• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://shin-godzilla.jp/gvse/

As it turns out, Godzilla vs Evangelion wasn't an April Fool's gag. It is a real collaboration project for 2016, meant to promote both the upcoming Shin Godzilla film and the Evangelion franchise. For now there is no indication that it will anything more than a brand collaboration though. They are selling merchandising with the collaboration logos, and the key visual they put up on April 1st was drawn by Mahiro Maeda. There will be more guest illustrations of that sort to come, from various top creators in Japan.

While there's nothing to substantiate it, maybe there's a possibility that when Shin Godzilla opens in July, there will be a Godzilla vs Evangelion short attached to it?

never forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQKY49cu2H0

Jintor

yuyushiki 7

...even the characters think they went too far on that one. That joke was lewder than SYD or Galko!

So I just watched Misguided Miscreants part 2, the Samurai Champloo episode that deals with Mugen's past.

It's still awesome.

Aikatsu 101

A proper celebration following the previous episode. Time to switch casts.

Aikatsu 102

Everything is new and different. Scary! Good thing they introduced Oozora previously. It helps to introduce the new cast with a familiar character. And Oozora is great.

trejo

Mayoiga 1

This is garbage. Mizushima a one trick pony confirmed.

If I wanted to watch Another again I'd just watch Another again.

jonjonaug

Rakugo finale was great. Now to wait for season 2.

Showa 13

I really hope Kiku didn't hook up with his step-daughter.

How on earth would you possibly come to that conclusion as even a remote possibility?

http://shin-godzilla.jp/gvse/

As it turns out, Godzilla vs Evangelion wasn't an April Fool's gag. It is a real collaboration project for 2016, meant to promote both the upcoming Shin Godzilla film and the Evangelion franchise. For now there is no indication that it will anything more than a brand collaboration though. They are selling merchandising with the collaboration logos, and the key visual they put up on April 1st was drawn by Mahiro Maeda. There will be more guest illustrations of that sort to come, from various top creators in Japan.

While there's nothing to substantiate it, maybe there's a possibility that when Shin Godzilla opens in July, there will be a Godzilla vs Evangelion short attached to it?

Wait, people thought it was just a joke? I thought that would be exactly the sort of thing Anno would do for real.

Hamst3r

Today I...

Erased - This was great, I can't think of anything egregious. I mean, I guess Satoru's
Revival power
is pretty inexplicable, but I guess I just don't care since everything around it was really good. It was enjoyable, so I don't care how or why that worked.

Ace Attorney - As someone who played the first game only a few years ago and wasn't blown away by it, I enjoyed this first episode. I think it's pretty spot-on so far, it was snappily paced and felt like how the game played. I'm definitely in for more of this.

Yesterday I...

Konosuba - The dullahan episodes were the best part, or really episodes 3 through 6 were all pretty good. The other six episodes weren't as fun.

Jojo: Diamond - A pretty good start, I like the extra thick outlines in some shots and the colors. I'm already not that into the characters though, I mean it's the return of yare yare Jojo, and the debut of cookie-cutter delinquent Jojo and his kid sidekick. At least, that's how Josuke came across with his hairdo obsession and temperament. But hey, it's only the first episode, I just hope that isn't a thing for the whole show.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I'm not expecting much from the Ace Attorney anime after watching episode 1. It looks like its just going to be a very direct adaptation of the game, to the point of determent (Some of the things do not translate well, yet they did them anyway). Maybe if we are lucky they will adapt the Manga, which was unique and may translate to anime better then the games are.

Sölf

Hey well I beat Danganronpa 1 and that was pretty good even though I knew the main twist so I'm gonna go ahead and do

DANGANRONPA THE ANIMATION 01???

WOW. And I thought Ace Attorney was taking the easy way out of just literally being the game but this makes that look creative (although it at least looks marginally better then AA and has better voice acting.) No chance of putting the defense attorney and the prosecutor on the wrong side when you just copy/paste.

Its hard to even joke about it because its so blatant. Everyone stands the same as their sprites even though it looks fucking terrible because this isn't a game and they don't look like they are from Doom in the anime, so what you get is a cluster of people standing around in random locations. During the intros they will even shift into their default sprite...then back to whatever sprite they were in before. Music is the same. Cutscenes are the same but redrawn. Sound effects are the same. Like damn this must have been the easiest project ever, 90% of the work was done for them. I dunno who this is supposed to be aimed at - people who played the game probably won't want to just see it on replay and people who didn't play the game should just...do that instead? I don't even know who would do something like thi-

YHOg740.png

Oh. Ohhhh.

Edit: I skipped around in later episodes for Sawashiro purposes and holy shit the trials are even worse copy/paste. I'm 90% certain the executions are just the actual in game cutscenes.

You know the best thing? The investigation part is basically missing completely or done in 1-2 minutes. Which is the reason I really hope investigation isn't fucked up in Ace Attorney.

Line_HTX

Sölf;200007198 said:
You know the best thing? The investigation part is basically missing completely or done in 1-2 minutes. Which is the reason I really hope investigation isn't fucked up in Ace Attorney.

Man, I hope not just for the sake of time constraints...

=/

Moonlight

Banned
Space Patrol Luluco 1

Really enjoyed this. Definitely caught shades of KLK's episode 4, which is fine - that was one of KLK's rare peaks, IMO. Luluco's definitely less manic, though, which I also kind of appreciate. Imaishi's other stuff is very blunt instrument about what it wants you to find funny, and while Luluco's still kinda guilty of assuming absurd things are inherently hilarious, the format means it doesn't really stick too long to any one gag, and for the most part, they hit. "Space cheating" is the definition of standard Imaishi humour but something about that really made me chuckle.

Disliked how it kept belabouring the 'normalcy' of Luluco's life, though. The whole first minute of the episode feels ham-handed and pretty irrelevant since it still tells us basically nothing about Luluco herself. When she mourns the loss of her 'ordinary life', it's not something we have any context for, really, so that too is out of place.

All that said, found it pretty charming and quite fun. Gonna stay on top of this.

Oh, and the ED is amazing.

Diamond is Unbreakable 1

A solid introductory episode, and right off the bat. Purely from a visual presentation standpoint, this show stands miles above Stardust Crusaders. The bold outlines on the characters are really eye-catching stuff, and the show itself seems to be having a lot more fun with its' usual devices - the visual onomatopoeia often acting as more interactive elements of a scene rather than just, well, what they are.

I appreciate how generally distinct the show immediately feels, compared to its' predecessors. The stills used to identify characters as they appear, the record scratches in scene transitions, they all have the makings of something (appropriately) much hipper than anything that's come before. The town of Morioh itself lends to a more unique atmosphere to the show, and while it hasn't fully committed to familiarizing us to the setting too much (though using Jotaro as a vehicle for entry was smart in this regard), there's something neat about how compact everything feels.

As a protagonist, Josuke doesn't make a huge splash. How he reacts to things are pretty polarized, either he's reasonable and easy-going, or he's, well, losing it over his hair, and while it's funny, it makes it kind of hard to immediately place him like you could Joseph or (as much as I don't like him) Jotaro. I'll say that Crazy (sorry, Shining) Diamond is immediately a far more interesting stand to see in practice than Star Platinum ever was, and already it's presented some of the more interesting (if somewhat gruesome) applications of that ability.

Was hoping that some of the show's new sense of style might translate to how they depict stand battles, though. It's a complaint I've held since Stardust began, but the way that the anime's depicted the simple act of 'x punches y a lot' comes across as static and at this point, a bit tiring. A bit unreasonable to hope for, I guess, but it'd be nice if straight-up fights in the show could be more dynamic or at least have the same sort of fun within the obvious constraints that other aspects of the production seem to be having.

also: the rearrangement of Stardust Crusaders is amazing. Music was ace, in general.

which eps from the new lupin series are considered worth watching?

The End Of Lupin III (Episode 13) seemed the most well liked, but it's a small continuation of the two-parter that was 11 & 12, and that arc was kinda bad. I still think you can watch 13 on it's own though.

"From Japan with love" (Episode 21) is my personal favourite, others also liked the episode with the Haunted Hotel (8, I think)

4, 9, 10 and 16 are also alright I guess. But I wouldn't say they're neccesary to watch.

Episode 1 and 3 introduce the new characters of the season, so you might want to watch those first. Episode 1 is pretty good actually.

Ascheroth

Another - 06-08

Those episodes were pretty comfy, with a hint of eerie. Continues to be hilarious.
Lots of intriguing revelations.
Mei and aggressive twintails are pretty good.

Jintor

Funimation upload failed apparently so they're just hanging out showing PVs while waiting for the show to reup

*shrug*

streaming problems

Jintor

oh lol so their livestream is literally a camera pointed at the hosts while they watch the episode. i thought they'd TV it out or something for twitch but nope.gif

oh well

Ojamajo Doremi is highly regarded here, right? Or am I mixing that up with some other series. Wanna make sure before I dive into the wrong thing.

Exalted

Ragnastrike Angels Episode 1

30 sec in, and i am already done with this show. Won't bother watching any more in the future. Don't know what i expected, going in blind...

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Hello, anime GAF. I got back from a couple of trips in Japan and am in the mood for watching anime. In addition, I miss playing Persona 4. Do you have any recommendations for a Persona, high school-like anime to watch? Bonus if there's a hilarious tsundere character with the usual "N-No, it's not like I did it for you! I did it because I had freetime, that's all!" I'd rather not pirate, either, so if you could point me toward a legally accessible place to get it, awesome.

Thanks!

I5PxmuZ.jpg

Welp, had to scroll down extremely far in my MAL list to even find a highschool + tsundere girl title.

Eventually I arrived at Nisekoi (season 1) which was somewhat enjoyable the first half. That one has your typical tsundere but, although I have no clue about Persona, I doubt the writing is anywhere on par with that. Should be available on the popular streaming services in the US, given that it's still somewhat recent.

Chindogg

Boku no Hero Academia 1

Never read the manga and been holding off for this.

The animation's pretty damn great and I'm already interested in seeing how this show progresses. A Japanese take on western superhero comics is something I've always wanted to see that the Marvel and Batman animes never really cut.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Good news for Off Topic; their darling anime, Cowboy Bebop has turned 18 today so now they can legally marry it with no repercussions!

phaze

Hello, anime GAF. I got back from a couple of trips in Japan and am in the mood for watching anime. In addition, I miss playing Persona 4. Do you have any recommendations for a Persona, high school-like anime to watch? Bonus if there's a hilarious tsundere character with the usual "N-No, it's not like I did it for you! I did it because I had freetime, that's all!" I'd rather not pirate, either, so if you could point me toward a legally accessible place to get it, awesome.

Thanks!

I take it by Persona-like, you mean you want to have some supernatural component ? Do you want it to be a genuinely good show ? Cause if not, there's the just finished Myriad Colors Phantom World which features high school and monsters and Reina was pretty tsundere in the little time I've spent with this show. Just to be sure though, I repeat, a good show this is decidedly not. At least it looks better than most.

Kiznaiiiiiiiiver 0

"This is the story of girls and boys connected through their wounds."

Finally an anime about this thread.

------
Is this new-old Gundam thing edible for people with little to no knowledge of UC Universe ?

Qurupeke

My Hero Academia 1

Off with a great start. It actually looks really damn good, it surprised me. The only thing I didn't like is Deku's voice, but I'll get used to it. The episode was mostly about explaining the world and setting up the plot with All Might, but it still was really entertaining. One reason people like MHA is Deku, the main character, who isn't a cool badass like other shounen characters, but someone who works to achieve something. And he's also overenthusiastic about heroes, I think this was apparent. lol Anyway, I don't want to spoil something, but Deku is pretty much someone you can relate to. Then there's Bakugo, the explosion man, who may seem like a hothead ready to explode, but he's actually more than that and is pretty awesome. We'll get more of him on the next episode.

One thing I didn't remember that good from the manga was the scene with the video after the "No quirk" reveal. It was emotional on it too, but the anime had a much bigger impact. Really sad scene.

So far it seems to follow the manga close, but we'll see. I'm actually a lot more optimistic about it now.

BluWacky

My Hero Academia - 1

I can see why this is so popular; it follows the shounen template to perfection. Our lead is a total underdog whose dedication to overcoming adversity is his greatest strength, and the great hero's superpower is punching things really hard.

If only every shounen adaptation had production values like this, though. My particular favourite touches were the "liquid" monster, both for the elasticity of its animation and being a great example of the CG texturing techniques pioneered by Sunrise in the late 90s, and All Might being constantly depicted with massive amounts of shading. The overall look is like a less stylised version of Concrete Revolutio - none of the neon colouring here (there's some lovely use of manga page texturing as well) but a similar sort of aesthetic.

I'm sure this is going to be an excellent - if pleasingly short - adaptation, but it's not "appointment viewing" for me. The plucky underdog stories that populate shounen manga don't really do much for me, and the setup is too rich in opportunities for power escalation. I like superhero stories, but these days I prefer my characterisation a little more complex than what Jump shows can offer.

Jintor

My Hero Academia - 1

I'm sure this is going to be an excellent - if pleasingly short - adaptation, but it's not "appointment viewing" for me. The plucky underdog stories that populate shounen manga don't really do much for me, and the setup is too rich in opportunities for power escalation. I like superhero stories, but these days I prefer my characterisation a little more complex than what Jump shows can offer.

I think you'd be pleasantly surprised, but I can't deny that it is through and through a shonen tale.

Kaizer

Banned
My Hero Academia Ep. 01

Man, they nailed the look of the manga, the art style is fantastic. Very faithful adaptation of the beginning of the story and really sold the emotional moments. The scene with his mom was great. Pacing is really smooth and getting to see All Might animated is great, his laugh - HA HA HA

Definitely looking forward to watching more & more of this. That Mt. Lady tho - ass-quaintance lol

Jarmel

Banned
Just want to say the editing for the My Hero Academia OP is on point. Whoever did the storyboarding for that did a great job.

Spring has come and so have I.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
My Hero Academia Episode 1:

Right, so it is time to play the role of villain once again, been awhile but I have the feeling that my opinion my not be a popular one. Indeed given the hype and praise I so often get lauded for this series the expectations were lofty and what I get out of the park is some very generic shonen wrapped around superhero tropes and I am already wary. I am not writing this series off or anything and I understand it is probably going to take time for MHA to get into gear. However, merely mixing anime and superheros isn't exactly a fresh take any more and MHA is at the disadvantage of coming out after the likes of One Punch Man and Tiger and Bunny, both of which had much more compelling first outings. Also, I really hope this show misses Toonami if this ultra shonen tone is sticking around for that block has that particular bit of verisimilitude covered in spades.

pbayne

Bakuon OVA

Eh i dunno it didn't really sell me on the series. I just don't know what it wants to be. Ill give it a few episodes, the OVA seems to assume you know that characters already maybe explaining why i didn't care much for it.

Hero Academia 1

Alright start, dunno know if ill keep up with it. That's a lot of characters in the OP to try and cram into 13 episodes. Except for some dull backgrounds it looked fine overall but not the BONES show for me this season.
Naruto, i mean Deku, seems to be a fairly likable shounen guy and All Might has a certain amount of intrigue around him.

Ascheroth

My Hero Academia - 01

They really nailed everything. This was a lot of fun to watch.
The pacing surprised me a bit. They only adapted half of the first chapter, but the pacing felt perfect. Very excited for the rest.
All Mights allmighty overshading and his laugh are excellent, great amount of Deku faces, very fluid action scenes, and the soundtrack was on point as well.
Exceeded expectations, looking forward to the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom