• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since there's isn't a smidgen of clever in Toradora and I was even actively looking for subtle foreshadowing and so whenever she was on screen, I can safely say my opinion on her within those 12 wouldn't change a bit.

Nothing wrong with that. Not every show was for everyone, and I think the better shows - a category I'd put Toradora in, personally - actually tend to be more divisive barring the bandwagon effect.

Curious, have you seen Nagi no Asukara?

Kuma Miko - 01

I didn't expect this to delve into such a salacious subject! Anyway, I found the episode to be relaxing with a couple of funny moments, which is pretty much what I expected it to be. The language the little girl used so randomly got me.
Minor complaint I have is the transition to the story tale I think could've been better if it went to it with the trees morphing, instead of going from the trees to the buildings into black and then into morphing.

U5yuOGz.jpg

I like the background work for the rural nature setting. The interior I think isn't that exciting to look at, but the varied change of abstract patterns helps! I also liked how some of it interacted with the cast, mainly in this case the letters falling on Machi.
The paper mario-esque ED art surprised me! I want a flying bear carpet. Looking forward to see more!

Kuma Miko 1

Jesus fuck this show got dirty lol. I'll keep watching for now because the scene of the kids listening to the story made up for the quiz section.

"The Women's Association told me to scare their kids more" lol

And as others said the ED is fantastic. Not crazy about the OP though.

Nothing wrong with that. Not every show was for everyone, and I think the better shows - a category I'd put Toradora in, personally - actually tend to be more divisive barring the bandwagon effect.

Curious, have you seen Nagi no Asukara?

Yes.

Unfortunately Okada's character writing and inability to come up with a good overall plot were hampering it big times. However, one of the few shows where visuals and audio were able to make it a somewhat enjoyable experience nontheless. It even presented a couple interesting ideas but either failed to execute on them or just scratched the surface.

Girl meets Bear 01

I wasn't prepared for the places this went.

Kuma Miko 1
Well that was raunchier than I was expecting. It paid off well with that joke near the end. Great ED too.

Kuma Miko 1
Jesus fuck this show got dirty lol.

Kuma miko 01

lol I wasnt expecting the episode to go that way. Laughed a lot.

8sAHZfY.gif

That's unfortunate...no, wait. Actually I need something raunchy now that Galko-chan is over!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Pan de Peace! Episode 1:

Egg sandwiches with strawberry jam sounds like food borne of nightmares.

JCG

Diamond is Unbreakable 1

As expected of David Production, they know exactly how to present the material in a stylistically interesting way even without a ton of animation resources.

The new Jojo protagonist seems somewhat less appealing at a glance, but I am certainly willing to see what they do with him in the long run.

My Hero Academia 1

This was fun enough and pretty to look at. Sometimes it's okay to just rely on typical superhero genre conventions and execute them well without aiming for something higher.

I am quite tempted to stick around, despite not knowing anything about the manga, although in practice I'll probably end up waiting to marathon the whole thing.

I think the problem might be, it's just not dumb enough and takes itself way too seriously.

In my view, there's a difference between portraying over-the-top theatrics, including exaggerated scenes of drama or comedy plus various in-jokes, and having any underlying pretense of seriousness. The protagonist had ambitious goals, sure, but the direction and general audio/visual framing of the show never gave me the impression you're getting. Quite the contrary. I did find various aspects to be pretty interesting in other ways, beyond any silly writing involved, but if you can't get even a basic level of enjoyment then I'd suggest just moving on to something more in line with your personal tastes.

My Hero Academia 01

Good. Looking forward to seeing the rest of this as it improves. Bones doing good work on the production side.

I Danganronpa anime was never going to work. Unless you think watching a dude trying to figure what NOEL meant is fun.

Really, some works are just meant to be played and not watched. That's why I don't get people who wanted an AA anime.

I mean it could work. It's not like it has any branching paths like a VN and those get bad adaptations too. Its just that making it a literal Let's Play is not the way to go about it.

You know you fucked up when not even Sawashiro can save your show, and her role in this is one of my favorites for her because its such an un-Sawashiro character.

As someone who isn't particularly a fan of superhero comics or battle shounen manga, One Punch Man and My Hero Academia don't have a whole lot of intrinsic appeal for me. Concrete Revolutio, on the other hand, does a bunch of interesting things in its visual style, its direction, its characters, its themes, its engagement with history, etc. that make it very interesting to watch.

I feel pretty much the opposite as a fan of superhero comics and shonen manga. Nothing about how ConRevo was constructed felt interesting or original to me. I'm sure its fun if you want to piece together this weirdly out of order story but I was not even close to interested enough to bother with that. But I'm not as high as others are on BokuHero. It's a solid shonen series, not the second coming. I think for people who aren't or were never into comics theres a bunch of cool shit out there but I used to be really, really into comics and fell out hard so its difficult for me to get enthusiasm for the style anymore. I'm mostly talking about capeshit, though.

BluWacky

So I just noticed nobody got the new Magi season about Sinbad? I was sure Crunchyroll would have picked it up.

It doesn't premiere for another couple of weeks; there's plenty of time for them to announce it still.

(I didn't realise it was airing in a late night slot, though; the original was Sundays at 5, the prized Nichigo timeslot.)

JCG

Ace Attorney 1

Well...I guess this was kind of average, or simply mediocre. There wasn't anything inherently terrible, outside of the uninspired art and the animation being comparatively lacking, but there also wasn't anything particularly good either. As others have already mentioned, I think I'd be better off going just back to finish the games one of these days. Even the wacky facial expressions were better presented there, as far as I can recall, and the addition of voice acting might not be enough to overcome the blandness of this adaptation.

Defuser

Kuma Miko ep 1
Poor girl. Being creepily juxtapose in the thoughts of a perverted bear and the nine year olds. Man, this kind of slow pace comedy isn't my kind of style.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Kuma Miko Episode 1:

Well then, wanton depravity aside, seriously what the fuck there, this was surprisingly normal given the wacky premise. Also, yea, I think this would have worked better as a short since not even a talking bear can make countrified slice of life antics remotely interesting.

Because netflix might have it exclusively (I dont think they would truly only get it for one region).

It doesn't premiere for another couple of weeks; there's plenty of time for them to announce it still.

(I didn't realise it was airing in a late night slot, though; the original was Sundays at 5, the prized Nichigo timeslot.)

ahhhhh It make sense! It's just like with Ajin and how we knew much later that netflix got the license.

Thank you for the info!

I feel pretty much the opposite as a fan of superhero comics and shonen manga. Nothing about how ConRevo was constructed felt interesting or original to me.

If you know of something else like Concrete Revolutio, please let me know because I'd like to see it!

I don't even find Concrete a challenge to figure out, so I'm not sure where are the complaints about it being convoluted are coming from. Sure, it's not told in a chronological ordering, and I can see how that would be disconcerting, but the storytelling has a thematic logic to its flow that makes it easy enough to see where it's going. Baccano is more convoluted.

This Sinbad show is an adaptation of a spinoff manga, not the main manga that received two seasons on Nichigo. So it's not equivalent to, say, Haikyuu S2 moving to late-night.

Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 01

Well 1 hour for first episode is right choice, because if it's regular half hour i have feeling some people would bored to hell.
Overall pretty nice adaption, let's see can White Fox hold it.

ibyea

Banned
If you know of something else like Concrete Revolutio, please let me know because I'd like to see it!

I don't even find Concrete a challenge to figure out, so I'm not sure where are the complaints about it being convoluted are coming from. Sure, it's not told in a chronological ordering, and I can see how that would be disconcerting, but the storytelling has a thematic logic to its flow that makes it easy enough to see where it's going. Baccano is more convoluted.

Yeah and most of the time the events are in order anyways.

I like the trend of 1 hour first episodes. For some series it would even make more sense doing 6 episodes x double-episodes than the standard anime format of 20min episodes.

Theonik

I liked the vignette nature of Miss Hokusai. It reminded me of my second-favorite Takahata film, My Neighbors the Yamadas, as well as Noriko Takao's Saint Young Men film. I don't think all films need to have a traditional dramatic structure imposed upon them. O-Ei and the characters surrounding her are given space to breathe and the Edo environment is thoughtfully portrayed. The story of her blind sister was pretty effective, and I don't know how you can say it doesn't go anywhere considering
her death

Perhaps this sort of thing isn't appealing to the typical moviegoer (certainly Yamadas was not appealing to the average Japanese moviegoer), but I am grateful to directors who aren't afraid to do something outside the norm like this.
Right I quite enjoyed it, and the vignettes are quite good. Though I'm embarrassed to have the Yamadas as my only Takahata film that I have yet to see. (I briefly perused parts of it but I couldn't call it watching it tbh)

Now, I think he has a point that the film felt a bit inconsistent in tone and it had a very weak sense of direction as a result, that might discourage some people, but the film as a whole was still enjoyable.

Only Sanae and Breadmilf stand out for me, lol.

maxresdefault.jpg

img_2346.png
Wrong bread.
TkrST.gif

Jarmel

Banned
Kuma Miko-1

Found it okay. Not a huge fan of slow comedies like this but it was fine. Really like the ED a lot.

Parts of this are totally going to rub people the wrong way.

I'm finally home. My roommate was watching KumaMiko, so ended up watching that. Seems like a sweet comedy and talking bears can hardly be a bad thing. It'd be unbearable.

That said, whether I stick with it or not depends on whether Flying Witches somehow disappoints me.

Yes.

Unfortunately Okada's character writing and inability to come up with a good overall plot were hampering it big times. However, one of the few shows where visuals and audio were able to make it a somewhat enjoyable experience nontheless. It even presented a couple interesting ideas but either failed to execute on them or just scratched the surface.

I thought that would be your opinion on it. It hits a lot of the same beats as Toradora, although without the full-hearted acceptance of the RomCom genre that makes Toradora so charming to me.

Kuma Miko - 01

Well, that one part surely went far.

Anyways, it's certainly no Galko-chan and the bear itself isn't funny in any way. I'll watch one more episode but I'll likely drop it.

John Blade

Just binge watching Great Teacher Onizuka right now and man...so great and fun. Just 4 episodes to go and man the summer break arch is great. Man...going to miss this show once I finish it and move on to other show in my backlogged.

Qurupeke

Kuma Miko 1

Dirty implications aside, it wasn't bad. So far it's a pretty funny and cute show, I hope it won't get boring fast. I guess I can check out a few more episodes.

Pan De Peace 1

Eeeeeh, not for me.

I still remember how big the show became in the IRC channel.

All the photoshops and how much funnier the show was if you replaced the word bread with dick.

Just T

Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans: 1-2

So finally started this and I like it so far. Haven't watched an actual Gundam show since G Gundam came on Toonami.

Ascheroth

Re:Zero - 01

Interesting. I thought they'd use the double length episode to get the first arc out of the way, but they're taking the long way.
Definitely benefitted from its length, tough.
Subaru is a pretty fun protagonist, he reminds me a bit of Kazuma, but without the condescending attitude. He's easy-going, casual and has no problem saying whatever is on his mind and approaching others.
His chemistry with 'Satella' is also showing through already. The banter between those two is a lot of fun.

They also didn't shy away from the violence. There's a lot of blood and no censoring. Some neat action scenes and pretty shots, but all around it's nothing mindblowing on the visual side.

Cornbread78

What are those Rick's bread gifs? Some messed up stuff.....

Oh yeah, I'll check out Re:Zero later after indoor soccer while I'm working, lol. It's been on my radar along with the twin star exorcist.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Kuma Miko 1

What do they mean that she isn't ready for city life because she cooks her rice on a stove? I'm a city kid through and through and I cook my rice on a stove! That's such a silly reason and for that I'm dropping this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom