• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Ace Attorney Episode 6:

Yea, I will say this adaptation has been good for reminding me why I just can't and probably will never be able to connect deeply with this series. I know I have railed on it before and I know this is supposed to be a satire on the Japanese justice system but I just can't get past the immersion breaking stupidity of this justice system.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I try, I really do, but when a witness mentions they were coerced into withholding information on the stand and the trial continues, I just can't.

My success track with Imagawa shows is only 33%, if you're sure you can survive another dose of my whining then sure, I'm game.

For what it's worth, Imagawa was only behind the first three episodes before jumping ship on the project. If you enjoyed Diebuster, TTGL, Shin Mazinger, enjoy the majority of the action being big manly dudes in wacky-looking robots punching and shooting laser beams at gooey monsters and things generally being over-the-top insane, you'll probably enjoy Getter Robo Armageddon.

If you really want to get into the story aspect of it, I'd recommend reading the Getter Robo and Getter Robo G manga. There's no connection between the OVA and those, but it does provide you with a general background on the main characters at least.

Jintor

I try, I really do, but when a witness mentions they were coerced into withholding information on the stand and the trial continues, I just can't.

nah i getcha. it's very transparently a justice system for plot contrivance as opposed to actual functioning according to principles of justice/law etc. Actually as a law talking guy I now find it very difficult to go back to ace attorney games, especially early cases in games before they really start to ramp up the complexity and character involvement.

phaze

For what it's worth, Imagawa was only behind the first three episodes before jumping ship on the project. If you enjoyed Diebuster, TTGL, Shin Mazinger, enjoy the majority of the action being big manly dudes in wacky-looking robots punching and shooting laser beams at gooey monsters and things generally being over-the-top insane, you'll probably enjoy Getter Robo Armageddon.

If you really want to get into the story aspect of it, I'd recommend reading the Getter Robo and Getter Robo G manga. There's no connection between the OVA and those, but it does provide you with a general background on the main characters at least.

I think I'll be okay with just the OVA. lol

So then, this contract is sealed ? For full disclosure, I think I've seen 2 eps of Kino's Journey already.

phaze

Pendrigum right?

ojrgyxgl7s08.gif

Mawaru Penguindrum :p

pbayne

The Empire of Corpses

Bad. Horrible. Terrible. Abysmal. Its rare to find a movie that fails on so many levels. It fails as a story driven narrative, because its a sloppily written and directed mess. It fails as a character piece, because they're so underdeveloped and boring. And most shocking it fails as a thematic exploration, fucking crazy considering its a mix of Shelly's Frankenstein and sci-fi, to have a story with that mix be bereft of any insightful themes or concepts is mind blowinly bad writing.

Like many modern takes on the Frankenstein story it only explores the popular/less interesting ideas of the original book. I would believe it if someone told me that the people working on this movie never read the original text, because they miss the point so hard. Jeez the pacing and layout of scene in this movie, especially the first hour, is so bad. Scenes just lurch from location to location with the loosest of narratives connecting them. When the bad guy revealed his Eva/James Bond level plan at the end, I actively started to despise this movie. The script is so full of pointless, meandering scenes and unresolved secondary plots. You couldn't find a show less engaging. And then when it runs out of ideas it devolves into mindless action scholk.

Thats enough because im tired just thinking about it. There are movies that i hate more because they pissed me off more but this was a colossal waste of 2 hours. Avoid at all costs.

My hopes for the other Itoh movies is rock bottom now.

KraytarJ

Lost Village 06
I'm really getting some Aldnoah Zero vibes from this one, as in its going to completely collapse under the weight of its own potential and be hot garbage by the end. But like AZ I just want to see how bad this shit show gets. Also, like wtf at the CG it looked so bad.

Eumi

Honestly I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep up with this show. I hate back stories full of bullying and unfair situations and it seems we're gonna go through a lot of them. Honestly, I'm kind of disappointed were just doing monsters now, or at least that they're showing them to us. The strongest thing the show had going was the idea that there could be no threat other than the people turning on each other, but now it seems that there might be actually monsters, although it remains to be seen if they're truly real.

Edit: just realised my joke doesn't even work, Lost is technically in the title already. Damn languages and their differences.

blurr

Mayoiga 06

Those "apparitions" had some really interesting and grotesque designs. Particularly the silicone monster.

Back stories were adorable.

Still don't know what a Tokimune is.

The preview for the next episode ended saying "I should've bought more itch cream" - it's going to get more ridiculous.

phaze

Lost Village 06
I'm really getting some Aldnoah Zero vibes from this one, as in its going to completely collapse under the weight of its own potential and be hot garbage by the end. But like AZ I just want to see how bad this shit show gets. Also, like wtf at the CG it looked so bad.

Potential ?

Potential

What potential ?

The only potential it had from the very beginning was as a comedy and its delivering on that front pretty neatly.

Shonen Maid Episode 4 What One Likes, One Will Do Well

I liked the first one a bit more. Everytime they do something emotional with the mom it becomes really memorable, and this time it was just something as simple as chihiro's note from his first errand or the picture of his mom or his name. Really sweet.

KraytarJ

Potential ?

Potential

What potential ?

The only potential it had from the very beginning was as a comedy and its delivering on that front pretty neatly.
I thought there was potential for an interesting mystery/suspense show that would inevitably end on an unsatisfying conclusion as they do. Maybe I just misread it but so far it's been way more silly than suspenseful.

Narag

I thought there was potential for an interesting mystery/suspense show that would inevitably end on an unsatisfying conclusion as they do. Maybe I just misread it but so far it's been way more silly than suspenseful.

People like to rag on others for paying attention to staff but knowing Mizushima and Okada going in had expectations set accordingly for a lot of those enjoying the show. It's exactly what we thought it'd be.

Monster Strike Episode 22

Wow I always get sad seeing Ren depressed and then they were just laughing at him, that was rude and then they didn't even close it out good for him :(

Muscle Pulse of America looks like it will be an awesome battle.

Narag

If I had to guess, she was lying in the first season because she actually has to "sell" the product and telling it was tested on children isn't that good for business.

But if she's already lying about it, why tell some random guy that you're doing something evil? She doesn't even gain anything from it. Between that and how Human-man didn't even have a reaction it just felt like an awkward line that existed more to tell the audience how evil the woman is than anything else.

You're probably right looking back at ti but I still wonder, given her body language, if her saying that wasn't just the driest of humor towards some dude excessively worried about something.

Clov

The Empire of Corpses

Bad. Horrible. Terrible. Abysmal. Its rare to find a movie that fails on so many levels. It fails as a story driven narrative, because its a sloppily written and directed mess. It fails as a character piece, because they're so underdeveloped and boring. And most shocking it fails as a thematic exploration, fucking crazy considering its a mix of Shelly's Frankenstein and sci-fi, to have a story with that mix be bereft of any insightful themes or concepts is mind blowinly bad writing.

Like many modern takes on the Frankenstein story it only explores the popular/less interesting ideas of the original book. I would believe it if someone told me that the people working on this movie never read the original text, because they miss the point so hard. Jeez the pacing and layout of scene in this movie, especially the first hour, is so bad. Scenes just lurch from location to location with the loosest of narratives connecting them. When the bad guy revealed his Eva/James Bond level plan at the end, I actively started to despise this movie. The script is so full of pointless, meandering scenes and unresolved secondary plots. You couldn't find a show less engaging. And then when it runs out of ideas it devolves into mindless action scholk.

Thats enough because im tired just thinking about it. There are movies that i hate more because they pissed me off more but this was a colossal waste of 2 hours. Avoid at all costs.

Yeah, this film was a massive disappointment. Such a waste of a cool premise on complete nonsense.

If it's any consolation, I enjoyed Harmony considerably more. It's directed by Takashi Nakamura (Fantastic Children) and Micheal Arias (Tekkonkinkreet). The pacing is slow, and it's very dialogue and flashback heavy, but I found it to be very interesting. It's not perfect (some CG effects look out of place), and there were some things I did find odd about the script, but regardless it's a huge step above The Empire of Corpses.

I wonder how Genocidal Organ will turn out after all this time? I'm interested to see it, but I hope it won't end up like WIT's effort...

DiGiKerot

The Empire of Corpses

Whilst I can't say I've heard a ton of super-great things about Harmony (a shame, because the book is great), do bear in mind that Itoh died having written only around 30 pages of Empire of Corpses - the vast majority of the book was actually written by Toh Enjoe, and even then, I gather the movie isn't that great an adaptation of that.

I'm basically just saying that the narrative and thematic qualities of Empire of Corpses probably have very little bearing on the quality of the other two Itoh movies, it's not like he was the one who actually wrote most of it.

Narag

Gyakuten Saiban 6

Surprisingly, I have no complaints about this one. They managed to elevate the investigative portion on the studio lot since it was ripe for creative freedom. Mayoi was a gem throughout and the scene with Naruhudo and the kid was pretty good. I'd imagine whoever did the storyboard was mostly responsible for this one's jump in quality.

Compared to other anime, ep was probably just average so it's a shame this wasn't he baseline for the show so far as it'd be immensely more watchable if so. If I were an optimist though, maybe they're finally getting it together with the longer cases and punching things up a bit since there's actually room to play.

Clov

Whilst I can't say I've heard a ton of super-great things about Harmony (a shame, because the book is great), do bear in mind that Itoh died having written only around 30 pages of Empire of Corpses - the vast majority of the book was actually written by Toh Enjoe, and even then, I gather the movie isn't that great an adaptation of that.

I haven't been able to find many reviews of Harmony at all. I've seen a few posters on other forums say they found it boring, but I didn't put much thought into them since I like a lot of films that are paced more slowly. I'm really curious as to how the film will be received.

jgminto

Tanaka-kun 5
Too much straight people bullshit in the second half of the episode, student prez seems like the least interesting character of the cast so far from her second appearance and if they actually try to force a romantic relationship between her and Tanaka then I'd probably end up dropping the show, they have so little chemistry while Ohta and Tanaka have a relationship that's completely obvious to everyone. The first half of the episode was fun at least.

RIN-NE Season 2 Episode 30 – Digging Up Memories | Demon at the Campground

Rokudo's dad part was good though they could have avoided the money part and just made it a really sentimental pure hearted moment.

Masato was hilarious in the third part of the episode, he always needs to be around more especially with Tsubasa and Rokudo.

Qurupeke

Kiznaiver 5
Another good episode. It still relies mostly to humor than actual drama, and I'm totally fine with it. Still, the final scene with Chidori wasn't bad, I actually liked it. And her reactions continue to be on point. Tenga's help barely amounted to anything, as Chidori actually came closer to Katsuhira on her own.

Maki and Yuta though... Such an intense scene. Maybe the actual OTP of the show.

Tanaka-kun is a Sloth 5

This episode might be the best one yet we had:

- More hijinks of the Thoraxes crew stalking their waifu and beating up people crying

- The whole scene of the supermarket with the moms and Ohta lmao

- Shiraishi actually had a good section of the episode that actually made me like her.

- The whole conversation on who Tanaka-kun likes and the realization from Ohta made me genuinely LMAO

- And the sweetness of the end with the revelation on who is the secret master of whom

This show might be AOTS depending on whether Tonkatsu DJ shits the bed, but at least it's a solid #2

Tanaka-kun 5
Too much straight people bullshit in the second half of the episode, student prez seems like the least interesting character of the cast so far from her second appearance and if they actually try to force a romantic relationship between her and Tanaka then I'd probably end up dropping the show, they have so little chemistry while Ohta and Tanaka have a relationship that's completely obvious to everyone. The first half of the episode was fun at least.

The likelyhood the show actually goes in a romantic angle is very very low. The show just seems to enjoy the romantic humor for both fronts

Ascheroth

Danball Senki #27

NANIII?!?
So much is happening.

Mayoiga #6

Their 'fears' were quite creative. Lmao.

Asterisk #18

Thankfully they won their battle while being handicapped, but this also means the kidnapping suplot is still dragging on. And I just don't care about that one single bit, because it means Flora will eventually get more screentime. It's fascinating how just the voice of a single character can make me hate entire subplots.
Seriously, fuck her voice.

But the last third or so entirely about the puppets washed the bad taste out of my mouths. They're great.

Kiznaiver #5

I'm going to be dissappointed if Tenga and Chidori don't end up together at the end.
That was a short gaze into fullforce Okada territory. The direction kept it in check though.

Jarmel

Banned
Yea this week's Kiznaiver was really fucking good. I think the big theme coming out of this show is going to be the long term effects of different types of bullying; whether it's fat-shaming, physical, girl pressure to fit in, and male sexual pressure.

Qurupeke

Okada and TRIGGER saving anime.
Yea this week's Kiznaiver was really fucking good. I think the big theme coming out of this show is going to be the long term effects of different types of bullying; whether it's fat-shaming, physical, girl pressure to fit in, and male sexual pressure.

I never thought it like that but this is really cool and kind of unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom