get really really really tired of those quickly.
There are so many useless MC's

javac

Not a massive fan of Parika. Make no mistake, when looking at it from a film-making perspective, its super intricate with many layers, from the scene transitions, using match cuts to transition from one dream to the next etc. The film itself however lost me half way through and it felt like way too much for me. I think the opening scene is the best thing in Paprika, showing off all of these filming techniques with that beautiful soundtrack. Perfect Blue and Millennium Actress on the other hand? Phenomenal. His films deserve more credit then they get, one of the best filmmakers in the industry to have ever lived.

Koi Kaze - 13 [Finale]

This anime is merciless.

I can empathize with Koshiro but he continuously makes decisions I cannot sympathize with whatsoever and at the end of episode 12 he struggles enough to go off the deep end (he accepts the relationship, kisses her and they even have sex later that night). This and other decisions rarely felt predictable as he was always struggling so hard making a decision and it could go either way, so the tension was immense and I was constanly hoping for him (and Nanoka to a lesser degree) to do the right thing.

This show doesn't seem to outright tell you that an incestuous relationship something horrible but it clearly presents all the many issues that arise with that. Chidori, Koshiro's female coworker, is pretty much the voice of reason, telling Koshiro (and maybe the audience) clearly how he'll ruin not only their lives but also affect their parents and friends negatively. Also Koshiro is the adult and one to take pretty much all the blame, even if Nanoka ended up being quite persistent with her attempts. She's only 15 after all and quite a bit naive, albeit not a complete fool.

The ending just now was kinda interesting. Not only was it a pretty open ending, so much so in fact that I'll have to check if this is an adaptation of a larger book/manga (MAL doesn't mention anything), it also shows the—now—couple enjoying a day and night at the amusement part from episode one. However, before that happens there's not only suicide talk but we already see negative impact on their mother (who seems to sense that something strange is going on) and even more so Nanoka's friends. The previously closest of whom is genuinely estranged from Nanoka at this point. And while the two are laughing in the park while having a mud flinging fight, the onlookers are rather all weirded out from this strange looking couple.

In short, while we get to see the two happy momentarily, it's very apparent they're just surrounded by a bubble which will easily burst. They can ignore reality only for so long. It's kinda bold to end the show at that point but honestly, I kinda commend them for it. If nothing else it provides ample food for thought.

Overall I'll rate it 8/10 for now. It's certainly no animation feat, even though the art direction is quite good. The OST was...decent and used well but nothing stand out either. The male coworker also stood out negatively, although, with his exception, the characterization is among the best I've seen and the story delivers no doubt, too.

edit:
Yeh this was adapted from a manga. The 5th volume of which wasn't done yet during production and so those events are missing. However, the ending is supposedly similar, albeit with a more negative connotation in the anime. Gotta check that out myself.

Cornbread78

Well, I'm halfway through ep. 10 and screw him, he's a mindless dink.

EDIT: this show is getting annoying fast.... 3 episodes left.

Jarmel

Banned
Animator Expo 3rd season seemingly confirmed for July. I thought they were taking a break after the 2nd season.

yj50121.png

ns46UAc.jpg

javac

I did like Koi Kaze, and like you said, at first you can sympathize with him. He's a guy who doesn't know how to act around people, and feels weird playing the 'big brother' role, and I think that in moderation is pretty natural. Not wanting to get close to people as to open yourself up is something people face, which often results in pushing those closest to you further away, but I feel that he mistakes that feeling and starts doing things that...well what can you say really? Interesting show that I watched on a whim, not knowing what it was even about, marathoning through it with a weird, empty feeling at the end. I applaud it for tackling a very real issue, and doing so tactfully and seriously, but not without its faults and not a show or type of show that I want to watch again any time soon. From the guy who directed Baccano and Durarara heh.

Well, I'm halfway through ep. 10 and screw him, he's a mindless dink.
Yup. I like how Tsukasa this season in Plastic Memories as an example at least can get things moving. It's nice seeing an MC being a man for once, why must most MCs be wimps?? So otakus can relate to them better or something?! It's annoying.

cajunator

Banned
Not a massive fan of Parika. Make no mistake, when looking at it from a film-making perspective, its super intricate with many layers, from the scene transitions, using match cuts to transition from one dream to the next etc. The film itself however lost me half way through and it felt like way too much for me. I think the opening scene is the best thing in Paprika, showing off all of these filming techniques with that beautiful soundtrack. Perfect Blue and Millennium Actress on the other hand? Phenomenal. His films deserve more credit then they get, one of the best filmmakers in the industry to have ever lived.

Very true. Masterpieces of anime. The world lost a great one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom