• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Endride ep.1
Yup, I know why DTL will be watching this one; it's definitely the bromance of the season, lol. Pretty good intro to the show as they jump right into it with a short background check. This one could be pretty good, but we'll see where the story goes.

kewlmyc

Apologies

27IPFkD.png

THE NEW DAY saving anime.

Arabesque

Xavier Woods is a big nerd, no doubt he pushed for this himself. They name dropped Vegeta and DBZ on commentary.

That pretty cool if he's really into the show then. And I guess Wrestling was always just live action long running anime. With all the good and the bad,

It's Funi's finances that worry me at this point lol

RE: Zero Kara Hajimaru 1

Having read the manga prior, I was highly anticipating this show, and I loved the first ep. It starts off fairly slow but it also got a 1 hour premier. Can't wait to see how they adapt the rest but I think it's great and I like all the voices.

Dennis

Banned
My Hero Academy Episode 1

Well, that was OK. I will watch the next episode I am sure.

Art was OK. Couldn't help but think the story resembles One Punch Man a bit.

Dennis

Banned
May hold off on Mayoiga for a bit since the reception seems mixed.

Still going to check out Attack on Train. Tomorrow, right?

May hold off on Mayoiga for a bit since the reception seems mixed.

Still going to check out Attack on Train. Tomorrow, right?

Nope. Attack on Train doesn't air till the 8th.

Also, Amazon getting into the anime game isn't good news for Funimation, Viz, and Sentai.

Amazon can probably throw its weight around pretty easy in the anime market.

Also, Amazon getting into the anime game isn't good news for Funimation, Viz, and Sentai.

I think Amazon air episode 1 of Attack on Train one day earlier than Japan(and back to normal after that).

The Lost Village 1

Well, that was a really intriguing first episode. Has that Battle Royale vibe to it. And it's not based on a manga or a light novel either so can't read ahead.

Re:Zero 01

Damn that was epic. First half was your average "shut-in that gets somehow teleported to a parallel world", but everything after the second half? Goddamn was it good. Not gonna say much because it would really spoil the whole episode, but I'd definitely say: watch the whole thing. Pretty damn cool concept that they got here. I'm definitely in for this one.

Wanderer5

Going to be interesting to see how this goes with Amazon. Likely going to suck for quite a few people in regards to needing to get Prime through, and not to mention that this could lead to more spliting.

Grexeno

Too early to tell. Still, it's crazy that they're essentially going ALL IN on this. I mean, for crying out loud they had a 4+ hour stream late last night dedicating to the premiere.
And it's only a 13 episode show with the possibility that that's IT for a whole year.

In case no one has noticed, I really am finding it bizarre that MHA is only 1 cour.

Cornbread78

It looks like it could go tons of great places thanks in no small part to the MCs psyche, although for some reason watching that episode just gave me this nagging feeling that it's going to end on an unsatisfying note

Lol, that why I did an OT for it because the convo could be real fun as tuff goes down, lol. It's also original material, so it should have an ending and not one of those "go read the manga/ln" to get the true conclusion.

Quasar

Damn that was epic. First half was your average "shut-in that gets somehow teleported to a parallel world", but everything after the second half? Goddamn was it good. Not gonna say much because it would really spoil the whole episode, but I'd definitely say: watch the whole thing. Pretty damn cool concept that they got here. I'm definitely in for this one.

I did enjoy myself with the first part. I was warned elsewhere though it features akame ga kill level tonal whiplash though. So part two will be interesting. Interesting to see another show with a double length starter.

Puruzi

Banned
I find it hard to believe that either one destroys the other. The movie was one of the best films of the last decade and the comic was fairly good as well. I don't think either were financial successes, sadly.

Comic's much better. Characters are way more fleshed out and there's more content.

I really liked the movie but it's just not close imo

Clov

That's the rumor - that Amazon wanted it, but Funimation outbid them.

They outbid Amazon for it? They must have paid an absurd amount!

Going to be interesting to see how this goes with Amazon. Likely going to suck for quite a few people in regards to needing to get Prime through, and not to mention that this could lead to more spliting.

It's really going to depend on how good Amazon's streaming is, and other factors like how it renders subtitles, how good the subtitles are, etc. Just because a company is big, doesn't mean that it knows how to handle an anime release; look at Warner's DVD release of Jojo's, for example.

It's really going to depend on how good Amazon's streaming is, and other factors like how it renders subtitles, how good the subtitles are, etc. Just because a company is big, doesn't mean that it knows how to handle an anime release; look at Warner's DVD release of Jojo's, for example.

Have you never watched any video on amazon before? Its not like they are new to streaming video or having subbed content.

No, in fact I have never watched any video on Amazon before. Good to know though!

Yeah, Amazon is a major player in streaming content these days along with Hulu and Netflix. They've been funding their own shows as well, not as much as Netflix but probably more than Hulu.

javac

Fantastic write-up!

You know, Hayao Miyazaki's directional career will at least continue for a bit more, just not in the same way of those ol' big productions, and even then Mr. Suzuki and Mr. Takahata don't fully believed his words either (as the same thing happened before):

http://www.japanpolicyforum.jp/archives/culture/pt20140411181625.html
Thanks, I appreciate the link! I remember reading a while back that after The Wind Rises concluded that Miyazaki would continue to work on smaller projects such as a manga and the myriad of Ghibli museum short films and such but I do love the quotes from Suzuki and Takahata. Miyazaki does come across as a workaholic, a person who just can't put the pencil and paper away and I can imagine that his mind is always racing and brimming with new ideas so it must be hard! In that sense it's sad that we'll never see a big production from him again, but at the same time I'm glad that I got to watch the films that he did mange to make in his half-century spanning career.

Thanks again for the link, super fascinating, having all three of them talking candidly about the things that they've worked on is eyeopening, they have a respect for each other that is palpable. Skimming through the parts about The Wind Rises in particular, I'm sort of relieved that the things that I wrote in my review match up with Miyazaki's own sentiments!

Line_HTX

And it's only a 13 episode show with the possibility that that's IT for a whole year.

In case no one has noticed, I really am finding it bizarre that MHA is only 1 cour.

Food Wars took a long while to announce a 2nd season, so I don't see any reason why BONES would not announce a 2nd season of MHA. I don't see what the big deal is considering this is arguably the biggest thing in Japan right now. I think it would be more than harmful if they stopped and just be the usual just look good to try and sell the manga kind of adaptation.

Clov

Yeah, Amazon is a major player in streaming content these days along with Hulu and Netflix. They've been funding their own shows as well, not as much as Netflix but probably more than Hulu.

Netflix I'm familiar with, but I've never used Hulu before. They don't seem to like Canadians from what I've heard, so I doubt that will be changing any time soon. To be honest, I haven't heard much about Amazon's streaming services at all.

Quasar

Certainly if they sit on this worldwide exclusive Noitamina deal I'm going to be forced to renew just for that. And if it does well I wonder if that will encourage someone else to pay a shit-ton for another single source output deal. Not that there is really a lot of studios with the rep, popularity and output consistency (in terms of a show every season). Kyoani might be one. Of course is it worth it to a studio in the longer term to do something like that?

Hakaba Kitaro 11 END

Really great show. Takes the eccentric direction philosophy of Mononoke and applies it to more conventional horror stories taken from Shigeru Mizuki's landmark 1960 manga. The art is fantastic throughout and there's a lot of neat techniques that keep things consistently interesting. Even the couple more normal episodes are solid storytelling. Highly recommended to anyone who likes quirky horror or just well made animation.

Gvitor

Resident Evil Zero

Damn, that surprised me. By episode 1A I was liking it, but expecting your typical fantasy anime - which, in all fairness, it might still be - but episode 1B was something else. My only gripe is that for such a self-aware MC, him not realizing
time travel shenanigans
twice pushed it a little too far. But it gave us a bunch of nice scenes that wouldn't happen otherwise, so I dunno... Hopefully it keeps being entertaining.

Yeah, pretty much this. I even put about 4h between episodes because while still decent, the first didn't leave me all that impressed. I didn't want episode 2 to end.

Food Wars took a long while to announce a 2nd season, so I don't see any reason why BONES would not announce a 2nd season of MHA. I don't see what the big deal is considering this is arguably the biggest thing in Japan right now. I think it would be more than harmful if they stopped and just be the usual just look good to try and sell the manga kind of adaptation.

HeroAca isnt that big. (not even in the top 25 best selling manga).

Comic's much better. Characters are way more fleshed out and there's more content.

I really liked the movie but it's just not close imo

I mean, yeah, as far as telling the story of Scott Pilgrim, the comic is always going to be better. It doesn't have to squeeze content into a 2 hour block, can flesh out the characters more, and is completely original with no source material constraints.

But Edgar Wright adds his own signature visual and tonal wit into the situation and it really makes something fantastic. The pop culture references are tastefully added in; which is something films have been failing to do well since forever. Among comic-book movies, it stands by itself and even in Wright's films it is - as far as I can recall - the only straight adaptation he has ever done. In my eyes, the film is the greatest Scott Pilgrim film I could ever expect barring a multi-part series.

I just realized we are way off topic.

Since I had the flu the past week, I spent my sick time catching up and rewatching favorites.

Persona 3: Movie 3
The first movie was a fluke I think. Atleast movie 3 was better than 2, they fixed all the pacing issues. Asshole MC is annoying, glad hes gone. Aigis is still number one. When does the 4th movie get BD release? :<

Lucky Star
Seriously such a fun anime. I miss it, and rewatch when I'm down in the dumps. I wish we could get more seasons. Also why does Funimation not offer it anymore? Did they lose the rights? I had to dig out my old BDs.

About to binge: Erased, and Phantom World.

Clov

Lucky Star
Seriously such a fun anime. I miss it, and rewatch when I'm down in the dumps. I wish we could get more seasons. Also why does Funimation not offer it anymore? Did they lose the rights? I had to dig out my old BDs.

Well, it shouldn't have been on Funimation's site before; it was a Bandai license. Funimation acquired the rights to it recently (a year ago or so?) but they haven't released it yet. I'm excited for their BD release of the show; even though it's an upscale, it's not a bad upscale by any means! Not to mention it will give me an excuse to rewatch it. I have so many pleasant memories of it!

Thoraxes

Well, it shouldn't have been on Funimation's site before; it was a Bandai license. Funimation acquired the rights to it recently (a year ago or so?) but they haven't released it yet. I'm excited for their BD release of the show; even though it's an upscale, it's not a bad upscale by any means! Not to mention it will give me an excuse to rewatch it. I have so many pleasant memories of it!

Wait who's releasing Lucky Star BDs?

One of my issues with the P3 movies is that in the first 1-2 films they seemed to have been going for a romantic route, but then dropped it all together lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom