• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Mushishi ep.1
tumblr_mk1g5y2CxE1qlfs5qo1_400.gif

It was finally time to give this one a go and right away you can tell the atmosphere crafted in the show was gonna be good the short mystery aspect of the show was a reminder of Mononoke, but I like the ambiance in music and sound much more on this (so far) and the story was short but interesting. Hopefully, it stays that way and keeps me engaged throughout.

e_i

I don't care what anybody says, but Izuku's mom is the kawaiiest girl in the MHA.

And holy shit at Flying Witch being one of the most popular shows on CR.

sonicmj1

Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou 3

I love this show so much. It's so vibrant, expressive, and delightful.

So much of its appeal for me comes down to the music. I'm exploring Japan's DJ culture right alongside Agetarou, and it's awesome to really be able to hear all the concepts being explored (in this episode, the Long Mix and Quick Mix) through the medium of sizzling hot beats. It's really got the vibes.

Shout out to the Low End Theory reference on one of the record covers.

From the New World 19

This was a well made episode with lots of good animation, and it was reasonably effective at portraying a tense horror atmosphere. But at this point I just have to say that, while I admire his visual experimentation and creativity, Masashi Ishihama has certain persistent directorial quirks - fast parallax scrolling, continual fades to black, sudden rapid cuts between shots - that annoy me whenever they crop up. Unless he eventually reins them in, I don't think he'll ever be a director I especially like.

Tuck

Mushishi ep.1

It was finally time to give this one a go and right away you can tell the atmosphere crafted in the show was gonna be good the short mystery aspect of the show was a reminder of Mononoke, but I like the ambiance in music and sound much more on this (so far) and the story was short but interesting. Hopefully, it stays that way and keeps me engaged throughout.

Mushishi is magical. A wonderful show. Though I still have 10 episodes of season 2 to watch.

Line_HTX

Mushishi ep.1

This one is one if my favorite calm relaxing series and a continuous journey like Kino's Journey.

John Blade

Well...just have some time to bring up my entire anime collection I have own and now taking picture of them. Kinda a record for myself and also, if I ever want to sell, I can use this picture to show how they're. Also, I am a bit fatigue with watching anime for now mostly from my work. Not done taking all the picture yet but will update it quite frequently.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskyTrZ1R

Now, I need some motivation to go back watching the backlogged I have right now...

e_i

RE: Zero episode 4

Satomi Arai is in the house, bitches.
Also, I might drop this show after listening to the stupid fuck Roswaal talking. The whole time I was listening to him I wanted to stab myself in the ears.

John Blade

No reason to force yourself if you feel you need a break. It's not going anywhere.

I know....just want to get through the backlogged of anime I have collect or interested to watch. It's kinda funny how I manage to get through quite a bit from last year but this year, my watching slow down. I guess watching non stop for this long, you get tired quickly and want to stop.

Welp, guess this is my consequence of buying too many anime but never have the chance to finish all. The circle of hell for me.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Also, I might drop this show after listening to the stupid fuck Roswaal talking. The whole time I was listening to him I wanted to stab myself in the ears.

You thought it was an irritating voice, but it was me! Takehito Koyasu!

XSIG9sg.gif

why is Re:Zero so good and can we get some Figuarts Academia pls

Aki-at

Kumo Miko - 4

After reading about bullying what I got was actually pretty tame. Not much happened but Michi going full God of Fashion mode made me laugh.

D-Frag 8-9

Takao's got some really rotten luck, I felt pretty bad for her by the end of episode 8 that I even had exhale a "awww" when the
end credits scene of her changing to impress Kazama only to find him gone.
Episode 9 is probably my favourite episode of the series, spikey hair gene, boobs mcgee, big sister Kazama, haha such a brilliantly funny episode.

Cornbread78

Mushishi ep.2
Damn, them eyeballs, that was something else! Hopefully, that boy keeps helping Sui adjust to actually being able to have
sight again with her synthetic eye
With that part bring a simple question, are their good and bad mushi?

duckroll

From the New World 19

This was a well made episode with lots of good animation, and it was reasonably effective at portraying a tense horror atmosphere. But at this point I just have to say that, while I admire his visual experimentation and creativity, Masashi Ishihama has certain persistent directorial quirks - fast parallax scrolling, continual fades to black, sudden rapid cuts between shots - that annoy me whenever they crop up. Unless he eventually reins them in, I don't think he'll ever be a director I especially like.

Ishihama is very much like a music video director, so those things will always stick out. He uses manipulation of visuals to evoke certain emotions and feelings. It's very effective in short spans of time, like in a 90 second OP/ED, but it can feeling incredibly pretentious over the course of an entire episode or movie.

Re:Zero 04

Holy shit at that ending. Episode was all fun and games until that happened. I do wonder if Subaru will be too dense to figure out what happened, much like when the "respawning" first happened. The ending caught me off guard, it was a pretty nice twist.

Crocodile

Stumbled upon this ending song from an anime called Legendz or something. Not familiar with the show (seems like its a kids show with weird anthropomorphic Dragons) but man is that ending theme BUMPIN' Apparently it was sung by Brenda Vaughn but when I look her up on ANN, this show is the only thing she's oone? I wonder how this English fluent singer ended up on this show and nothing else.

Jarmel

Banned
Ishihama is very much like a music video director, so those things will always stick out. He uses manipulation of visuals to evoke certain emotions and feelings. It's very effective in short spans of time, like in a 90 second OP/ED, but it can feeling incredibly pretentious over the course of an entire episode or movie.

That's a weird way to phrase that criticism.

Stumbled upon this ending song from an anime called Legendz or something. Not familiar with the show (seems like its a kids show with weird anthropomorphic Dragons) but man is that ending theme BUMPIN' Apparently it was sung by Brenda Vaughn but when I look her up on ANN, this show is the only thing she's oone? I wonder how this English fluent singer ended up on this show and nothing else.

Did you miss her song in Eden of the East?

JulianImp

Re:Zero #4
This show continues to be surprisingly good. We got some decent developments and a fairly fun SoL episode. I love how the show added a slight twist to the MC's "ability", since
having him wake up in a different branch without neither him nor us knowing how he got there
was a very interesting and most intriguing development.

...And here I was thinking it was just going to be yet another boring isekai RPG anime. I'm really glad I didn't decide to drop it halfway through e1p1 when it still looked like a generic show.

I don't think I've ever articulated it like this, but a music video director is a good way to describe him. Sustaining longer narratives does not seem to be a strong suit of his.

I know nothing about Legendz, but if you look in the Youtube comments there you'll see several people pointing out she also did a song for Eden of the East. Her VGMdb profile shows that she's also done a fair bit of work for Bemani games.

Cornbread78

Re:Zero 04

Holy shit at that ending. Episode was all fun and games until that happened. I do wonder if Subaru will be too dense to figure out what happened, much like when the "respawning" first happened. The ending caught me off guard, it was a pretty nice twist.

Poor guy isn't going to get his date now though.

duckroll

That's a weird way to phrase that criticism.

I think it's relatively accurate given Ishihama's background though. He's a good animator, but his directing experience mostly comes from OP/ED sequences which are designed as music videos montages rather than narrative form. He's pretty good at capturing the essence of the music flow and creating visuals which complement the beats and tempo, and he extends this to his direction in TV and film as well. When it comes to capturing the mood, it totally works. But sometimes the flow of the actual narrative is lost in the process.

Cornbread78

Well at least he still has his
life
aha. I feel like the very first thing he's gonna complain about is that though

Yup, was an interesting twist, but let's see what happens now. He also gets to redo his
request from that weird guy
so that could change things quite a bit as well.

My Bride is a Mermaid ep.17
This may be the 1 tine that thete might have been toouch craziness going on, but it was still funny to watch. Hopefully, it gets back on track next episode and that damn inspector goes away soon.

Crocodile

Did you miss her song in Eden of the East?

I know nothing about Legendz, but if you look in the Youtube comments there you'll see several people pointing out she also did a song for Eden of the East. Her VGMdb profile shows that she's also done a fair bit of work for Bemani games.

I'm so used to ignoring Youtube comments that I ddin't even bother to check LOL. As for Eden of the East, I never watched that show. I've heard of it of course but I never got around to it and I heard the ending was bad. Is it a show I should check out? There's also a movie right?

Oh boy, tomorrow will bring us another exciting episode of Hundred.

It's been a long week, but we can finally learn more about the lore of Hundred.

JulianImp

Kumamiko #1
It looks like things aren't going to get any less creepy from what other said in here, but they really went all out here. First there's obvious implications of bestiality, then mental images of bear-on-underage-miko action as pictured by grade schoolers? Really?

Memes are bad, but this is the one show that is worthy of a certain memetic seal of approval.

Narag

Oh boy, tomorrow will bring us another exciting episode of Hundred.

It's been a long week, but we can finally learn more about the lore of Hundred.

Episode is titled "Bodyguard" but we don't know for certain whose body Hayato will guard. Gonna be good.

Tuck

Kiznavier - 3
This continues to be awesome. Way better than I was expecting. Love all the characters and the story so far.

Could do without the generic high school setting but oh well.

Animation remain solid.

Yup, was an interesting twist, but let's see what happens now. He also gets to redo his
request from that weird guy
so that could change things quite a bit as well.

Oh yeah that's right! Ahaha wonder if he will take the easy route this time around, or if he'll just pick the same thing.

Cornbread78

Sankarea ep.7
Damn; childhood friend despair all the way. If she, herself watches anime, then she should know that she has no shot at all. You just have to feel bad for her, even though you shouldn't since they're cousins and all, but hey, her parents are all for it.

blakep267

Interesting ep of Re:Zero. I guess somebody in the house, mainly the house head didn't like him getting so close to Emilia
and killed him in his sleep

At first I thought it was like if he survived a day then that would be the new jumping off point; but he lasted like a week and got reset back at the beginning so I guess it works like a checkpoint system and he has to complete some kinda goal to avoid being sent back to far

Re:Zero #4
This show continues to be surprisingly good. We got some decent developments and a fairly fun SoL episode. I love how the show added a slight twist to the MC's "ability", since
having him wake up in a different branch without neither him nor us knowing how he got there
was a very interesting and most intriguing development.

...And here I was thinking it was just going to be yet another boring isekai RPG anime. I'm really glad I didn't decide to drop it halfway through e1p1 when it still looked like a generic show.

Interesting ep of Re:Zero. I guess somebody in the house, mainly the house head didn't like him getting so close to Emilia
and killed him in his sleep

At first I thought it was like if he survived a day then that would be the new jumping off point; but he lasted like a week and got reset back at the beginning so I guess it works like a checkpoint system and he has to complete some kinda goal to avoid being sent back to far

Yeah I interpreted it the same way, he was killed in his sleep without him realizing it which reset him back to the start of that plotline. I think you're spot on about the checkpoint system, given how much he references games/other anime tropes in the genre.

Really like this show. MC of the year, his personality carries the whole show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom