• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

It doesn't stop people from liking Wolf Children either.

G0olc0S.gif

uh... since you are seemingly watching it in chronological order anyways I must say...

HOLD IT!!!!!!!!

stop what you are doing and take a look at this list as all of season 2 actually slots into season 1 (with one of the episodes actually being pretty early on). (one of the main reasons I don't recommend broadcast order after season 2 came out) and thus it is not the best idea to watch season 1 and then season 2. in fact when season 2 came out they merely were doing a full rerun with the episodes in chronological order.

episode list for chronological order.
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya I (Season 1)
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya II (Season 1)
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya III (Season 1)
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya IV (Season 1)
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya V (Season 1)
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya VI (Season 1)
The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya (Season 1)
Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody (Season 2)
Mystérique Sign (Season 1)
Remote Island Syndrome I (Season 1)
Remote Island Syndrome II (Season 1)
Endless Eight (Season 2)
Endless Eight (Season 2)
Endless Eight (Season 2)
Endless Eight (Season 2)
Endless Eight (Season 2)
Endless Eight (Season 2)
Endless Eight (Season 2)
Endless Eight (Season 2)
The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya I (Season 2)
The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya II (Season 2)
The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya III (Season 2)
The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya IV (Season 2)
The Sigh of Haruhi Suzumiya V (Season 2)
The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina Episode 00 (Season 1)
Live Alive (Season 1)
The Day of Sagittarius (Season 1)
Someday in the Rain (Season 1)
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya (Theatrical Film)

note with endless eight. if you aren't feeling it just watch episodes 1,2 and 8 of it (I can't remember if the very end of 7 is important but I don't think it is)

you'll see why everyone has a theory of their own eventually - Haruhi's setting leaves untied knots at the right places for such 'fan theories' to come up

they explain a few things but then they themselves have multiple interpretations of it - some fantasy (espers) and some scifi (time travelers, aliens), forming a pseudo genre

OK, now my head is just spinning around as the order is spinning in my mind like a monogatari series here...

Do I watch straight through S1, or do I go by the chronological order? IfI go by the Chronological order, what are the episode numbers associated with the episode names? This is craziness, lol.

OK, now my head is just spinning around as the order is spinning in my mind like a monogatari series here...

Do I watch straight through S1, or do I go by the chronological order? IfI go by the Chronological order, what are the episode numbers associated with the episode names? This is craziness, lol.

No right answer really :D You've started in broadcast order and the need to swap over doesn't happen for a bit.

Use MAL to translate from # to names, S1, S2

Broadcast 4 lyfe

Cornbread78

Heh, damn straight.
And leave it to Cornbread to provide uncomfortable GIFs!

It was a beautiful scene, although one of the MAL reviews that gave the movie a "4" rating was hilarious...

Just the opening plot details:
1) woman in college gets pregnant after literally having sex with a wolf (calling him a wolf because he didn't even have the decency to change into a human for at least the duration of the act - call me a prude but I find bestiality really off-putting in a movie that is supposed to be about a cute family going about their lives),

No right answer really :D You've started in broadcast order and the need to swap over doesn't happen for a bit.

Broadcast 4 lyfe

well, according to his chart, I'm at the exact change time from Chrono to Broadcast and I'm not sure which way to go now.....

Defuser

Was all of the Haruhi LN animated? Any chance it will if it hasn't? I remember there was that whole drama about Aya Hirano (Haruhi's VA) but never followed up what happened after

It has plenty of material to do probably 2 or 3 seasons but the problem is:
1)Endless eight killed it.
2)Kadokawa have no plans and probably never will since that yuki-chan spinoff failed.
3)Tanigawa went GRRM Togashi Miura.

JulianImp

It has plenty of material to do probably 2 or 3 seasons but the problem is:
1)Endless eight killed it.
2)Kadokawa have no plans and probably never will since that yuki-chan spinoff failed.
3)Tanigawa went GRRM Togashi Miura.

Why would they even try with Yuki-chan was entirely beyond me. A spin-off show focused around her was bound to fail IMO, since she was the most boring character of the bunch. I'd even go as far as to say Tsuruya was a better character than her.

What a way to go though, I can only imagine the con calls and meetings to get that over the line

I polietly suggest that you cease and desist spreading slander about con men.

blurr

image.php

image.php

just need a hachikuji here to complete the trinity of degeneracy

I half expected someone to point out my avatar.

I realize (or at least assume) you point it out in a sarcastic way but really, I don't adore/endorse Ononoki out of "degenerate" reasons. I like her for the weird quirks of her personality and how much it juxtaposes with her design/appearance which is amusing in its own way.

my attempts to explain are again reflective of the burdens of being a fan of the show

zulux21

Broadcast 4 lyfe

is he in broadcast order? his post made it sound like episode 6 that he watched was the end of season 1. which would be chronological order o_O

pbayne

Texhnolyze 1-3

First ten minutes youd be forgiven for thinking "Is this a really artsy hentai?". Also its so dark at times i had to check the brightness of my tv.
The show is strangely hypnotic. You just get drawn in by it. I would say I wouldn't blame anyone for being turned off by the start though. Its like a Joyce book in that it has a very "fuck you, you adjust to my pace not the other way around." beginning.

I noticed Ryuutarou Nakamura must have worked on it immediately by the attention to detail in the sound design especially the sound for guns, its the exact same sound from Kino's Journey.

Kabaneri Episode 2
CgleRPkUUAAX-v4.jpg

I love the soundtrack especially the song with the vocals coming on while the femchar was being all epic and stunning. Ikoma was perfect too on the train
but the people keep being kind of dumb, if hes clearly talking, thinking, and saving lives, why push him off the train or say hes like the Kabane, especially after he saved the peoples lives not once, but twice even

Ikoma and Takumi at the beginning scene of laughter and being all psyched and pumped was the most memorable scene, such silly faces.

Hey, MikeHattsu! If you are reading this I have a visit suggestion for your All-Japan Travelog; the SASAYURI CAFE (@sasayuricafe).

Founded by veteran Studio Ghibli animation checker Hitomi Tateno, apparently a really classy and relaxing place worth of the studio's image, and just today they opened a little expo dedicated to legend Yasuo 'Mr. Jeep' Ōtsuka and his passion for sketching steam locomotives. It is situated precisely at the center of the Japanese animation industry microcosmos that is the neighbourhood around Nishi-Ogikubo Station, near Ghibli Museum, and is visited frequently by Ms. Tateno close pals & friends... personalities like Akihiko Yamashita, Kenichi Yoshida, Sunao Katabuchi, Hiromasa Yonebayashi or former boss Hayao Miyazaki!

Aha. Not sure if it's allowed to take pictures there if I go though.

Defuser

I've watch episode 1-6 of season 1 so far...

You posted a sceencap of the final broadcast. You should be watching in broadcast order which is
Code:
1. "The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina Episode 00"
2. "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 1"
3. "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 2"
4. "The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya"
5. "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 3"
6. "Remote Island Syndrome Part 1"
7. "Mystérique Sign"
8. "Remote Island Syndrome Part 2"
9. "Someday in the Rain"
10. "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 4"
11. "The Day of Sagittarius"
12. "Live Alive"
13. "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 5"
14. "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 6"

Edit :
How is it within 6 episodes you watch you describe baseball(boredom),dream sequence(part 5) and the screencap (part 6)? You can't be watching chronologically because melancholy is 6 episodes long and you said the plot jumps all over. So what kind of order are you watching?

Cornbread78

Netoge Yume ep.3
yulTJ2e.png

I want a gif of this scene as it was an awesome joke, lol.

Anyhow, this show is great. Good humor, good fun and a good heart it. It's not above some fanservice obviously, but it's far from the trashy experience I was expecting.... Yandere Ako is best Ako, lol.

zulux21

I've watched episode 1-6 of season 1 so far...

yeah that could be done in either way broadcast or chronological depending on how you are watching it. The DVD releases are in chronlogical order. (the limited editions had an extra disk in broadcast order though)
at least I think they are, I suppose I could check but I am eating :p
what were the episode titles?

Cornbread78

You posted a sceencap of the final broadcast. You should be watching in broadcast order which is
Code:
1. "The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina Episode 00"
2. "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 1"
3. "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 2"
4. "The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya"
5. "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 3"
6. "Remote Island Syndrome Part 1"
7. "Mystérique Sign"
8. "Remote Island Syndrome Part 2"
9. "Someday in the Rain"
10. "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 4"
11. "The Day of Sagittarius"
12. "Live Alive"
13. "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 5"
14. "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 6"

Edit :
How is it within 6 episodes you watch you describe baseball(boredom),dream sequence(part 5) and the screencap (part 6)? You can't be watching chronologically because melancholy is 6 episodes long. So what kind of order are you watching?

yeah that could be done in either way broadcast or chronological depending on how you are watching it. The DVD releases are in chronlogical order. (the limited editions had an extra disk in broadcast order though)
at least I think they are, I suppose I could check but I am eating :p
what were the episode titles?

This is another image from the episode 6 I just watched:

JTh0v8x.jpg

It's separated by "The melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" (S1) then "The melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (2009) which would be season 2, correct?

High School DxD S1

No this was crap, not irredeemable like some of the crap I've watched recently just largely forgettable nonsense with the occasional good joke but mostly just limped across the screen. The fan service was constant and ill proportioned enough to become pure noise, the rest of team were largely cookie cut and the only hint of anything interesting with Raisa was the
arranged marriage subplot. To be frank though that is telegraphed from ep 3 or 4 and is not worth the wait, it plays out how you think and they do nothing with it

Yeah this is another dud from that MAL list, if you want some fan service in your comedy and a show worth watching Demon King Daimo is where it's at (fan service is too intense to recommend without the health warning but it is funny and well written).

Edit: Yeah it's an awkward naming convention for S2 so I edited in a link to the MAL page for both earlier, here ya go

Defuser

This is another image from the episode 6 I just watched:

JTh0v8x.jpg

It's separated by "The melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" (S1) then "The melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (2009) which would be season 2, correct?

That screencap you posted is episode 14 which is part 6.

That list I posted is the actual broadcast order, the Melancholy arc is 6 episodes long, assuming if you watch chronologically where did the baseball fit in considering you watch only 6 episodes and you describe plot jump?

Clov

Funimation's BD of The Empire of Corpses releases in July. On a related note, Sentai's August slate was revealed; it includes Koufuku Graffiti on BD! I'll definitely try to pick that up when it releases.

zulux21

That screencap you posted is episode 14 which is part 6.

which at the very least means the only reason to watch things in broadcast order is gone (as the only reason for it is to make that episode the last episode because it's really the climax of the series)

which means he should just move fully to chronological as season 2 is far far FAR better when slotted into where it belongs.

Defuser

which at the very least means the only reason to watch things in broadcast order is gone (as the only reason for it is to make that episode the last episode because it's really the climax of the series)

which means he should just move fully to chronological as season 2 is far far FAR better when slotted into where it belongs.

I'm curious because what he said doesn't add up to either broadcast or chronological.

zulux21

I'm so lost now; everything fit story-wise..

I should just stop now and move along...

so...
broadcast order
the episodes are out of order, they sort of make sense, but it is hard to follow as they do stuff like jump away from the middle of a small arc to a completely different arc.

chronological order
the way things make the most sense, the way the stories were written ect.

broadcast order was amazing when it was airing and something quite unique, but I personally feel it was really a "you had to be there" type thing and doesn't really hold up anymore especially with the second season.

if I have been following your posts I don't think you know what a MIKARU BEAM!!!!! is yet, so there is still clearly more stuff worth watching there :p

Szadek

I'm still not sure of Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress.
Hopefully they looked at AoT and thought they could do it better and they aren't just doing it for the money.
So far it looks like the former and I hope it stays that way.
image.php

image.php

just need a hachikuji here to complete the trinity of degeneracy
How dare you! I'm not degenerated!
Now excuse me, I have to search the internet for a handful of very specific doujinshi.

Defuser

so...
broadcast order
the episodes are out of order, they sort of make sense, but it is hard to follow as they do stuff like jump away from the middle of a small arc to a completely different arc.

chronological order
the way things make the most sense, the way the stories were written ect.

broadcast order was amazing when it was airing and something quite unique, but I personally feel it was really a "you had to be there" type thing and doesn't really hold up anymore especially with the second season.

if I have been following your posts I don't think you know what a MIKARU BEAM!!!!! is yet, so there is still clearly more stuff worth watching there :p

You are missing the entire point of season 1. Considering of what they have to do in 1 cour If they have gone chronologically then the pacing at the end would be pointless and draggy because the climax finished in the middle which leaves no motivation to watch the rest. It's not about you have to be there thing.

Cornbread78

Anyone else notice that Funi dropped their "free" streaming (with commercials) when you use their new mobile app? It forces you to purchase a streaming plan now, or will not give you access to play-list...

Anyone else notice that Funi dropped their "free" streaming (with commercials) when you use their new mobile app? It forces you to purchase a streaming plan now, or will not give you access to play-list...

I mostly notice the new Max Headroom Mode (tm) where key scenes are stuttered out for extra dramatic effect

Edit Actual answer FunimationNow.ie doesn't offer any free mobile streaming

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress Episode 2:

I think it is very telling how much goodwill Wit Studio truly squandered on the first season of Attack on Titan given how recalcitrant the reviews have been toward this series.

zulux21

You are missing the entire point of season 1. Considering of what they have to do in 1 cour If they have gone chronologically then the pacing at the end would be pointless and draggy because the climax finished in the middle which leaves no motivation to watch the rest. It's not about you have to be there thing.

that was the point of the gimmick used with season 1 yes. (though the end of season 1 is also fine without the gimmick, not a huge climax but still fine) the gimmick not the entire point of season 1, the point of season 1 was obviously to adapt a story and sell more copies of the light novel :p

something that isn't remotely needed to enjoy the entire series as the movie is a wonderful cap to the series as well and thus chronological >>>>>>>>>>>> watching season 1 in broadcast and then watching season 2 in broadcast and then finally watching the movie.

plus the debate about what was gonna happen next with the random order was like 90% of the reason to enjoy the random broadcast order :p thus my you had to be there comment.

Ascheroth

Mawaru Penguindrum - 14

That... wasn't what I expected.
Yuri is literally Yuri. The prince was female all along. The identity of the diary thief. Momoka everywhere. God dammit. I just realized. Operation M. The Tragedy of M. Did that M stand for Momoka all the time? Ikuharaaaaaaa!
Also, Shouma you idiot!

Qurupeke

Mawaru Penguindrum [END]

I had some issues with certain plot elements,
like the fact that Ringo, the diary and Momoka/Penguin Himari barely played a role at the later part of the series, despite all of them being very important for the conclusion
, but that was an excellent series. Maybe more episodes, to flesh out everything more, or less episodes, to focus on the most central story lines, would be more suited to the show, but the result was acceptable. The strongest point of the show, the relationship between the Takakura family, was presented perfectly, and delivered one breathtaking finale.

I hoped the dynamics between Momoka and Sanetoshi would have been explored a lot more, I loved that scene on the library around the middle of the show. Also, the ending really was sad. I mean, everything worked out, and "punishment" was a central theme in the show, but the worst possible thing I could imagine happened. To be honest, it's not completely sad, but I hate this feeling of emptiness that follows this kind of " world resets". Also, no Ringo and Shouma, just when they finally revealed their feeling for each other. :'(
Outside of the plot, the show was pretty much perfect. I didn't like the artstyle much, but it actually fitted nicely to it and in the end I appreciated it. Moreover, strong imagery and several different visual themes are commonly used, mostly associated with fate, in one way or another. Oh, and great music, that Rock Over Japan song is amazing
and fitted perfectly at the ending

I'm kinda tempted to try to get into another work of Ikuhara, but I think I'll pass and move to something entirely different. I really don't believe I'll like Utena, despite probably being his best work afaik, and I couldn't get into Yuri Kuma Arashi at all when it aired.

Mawaru Penguindrum [END]

I had some issues with certain plot elements,
like the fact that Ringo, the diary and Momoka/Penguin Himari barely played a role at the later part of the series, despite all of them being very important for the conclusion
, but that was an excellent series. Maybe more episodes, to flesh out everything more, or less episodes, to focus on the most central story lines, would be more suited to the show, but the result was acceptable. The strongest point of the show, the relationship between the Takakura family, was presented perfectly, and delivered one breathtaking finale.

I hoped the dynamics between Momoka and Sanetoshi would have been explored a lot more, I loved that scene on the library around the middle of the show. Also, the ending really was sad. I mean, everything worked out, and "punishment" was a central theme in the show, but the worst possible thing I could imagine happened. To be honest, it's not completely sad, but I hate this feeling of emptiness that follows this kind of " world resets". Also, no Ringo and Shouma, just when they finally revealed their feeling for each other. :'(
Outside of the plot, the show was pretty much perfect. I didn't like the artstyle much, but it actually fitted nicely to it and in the end I appreciated it. Moreover, strong imagery and several different visual themes are commonly used, mostly associated with fate, in one way or another. Oh, and great music, that Rock Over Japan song is amazing
and fitted perfectly at the ending

I'm kinda tempted to try to get into another work of Ikuhara, but I think I'll pass and move to something entirely different. I really don't believe I'll like Utena, despite probably being his best work afaik, and I couldn't get into Yuri Kuma Arashi at all when it aired.

Personally I feel the art design, as well as the use of music, are Penguindrum's greatest assets.

Why don't you think you'd like Utena?

I really don't believe I'll like Utena, despite probably being his best work afaik, and I couldn't get into Yuri Kuma Arashi at all when it aired.

Utena is a much better show than Yuri Kuma with much much better character work. It's also a significantly better structured show than Ikuhara's other TV series. Don't let the talk of symbolism and such put you off either, you don't need to dive deep into that stuff to enjoy Utena.

I half expected someone to point out my avatar.

I realize (or at least assume) you point it out in a sarcastic way but really, I don't adore/endorse Ononoki out of "degenerate" reasons. I like her for the weird quirks of her personality and how much it juxtaposes with her design/appearance which is amusing in its own way.

my attempts to explain are again reflective of the burdens of being a fan of the show
Eh, I just like her eyebrows for some reason. And her color scheme is pretty neat.

Hmmm the lack of Mayoi is disturbing tho.

Qurupeke

Personally I feel the art design, as well as the use of music, are Penguindrum's greatest assets.
The art works perfectly on this, no doubt. I was just not very fond of the "shoujo manga"-like characters. Fortunately, it was very interesting visually and instead of being bland, the characters, and generally everything on the screen, stood out and. I can totally see why you consider them one of the show's strong points.
Why don't you think you'd like Utena?
Utena is a much better show than Yuri Kuma with much much better character work. It's also a much better structured show than Ikuhara other TV series. Don't let the talk of symbolism and such put you off either, you don't need to dive deep into that stuff to enjoy Utena.
Utena, as far as I've heard, seems a wilder ride than Penguindrum and I'm hesitant about trying something that surrealistic. The symbolism or deeper meanings didn't seem that hard to grasp on it, but I'm afraid that Utena will go overboard and I'm not sure I'd like to try something that's potentially very abstract. More or less the same fears I had with Evangelion, which I didn't like much.

Basileus' post is a bit reassuring, but still I have my doubts.

Utena, as far as I've heard, seems a wilder ride than Penguindrum and I'm hesitant about trying something that surrealistic. The symbolism or deeper meanings didn't seem that hard to grasp on it, but I'm afraid that Utena will go overboard and I'm not sure I'd like to try something that's potentially very abstract. More or less the same fears I had with Evangelion, which I didn't like much.

Basileus' post is a bit reassuring, but still I have my doubts.

Penguindrum starts more grounded than Utena to be sure, but by the end I don't think you could really say Penguindrum is less surreal/symbolist. Utena TV, that is; the Utena movie is another matter entirely.

Szadek

Utena is a much better show than Yuri Kuma with much much better character work. It's also a significantly better structured show than Ikuhara's other TV series. Don't let the talk of symbolism and such put you off either, you don't need to dive deep into that stuff to enjoy Utena.
I'm a really big fan of Yuri Kuma and even I think that Utena is way better.

pbayne

Don't be be put off by Utena. It's not that abstract or hard to really grasp. A lot of the symbolism is fairly simple and its repeated plenty throughout the show.

Plus its actual plot and characters are straightfoward enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom