• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibyea

Banned
Kiznaiver: 4-5
Episode 4 was an okay slice of life episode, but 5 was great. Its a nice mix of weird surreal moments, comedy, and drama. It reveals a little more behind what on the outsets seem like shallow and unpleasant persona for these cast of characters, but in reality are ways they cope with their personal troubles. They even managed to extract a great story out of my least favorite character Chidori.

Kansoku

Mayoiga - 6

giphy.gif

19c75d5f3deda437170e1f49d8497efd.jpg

076-2.jpg

latest

Cornbread78

Kiznaiver ep.5
Really interesting episode as they now have a physical and emotional bond growing between them. I'm actually enjoying the characters more than I thought I would and their personalities are starting to get more interesting as we go. Chidori does need to chill and realize she the childhood friend though...

Kiznaiver 05

Well damn you guys weren't kidding, this really was a good episode. This may be my favourite show of the season. I love Kabaneri, but this has been getting better and better each week, feeding me a little bit of the carrot I am running for every time. This week however gave us what could be a glimpse of what this whole project has been for, and why these kids in particular were chosen. Also, Chidori is great and you are all wrong!

Tuck

Kiznaiver is definitely the surprise of the season for me. Reading the description of it before hand, I thought it would be absolute garbage. The writer didn't instill confidence in me either.

Danball Senki W 19

So up to this point, we had hotel explosion threats, and even someone attempting to assassinate the female President WHILE playing in a tournament which led to a showdown between Ban and Hiro, which sadly I couldn't webm because I don't know how to. But man that was some hot potatos, a fight so hype
the tournament committee bent the rules to let both teams go on after they both tie.

And this was playing?

Hell yes.

ibyea

Banned
Lost Village: 6
Or, Lovepon thinks she is a Dalek.

This episode isn't funny at all. In fact, it is pretty horrifying at times. But I was astounded by the ridiculousness of it all nonetheless. The way out there drama mixed with the way out there scenario, I couldn't take it seriously at all. Their attempts to develop the characters made them even less believable to me. It's a shame really because of how poorly it is handling the theme of social ostracization and trauma, which by the Kiznaiver is doing it a million times ever (I can't believe these two shows are from the same writer). This show is truly a masterclass in shitty writing.

JulianImp

Barakamon #1-2
To think I could've been watching this rather than crappy seasonal shows... I was already sold on this show halfway through the very first episode even though it does have some slapstick humor, sadly. The world being so normal made the ghost on Ep2 really freaking weird, even if it was really telegraphed with how the old man walked off into a dark and eery corridor.

Kiznaiver is definitely the surprise of the season for me. Reading the description of it before hand, I thought it would be absolute garbage. The writer didn't instill confidence in me either.

I didn't think it would be garbage, I thought it would be something I would enjoy but others here wouldn't. It's good to see how positive everyone is about it. This episode in particular really made me feel more for these characters, it's pretty great.

Cornbread78

Barakamon #1-2
To think I could've been watching this rather than crappy seasonal shows... I was already sold on this show halfway through the very first episode even though it does have some slapstick humor, sadly. The world being so normal made the ghost on Ep2 really freaking weird, even if it was really telegraphed with how the old man walked off into a dark and eery corridor.

Barakamon is absolutely great. Handa and Naru really make the show shine.

Chidori isn't a bad character. I like her.
But I do think everyone else is more interesting.
When is best bro gonna get more focus?

Is it possiblefor him to best best bro for both Chidori and Kats?

Kiritobread ruthless towards Chidori.

I think "know your roll" is pretty fitting here, lol

Flying Witch 05

This episode made me feel sleepy, not because it was boring but because it was so relaxing. Doesn't help that it's almost 1AM for me lol.

blurr

I'm not sure I can watch any more of Mayoiga. It's always been something of a cruel show, but so far it's mostly been showing cruel idiots so I didn't mind much. This latest episode feels like it's gone too far into being mean-spirited. I know it's over-the-top and all that, but still, if I'm supposed to be laughing at weak people getting physically abused and psychologically tortured, I can't do that.

To be fair, it didn't give the impression that I'm supposed to laugh at them but I get what you're saying in retrospect of the show in general. It really felt like them getting a scolding/warning for making some poor life choices (i.e. running away to a sketchy place with sketchy people).

I'm not sure where this is all going but I'm just being optimistic about it.

Macross 36 (End)

Pretty good, although the love triangle got all kinds of stupid near the end, mostly because of Hikaru's stupidity. Felt like some of the Zentradi characters were wasted in the post-war arc as well, would've liked more Britai and Exsedol in more non-military scenes.

Just T

Ushio and Tora: 32

I was wondering how this moment would go since the first season and I think it turned out really well. There was an expected hint of awkwardness with the meeting with his mother and it was just an overall good and sweet scene between the two. However, that didn't last long with the last moments, really intense scene from Hakumen.

Jessica Jones > Deadpool > Iron Man 3 > Sword Art Online > all the other superhero films.
Firehawk we used to be friends, but Jessica Jones was trash. Not a good superhero how nor a good detective show.

I'll take silly daredevil modern ninja over hilariously bad super jump

Edit: motherfucker I'll take Vince Vaughn speaking nonsense and trying to be deep in true detective season 2 over more Jessica Jones.

I am 100% sure he's going to end up with chidori because it's statistical fact childhood friends never end together. She'll probably eventually realize that what's his face isn't interested in her and that the guy who had been supporting her was genuinely interested in her or some shit.

Lost Village: 6
Or, Lovepon thinks she is a Dalek.

This episode isn't funny at all. In fact, it is pretty horrifying at times. But I was astounded by the ridiculousness of it all nonetheless. The way out there drama mixed with the way out there scenario, I couldn't take it seriously at all. Their attempts to develop the characters made them even less believable to me. It's a shame really because of how poorly it is handling the theme of social ostracization and trauma, which by the Kiznaiver is doing it a million times ever (I can't believe these two shows are from the same writer). This show is truly a masterclass in shitty writing.

That's the difference directors will make. Both Mizushima and Kobayashi have been heavily involved in the writing of these shows, as is usually the case with anime - Okada has said Mizushima has been playing up the ridiculousness of Mayoiga's scenario while Kobayashi demanded a total revision of Okada's first battle-centric draft of Kiznaiver. Each director has different sensibilities, and that leads them to draw different things out of Okada's writing.

I suppose I'll have to give Kiznaiver a shot now.

To be fair, it didn't give the impression that I'm supposed to laugh at them but I get what you're saying in retrospect of the show in general. It really felt like them getting a scolding/warning for making some poor life choices (i.e. running away to a sketchy place with sketchy people).

I'm not sure where this is all going but I'm just being optimistic about it.

I'm fairly certain we are supposed to laugh at them. After all, this is Tsutomu Mizushima we're talking about. He's always had a mean streak to his humor, from Hare+Guu to Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan to Azazel-san to Witchcraft Works (that goofy torture ED). I like him as a director overall, but his tendency to indulge in mean-spirited humor laughing at bad things happening to people can lead to unpleasant moments. I didn't like Azazel-san for this reason, and I'm not liking Mayoiga now for the same reason. Well, even worse here, because I simply don't find making fun of child abuse victims funny.

blurr

I'm fairly certain we are supposed to laugh at them. After all, this is Tsutomu Mizushima we're talking about. He's always had a mean streak to his humor, from Hare+Guu to Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan to Azazel-san to Witchcraft Works (that goofy torture ED). I like him as a director overall, but his tendency to indulge in mean-spirited humor laughing at bad things happening to people can lead to unpleasant moments. I didn't like Azazel-san for this reason, and I'm not liking Mayoiga now for the same reason. Well, even worse here, because I simply don't find making fun of child abuse victims funny.

Well again, I didn't get that impression. I'm not aware of the director's style very well but if that's really what he intended for those particular scenes then I'll have to agree with you on that.

ibyea

Banned
That's the difference directors will make. Both Mizushima and Kobayashi have been heavily involved in the writing of these shows, as is usually the case with anime - Okada has said Mizushima has been playing up the ridiculousness of Mayoiga's scenario while Kobayashi demanded a total revision of Okada's first battle-centric draft of Kiznaiver. Each director has different sensibilities, and that leads them to draw different things out of Okada's writing.

I suppose I'll have to give Kiznaiver a shot now.

As always I appreciate your insight!

pbayne

Welcome to the NHK - 1

It's funny when you go mostly blindly into a show, you're filled with all sorts of presumptions, like this show. For whatever reason I was half expecting this to be like Shirobako, only based on a guy who works for NHK, dealing with the crazy hectic schedule of news delivery, instead within the first 5 minutes my mind was full of what as I tried to comprehand Satou's surrealistic visions.

Now that my illusion of what the show is has been shattered, I enjoyed that first episode, very different from anything I've decided to watch before and interested to see where Satou's mental issues take him from here and how he deals trying to readjust himself into society.

Lol im trying to imagine the show now if it was like Shirobako.
Fantastic show though, you're in for quite a ride.

Welcome to the NHK - 1

It's funny when you go mostly blindly into a show, you're filled with all sorts of presumptions, like this show. For whatever reason I was half expecting this to be like Shirobako, only based on a guy who works for NHK, dealing with the crazy hectic schedule of news delivery, instead within the first 5 minutes my mind was full of what as I tried to comprehand Satou's surrealistic visions.

Now that my illusion of what the show is has been shattered, I enjoyed that first episode, very different from anything I've decided to watch before and interested to see where Satou's mental issues take him from here and how he deals trying to readjust himself into society.

Heh, before I started watching Welcome to the NHK I expected to get some contrieved conspiracy club with the usual quirky anime characters as members.

Instead I got a show that dove into depression and related topics masterfully and featured some damn authentic human characters. It also features one of my all time favorite screams in anime, that frigging voice actor's performance...damn.

Qurupeke

Hyouka 11.5
Pool episode on Hyouka. It had several cute moments and tsundere Oreki, I'm very pleased. However, they teased Oreki's sister so much, only to have her face obstructed. And she didn't even appear on the pool. Life is actually sad.

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san 07-09
ware ware
yore yore
sekai wa dark

found the GAF user who has the relevant Shantak-kun avatar:
Rebel Leader
THE POWER OF
BUTTERSCOTCH
BOTTOMS
image.php

also I realized that Kuuko is voiced by the same seiyuu who did Anna in Shimoneta. She does get the crazy down perfect here as well. RIP

pbayne

Flying Witch 5

Kei's right, look at that Chito smug face. Thats just a cats natural smugness.

Kiznaiver 5

Nice to see a bit more depth for the characters. I liked the mosquito/emotional pain fake out, that actually turned out to be an actual thing, that was pretty clever. Overall just a great episode and it fells like its moving into more interesting, in-depth directions.

Also, anyone think Tenga is such an odd man out in that, he seems so assured and self-confident, its hard to really imagine him having any deeper emotional issues or insecurities. Granted he may be masking it behind bravado.

Loved that Hyouka episode. It's true that its mystery is fairly lame, however since I love the characters in Hyouka so much, Oreki's awkwardness was so fun to follow. It also didn't feature creepy fanservcy shots. The only time the girls (or maybe it's just Chitanda, can't recall) get checked out its clearly from Oreki's point of view and the camera moves with some uncertainty, as he himself didn't quite know what to think.

Oreki's sister is more of a force of nature pushing Oreki forward a bit rather than a normal character. Well, I can't explain well what I'm trying to say but either way, I really like how they handle her and how we just aren't shown her face here.

Qurupeke

Loved that Hyouka episode. It's true that its mystery is fairly lame, however since I love the characters in Hyouka so much, Oreki's awkwardness was so fun to follow. It also didn't feature creepy fanservcy shots. The only time the girls (or maybe it's just Chitanda, can't recall) get checked out its clearly from Oreki's point of view and the camera moves with some uncertainty, as he himself didn't quite know what to think.

Oreki's sister is more of a force of nature pushing Oreki forward a bit rather than a normal character. Well, I can't explain well what I'm trying to say but either way, I really like how they handle her and how we just aren't shown her face here.

I agree 100%. The mystery was weak, but it was mostly there to prove Chitanda's point, so I don't mind it. What you describe about Oreki happens, but yeah, it is handled nicely. If anything, it seems to serve primarily as character development to Oreki and then as "fanservice". Really enjoyable and relaxing episode, and a refreshing break from the school stuff.

About his sister, I didn't mind it that much, it's just that I am curious about her face.

duckroll

Well again, I didn't get that impression. I'm not aware of the director's style very well but if that's really what he intended for those particular scenes then I'll have to agree with you on that.

I don't think Mizushima is mean spirited so much as a master of exaggeration. He's not asking the audience to laugh AT the scenes so much as giving them the opportunity to find humor in exaggerated drama if they want to. Realism can be traumatic but ridiculousness can be funny. It's a fine line.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Firehawk we used to be friends, but Jessica Jones was trash. Not a good superhero how nor a good detective show.

I'll take silly daredevil modern ninja over hilariously bad super jump

Edit: motherfucker I'll take Vince Vaughn speaking nonsense and trying to be deep in true detective season 2 over more Jessica Jones.
To be real for a second, all super hero stuff is kind of terrible. lol

By virtue of being the only story featuring a woman and being about issues that would never appear in a Marvel film, Jessica Jones stands out as the least worst Marvel thing I've seen.

It's sort of the same reason why I think Iron Man 3 is the best Marvel film (if you don't count Deadpool), because it just doesn't give any fucks. The middle part where Stark hangs out with the kid is probably my favourite moment out of the hours and hours of Marvel stuff I've subjected myself too.

Hyouka 11.5
Pool episode on Hyouka. It had several cute moments and tsundere Oreki, I'm very pleased. However, they teased Oreki's sister so much, only to have her face obstructed. And she didn't even appear on the pool. Life is actually sad.

I'm glad more people are on #team11.5. It's an integral episode to the entire Hyouka mythology!

I don't think Mizushima is mean spirited so much as a master of exaggeration. He's not asking the audience to laugh AT the scenes so much as giving them the opportunity to find humor in exaggerated drama if they want to. Realism can be traumatic but ridiculousness can be funny. It's a fine line.

Observing some of Mizushima's past works, particularly Azazel-san, I have to say that he can be deliberately mean-spirited - not all the time, but it is a recurring theme. Azazel-san felt like it hated all its characters, wanted them to suffer, and wanted us to laugh at how stupid they are and how they are getting their just punishment for being bad. Mayoiga feels similar, and that didn't bother me too much in the opening episodes where all the characters come off as quirky and rather idiotic, it really bothered me in episode 6 with the backstories. Lovepon's backstory in particular rubbed me the wrong way compared with the treatment of her character. I can't be rooting for a heavily scarred and traumatized abuse victim to die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom