• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I would've watched Kumamiko if she was sleeping with the bear.

It's funny because at the moment I'm reading a book about some tribesmen who can talk to animals and their women have a thing for bears.

You know how bad that sounds, right? Just imagine trying to explain that to a non-anime viewing friend, or your parents.

"Yeah I like the show, it's pretty good. Apart from the paedophilia and bestiality stuff. Not a fan of that, but I like it anyway!"

Being an anime viewer, you kind of accept the fact there's going to be some bad shit alongside the good stuff that you can't really find in other mediums. It sucks, but that's how it is these days.

Jintor

Listless Tanaka-kun 02

This school has to be a private school or something. Jesus christ. That building is like modern art. The grounds are huge. HUGE! A gakuen for sure!

Also, Tanaka has to be, like, 40kg or something. Or Ohta is god. He hefts that sucker full body like he's nothing!

I'm mildly annoyed because Miyano is more like a frigging elementary schooler in attitude than anything, but it works for the comedy, so whatever

---

okay that was pretty good

People who watch Flying Witch should check out the superior countryside based SoL of the season, Kuma Miko. Better setting, better main characters(it has a bear), better and fluid animation, more interesting visuals, better humor, better sliceoflifeness, better OP and ED. The only downside are some indecent jokes but it still remains great.

HNQo4GT.gif

No. Flying Witch > Kumamiko by a decent margin. It's OP is also much more fitting and chill, although the green outlining is ugly as hell.

People who watch Flying Witch should check out the superior countryside based SoL of the season, Kuma Miko. Better setting, better main characters(it has a bear), better and fluid animation, more interesting visuals, better humor, better sliceoflifeness, better OP and ED. The only downside are some indecent jokes but it still remains great.

Ep 3 was the tap out for me, I thought the joke in ep 1 about the town's founding myth had a 'Here's the Hans Christian Anderson original of that fairy tale' feel to it and because I didn't know that Macchi had been sent to buy
underwear
the reveal at the end of ep 2 was kind of cute. Ep3 though was just ugly, the age difference, her panicked expression, the sobbing for several lines after it all just played as upsetting rather than 'ha ha he's jealous of the bear' which is in itself bloody weird.

It's a real shame as some of the SoL stuff is great and DJ Kuma was inspired but when I'm enjoying funny SoL only to get blind sided by that kind of ugliness I can't deal. Flying Witch looks like it won't do that so I'll stick with that for my relaxing SoL

Thoraxes

Ep 3 was the tap out for me, I thought the joke in ep 1 about the town's founding myth had a 'Here's the Hans Christian Anderson original of that fairy tale' feel to it and because I didn't know that Macchi had been sent to buy
underwear
the reveal at the end of ep 2 was kind of cute. Ep3 though was just ugly, the age difference, her panicked expression, the sobbing for several lines after it all just played as upsetting rather than 'ha ha he's jealous of the bear' which is in itself bloody weird.

It's a real shame as some of the SoL stuff is great and DJ Kuma was inspired but when I'm enjoying funny SoL only to get blind sided by that kind of ugliness I can't deal. Flying Witch looks like it won't do that so I'll stick with that for my relaxing SoL

But she bought a t-shirt. Heattech is thermalwear for colder seasons.

phaze

So apparently Kenji Nakamura (Mononoke, Tsuritama, Gatchaman Crowds) is directing a Transformers Combiner Wars series for Machinima???

7d1c8-mononokereactiomifnr.gif

Bungou Stray Dogs 3

Not sure if I want to continue this anymore.

The dark tone shift about halfway through the episode really didn't work for me. Everything up until then has been very light and comic, including in all the potentially tense encounters so far. Even if the comedy was fairly typical, I liked how it was handled, brimming with energetic caricatures, never afraid to go as far as it took to visually sell all its tsukkomi-bokke routines. The protagonists are private detectives who certainly do dangerous shit, but everything seemed all in good fun, kind of like Libra in Blood Blockade Battlefront.

I have a somewhat difficult time squaring away the brutal death and buckets of blood in this episode with what I saw earlier, or with the "I'll get you next time," way the battle ended. I don't think the show can have things both ways.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since everybody seems (rightfully) weirded out by Junichiro and Naomi Tanizaki in this episode, I thought it'd be worth taking a little time to write about their literary inspiration, the Japanese author Junichiro Tanizaki.

I actually read one of Junichiro Tanizaki's books in a Japanese history class I took in college, his sibling's namesake, Naomi. In that novel from 1924, the main character, a well-to-do engineer, is obsessed with this exotic Western culture that is sweeping into Japanese life. He encounters the titular Naomi working in a cafe, and falling for her Eurasian looks and Western-seeming charms, decides he will raise this fifteen-year-old girl into his ideal mogal (modern girl). He takes her in and maintains a chaste relationship with her, giving her English lessons and encouraging her to become a modern Western-type lady, sophisticated and independent. However, in time he winds up in thrall to Naomi, conceding to all her desires. By the end of the book, they're married, but he sleeps alone as she entertains Western guests without him.

It's really a metaphor for Japan's singleminded obsession with the trappings of European culture at the time. It's a pretty good book.

According to Wikipedia, a lot of his works had erotic elements to them. Not just the Genji-esque raising of girls into ideal women, but Oedipal obsession, lesbianism, sado-masochism, and cuckolding. There's even mention of "NTR" in his personal life, with his rocky first marriage.

No word of brother-sister incest, though. I guess that's just anime/light novels for you.
Judging by the opening, the comedy was never going to last forever and things were always going to get hairy to an extent, though I agree there was a large disconnect in how things ended. Thanks for that write up, pretty enlightening. Is the main character based on anyone ?

Bungou Stray Dogs 03

Chiaki Omigawa survived to torture my ears some more. Dropped.

I wouldn't really mind this turning out as "edgy" (even more than it looked like from OP) for want of better word as it seemed to through most of this episode but with the
ending cop out
it doesn't seem like the apparent body countdown was more than ust a temporary raising of the stakes and pretty manipulative one at that. (How do you even survive two uzi magazines to the back) But I've to say it worked on me and the entire episode flew by in instant. There was some pretty neat action, the character interactions continue to amuse and some of the writing for example both twists with Dazai, with the last one neatly tying the episode with a bow, make things interesting. In other words, though I disregarded this show completely at the beginning of the season, this remains one of my highlights even more so than before.

Thoraxes

Ahhh I thought it was thermal underwear as at the start of ep 3 doesn't she complain about being measured in the store and people laughing?

I'll rewatch it later, but i'm guessing she didn't know what it was so she assumed it was underwear and was wrong? I know Uniqlo provides measurements for Heattech products so you can find the one that fits best though.

Technically they sell longjohns and the likes, but there are also Heattech shirts, innerwear (undershirts), leggings, socks, gloves, even dresses. Only reason I know any of this is because I was at one of their stores in Chicago this past weekend.

You know how bad that sounds, right? Just imagine trying to explain that to a non-anime viewing friend, or your parents.

"Yeah I like the show, it's pretty good. Apart from the paedophilia and bestiality stuff. Not a fan of that, but I like it anyway!"

True, though that doesn't stop plenty of people here from liking the Monogatari series.

pbayne

Giant Robo 1-3

Throws you in at the deep end plot wise. Way more complex than i thought it would be. There's some kind of allegory about fears of nuclear power going on but i don't know where they're going with it atm. Very character driven so far and a lot of the characters have pre-existing history and relationships which i do appreciate. If anything Robo itself is the least focused on thing so far oddly.

Shout out to how gloriously elaborate and OTT the action set-pieces are.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I watched Oriemo when I was young and naive and I thought it was just about a brother being really kind. :(

Of course by the second series I knew what it really was about and just stuck with it to watch a train crash.

One Week Friends 7-12

Well that ended up being pretty enjoyable overall, although I am kind of disappointed that Hase and Kaori didn't actually end up together by the end. I was kind of thinking at first that would have undermined the point of having her get better and make friends, but that's probably not the case since the show itself seemed to be pushing it quite a bit. I was thinking that the ending itself wrapped everything up pretty nicely, but I'm kind of curious now since I saw that the manga didn't end for about 6 months after the anime aired.

I will say I am a bit torn on this show overall on how it handled it's premise though. One the one hand I'm kind of disappointed that it didn't use the amnesia plot to it's full potential, on the other I'm kind of grateful it didn't since I'm also easily infuriated when it comes to drama, and that this kind of story could have easily done something that would just break my soul lol.

PKrockin

Yu Yu Hakusho is the most addictive anime I've ever seen. I'm up to the end of the first round of the Dark Tournament and despite the plot being razor thin at this point I can't help but keep watching for the outstanding animation and strength of the characters, especially Yusuke.

NUZ1Uis.gif

I watched Oriemo when I was young and naive and I thought it was just about a brother being really kind. :(

Of course by the second series I knew what it really was about and just stuck with it to watch a train crash.

Yeah, perhaps I was more credulous back then but I went into the show expecting the worst and wound up vaguely heartened. *shrug*

Yup that is the most frustrating thing about that show, I don't know how many times I've tried to construct an argument for it in my head for other people to watch it and given up. Toothbrushes

Why construct your own? Monogatari is the only fap bait that the anime fandom feels intellectually justified in liking, so there are plenty of defenses of it around to adopt :p

sonicmj1

Thanks for that write up, pretty enlightening. Is the main character based on anyone ?

That's the whole gimmick of the show: all the characters are based on famous authors. Dazai's suicidal inclinations here are a direct callback to the author, who attempted suicide multiple times (including a lover's suicide that left his partner dead while he was rescued) before ultimately killing himself together with his mistress in 1948. His quasi-autobiographical No Longer Human was adapted in Aoi Bungaku. That series also has a few of Ryunosuke Akutagawa's short stories.

Atsushi Nakajima isn't as legendary a figure, but his most famous work, Sangetsuki, is about a poet who goes mad in his attempt to achieve literary greatness, and turns into a tiger.

That's the whole gimmick of the show: all the characters are based on famous authors. Dazai's suicidal inclinations here are a direct callback to the author, who attempted suicide multiple times (including a lover's suicide that left his partner dead while he was rescued) before ultimately killing himself together with his mistress in 1948. His quasi-autobiographical No Longer Human was adapted in Aoi Bungaku. That series also has a few of Ryunosuke Akutagawa's short stories.

Atsushi Nakajima isn't as legendary a figure, but his most famous work, Sangetsuki, is about a poet who goes mad in his attempt to achieve literary greatness, and turns into a tiger.
I know phaze was the one who asked but thanks for the insight. I appreciate reading stuff like this in the thread.

Aki-at

Most of them would probably have a hard time processing the fact I still watch cartoons.

So I'd like to show them the Prison School shower scene so they can understand what level of depravity I've fallen into.

Thanks for the insight, I take it you were familiar with these authors before the show? I was tempted by this but my lack of familiarity with Japanese authors meant I was afraid I'd be missing important character context, do you think knowing these authors has improved your enjoyment of the show?

Your explanation of Naomi and the way that feeds into my own vague knowledge of the strongly nationalist reaction to the Wall St crash and subsequent rejection of western styles that had been in vogue during the prior decades makes some of what I've read on here about ep 3 make more sense. Without that I'd probably have just seen the beginning and figured that it was another walk down to trope town (which it also was in some ways). To be frank I think I may be better served reading your posts after each episode and then watching it so I've some idea of what's going on with each author.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Seen both, Flying Witch doesn't make me want ot take a sits bath, so it wins.

zulux21

Yu Yu Hakusho is the most addictive anime I've ever seen. I'm up to the end of the first round of the Dark Tournament and despite the plot being razor thin at this point I can't help but keep watching for the outstanding animation and strength of the characters, especially Yusuke.

NUZ1Uis.gif

im just gonna say...
I'm quite curious how you will react to the next arc.
and even more curious how you will react to the arc after that :p

I don't think anybody knows.

If this show were to be airing on TV only in Japan I would kinda doubt it, since that would mean stealing another show's time slot. But this being streamed and all, they could just easily publish both at the same time. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
If this show were to be airing on TV only in Japan I would kinda doubt it, since that would mean stealing another show's time slot. But this being streamed and all, they could just easily publish both at the same time. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Yea, the thing is it is airing on TV, so just expect the one episode today.

Shouldnt it just be one, their twitter accont has only been spamming episode 2 and their site only has 2 and no page for 3.

Yea, the thing is it is airing on TV, so just expect the one episode today.

What a shame. Hopefully this doesn't mean we get no finale this season because of the delay. I don't want another Blood Blockade problem in our hands, having to wait for a slot to be free to play this last episode.

Line_HTX

What a shame. Hopefully this doesn't mean we get no finale this season because of the delay. I don't want another Blood Blockade problem in our hands, having to wait for a slot to be free to play this last episode.

I hope it doesn't come to that, and thankfully it's not BONES doing the finale.

:p

Fuji TV usually has buffer weeks between shows, so there shouldn't be a problem getting the last episode broadcast, as long as it's completed on time. The main reason for the Blood Blockade Battlefront finale delay wasn't so much a lack of TV space to air it as much as Rie Matsumoto taking a long time to complete the storyboard.

I thought that had multiple production issues, they did have that week where we got a recap episode as well.

Fuji TV usually has buffer weeks between shows, so there shouldn't be a problem getting the last episode broadcast, as long as it's completed on time. The main reason for the Blood Blockade Battlefront finale delay wasn't so much a lack of TV space to air it as much as Rie Matsumoto taking a long time to complete the storyboard.

Yes I know this, I wanted to use the example of a show that we had to wait for months just to see the last episode.

blurr

Monogatari is the perfect anime in that it encapsulates both the very best and very worst anime has to offer in one series

Yep.

It's hard to give people the impression that I'm not exactly liking it for "that" when it's the first/prominent thing they pick from watching the show. A friend of mine still doesn't trust me over my reasons. I don't care what people think at this point.

Why construct your own? Monogatari is the only fap bait that the anime fandom feels intellectually justified in liking, so there are plenty of defenses of it around to adopt :p

No thanks I made myself uncomfortable enough with my own 'reasons why terrible element is somehow made less terrible by all the other elements that are really good' list :D

Edit: I think it's a series I reserve for folks who have already steeled themselves to ignoring the more unpleasant tropes of anime, once you've made that leap it's easier to get over their prominence in this series as the other elements are that good. I just couldn't recommend it as a series to arrive at cold

Cornbread78

Twin Star Exorcists Episode 3

Am I imagining things, or did the colors look a bit drained out in the first part of this episode? I don't know if that was done on purpose or not.

Okay, aside from this fucking thing...

...this show continues to be oddly enjoyable.

AYXcVIc.gif

Yeah, he's really annoying and cannot hold a candle to the 1 true mascot:
ULqGikD.gif

I'm really enjoying this show though. It's probably my favorite of the season so far, just because of it's tone alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom