• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascheroth

I still like to view it as a mix of legit eerieness and creepy atmosphere combined with goofy dark comedy, heavily leaning towards the latter after the initial couple episodes.

Qurupeke

Oh god the girl in Another has that bandage eyepatch thing going on. Is that supposed to be cute cause I've seen a bunch of anime girls sporting it and it always just made me feel squeamish. Like, what's under there and how icky is it?

bHK4Cep.jpg

Actually, it's to keep the dormant power in check!

Blasted through this today and I think it might be my favourite of the season. The genre of 'maybe-horror' is possibly my favourite and this show absolutely nails it. Every supernatural thing that has happened so far has a completely logical and more likely mundane explanation, but it's completely understandable that everyone is as freaked out as they are.

Are there any other mystery anime like this? I'd really appreciate something of this style that I won't have to wait week by week for.

It sounds like you would enjoy Mouryou no Hako, a mystery show set in post-World War II Japan involving a complex web of troubled people who get involved in a serial murder case.

This for me has been the crux of the issue, there are just better shows out there for me to spend more of my time on. There was one poster a week or so back said that the main enjoyment will come wither you can connect or enjoy Dekus plight and unfortunately for me that hasn't been the case so all the emotional scenes just fall flat.

Looking at Kenjis impressions it's probably a good reason I did drop it too since I'm more bored with the usual routine of self doubt Deku goes through a episode. Just not my thing.

My main problem is also the main characters. I don't like the MC, he's too nice in an annoying way.

If you compare MHA to manga then it's in an even worse position cuz HxH is back and ain't no one beating that

Beating in what? Number of hiatus'?

As far as I can tell, the things it does differently are the reasons people either love or hate it. "It's not like everything else so it's terrible!" vs "it's not like everything else so it's great!" Not everyone's reactions can be boiled down so simply, but it sure does seem like the common thing.

But it DOES do things like everything else. It's consistent, but it's not unique by any means. It's not Fairy Tail levels of generic, but it ain't special either.

Russ T

Banned
But it DOES do things like everything else. It's consistent, but it's not unique by any means. It's not Fairy Tail levels of generic, but it ain't special either.

It does a lot of things like everything else (albeit with a massive dose of earnestness that many other series lack - sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse). But

a) it doesn't start with the MC already fighting in episode one
b) it doesn't have any rad fights even within the first few episodes
c) it doesn't introduce any real villains until... will they even be introduced in these 13 episodes?

Those are all pretty different from the typical fare. And have been cited as reasons people are completely uninterested in MHA.

I think you assumed I was talking about the theme/setting/overarching plot, rather than what I was actually talking about, which are the individual events that happen.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Fairy tail isn't generic, Fairy Tail is offensively bad. Nakama power is a real tangible thing thing, every villain is insanely hyped up and then jobs instantly like clockwork with little effort. A character does shit because she's just that awesome, logic or explanation be damned. Inconsistencies abound and reptition thy name is. You'd have to actively try to be as bad as Fairy tail is. Mashima is anything but lazy, the guy almost never has a break had periods of releasing 2-3 chapters at a time for a weekly series and manags a few thousand spinoffs. His work ethic is impressive and I would respect him if it didn't seem like he actively tries to write a bad story.

Cornbread78

ReZero ep.4
SoGood.gif... I love the tone and interactions in the show, especially ones between Subaru and Emelia. Now onto the mystery on what happened in his sleep.

Gvitor

Re:zero 4

So, we're thinking he got killed in his sleep or alongside the death rewind he also has a 5-day time limit? I'm leaning towards the first, but the second could also be interesting.

RE ZERO 4

This and Kabaneri are the best shows this season. The difference is RE Zero is pretty much 5 eps in (1 hours season premier) and still really good while Kabaneri is only 2. The pacing for RE Zero is good and the main character is appealing. In a few eps it will catch up to the manga so while I'm watching this knowing how things proceed to an extent, I can see some material that wasn't adapted in the manga that makes me appreciate the anime a lot more so far. It's also helpful to have the twins in color.

It does a lot of things like everything else (albeit with a massive dose of earnestness that many other series lack - sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse). But

a) it doesn't start with the MC already fighting in episode one
b) it doesn't have any rad fights even within the first few episodes
c) it doesn't introduce any real villains until... will they even be introduced in these 13 episodes?

Those are all pretty different from the typical fare. And have been cited as reasons people are completely uninterested in MHA.

I think you assumed I was talking about the theme/setting/overarching plot, rather than what I was actually talking about, which are the individual events that happen.

That's arguably even worse because those are events reserved for when the series has already gained an identity of its own. Filler and downtime are terrible to open up an optimistic battle series with if they're going to dwell on it.

Individual events are important, and starting out a series with a training arc is not a good look. Disregard that and all MHA has going for it is tone, which is admittedly pretty good in animated form.

MHA is not a bad series, but it has a crappy beginning. Genre-shifting battle series like Reborn and Negima have better introductions.

And this is where we differ, proving my point!

The thing is what you described can absolutely be good if the writing is there. Gurren Lagann is a great example. Protagonist is weak, doesn't start out fighting, identity of the villains are vague, etc. It's executed fantastic there. It's not in MHA.

Just T

Flying Witch: 3

Fun episode, thought the sister would stick around longer.

Tanaka-kun is Always Listless: 3

Miyano provides more than enough energy for this show. Also this episode inadvertently reminded me that I would like a Yandere Kanojo anime.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
That's arguably even worse because those are events reserved for when the series has already gained an identity of its own. Filler and downtime are terrible to open up an optimistic battle series with if they're going to dwell on it.

Individual events are important, and starting out a series with a training arc is not a good look. Disregard that and all MHA has going for it is tone, which is admittedly pretty good in animated form.

MHA is not a bad series, but it has a crappy beginning. Genre-shifting battle series like Reborn and Negima have better introductions.

Honestly didn't mind the begining to it, It set up and defined the protagonist, gave weight to his future experience and honestly didn't find it that boring. It was basically a extended version of Luffy's Origin story. My problem was the pay off was way too slow/not worth it. One piece started out very slow but it at least had a hook, recruit new crewmembers explore new areas etc. MHA hook isn't as interesting.

Aki-at

My main problem is also the main characters. I don't like the MC, he's too nice in an annoying way.

Yeah neither the protagonist nor his rival are particularly endearing to me, All Might is the exception, mind you we've only had three major characters by episode 3 but I've dropped the show so I don't know if this improves or not later on. For me if the show was going to rely on those two it better have made sure their interactions or plots were compelling enough for me to wish to see more but that wasn't the case.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Maybe I just don't like the way the hero thing is set up in MHA as opposed to ConRevo, I don't know...

But I'm not giving up on it just yet. I'll wait until it finishes so I can power through it in one go.

I suppose that is another thing that is holding MHA back now that I think about it it. The super hero premise feels mostly like a coat of paint compared to other super hero anime that we have seen.

Yeah neither the protagonist nor his rival are particularly endearing to me, All Might is the exception, mind you we've only had three major characters by episode 3 but I've dropped the show so I don't know if this improves or not later on. For me if the show was going to rely on those two it better have made sure their interactions or plots were compelling enough for me to wish to see more but that wasn't the case.

I feel exactly the same. Rival seems to be there just to make the MC look good.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
All Might is really the only one who doesn't come across as a stock shonen character we have seen a thousand times before not to mention that Deku and Kacchan have that by-the-number shonen rivalry that I am beyond bored of by this point.

Cornbread78

Date a Live ep.3
As much nonsense thar goes on, that wasn't that bad an episode.. I'm shocked, lol. I'm not sure how Shido survived, but hey, he got his kiss to end their first "date" (that princess I'd donething...)
after his girlfriend killed him
, lol

I think most fans of MHA dislike Bakugou. (Or they're at least apathetic to him.)

He sucks, and the story would be so much more fun without him.

dan2026

I'm surprised the MHA anime is becoming so divisive. When the manga is fairly universally popular.
It's not like it's a bad adaption or anything.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I'm surprised the MHA anime is becoming so divisive. When the manga is fairly universally popular.
It's not like it's a bad adaption or anything.

My surprise is not that it is divisive, I called that early but rather how it has become the show to argue about this season. I thought it was going to be Kanbari or Mayoiga or even Kiznaiver yet here we are.

I'm not exactly a fan of Bakugo, but I have to say I do find something refreshing about him when it comes to the shows I watch.

The kid is legit dangerous and has next to no redeeming qualities personality-wise whatsoever. He's an absolute ass to literally everybody around him, not just Deku. It's hard to remember any times where I didn't feel like he was gonna blow somebody up in a rage.

All this is because he wants to be overwhelmingly better than everyone else. That's it. No tragic past or anything. There's no foreshadowing to any pain he feels about what he does or anything.

I can't remember the last time I've seen a character like Bakugo be the kind of person he is without those traits in a effort to make him sympathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom