• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting upset over that is like that dude that caught feelings over Heavy Object.

It's obvious he isn't serious chill

I normally wouldn't be upset had it not been for the fact that I just made a series of tweets explaining why these kinds of posts are bad, and soon after I see that.

It happening once or twice is one thing, but I'm seeing passive-aggressive remarks like that a lot more nowadays.

Narag

I normally wouldn't be upset had it not been for the fact that I just made a series of tweets explaining why these kinds of posts are bad, and soon after I see that.

It happening once or twice is one thing, but I'm seeing passive-aggressive remarks like that a lot more nowadays.

They've always been there, you're just now noticing them though.

KraytarJ

Re: Zero 04
This show is honestly way better than it should be and things continue to intrigue this week now that it appears
the time travel is not only caused by death
. Interested to see where this goes next week.

Kiznaiver 03
So now we know who the 7th sin is and of course it's a masochist. Overall another solid episode, it's certainly been enjoyable enough so far but it feels weird that the best Trigger show this season is a little short they're doing on the side. Although I must say I really enjoyed the way the sins were described at the pitch for the Kiznaiver project, and of course Niko continues to be amazing.

Ascheroth

This show is honestly way better than it should be and things continue to intrigue this week now that it appears

I'm pretty sure the implication was that
he was killed in his sleep.

T-Rex.

Banned
I thought
he was killed by the lord?

Rainbow Days Episode 15

Everyone is finally paired up and its kind of refreshing. Though maybe its refreshing since I dont usually follow non bl romances, but this one feels refreshing. Ive not even seen the protective brother with the girl who wants to date his best friend, but it seemed really fun and intriguing. Keiichi and Noizumi are as good as Tsuyuponnu and Yukiko.

Really great trip this was.

SalvaPot

Once the over hype dies a bit its going to be judged in its own merits, the series is just enjoyable.

By the time My Hero Academia second season is around, its going to already be the next big thing. Nothing can stop this train.

I think the point here is My Hero Academia isn't happening in a vacuum and there is a staggering amount of shonen to choose from and MHA just hasn't risen to that next level yet. This is actually fairly common in shonen but MHA has to be weighted against great expectations.

What are these new shounen shows you are referring to? Still, its getting a fair amount of exposure compared to its competition right?

HeroAca's writing is significantly stronger than the writing offered by the staff behind JJBA. HeroAca is consistent and while predictable one knows what they will get. JJBA meanwhile is very inconsistent with lazy writing choices at key moments.

The thing about being predictable is that you become boring to follow.

Aki-at

There are a lot of Shonen adaptations running this season and I'm finding myself thinking MHA is at the bottom of them all, which I didn't really expect. I'm liking JoJo, Ushio and Tora and Dragon Ball Super more and AssClass also seems to be better. Throw in Kabaneri and its kind of a slaughter. MHA is fine but it is lagging against the competition (so kind of like the manga)

This for me has been the crux of the issue, there are just better shows out there for me to spend more of my time on. There was one poster a week or so back said that the main enjoyment will come wither you can connect or enjoy Dekus plight and unfortunately for me that hasn't been the case so all the emotional scenes just fall flat.

Looking at Kenjis impressions it's probably a good reason I did drop it too since I'm more bored with the usual routine of self doubt Deku goes through a episode. Just not my thing.

pbayne

Rainbow Days Episode 15

Everyone is finally paired up and its kind of refreshing. Though maybe its refreshing since I dont usually follow non bl romances, but this one feels refreshing. Ive not even seen the protective brother with the girl who wants to date his best friend, but it seemed really fun and intriguing. Keiichi and Noizumi are as good as Tsuyuponnu and Yukiko.

Really great trip this was.

Yeah its nice that all 4 couples are finally established. Its odd that it feels like Keichi and Noizumi's relationship moved further in one episode than Anna and Natsuki's has in 15 episodes.

And i now they probably won't do it as much now, but id like more scenes of the guys just hanging out by themselves. Those scenes were genuinely some of the highlights earlier in the show.

Grexeno

MHA is getting thrown under the bus by the 1-cour thing. The ending of this episode should have been the ending of episode 2. It's stretching out the early stuff, and it won't even get to the arc where most people get on the train for real.

MHA is getting thrown under the bus by the 1-cour thing. The ending of this episode should have been the ending of episode 2. It's stretching out the early stuff, and it won't even get to the arc where most people get on the train for real.

This actually what im worried about. I cant think of how they'll end it nicely with episode count weve got.
No Sports festival or Stain
All that would be left to do would be
468.jpg

Russ T

Banned
I think the point here is My Hero Academia isn't happening in a vacuum and there is a staggering amount of shonen to choose from and MHA just hasn't risen to that next level yet. This is actually fairly common in shonen but MHA has to be weighted against great expectations.

I dunno, barring One Piece and JoJo, it's better than every other typical action shonen currently running. Not that I'd call JoJo typical. Also I guess it's seinen, now, right? Not that there's much difference between the two sometimes...

As far as I can tell, the things it does differently are the reasons people either love or hate it. "It's not like everything else so it's terrible!" vs "it's not like everything else so it's great!" Not everyone's reactions can be boiled down so simply, but it sure does seem like the common thing.

Also yeah being only one cour is going to murder the ending. But hey the manga's great regardless. It's just cool to see it animted.

Grexeno

This actually what im worried about. I cant think of how they'll end it nicely with episode count weve got.
468.jpg
They just have to end it after
USJ.
There's nothing else they can do. Unless they're doing split-cour and moving to a different timeslot, they just have to say "see you soon" and hopefully come back with a 2-cour second season.

I disagree! I do believe they can have a nice ending spot and tease the next arc well. It will end the first 13 episode with a boum.

Also I hate having manga stuff in spoilers on the anime side so I won't put any.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I dunno, barring One Piece and JoJo, it's better than every other typical action shonen currently running. Not that I'd call JoJo typical. Also I guess it's seinen, now, right? Not that there's much difference between the two sometimes...

As far as I can tell, the things it does differently are the reasons people either love or hate it. "It's not like everything else so it's terrible!" vs "it's not like everything else so it's great!" Not everyone's reactions can be boiled down so simply, but it sure does seem like the common thing.

Also yeah being only one cour is going to murder the ending. But hey the manga's great regardless. It's just cool to see it animted.

Eh I personally enjoyed Assassination Classroom more refreshing in plot and structure in general just plain more interesting. Granted I dropped it after the villains arc because I found the anatonists not remotely compelling and the progression poor. That and the unimagitive heroes power, I figured it wasn't for me.

I wouldn't call it bad I'd actually say it was fairly competant just lacking in compelling villains and I could be bothered slogging through the entire thing to wait for one to show up.

Russ T

Banned
Eh I personally enjoyed Assassination Classroom more refreshing in plot and structure in general just plain more interesting. Granted I dropped it after the villains arc because I found the anatonists not remotely compelling and the progression poor. That and the unimagitive heroes power, I figured it wasn't for me.

I wouldn't call it bad I'd actually say it was fairly competant just lacking in compelling villains and I could be bothered slogging through the entire thing to wait for one to show up.

Mm maybe. I dunno if I'd say Assassination Classroom is an action shonen, though, despite having a few action scenes. Maybe I'm in the minority here, though. EDIT: Also AC got way way way less good once it started diving into Koro-sensei's background bullshit.

If you compare MHA to manga then it's in an even worse position cuz HxH is back and ain't no one beating that

I'll allow the HxH comparison once it persists for more than half a year. Until then it doesn't count!

I disagree! I do believe they can have a nice ending spot and tease the next arc well. It will end the first 13 episode with a boum.

Also I hate having manga stuff in spoilers on the anime side so I won't put any.

Ahh but it would have been perfect if it ended at the Arc after the one we're actually getting in the anime :/ im just sad we wont be seeing a certain specific character

Russ T

Banned
If we only discount the great stuff, it looks pretty good compared to everything else.

Well, technically that is the point I was making against Shard's "there's a million shonen everywhere" argument!

So, yeah, you got it in one. Grats!

Narag

Well, technically that is the point I was making against Shard's "there's a million shonen everywhere" argument!

So, yeah, you got it in one. Grats!

If we discount this one I got in, I didn't get any in. You've got the better of me this time.

Eumi

Blasted through this today and I think it might be my favourite of the season. The genre of 'maybe-horror' is possibly my favourite and this show absolutely nails it. Every supernatural thing that has happened so far has a completely logical and more likely mundane explanation, but it's completely understandable that everyone is as freaked out as they are.

Are there any other mystery anime like this? I'd really appreciate something of this style that I won't have to wait week by week for.

Qurupeke

Blasted through this today and I think it might be my favourite of the season. The genre of 'maybe-horror' is possibly my favourite and this show absolutely nails it. Every supernatural thing that has happened so far has a completely logical and more likely mundane explanation, but it's completely understandable that everyone is as freaked out as they are.

Are there any other mystery anime like this? I'd really appreciate something of this style that I won't have to wait week by week for.

Apparently Another and Blood-C are similar.

Eumi

Apparently Another and Blood-C are similar.

Oh god the girl in Another has that bandage eyepatch thing going on. Is that supposed to be cute cause I've seen a bunch of anime girls sporting it and it always just made me feel squeamish. Like, what's under there and how icky is it?

Russ T

Banned
It has been a weird fetish ever since that shitty anime called Evangelion was pulled up from the depths of hell.

There's a reason for it in Another. I... I think? I'm pretty sure there is.

Ascheroth

It has been a weird fetish ever since that shitty anime called Evangelion was pulled up from the depths of hell.

There's a reason for it in Another. I... I think? I'm pretty sure there is.

Yep, there is a reason.
But Another is definitely not 'maybe-horror where things can be explained by mundane things', if that's important for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom