• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulianImp

Maybe it was the UI that also made it look antiquated as dirt.

Well, it isn't like clamshell phones come with a hi-spec processor capable of handling a robust and modern OS/GUI. I remember the one I was lent while in Japan two years ago looked exactly like my old Nokia phone.

jgminto

Have you checked out O'Malley's other stuff? Scott Pilgrim and Lost at Sea are both really great.
I read the first volume of Scott Pilgrim but I didn't think it stacked up against the movie. Edgar Wright added so much with his direction.

Guess Who

Banned
I read the first volume of Scott Pilgrim but I didn't think it stacked up against the movie. Edgar Wright added so much with his direction.

The first book is the weakest, and the most directly adapted into the movie - the further you go in Scott Pilgrim the more it diverges. The art improves quite a bit, too. In particular, there's some really nice character developmenty, humanizing stuff in the later volumes that didn't really make it into the movie (a loooot of stuff, especially in the last few volumes got cut, rushed for time, or just done differently because the last volume wasn't done when the movie was written).

pbayne

The first book is the weakest, and the most directly adapted into the movie - the further you go in Scott Pilgrim the more it diverges. The art improves quite a bit, too. In particular, there's some really nice character developmenty, humanizing stuff in the later volumes that didn't really make it into the movie (a loooot of stuff, especially in the last few volumes got cut, rushed for time, or just done differently because the last volume wasn't done when the movie was written).

Yep this. Id kill for Scott's wilderness retreat, his tragic birthday party, making out with Kim, getting a job at the restaurant, everything with Envy etc to make it into the movie. But then the movie would be 4 hours long lol.

Id agree that Wright did a great job with it though, even if i hate Cera as Scott.

Taruranto

Ushio and Tora R2
tH0l1AV.jpg

rQyPsKV.jpg

Great, maybe Ushio can ditch whatsherface and hook up with Best Girl Saya!

Boku no Hero Academia - 01

I like the soundtrack a lot. The art is nice, there were some pretty great faces on Midoriya. I especially like the extreme shading on Beef McHuge a long with his grin and way of naming his attacks, Texas Smash!
Like what I've seen so far, so I'll stick around. ED was a disappointment though.

Scott Pilgrim is dope

The comics destroy the movie

I find it hard to believe that either one destroys the other. The movie was one of the best films of the last decade and the comic was fairly good as well. I don't think either were financial successes, sadly.

I find it hard to believe that either one destroys the other. The movie was one of the best films of the last decade and the comic was fairly good as well. I don't think either were financial successes, sadly.

Movie is great but the comic is better solely because well.. Michael Cera was fun but he wasn't the perfect Scott Pilgrim for me.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Batman v Superman
So, i watched this with low expectation based on review by critics. Well, they were right.
Movie has issues with pacing, especially whenever justice league stuff got brought up. For 2,5 hours movie, you think they at least make it entertaining and not a slog to go through. Then there's this thing with Batman nightmare that doesn't really make sense. Action choreography for superman was not creative enough. Either he ram someone superfast he broke some wall, heat vision, or throwing around. For others, it was fine i guess, but then there's tendency to do some cut or strange angle when action scene was going on, so it didn't make that much impact.

There's some great idea behind the whole movie, but the execution was really rough. The movie want to make it like there's a consequences with superman existing and causing a massive destruction whenever he faces something not human, but it didn't pull through. Batman being jaded was interesting plot point that could be explored further, Lex Luthor... well, i kinda like the idea of hipster bringing down superman, so that's okay i guess.

Not enough scene of Laurence Fishburne yelling. Wouldn't mind a crossover movie featuring him and JK Simmons. Do it Marvel and DC.

Tl;dr, average movie due to its ups and downs. Ben Affleck as Batman is fantastic. Interesting ideas, but the execution was rough.

brawly

One Piece 733

God damn. Luffy just
split an island in half
. Still a great binge, tho' Oda's portrayment of women is even getting on my nerve now.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Scott Pilgrim is nowhere near the best comic of the last decade. Not even taking into account that it was just OK you're talking about a decade that has masterpieces like K-On. It doesn't stand a chance.

Scott Pilgrim is nowhere near the best comic of the last decade. Not even taking into account that it was just OK you're talking about a decade that has masterpieces like K-On. It doesn't stand a chance.

OBJECTION! I said the movie was one of the best of the last decade, not the comic! Prepare to be sued for libel.

Batman v Superman
So, i watched this with low expectation based on review by critics. Well, they were right.
Movie has issues with pacing, especially whenever justice league stuff got brought up. For 2,5 hours movie, you think they at least make it entertaining and not a slog to go through. Then there's this thing with Batman nightmare that doesn't really make sense. Action choreography for superman was not creative enough. Either he ram someone superfast he broke some wall, heat vision, or throwing around. For others, it was fine i guess, but then there's tendency to do some cut or strange angle when action scene was going on, so it didn't make that much impact.

There's some great idea behind the whole movie, but the execution was really rough. The movie want to make it like there's a consequences with superman existing and causing a massive destruction whenever he faces something not human, but it didn't pull through. Batman being jaded was interesting plot point that could be explored further, Lex Luthor... well, i kinda like the idea of hipster bringing down superman, so that's okay i guess.

Not enough scene of Laurence Fishburne yelling. Wouldn't mind a crossover movie featuring him and JK Simmons. Do it Marvel and DC.

Tl;dr, average movie due to its ups and downs. Ben Affleck as Batman is fantastic. Interesting ideas, but the execution was rough.

I thought it was best superhero movie since Amazing Spiderman franchise and the newer xmens. It was like the fanfic I always wanted and they even had a friendship moment. and no dumb jokes every 2 minutes like in deadpool or dumb guardians of the galaxy. And lex is amazing, his actor is so good in everything.

Narag

How was the special episode of Concrete Revolutio?

It's like ten minutes of going through the timeline in order then some girls that I assume are VAs or something show off some character designs with a particular omission that they take note off. There's some talk from Aikawa and Mizushima and it closes with bit of new footage we haven't seen.

Mailbox

My Hero Academia episode 1

Yeah, about as good as I expected. Some scenes felt like they had more weight in the manga, but nothing really came out bad i'd say.

Like the art and the animation is fairly good. I'm fine with Deku's voice, but I understand why some people might think it doesn't completely fit.

I also understand why some people might be getting Naruto vibes or constantly saying its generic or too much like other series (Jesus, that MAL topic on this episode is fucking horrid), but I should probably point out, despite this being episode 1, this doesn't even finish the first chapter in the manga. I think the people pulling the generic card should people wait a few more episodes.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I thought it was best superhero movie since Amazing Spiderman franchise and the newer xmens. It was like the fanfic I always wanted and they even had a friendship moment. and no dumb jokes every 2 minutes like in deadpool or dumb guardians of the galaxy. And lex is amazing, his actor is so good in everything.

More friendship moment between Batman and Superman will probably make this a better movie. All i get from the movie is Batman being jealous of Superman instead of being afraid of him.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Marmaduke was still in circulation within the last decade.

Sölf

Shin Sekai Yori 19
Shit just got realer. This episode felt like it came straight out of a horror anime. Pretty different to anything that was so far in the show, but also really good.

JulianImp

Rakugo #12-13
This was just too good, and I'm definitely looking forward to the next neason. It's one of those rare shows that doesn't focus on whatever's hot right now, had an interesting cast, appealing good visuals and told (part of) an interesting story.

Wait, no one licensed Big Order right?
http://anilist.co/img/dir/anime/reg/21445-oMeEcIo2OqpT.jpg[/IG]

How could anyone pass up a chance at Future Diary, but worse?[/QUOTE]

We're still 11 days from its airing, plenty of time.

Though surprised funi passed over it since they have Future Diary. Then again, they sometimes do add stuff even after announcing their full slate.

Cornbread78

Kuma Miku ep.1
WTF was up with that story about the maiden? Bear tongue, wtf... Pretty blah opening episode, bit I'll give it two more. I'll probably end up dropping it like I should have Dagashi.

Sölf

Kuma Miku ep.1
WTF was up with that story about the maiden? Bear tongue, wtf... Pretty blah opening episode, bit I'll give it two more. I'll probably end up dropping it like I should have Dagashi.

How would anyone in their right mind want to drop Dagashi Kashi? That show had Saya, which was reason enough to watch it.

Shin Sekai Yori 20
Guerilla warfare, eh? Their tactic was pretty cool and if that really was Yakomaru's doing then I have mad respect for his tactical genius.

TheFlow

Banned
Lex was literally the worst thing about the movie

Edit: I rarely use the word "literally" but yea

Jintor

OBJECTION! I said the movie was one of the best of the last decade, not the comic! Prepare to be sued for libel.

movie wears thin after about three viewings imho. on the other hand, i went to the theatre twice and still bought the blu-ray, so it wasn't that bad

Mailbox

Aoharu x Machinegun 1-12[END]

meh.

I mean, its better than upotte, I'll give it that much.
Unfortunately, this show wants to take itself more seriously while still being dumb at the same time, and well... we know how that tends to turn out. Its mostly Yaoi bait centered around melodrama. Honestly, if this show decided to follow the sports anime template and actually chose to use survival gaming in a way that wasn't unrealistic, then I think this could have come out fine.

The whole thing about Tachibana being a girl who is mistaken for a guy started out interesting enough but ended up being really really pointless by the end.
It ends on what is basically a cliffhanger too.

I don't recommend this one, but you can do worse than to watch this

Arabesque

Apologies

27IPFkD.png

I seen Swery and the rest of my timeline tweeting this and got very confused about what was happening

I hope Funimation didn't pay for them to do this. God knows they need the money after how much they spent on My Hero Acadmia.

JulianImp

Mayoiga #1
Oh look, another Another! It already looks like it's going to be campy as hell, but I guess something like this is okay every once in a while.

Re: Zero #1A (just starting)
Looks like isekai JRPG shows have left all formalities behind and now go straight to sucking people into new worlds. It's particularily funny how several stories decide to take hikkikomori NEETs and turning them into legendary heroes, as if that was the only kind of character that could work in such a setting.

Judging from the show's poster, I guess Mr. Gamer NEET will be introduced to the first few members of his harem within the next two minutes or so.

Edit: Haha, "I can't read" is immediately followed by the shopkeeper speaking fluent Japanese. It would've been fun if it at least took him an episode or two (or the show's choice between a n interpreter or some magical translating artifact) before he could actually interact with people in this new world.

pbayne

I seen Swery and the rest of my timeline tweeting this and got very confused about what was happening

I hope Funimation didn't pay for them to do this. God knows they need the money after how much they spent on My Hero Acadmia.

Xavier Woods is a big nerd, no doubt he pushed for this himself. They name dropped Vegeta and DBZ on commentary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom