• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Yup. I like how Tsukasa this season in Plastic Memories as an example at least can get things moving. It's nice seeing an MC being a man for once, why must most MCs be wimps?? So otakus can relate to them better or something?! It's annoying.

Oh man, I can't wait to see your reaction to the finale. This show was intense.

Ugghh, I'm going to be pissed unless he gets to keep both of them and have a lifelong threesome, but no, he's too much of a biotch for that too.... so yeah, I'm bound to be a little pissed and type angry, lol.

javac

This weeks Blu-ray and DVD releases in the US for 06/02/15.
Blu-ray
06/02/15
Haikyu!! Collection 1 [Sentai]
Run Time: 325 min
Audio: Japanese
Subtitles: English
Format: Two-disc set (2 BDs)
Price: @ Amazon.com: $34.49
Price: @ rightstuf.com: $38.99
rxZmmiWm.jpg

Ranma ½: Set 6 [VIZ]
Run Time: episodes 116-138
Audio: English, Japanese
Format: Three-disc set (3 BDs)
Price: Special Edition @ Amazon.com: $49.39
Price: @ rightstuf.com: $33.99
Special Edition @ rightstuf.com: $43.98
mRUNdTwm.jpg

Nobunagun: Complete Series [Funimation]
Audio: English, Japanese
Format: Four-disc set (2 BDs, 2 DVDs)
Price: @ Amazon.com: $37.39
Special Edition @ Amazon.com: $40.19
Special Edition @ rightstuf.com: $41.99
Un2Shotm.jpg

Fairy Tail: Collection 4 [Funimation]
Run Time: 600 min
Audio: English: Dolby TrueHD 5.1 / Japanese: Dolby TrueHD 2.0
Format: Eight-disc set (4 BDs, 4 DVDs)
Price: @ Amazon.com: $31.65
Price: @ rightstuf.com: $32.99
kJ4lcr0m.jpg

Wanna Be The Strongest In The World!: Complete Series & OVAs [Funimation]
Run Time: 300 min
Audio: English: Dolby TrueHD 5.1 / Japanese: Dolby TrueHD 2.0
Format: Four-disc set (2 BDs, 2 DVDs)
Price: @ Amazon.com: $37.39
Special Edition @ Amazon.com: $40.29
Special Edition @ rightstuf.com: $41.99
WKrlyx3m.jpg

DVD
06/02/15
Lupin the 3rd: From Siberia With Love [Discotek]
Run Time: 90 min
Audio: Japanese
Format: One-disc set (1 DVD)
Price: @ Amazon.com: $24.95
Wx1IWBzm.jpg

Please Teacher!: Complete Collection [TRSI]
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 2.0 / Japanese: Dolby Digital 2.0
Format: Three-disc set (3 DVDs)
Price: @ Amazon.com: $27.99
Price: @ rightstuf.com: $23.99
m7AdAx1m.jpg

Mandelbo

Not a massive fan of Parika. Make no mistake, when looking at it from a film-making perspective, its super intricate with many layers, from the scene transitions, using match cuts to transition from one dream to the next etc. The film itself however lost me half way through and it felt like way too much for me. I think the opening scene is the best thing in Paprika, showing off all of these filming techniques with that beautiful soundtrack. Perfect Blue and Millennium Actress on the other hand? Phenomenal. His films deserve more credit then they get, one of the best filmmakers in the industry to have ever lived.

Yeah, I completely understand your issues with Paprika. It moves fairly quickly and gives you quite a lot of information in a short space of time, so it's very easy to get lost. The film definitely made a lot more sense when rewatching it, but one of the main reasons I enjoy it so much is the blending of dream and reality, especially later on. I also really like that the film tells a lot of things visually, such as when it foreshadows how Osanai
had to sell his body to Himuro in order to get the DC Mini by his reaction to Himuro's magazines when we first see his apartment.
I'm definitely looking forward to watching Perfect Blue and Millenium Actress.

javac

Yeah, I completely understand your issues with Paprika. It moves fairly quickly and gives you quite a lot of information in a short space of time, so it's very easy to get lost. The film definitely made a lot more sense when rewatching it, but one of the main reasons I enjoy it so much is the blending of dream and reality, especially later on. I also really like that the film tells a lot of things visually, such as when it foreshadows how Osanai
had to sell his body to Himuro in order to get the DC Mini by his reaction to Himuro's magazines when we first see his apartment.
I'm definitely looking forward to watching Perfect Blue and Millenium Actress.

Yup I can see why people like the film, and from a film making perspective its pure genius, just too much visually for me. Perfect Blue is seriously amazing, a more traditional film on the front, again underneath it has all of those intricacies that make up the Satoshi Kon portfolio, from the beautiful scene transitions and character/set design to the composition of said scenes and the soundtrack. Without a doubt one of my favorite films bar none, same can be said for Millennium Actress. I don't want to spoil anything or set the tone, but I will say that Perfect Blue can be hard to watch at times, and its all the better for it. Pushes the boundaries of what was acceptable in an animated film.

EDIT:
Thanks for this!!

No problem! :)

Mandelbo

Man, I really wanna watch Paranoia Agent again... it's among the best anime I've ever watched, episode 8 in particular being absolutely sublime. More people need to see it!

javac

Man, I really wanna watch Paranoia Agent again... it's among the best anime I've ever watched, episode 8 in particular being absolutely sublime. More people need to see it!

For all the talk I make about Kon...I still have yet to see this
and Tokyo Godfathers
D: Blu-ray any day now...

Cornbread78

White Album 2 ep. 9-END:
Well another one down. Drama, dram, drama and in the end. WTF? They should have just trew away ep. 13 and stopped at the end of 12. Ep. 13 made no sense whatsoever. First off all, you have the MC actually being a man and
having sex after graduation with his true love instead of his "girlfriend"
Then you have the GF come by the apt in the morning and have a stupid
conversation on the train where she apologizes for him gettign his cock wet in another girl, wait, what? Then as this girl is jumping on a plane to go away for good in a moment that was supossed to be about the girls parting ways, he shoves his tongue down her throat, and the next scene is him and his girlfriend (ex?) sitting there waiting as he watches the plane fly away and telling him that she will not go home until he goes with her so her "heart doesn't freeze" I mean, does she really intend to stay with him even after she lied the entire time to him on the train and admited it through narration? WTF was that?
What could have been a sweet moment turned nonsense in a flash. I mean, what were they thinking? I can understand why people were pissed at that now.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Onegai Teacher forever stuck in DVD limbo
Thats kind of relevant to the show too hehee.

I think I told you the first anime I watched was Kimi ga Nozomu Eien. I believe the second anime I saw was Onegai Twins.

I started off with a bang.

Grzi

DanMachi - 1-9

I would watch an animated turd spinning on a stick if it had these production values.

But I enjoyed this, it was harmless, mindless fun, it's easy to watch, addictive, the episodes fly by like they lasted two minutes. It's basically a not terrible SAO. It's good! The fight in episode 8 was the best fight sequence I witnessed in god knows how long. They did a really good job on it. Sakugabooru lists Akira Hamaguchi and Hiroshi Tomioka for two cuts, but it would be great to know who did the rest.

Mandelbo

For all the talk I make about Kon...I still have yet to see this
and Tokyo Godfathers
D: Blu-ray any day now...

I've seen way too little of his work, just Paranoia Agent and Paprika. I did get his short story collection, Dream Fossil, a few days ago, and I'm gonna get the Perfect Blue BD (which is half the price of the DVD, for some reason) next week, so I am making progress! You need to watch Paranoia Agent - it's what got me into Satoshi Kon!

Cornbread78

DanMachi - 1-9

I would watch an animated turd spinning on a stick if it had these production values.

But I enjoyed this, it was harmless, mindless fun, it's easy to watch, addictive, the episodes fly by like they lasted two minutes. It's basically a not terrible SAO. It's good! The fight in episode 8 was the best fight sequence I witnessed in god knows how long. They did a really good job on it. Sakugabooru lists Akira Hamaguchi and Hiroshi Tomioka for two cuts, but it would be great to know who did the rest.

Best of the season by a long shot:

f9FNsZT.gif

White Album 2 ep. 9-END:
Well another one down. Drama, dram, drama and in the end. WTF? They should have just trew away ep. 13 and stopped at the end of 12. Ep. 13 made no sense whatsoever. First off all, you have the MC actually being a man and
having sex after graduation with his true love instead of his "girlfriend"
Then you have the GF come by the apt in the morning and have a stupid
conversation on the train where she apologizes for him gettign his cock wet in another girl, wait, what? Then as this girl is jumping on a plane to go away for good in a moment that was supossed to be about the girls parting ways, he shoves his tongue down her throat, and the next scene is him and his girlfriend (ex?) sitting there waiting as he watches the plane fly away and telling him that she will not go home until he goes with her so her "heart doesn't freeze" I mean, does she really intend to stay with him even after she lied the entire time to him on the train and admited it through narration? WTF was that?
What could have been a sweet moment turned nonsense in a flash. I mean, what were they thinking? I can understand why people were pissed at that now.

Ha I thought you'd feel that way. It's funny how after the whole season they make the MC actually follow his heart yet
he can't actually have his true love in the end.
This actually isn't the actual ending as there is a light novel which this is based off of that continues the story. It's a shame too since this ending really does need extending in my opinion.

e_i

Show by Rock episode 9

You either win or you
get your music crystal things tainted.

Wow, that escalated quickly,

Kiniro Mosaic episode 9

Heh, the scene where
the Inokuma twins walked in on Aya and Yoko was priceless.

"Did we interrupt? We can go back outside for a bit."

javac

I've seen way too little of his work, just Paranoia Agent and Paprika. I did get his short story collection, Dream Fossil, a few days ago, and I'm gonna get the Perfect Blue BD (which is half the price of the DVD, for some reason) next week, so I am making progress! You need to watch Paranoia Agent - it's what got me into Satoshi Kon!

No doubt, it's on my to watch list, very excited to watch it. I've been meaning to watch them both for multiple years in fact, surprised I manage to stay spoiler free of this stuff :p I have the UK Perfect Blue CE BD and the LE Japanese set, with a lenticular cover, both are pretty nice. Pick up the BD asap, I hope you enjoy it :)

Cornbread78

Ha I thought you'd feel that way. It's funny how after the whole season they make the MC actually follow his heart yet
he can't actually have his true love in the end.
This actually isn't the actual ending as there is a light novel which this is based off of that continues the story. It's a shame too since this ending really does need extending in my opinion.

Uggh, so it was another one of "those" endings then, huh? IT made no sense the way they did it. They could have just ended it at ep. 12 and would have been fine, but nope, they added #13 which just completely muddied the water and made it confusing as well.

Oh my goodness, Fomoffu looks incredible!

Word of advice.

If you're planning on watching Fumoffu, you may want to watch Full Metal Panic season 1 first.

Fumoffu is a series of side-stories to it, and amazing as it is, you'd probably be better off going in with some knowledge of the characters beforehand.

Also watch Second Raid after that because it's a great sequel to it.

Arcadius

Banned
Word of advice.

If you're planning on watching Fumoffu, you may want to watch Full Metal Panic season 1 first.

Fumoffu is a series of side-stories to it, and amazing as it is, you'd probably be better off going in with some knowledge of the characters beforehand.

Thank you for the advice, Nintendoman! I will listen to your guiding words.

Phatmac

Lol, that edit...

The LN is completed and the anime incorporates the entire series from what I've read here.
Yeah I didn't want to sound dumb so I looked it up. I'd like to watch this but I'm waiting for the VN translation since I loved the VN and don't want to spoil the story.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Word of advice.

Fumoffu is hilarious if you don't know anything about the characters because practically all of the relationships between the characters are easy to infer. But yeah, just watch Season 1 with it...

Grzi

Nope. Fate UBW has better fights. Easily the best of the season.

UBW is not even close animation wise. The sense of weight and the way every move has a purpose and can be clearly seen in the DanMachi fight makes the UBW fights between Lancer and Archer seem like two guys just randomly waving their weapons really fast at each other.
Sorry.

Not to mention DanMachi is a much better show.

Phatmac

Fumoffu is hilarious if you don't know anything about the characters because practically all of the relationships between the characters are easy to infer. But yeah, just watch Season 1 with it...
So watch Fumoffu before second raid? I already saw the first season.

Phatmac

UBW is not even close animation wise. The sense of weight and the way every move has a purpose and can be clearly seen in the DanMachi fight makes the UBW fights between Lancer and Archer seem like two guys just randomly waving their weapons really fast at each other.
Sorry.

Considering how strong heroic spirits are I'd expect that sort of action. I don't care for Danmachi either so we'll just agree to disagree.

Grzi

Considering how strong heroic spirits are I'd expect that sort of action.

If we use that line of thinking you probably wouldn't have a problem if the fights consisted of nothing but a flash here and there and an occasional sound of weapons clashing, since they move so fast a normal person can't see a thing.

Sorry.

Is it really though? I mean I don't even like UBW that much but both are equally alright. Both are below average to average shows imo, not that great.

Sorry.

Oh c'mon, I can't stand UBW whatsoever but that last gif Phaze posted with the ridiculously excessive spear animation is a looker and far above this really unimpressive bit from DanMachi. Shirobako's ep23 'fight towards the author' sequence would top that easily.

Mature

We shall see, I am skeptical of the hype.
You have particular tastes so I wouldn't imply that it'll be the same for you that it was for me, but I finished it recently and was immediately in the same camp as everyone else. My predilection for mystery didn't hurt that verdict though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom