• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Naruto Shippuden: Season 17 Episode 457 – Itachi's Story - Light and Darkness: Partner
CgklBWfXEAAwyhU.jpg
CgklBLjWMAAFzsF.jpg

Deidara!!! This was a good Akatsuki background episode. The Sasori Lord Orochimaru fight was good background.

Cornbread78

Strike the Blood ep.13-15
WJPrcyg.jpg

I wasn't feeling this arc as much as the others, but it was still pretty entertaining to watch with some good fights along the way. I was caught off-guard at the end of the epilogue though, because I was NOT expecting that to happen...Holy Suck... That was bad.... REALLY, REALLY bad! I'm really pissed at those stupid witches and I hope it all works out for everyone because sensei (both sensei's actually) needs to be in the harem as well dammit!

Line_HTX

Once again, I only know characters like Yukina from the Dengeki Bunko fighting game so I'm not familiar with where they came from. How is the show up to this point, Kiritobread?

AYXcVIc.gif

Yeah, he's really annoying and cannot hold a candle to the 1 true mascot:
ULqGikD.gif

I'm really enjoying this show though. It's probably my favorite of the season so far, just because of it's tone alone.
But compared to Happy that thing is a useless add-on for futur fillers. Almost everytime they fit him outsides of filler content his presence feels weird and out of place.

Also yea that thing aside I really enjoy Twin star.

But compared to Happy that thing is a useless add-on for futur fillers. Almost everytime they fit him outsides of filler content his presence feels weird and out of place.

I dont know if I would even put Happy in mascot character territory, its not like he is the only cat on the show and the whole arc and their continued importance to all dragonslayers.

Cornbread78

I dont know if I would even put Happy in mascot character territory, its not like he is the only cat on the show and the whole arc and their continued importance to all dragonslayers.

They are probably both better suited to be called sidekicks, but yeah, Happy is much more important.

True, very true... I'm looking forward to getting deeper into the story as these two grow, although, I'm not looking forward to the impending drama with the childhood friend that will definitely come....

Once again, I only know characters like Yukina from the Dengeki Bunko fighting game so I'm not familiar with where they came from. How is the show up to this point, Kiritobread?

It's pretty good overall. I mean, it definitely has some harem tropeyness to it, but the MC isn't a useless dork and he will stand up for himself and the ladies, and well, the ladies can kick a$$ as well. The world is unique and ou learn something new about it with each arc, but there is no central plotline at all, which is kind of annoying, but overall the show has some spunk with the action and harem parts are scripted to be more fun and canoe to the story, rather than being useless otaku pandering (it is, but it isn't, lol). Pretty good I'd say and I usually don't watch these types of shows...

ibyea

Banned
Sorry, folks! Much of Haurhi's original popularity seemed to grow solely from a certain segment of the internet that enjoyed silly memes. It never really seemed to penetrate beyond this group of internet denizens into mainstream recognition and as such it is a largely forgotten and unremarked upon relic of the last decade. It is not a work with lasting appeal or popularity.

I know I was just being silly. :p (although I do like the show, even if the episodes were hit or miss)

Ascheroth

It's alright. Setting is somewhat similiar to Index, although the MC is overpowered from the start. Nothing special, but not terrible. And I liked the opening song.
Although the only thing I clearly remember is this:

Qurupeke

Mawaru Penguindrum 18-20

Hmmm. I'm very confused with the latest few developments.
What is that Child Broiler? I thought it was a symbolic place but it seems to actually exist, considering Shouma's father mentioned it. Also, it appears that Shouma and Kanba were aware of their parents' organization and unless they're Yuri tier actors, they had a lengthy flashback of being shocked when they learned the truth about their parents. Everything kind of fits to the motif of real and imaginary that the second OP presents, heh. Also, it's funny that essentially we got an explanation why all the Takakuras look different.

Anyway, the last 6 or so episodes have been excellent. The show mostly focused on the comedy, the drama and the cliffhangers for its first few episodes, but now the characters and the visuals are what stands out. To be fair, it already had both of them early, scenes like Kanba chasing the truck or some of Ringo's delusions were really memorable. It just feels like the show has perfected its own formula now.

/XX/

Is moca news' event list still (as of today) the most complete one for Japanese animation related events? Are you people aware of any other more accurate one updated lately?

Wish Upon the Pleiades 12 END

Sweet conclusion. Good show.
So... how did you like 'neo-NeoGAiNAX' take on cosmic phenomena?

https://boards.4chan.org/a/thread/127679566#q127681018 said:

https://boards.4chan.org/a/thread/127679566#q127681075 said:

Seems like the second-to-last studio tradition by now. :-(

Anne Happy Ep. 3

Damn sensei ain't playing!

This is the episode where the series starts in earnest with a mad life size board game 400m underground via a lift straight out of MGS and we've finally left Kansas behind. It can be hard to watch Botan break something every 5 mins or so though, the x-ray shot of her teeth made me flinch hard. On a side note the choice to make everyone not in the principal cast eyeless is interesting if kind of creepy in class shots

Mawaru Penguindrum 18-20

What is that Child Broiler? I thought it was a symbolic place but it seems to actually exist, considering Shouma's father mentioned it. Also, it appears that Shouma and Kanba were aware of their parents' organization and unless they're Yuri tier actors, they had a lengthy flashback of being shocked when they learned the truth about their parents. Everything kind of fits to the motif of real and imaginary that the second OP presents, heh. Also, it's funny that essentially we got an explanation why all the Takakuras look different.

Ikuhara sets his shows in a world where there is essentially no distinction between symbolism and the thing being symbolized.

I was a big fan of it. This is a sort of science fiction I can get behind.

phaze

Got my little brother hooked on Haikyuu. At first he was like "volleyball is lame" but then 3 episodes later he activated binge mode.

Rewatched the first season with him and enjoyed it as much as I did the first time. This track here rules too: https://youtu.be/C7cpSFpIN3Q

Speaking of Haikyuu OST, anyone knows the name of the track that opens up episode S23 ? Spend quite a bit of time searching and still can't find it.

What is this from?... well the file says Mononoke so I guess I'll go with that.

Also, puruzi is kill? RIP

It's Mononoke indeed. First arc.

That's the whole gimmick of the show: all the characters are based on famous authors. Dazai's suicidal inclinations here are a direct callback to the author, who attempted suicide multiple times (including a lover's suicide that left his partner dead while he was rescued) before ultimately killing himself together with his mistress in 1948. His quasi-autobiographical No Longer Human was adapted in Aoi Bungaku. That series also has a few of Ryunosuke Akutagawa's short stories.

Atsushi Nakajima isn't as legendary a figure, but his most famous work, Sangetsuki, is about a poet who goes mad in his attempt to achieve literary greatness, and turns into a tiger.

Ah thanks, I was aware of the gimmic and Dazai, just thought the MC might be the one standout in the cast.
Mawaru Penguindrum 18-20

Also, it appears that Shouma and Kanba were aware of their parents' organization and unless they're Yuri tier actors, they had a lengthy flashback of being shocked when they learned the truth about their parents.

Ahh I was waiting for you to get to
the broiler stuff. Unfortunaly me memory is too fuzzy be to be able to answer you on that subject.

But regarding the truth about their parents. Wouldn't it be explained by them just being little kids and thus not paying attention/not remembering much ? I don't remember if the attacks were discussed freely in their presence.

Taruranto

CRAWLING IN MY SKIN #3

NZ22XTp.jpg

Looks like Edgelord is in town.

Wow, this was fucking bad. As soon they went the show went "dark" I start to cringe. The writing reminds me of a 12 years old chuuni fantasy more than anything.

Also it looks like whatherface survived getting gunned down. Sounds legit.

blurr

Mawaru Penguindrum 18-20

yes, the Child Broiler is an abstract symbolic place representing kids who have lost the chance for a proper future or as the show signifies, who have not had the fruit of fate

Cornbread78

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya ep. 4-6
hl4IQOk.png

I honestly think my brain just died a little bit from ep 5/6. I mean ep. 4 was clearly "filler" material, or just used to point out how "bored" she was so they played baseball... Either way it was funny, but not much substance. Then, ep, 5-6 happened. I guess it is a huge plot jump that describes what is going on with Haruhi, but man is it all over the place from long dialog/monologues about the world and more specific ideas about what is going on. Then you run into the "dream sequence" which bleeds into his consciousness, (as well as hers from the pony tail at the very end of the episode) That sequence was pretty good as Kyon finally figured out the hints being passed his way... Haruhi needs to find love to entertain her...

I could stop here and put out a ton of ideas man what I think is gong on, but man, this is gong to end up as all one big dream right? There are just waaay to many holes in the plot to make this a sci-fi SoL and I'm getting lost in the dialog explainations at time, outside of when Kyon is making funny quips... I'll leave it here for now, I need to go to lunch.

And you thought there is never a girl online? Episode 3 I thought net games and reality were different?

CglFe9cU8AE71ZZ.jpg

I do the same thing in games, Id go in in underpowered gear if it looked better than the default, but thats because the swim costumes and school costumes are always better looking than standard gear.

Great episode
I wish nekohimesan had actually been a guy, not the teacher

I honestly think my brain just died a little bit from ep 5/6. I mean ep. 4 was clearly "filler" material, or just used to point out how "bored" she was so they played baseball... Either way it was funny, but not much substance. Then, ep, 5-6 happened. I guess it is a huge plot jump that describes what is going on with Haruhi, but man is it all over the place from long dialog/monologues about the world and more specific ideas about what is going on. Then you run into the "dream sequence" which bleeds into his consciousness, (as well as hers from the pony tail at the very end of the episode)

I could stop here and put out a ton of ideas man what I think is gong on, but man, this is gong to end up as all one big dream right? There are just waaay to many wholes in the plot to make this a sci-fi SoL and I'm getting lost in the dialog explainations at time, outside of when Kyon is making funny quips... I'll leave it here for now, I need to go to lunch.

OK you've hit the turn in the series, I haven't finished S2 or the film so I can't comment on 'it's all a dream' but my own pet theory is that
Haruhi is an elder god. The show is really a existentialist Lovecraft-ian horror as everyone desperately tries to avoid her collapsing their existence through her getting bored or becoming aware of her true power

blurr

hl4IQOk.png

I honestly think my brain just died a little bit from ep 5/6. I mean ep. 4 was clearly "filler" material, or just used to point out how "bored" she was so they played baseball... Either way it was funny, but not much substance. Then, ep, 5-6 happened. I guess it is a huge plot jump that describes what is going on with Haruhi, but man is it all over the place from long dialog/monologues about the world and more specific ideas about what is going on. Then you run into the "dream sequence" which bleeds into his consciousness, (as well as hers from the pony tail at the very end of the episode) That sequence was pretty good as Kyon finally figured out the hints being passed his way... Haruhi needs to find love to entertain her...

I could stop here and put out a ton of ideas man what I think is gong on, but man, this is gong to end up as all one big dream right? There are just waaay to many wholes in the plot to make this a sci-fi SoL and I'm getting lost in the dialog explainations at time, outside of when Kyon is making funny quips... I'll leave it here for now, I need to go to lunch.

I love that baseball episode.

All of the scifi and maybe fantasy elements are something I adored, as I mentioned, it was the first of its kind for me, I liked how imaginative it is.

Just remember the more significant moments of every episode for the movie to make sense which shouldn't be hard.

Also yea, there are multiple fan theories for what's going on, I don't delve into them much but I like it when shows instill such nature of engagement among fans.

JulianImp

True, though that doesn't stop plenty of people here from liking the Monogatari series.

Ow.

No thanks I made myself uncomfortable enough with my own 'reasons why terrible element is somehow made less terrible by all the other elements that are really good' list :D

Edit: I think it's a series I reserve for folks who have already steeled themselves to ignoring the more unpleasant tropes of anime, once you've made that leap it's easier to get over their prominence in this series as the other elements are that good. I just couldn't recommend it as a series to arrive at cold

Yup. It's a very particular show in that the very first thing you see is a slow-motion shot of Hanekawa's panties as her skirt is lifted by the wind, and then it goes on to have many other moments that'd make most people uncomfortable (Karen toothbrush scene, Shinobu bath scene, everything Black Hanekawa, Nadeko playing games with Koyomi, him molesting Hachikuji and so on). At the same time, it also manages to make a show that's heavily centered around dialogues into something really dynamic and interesting, and explores and develops its cast in a way that is unlike most other series. Add Shaft's very experimental and abstract visuals to that and you get an anime that's just so good I feel like I can completely overlook all the blatant fanservice scenes.

I'd say the only character I actually like fanservice parts of is Suruga, since it's more like heavy teasing than straight-up fanservice ("meshiagare", huh), and it's also nice that Gahara fanservice is rather limited; but now that I think about it, it's like all the roles heavy on fanservice belong to thousand-year-old lolis and the MC's little sisters, which is certainly... deviant, I guess.

The thing with Monogatari is that the non-fanservice aspects of the show more than make up for the fanservice in my opinion, as opposed to series that use fanservice to cover up everything else being either mediocre or downright bad.

Qurupeke

Ikuhara sets his shows in a world where there is essentially no distinction between symbolism and the thing being symbolized.

Hmm, I see, it's an interesting take. He managed to make the show even more mind boggling than it is, I give him that. .
Ahh I was waiting for you to get to
the broiler stuff. Unfortunaly me memory is too fuzzy be to be able to answer you on that subject.

But regarding the truth about their parents. Wouldn't it be explained by them just being little kids and thus not paying attention/not remembering much ? I don't remember if the attacks were discussed freely in their presence.

I think they weren't explicitly mentioned, but both of them knew about the organization, its objective and they were at the meetings. I checked the scenes again though. I guess I can disregard it, as Himari probably didn't know about that and they wanted to keep the facade. And there were several cops too...

blurr

Worth mentioning that I saw Monogatari not very long after I started getting into anime - I didn't plan on watching the sequels because I was taken aback by the content (supernatural elements, fan service and presentation) but the humor and conversations left an odd impression so much that I started rewatching random funny scenes and dialogues on YouTube, eventually I succumbed and watched Nise, Neko and became a fan of it's unusual style.

The fan service is stand out but the core appeal of the show stands out just as good if not more.

/XX/

Hey, MikeHattsu! If you are reading this I have a visit suggestion for your All-Japan Travelog; the SASAYURI CAFE (@sasayuricafe).

Founded by veteran Studio Ghibli animation checker Hitomi Tateno, apparently a really classy and relaxing place worth of the studio's image, and just today they opened a little expo dedicated to legend Yasuo 'Mr. Jeep' Ōtsuka and his passion for sketching steam locomotives. It is situated precisely at the center of the Japanese animation industry microcosmos that is the neighbourhood around Nishi-Ogikubo Station, near Ghibli Museum, and is visited frequently by Ms. Tateno close pals & friends... personalities like Akihiko Yamashita, Kenichi Yoshida, Sunao Katabuchi, Hiromasa Yonebayashi or former boss Hayao Miyazaki!

I was a big fan of it. This is a sort of science fiction I can get behind.
Such a sweet, warm and easygoing take on that... with the way similar media likes to represent trivia of the (deep and cold) outer space it is worth of a special commendation. Yeah.

I pitty you if you need to justify your hobby.

Not so much the hobby but I wouldn't recommend say Irreversible to someone who casually expressed an interest in French cinema due to it's extreme violence or Indochine with it's weirdly languid pace. There are plenty of other choices that would allow a person to get into the form without starting them on the more challenging fare straight away.

Not so much the hobby but I wouldn't recommend say Irreversible to someone who casually expressed an interest in French cinema due to it's extreme violence or Indochine with it's weirdly languid pace. There's plenty of other choices that would allow a person to get into it without starting them on the more challenging fare straight away.

That's not the same as saying you are ashamed for watching anime.

Watching Haruhi in the wrong order - that's something very shameful!

Squishy3

The thing with Monogatari is that the non-fanservice aspects of the show more than make up for the fanservice in my opinion, as opposed to series that use fanservice to cover up everything else being either mediocre or downright bad.
The other nice thing about Monogatari other than the infamous toothbrush scene and a few others, it's rather tame, since like 80% of Monogatari is just talking while you watch the crazy backgrounds do their thing. And they also tone down the worst element after the first season, which was Araragi constantly threatening to do terrible things to Hachikuji.

Cornbread78

OK you've hit the turn in the series, I haven't finished S2 or the film so I can't comment on 'it's all a dream' but my own pet theory is that
Haruhi is an elder god. The show is really a existentialist Lovecraft-ian horror as everyone desperately tries to avoid her collapsing their existence through her getting bored or becoming aware of her true power

I love that baseball episode.

All of the scifi and maybe fantasy elements are something I adored, as I mentioned, it was the first of its kind for me, I liked how imaginative it is.

Just remember the more significant moments of every episode for the movie to make sense which shouldn't be hard.

Also yea, there are multiple fan theories for what's going on, I don't delve into them much but I like it when shows instill such nature of engagement among fans.

It's just a different way of story telling I'm not used to where everyone has their own idea of what is going on surrounded around Haruhi and Kyon. This is Haruhi's "world/dream" and everything else is just revolving around her world. I'm actually really interested in how it all plays out in the end, but I still have half of the first season, then the entire second season to go..

Future Boy Conan 1

Miyazaki's anti-war passion can already be strongly felt in this, his first work as director. I imagine he saw something of himself in the Grandpa chastising the soldiers for learning nothing from the Great Disaster (world-destroying post-nuclear war in here, but could be taken as analogous to World War II as well).

The reactive and fragmentary musical cues make the score feel like a silent film soundtrack, directly improvised to fit the action on the screen.

Special praise must be given to art director Nizo Yamamoto for fully realizing this post-apocalyptic world where the ruins of former civilization rest amidst nature.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Right, Monogotari is a franchise that can mostly overcome its more lurid elements because it both has an unusual style and it has a lot of actual substance going on under the hood. KumaMiko is a mediocre at best slice of life series that offers very little outside of a strange premise that is played way too straight for it own good. It is a series that is dragged down to the unwatchable category by the extremely uncomfortable jokes that just are not funny.

The other nice thing about Monogatari other than the infamous toothbrush scene and a few others, it's rather tame, since like 80% of Monogatari is just talking while you watch the crazy backgrounds do their thing. And they also tone down the worst element after the first season, which was Araragi constantly threatening to do terrible things to Hachikuji.

Monogatari without the other elements wouldn't be Monogatari.

It's really that simple.

Is moca news' event list still (as of today) the most complete one for Japanese animation related events? Are you people aware of any other more accurate one updated lately?

Seems like the second-to-last studio tradition by now. :-(

Well, I didn't expect to see a Minkowski diagram today in the anime thread, that's for sure.

blurr

It's just a different way of story telling I'm not used to where everyone has their own idea of what is going on surrounded around Haruhi and Kyon. This is Haruhi's "world/dream" and everything else is just revolving around her world. I'm actually really interested in how it all plays out in the end, but I still have half of the first season, then the entire second season to go..

you'll see why everyone has a theory of their own eventually - Haruhi's setting leaves untied knots at the right places for such 'fan theories' to come up

they explain a few things but then they themselves have multiple interpretations of it - some fantasy (espers) and some scifi (time travelers, aliens), forming a pseudo genre

zulux21

uh... since you are seemingly watching it in chronological order anyways I must say...

HOLD IT!!!!!!!!

stop what you are doing and take a look at this list as all of season 2 actually slots into season 1 (with one of the episodes actually being pretty early on). (one of the main reasons I don't recommend broadcast order after season 2 came out) and thus it is not the best idea to watch season 1 and then season 2. in fact when season 2 came out they merely were doing a full rerun with the episodes in chronological order.

episode list for chronological order.
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya I (Season 1)
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya II (Season 1)
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya III (Season 1)
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya IV (Season 1)
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya V (Season 1)
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya VI (Season 1)
The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya (Season 1)
Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody (Season 2)
Mystérique Sign (Season 1)
Remote Island Syndrome I (Season 1)
Remote Island Syndrome II (Season 1)
Endless Eight (Season 2)
Endless Eight (Season 2)
Endless Eight (Season 2)
Endless Eight (Season 2)
Endless Eight (Season 2)
Endless Eight (Season 2)
Endless Eight (Season 2)
Endless Eight (Season 2)
The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya I (Season 2)
The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya II (Season 2)
The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya III (Season 2)
The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya IV (Season 2)
The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya V (Season 2)
The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina Episode 00 (Season 1)
Live Alive (Season 1)
The Day of Sagittarius (Season 1)
Someday in the Rain (Season 1)
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (Theatrical Film)

note with endless eight. if you aren't feeling it just watch episodes 1,2 and 8 of it (I can't remember if the very end of 7 is important but I don't think it is)

you'll see why everyone has a theory of their own eventually - Haruhi's setting leaves untied knots at the right places for such 'fan theories' to come up
Absolutely one of the shows strong points, they managed to craft a story with multiple valid interpretations that doesn't feel like you're just making stuff up from whole cloth

Edit: The main reason I dislike chronological is that imposes it order on the chaos, having
The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina
just pop up was one of my favourite parts of Season 1. I'd save a chrono watch for your second go around,
I watched Endless Eight a few weeks ago and I think you're right that ep 7 is just another day

Deadly

Was all of the Haruhi LN animated? Any chance it will if it hasn't? I remember there was that whole drama about Aya Hirano (Haruhi's VA) but never followed up what happened after

Was all of the Haruhi LN animated? Any chance it will if it hasn't? I remember there was that whole drama about Aya Hirano (Haruhi's VA) but never followed up what happened after

The whole cast reprised their roles in the Yuki-chan spin-off last year, but I thought that show was kinda bad for all sorts of reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom