• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still haven't watched the third episode, but I'd probably be inclined to agree amnesia seems like a pretty bad cop-out when it comes to troperrific plots.

I mean, most of the season's bad shows embrace being bad (or just look bad, like AA), so Joker Game stands out because it apparently tries to be interesting and novel, so tropey stuff would stand out even more there as opposed to, say, Big Order or Mayoiga.

I really like the series so far, and I was perfectly fine with episode 3 despite the amnesia trope being one my most disliked tropes. It wasn't put in place for the usual "Here's how this person would naturally act if they had a different life background", they inverted it to say "These spies are so heavily trained that they can think and act mostly the same, even when they've forgotten their background." I didn't really buy the explanation, but I can ignore the absurdity given how much emphasis the show's already put on their training. The amnesia thing is also resolved by the end of the episode, so I'm overall I'm fine with episode 3 being a one-off episode that's mainly about Japanese presence in France before they formally enter WW2. It was enjoyable and sets the stage and timeframe for the rest of the series.

I'm also really digging Bungo Stray Dogs. This season is just full of shows of different genres that are really great watches.

Top picks so far:
Bungo Stray Dogs
Joker Game
Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto. (I think it's hilarious, I know some people disagree)
Re:Zero
Flying Witch

Hate watching:
Asterisk War
Hundred

Almost hate watching:
Lost Village (fingers crossed for it to start getting good)
My Hero Academia (it's fine, but god damn was it overhyped)

I guess I need to get on that Jojo train, I know tons of people are digging that. I read the first story arc of the manga and it didn't really click with me, though.

Fine, it can be another notch on Jexhius' belt, another classy anime he pushed on us like Silver Fang or Upotte!.

Holy shit, is Silver Fang one of the inspirations behind that fake 80's animal anime in Shirobako? I was wondering what they were drawing from for that!

And wow, I've been trying to find Upotte for a while! I saw a gif of it in one of the anime threads a long time ago, and I thought it was from Girls und Panzer. Then I watched that, and found out I was way wrong. I thought I'd never figure out what that show was!

One Week Friends 2-6

Pleasantly surprised that the memory loss hasn't been milked for as much drama as it could have at this point, and it's definitely got me intrigued on what the cause of her problems are after that last episode. Really enjoying this so far, although given the premise I'm still worried a bit that something could happen that'll make me completely lose my shit lol.

jgminto

One Week Friends 2-6

Pleasantly surprised that the memory loss hasn't been milked for as much drama as it could have at this point, and it's definitely got me intrigued on what the cause of her problems are after that last episode. Really enjoying this so far, although given the premise I'm still worried a bit that something could happen that'll make me completely lose my shit lol.
Oh riiiiight, I actually watched this....it was so forgettable I don't remember a single thing outside the premise. I don't even remember if I finished it or not.

Thanks so much! I thought Andes Chucky was a pastiche of shows from that era, I didn't realize that it was such a direct reference! Really got a kick out of comparing the two themes.

Whoops missed this post, thanks also!

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
There was this manga I read years ago about a witch(?) offering magical wares to various people so their wishes could be granted. This usually, but not always, ended in tragedy for the person who took the object. She was accompanied by a talking object, but I don't remember what that object was. Does anyone know what that manga is?
Mahou Gyoushounin Roma
Magic peddler roma

Qurupeke

People who watch Flying Witch should check out the superior countryside based SoL of the season, Kuma Miko. Better setting, better main characters(it has a bear), better and fluid animation, more interesting visuals, better humor, better sliceoflifeness, better OP and ED. The only downside are some indecent jokes but it still remains great.

duckroll

People who watch Flying Witch should check out the superior countryside based SoL of the season, Kuma Miko. Better setting, better main characters(it has a bear), better and fluid animation, more interesting visuals, better humor, better sliceoflifeness, better OP and ED. The only downside are some indecent jokes but it still remains great.

What about people who don't want casual bestiality and pedophila in their entertainment diet?

Twin Star Exorcists Episode 3

Am I imagining things, or did the colors look a bit drained out in the first part of this episode? I don't know if that was done on purpose or not.

Okay, aside from this fucking thing...
download.png

fuck this thing. This thing is almost as bad as Kon from Bleach.
...this show continues to be oddly enjoyable.

Narag

How many more witches does Kuma Miko offer over Flying Witch?

Qurupeke

It's worth pointing out that any folklore is full of legends and tales with a similar premise as the one that Kuma Miko presented. I can see why people find it disturbing though, so I don't really intend to defend this.
How many more witches does Kuma Miko offer over Flying Witch?
Flying Witch wins on that aspect.

Jex

Wow. I guess even Jexhius is an uncultured swine. :(
Sorry, folks! Much of Haurhi's original popularity seemed to grow solely from a certain segment of the internet that enjoyed silly memes. It never really seemed to penetrate beyond this group of internet denizens into mainstream recognition and as such it is a largely forgotten and unremarked upon relic of the last decade. It is not a work with lasting appeal or popularity.

Twin Star Exorcists Episode 3

Am I imagining things, or did the colors look a bit drained out in the first part of this episode? I don't know if that was done on purpose or not.

Okay, aside from this fucking thing...

...this show continues to be oddly enjoyable.

Hey now, Kon was great! At least he was relatively fleshed out and had an interesting backstory despite being the chew toy, unlike that annoying creature.

Hey, something I've always wondered was why doesn't Hatsune Miku have her own anime? I mean, I've seen 4-koma manga at Barnes & Noble for gobsake but we don't have no MIKU: THE ANIMATION.

I'm currently satisfied with 2 seasons of Miss Monochrome (the superior robo-idol) tho.

blurr

For me, Haruhi was the first of its kind when I watched it. I liked her character as a person (I know she bullies Mikuru and everyone but that's not the reason), part of me could relate to her ennui a lot and the fact that she's still so optimistic about things is something I admired.

I will admit, the TV series might not stand strong had I watched it recently but the movie is spot on.

Moaradin

I was looking for Slice of Life shows and that one looked the most interesting before the season started. But I'm not interested in any lewd or pedo shit in my Slice of Life shows.

Jintor

over time I have come around the roughly the same conclusion on haruhi. it helps that I think both Hyouka and Sound Eupho are both better series that are evolved versions of the cinematography and general directorial style.

kyon still great, movie still great, yuki kind of interesting, Someday in the Rain still a great episode where absolutely nothing happens and it's still kind of enthralling, haruhi would be a lot cooler if she was ever let in on this shit and not this weird tertiary/antagonist character you have to permanently keep out of the loop

genderbend fan universe kyonko da best

Russ T

Banned

If you can edit it to remove the pedo shit I'm in.

blurr

over time I have come around the roughly the same conclusion on haruhi. it helps that I think both Hyouka and Sound Eupho are both better series that are evolved versions of the cinematography and general directorial style.

Definitely, Hyouka is so much better on so many levels, I almost feel guilty for being a fan of Haruhi haha.

Unfollowed.

:(

I wrote that and then realized that you're the one with the Karen avatar haha.

Jex

Yeah, this sucks, though the show remains good.I guess I can still hope that they'll tone down such jokes. Though, I'm doubtful about that.
You know how bad that sounds, right? Just imagine trying to explain that to a non-anime viewing friend, or your parents.

"Yeah I like the show, it's pretty good. Apart from the paedophilia and bestiality stuff. Not a fan of that, but I like it anyway!"

Jintor

yeah, but i (or people in general) enjoy a lot of shit that's problematic in various ways while recognising their problematicness. (though usually not to that extent... at least, not without the problematicness being the point of the series, in some way or the other)

Wanderer5

Meh it on Funimation, and Flying Witch looks more relaxed with a interesting witch setup, plus doesn't have pedo stuff.:p

Jintor

it didn't pass the three episode test (I think I dropped it on ep 2), which is a shame, because I don't think I ever got to actually experience the wonders of Kuroneko.

Line_HTX

The moment I turned against Oreimo was towards the end of the 2nd season, and then I really really REALLY hated everything about it in those three extra episodes after that. Fuck that cancerous trash.

The moment I turned against Oreimo was towards the end of the 2nd season, and then I really really REALLY hated everything about it in those three extra episodes after that. Fuck that cancerous trash.
I liked the first few episodes in season 1 but then I was spoiled of the season 2 ending and I was just not in the mood for it ever again...

Man, I've been wanting some Ghibli Blu Rays for forever but they're always expensive :/ anyone ever try that Disney movie club thing? Lol

Qurupeke

You know how bad that sounds, right? Just imagine trying to explain that to a non-anime viewing friend, or your parents.

"Yeah I like the show, it's pretty good. Apart from the paedophilia and bestiality stuff. Not a fan of that, but I like it anyway!"
Yes, I know it doesn't sound very nice, but this is exactly the show I wouldn't recommend to someone like that. Considering it had references to AKB48 and an obscure music video, I'm sure they're not its target audience. On the other hand, I'm talking to people who watched a lot of different animes and I expect higher toleration. Also, there are shows with much more questionable content, so I'm not sure why this one has already gotten such a bad reputation. It seems people have the impression that the show is full of disturbing shit, but actually it's just 2-3 certain scenes that stand out. If you can successfully ignore those, you get an enjoyable show.

What about people who don't want casual bestiality and pedophila in their entertainment diet?
It would be a decent little slice-of-life series if not for that stuff... (the former particularly; I don't remember much of the latter from the manga version, though the anime is probably different. Haven't watched it yet.)

The other negative about Kuma Miko, and for me this is a big one, is that the MC girl is INCREDIBLY useless. The show pretty much goes full-on for useless-moe. I'm sure some people here love that, but I've never liked that stuff at all. I do like some parts of the Kuma Miko manga, but the degree of her uselessness is annoying. That manga chapter where she goes to a mall... gah. And of course, the girl x bear jokes are present sometimes, unfortunately. The two combine in 'she's useless unless bear is around!' 'humor'. Considering the creepiness there, I might not watch the anime.

Flying Witch, though, that's good stuff. Calm, nice, weird/amusing, no creepy elements at all... it's nothing amazing, but it is a nice little series.

Oreimo was always trash.
Some people were in denial about what OreImo really was. I wasn't, and correctly thought that the incest ending was obvious right from the start; this is why I dropped it after one episode. But for the people who were initially in denial, it was a big letdown later on, from what I hear...

This is definitely one of the problems of liking anime, so many of them have SOME element of the show that's messed up in some way... it certainly is possible to like something despite disliking some themes in it, but yeah, it can sound bad. Sometimes those themes are too much and I can't keep going with a show, though. It depends on the details.

D-Frag 2-3

Man this show is all sorts of crazy, I'm loving it. Chitose is a total freak, poor Takao haha.

Season two when? :(

Thoraxes

I don't know how many people in here watched the show, but I don't think I would say that that's anything near the focus of the show at all.

There are two instances I think people would consider tasteless scenes/gags in the first three episodes so far that last for about a whole thirty seconds combined, if even that. I get that you can't change the existence of those, but to call it a genre-defining focus of the show is grossly overstated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom