• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT2| Euriphonium

Status
Not open for further replies.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
So after years of putting it off, I'm going to watch the SAO series (both seasons). I tried originally and stopped around the time Asuna needed Kirito's protection from her own bodyguard who was weaker than her.

Dubbed or Subbed?

Subbed.
Because Miyuki Sawashiro in season 2

cajunator

Banned
No, I haven't seen Celestial Method. What's it about, if it's not too spoilery? I've made my mind up that I'm gonna watch some Saikano though - I can handle abject despair!

Its about a mysterious little girl and her connection to a flying saucer that appeared in the sky. Theres a lot more to it than that obviously. Dont want to spoil anything.
Noel is the most adorable thing.

So after years of putting it off, I'm going to watch the SAO series (both seasons). I tried originally and stopped around the time Asuna needed Kirito's protection from her own bodyguard who was weaker than her.

Dubbed or Subbed?

Skip season one. You dont need to watch it. It gets really rapey and weird and doesnt actually get anywhere.
Watch season two the one with Sinon. Its slightly better.
And it has Sinon.

Crocodile

Dubbed or Subbed?

Just read the ToonamiGAF reactions, that should be enough

Let's check the AnimeGAF FAQ:

Q: How should I watch Sword Art Online, dubbed or subbed?

A: SAO should not be watched.

Even though there isn't an AnimeGAF FAQ, there should be one and this should be on it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
SAO when they were in Aincrad was sort of fun I guess

SAO when his sister was hot for his dick was just outright idiotic and the only thing I even remember specifically about it was laughing derisively at meme-worthy shit like tear licker.

Skip season one. You dont need to watch it. It gets really rapey and weird and doesnt actually get anywhere.
Watch season two the one with Sinon. Its slightly better.
And it has Sinon.

Sinon arc is not exactly less rapey. It also features Kirito being the Gary Stu of all Gary Stus and using a sword in a gun game because he's da bess at everything.

Puruzi

Banned
Don't listen to AnimeGAF. SAO is love. SAO is life.

8bzu9iC.png

cajunator

Banned
SAO when they were in Aincrad was sort of fun I guess

SAO when his sister was hot for his dick was just outright idiotic and the only thing I even remember specifically about it was laughing derisively at meme-worthy shit like tear licker.

Sinon arc is not exactly less rapey. It also features Kirito being the Gary Stu of all Gary Stus and using a sword in a gun game because he's da bess at everything.

Well you cant fully escape the rapyness because the show is saturated with it. But at least SAO2 tries to tell a story.

kewlmyc

I bought this a while ago because she looked cool and would like to know more about the character to know if I made a poor decision or not (I probably did).

The amount of negative feedback is funny though. I'll probably go subbed and let you guys know when I can't take anymore. I'm slightly interested in seeing how the SAO arc ends and might just skip to the Sinon arc afterward because of how much I heard the Fairy Tale arc sucks.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The only reason SAO was worth watching is that everyone else was watching it so you could share the "fun". Watching it on your own would just be suffering.

Well I say suffering. It's more boredom.

cajunator

Banned

I laughed

I bought this a while ago because she looked cool and would like to know more about the character to know if I made a poor decision or not (I probably did).

The amount of negative feedback is funny though. I'll probably go subbed and let you guys know when I can't take anymore. I'm slightly interested in seeing how the SAO arc ends and might just skip to the Sinon arc afterward because of how much I heard the Fairy Tale arc sucks.

She is awesome. This was not a mistake.
However the shows writing does try to make her another victim of Kirito's harem so be aware of that.

You are better off appreciating her cool design and not seeing what actually happens to her

SAO doesn't just have bad writing and characters, it also has a terrible portrayal of MMO players in its second half!

I've played my fair share of Runescape, Maplestory, and WoW, and I can tell you right now nobody was rattling on about player-class racism and in-game politics!

Also, whenever the characters were in a major town I didn't see anybody showing off their high level amour and attacks! Where were the people screaming SELLING ALL MY 1337 ARMOR!?

The second half of SAO could have at least been somewhat entertaining if that was the case!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't even remember what that was anymore.
That she doesn't have a tragic back story and it's all a fake out.

I don't remember who said it but this seriously does feel like a two-parter Star Trek TNG episode. And not just because the villains are Klingons and there's elements of Q and the source of life in the universe plotline from The Chase, but I really do think if you swapped out Kodai's squad in this with Picard and others it would totally work.
Me! I think that's great is that they made a throwaway scifi story part of the overall storyline, which is something that even Star Trek managed to do. It's the perfect compromise between the serialized nature of the show and the opportunity to tell classic silver age science fiction stories.

The Kwai Complex ep. 1-3
maxresdefault.jpg

Just watched a few episodes (thank you wifey) and laughed way more than I should have at this one. It's obviously a romcom, but they really have been laying on the comedy pretty well so far. This could be fun if it keeps up.
Man, this just reminds me that this show is another example of the main heroine being probably the worst option/character in the series. It's too bad main girls HAVE to be boring for whatever reason.

Mandelbo

Saikano 01

Well. That's certainly one way to end a first episode.

So, what I'm assuming is that Chise
was kidnapped by the group of people who were following her on her way home. I guess they gave her cybernetic body modifications or something, given that she no longer has a heartbeat and has a great big minigun where her arm should be. I wonder if that's exactly the case though? Why would they just pick the first person they see to turn into a weapon? Even if that was the case, Shuji appears more physically strong and would surely be a better pick. There must be some other reason.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If you really need your fill of trapped in an MMO there's always Log Horizon. Danmachi is the same thing too down to the main guy being voiced by Kirito, too, except it doesn't take itself nearly as seriously as SAO does.
KuGsj.gif

cajunator

Banned
Saikano 01

Well. That's certainly one way to end a first episode.

So, what I'm assuming is that Chise
was kidnapped by the group of people who were following her on her way home. I guess they gave her cybernetic body modifications or something, given that she no longer has a heartbeat and has a great big minigun where her arm should be. I wonder if that's exactly the case though? Why would they just pick the first person they see to turn into a weapon? Even if that was the case, Shuji appears more physically strong and would surely be a better pick. There must be some other reason.

Saikano leaves a lot of things vague such as why the war is even being fought and focuses on what the situation does to Shuji and Chise and their lives and the lives of people they know and love. The details in this case are literally not important to the story it is telling.
However there is an OVA that shows things from Chise's view and gives a bit more insight.

Zephyx

SNAFU S2 13

Now I've finished this, I need something else to fill this hole in my life.

Great episode to finish the season.

Yui was phenomenal this episode while Hachiman was on point as usual. I felt like I understood what Yui wanted but I'm still a bit confused about her motivations. What did she mean by I want it all? What answer was she expecting from Yukino regarding her proposal? I think she won't win it all whatever the result of her actions is.

I hope there will be an animated version of the story's resolution as I really want more.

Angry Grimace

Couldn't Be a Hero 6

All the red blooded heroes lost their jobs to cheap imported monster labor.

Where are the fantasy Republicans to put a stop to this? They took our jerbs!

Cornbread78

The utter contempt and hate for SAO on these boards is always amazing to witness. Seriously, once the magic "SAO" appears in print, you know 85% of the next 25-50 posts are going to completely trash it's existence, lol.

Bear witness, lol.

Mandelbo

Saikano leaves a lot of things vague such as why the war is even being fought and focuses on what the situation does to Shuji and Chise and their lives and the lives of people they know and love. The details in this case are literally not important to the story it is telling.

Yeah, I thought as much. Quite interested to see where exactly this goes - the backdrop of war is something that seemed to be integrated quite well, with the characters just living their lives around it.

faridmon

SNAFU S2 - 13 END

While I really love the show with its... unorthodox character development, one thing that irks me is that: how come no one is screaming out loud: NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. every character seem to comment on other people's problem, over analysing it, and the character in question just goes along with the conversations like its a normal thing. While to us, the viewesr, it just adds up to the drama the shoes goes for, the slice of Life aspect of it just diminishes. I can only think of one occasions where Yukino have said that to her sister, but it was more of a polite plea than a decisive order (I suppose that reflects her character to a degree)

Also, I really don't know if I like the fact that everything is so vague and... less literal. Its almost they are talking nonsense and they just nod along like they are all are one the same wavelength. Maybe, the shows tries to engage with the viewer to include his opinion on certain characters, but sometimes I just sit there and say''What are they talking about?'' Rather ironic that they had a whole episode about people talking in nonsensical jargon without any clear goal or aim (planning for the event episode) and this show just encompasses that.

For the final episode, none of them said or indicated there were a love triangle issue at hand (the closest we get was a penguin sign) yet the drama was that.

I dunno, maybe I am just that thick :/

SAO definitely has some flaws, but the series manages to make itself enjoyable to some people. I also appreciate a fair amount of the neuroscience behind it, which thrills me more than a lot of others. My advice is just to give it a shot and keep watching it unless it becomes unenjoyable.

It's definitely a lightning rod of hatred though. I just accept others don't like it and move on.

The utter contempt and hate for SAO on these boards is always amazing to witness. Seriously, once the magic "SAO" appears in print, you know 85% of the next 25-50 posts are going to completely trash it's existence, lol.

Bear witness, lol.

People aren't allowed to watch shows that I didn't enjoy!

Cornbread78

SNAFU S2 13

Yui was phenomenal this episode while Hachiman was on point as usual. I felt like I understood what Yui wanted but I'm still a bit confused about her motivations. What did she mean by I want it all? What answer was she expecting from Yukino regarding her proposal? I think she won't win it all whatever the result of her actions is.

I hope there will be an animated version of the story's resolution as I really want more.

to me, by saying she wasn't nice and giving Hiki the chocolate, she was trying to force Yuki to do the same or else wanted her to back off and have Hiki to herself. Yui actually kind of pissed me off in this one. She should have just moved forward on her own without forcing her will upon Yuki. I'm glad Hiki stepped in at that point to stop the nonsense because he too wanted things to happen organically and not fake or forced because that wouldn't genuine. .

cajunator

Banned

Bear witness, lol.

sorry man. SAO is one of very few shows with the dubious honor of being disliked even by ME. It justp issed me off and was unable to recover from that.
Season 2 was able to start somewhat fresh and introduce a character I took a strong liking to and actually integrated her into the story instead of just a token appearance.

It's Saban, aka the most garbage anime localization company of all time. That's already guaranteed.

I know. It makes me scared!

You are allowed to do whatever you want but I highly recommend you don't watch 48 episodes of SAO because you could watch two good shows with that time

Aren't the first 13 episodes good? Maybe I should've watched SAO before I said anything lol. It can't be that offensively bad right?... Right??

SNAFU S2 13

She wants it all as in
date hikki and keep their group together as well.

Yui was amazing this episode. Check out this link for an in depth explanation of the last scene https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/3baoz6/spoilers_oregairu_zoku_ending_discussion_about/

Baalzebup

Aren't the first 13 episodes good? Maybe I should've watched SAO before I said anything lol. It can't be that offensively bad right?... Right??
It's nowhere near offensively bad as a whole. People just seem to apply the various flavors of idiocy from Fairy Dance arc and the last bit of the Gun Gale Online arc to the series as a whole. The one universal crime the series does commit as a whole is Kirito being too much Mr. Perfect where his gaming skillz™ are concerned. I don't personally even mind that part, since I enjoy the occacional Onii-sama in my anime diet. Funnily that makes the final arc of SAO II, where he is a sideshow, that much better.

And it does admittedly sideline the womenfolk too much, which is a grand shame because Lisbeth, for example, is an enjoyable character to have around. Too many girls riding the harem train, too few having a Kirito-obsession free life.

Second half of SAO II, especially Calibur was very enjoyable. If only the show wasnt written by such an incompetent guy. Great concept ruined by rape and glopping noises.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom