• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exalted

Hero Academia Episode 6

Nice episode, But damn is Katsuki Bakugou annoying. He alone makes the show go from great to just ok for me.

blurr

I don't think Mizushima is mean spirited so much as a master of exaggeration. He's not asking the audience to laugh AT the scenes so much as giving them the opportunity to find humor in exaggerated drama if they want to. Realism can be traumatic but ridiculousness can be funny. It's a fine line.

The scenes from Mayoiga in question (bullying, disappointment, humiliation and child abuse in the past) aren't particularly ridiculous if not ridiculous at all.

Them being chased down by their deepest fears (in this case were weird apparitions) is ridiculous in a sense which is fine. However they did feel out of the line in context of the past.

Tale of Princess Kaguya

This is my second Isao Takahata film after Only Yesterday which is my favorite Ghibli film. I was looking forward to watch it and boy did it deliver. A beautiful and sad tale with an amazing message about life presented so well. It was a delight to watch it from start to finish with several moments that just blew my mind. Excellent voice over work also amplified my experience with the film, it felt like a living breathing world.

This also had some of the best character animation I have seen, I loved the understated nature of it. It is reflective the message the show tried to deliver.

One of the scenes that stood out for me the most was
the moment when Kaguya runs away from the mansion, all the way over to the fields where she grew up.
I was utterly speechless.

Jintor

Tanaka 5

Miyano 2 stronk

I felt the second half dragged a little (more than usual considering Tanaka wasn't even in most of it) but at the same time I vividly remember having almost exactly the same kind of horrible confidence issues she had, so I didn't mind it too much

/edit also this was the episode where I finally realised that Ohta is at the very least as much as a goofball as every other member of the cast, he's just way better at maintaining a straight face

Qurupeke

New Kizanaiver episode was alright, not sure why some see it as a step up from previous episodes. Still best show of the season.

I feel it's gradually becoming better. Episodes 1&2 were okayish but a bit confusing. In episode 3 the show's nature started to become more apparent, and everything has been escalating since then.

duckroll

The scenes from Mayoiga in question (bullying, disappointment, humiliation and child abuse in the past) aren't particularly ridiculous if not ridiculous at all.

Them being chased down by their deepest fears (in this case have were weird apparitions) is ridiculous in a sense which is fine. However they did feel out of the line in context of the past.

I dunno. Most of it presented in a pretty "ridiculous" way in one way or another. Some of it is ironic, like the train story, and is only "funny" because he got owned by his own arrogance and the LOLface the train had ended being ironic humor.

In the case of Nyanta and Lovepon, I think it's meant to be tragic black humor where the audience can laugh at their quirky means of dealing with their abuse, but it doesn't have to be funny to be interesting in this case. The abuse itself isn't funny but the trauma itself can be.

Obviously black humor is not for everyone, but I don't think it is humor at the expense of victims so much as laughing at how the world can be messed up and people can have weird way of dealing with that.

There is something darkly funny about a girl who shot her bullies at distance with a pellet gun and then they get revenge on her trapping her under a wasp nest and using her pellet gun to shoot at them and piss them off.

Like I didn't find the bullying funny but like duckroll said I found it darkly amusing by how fucked up the situation is. Reminds me of a horror movie I watched when the killer pops up but the victim simply has a heart attack and dies and the killer just shrugs his shoulders and walks away.

blurr

I dunno. Most of it presented in a pretty "ridiculous" way in one way or another. Some of it is ironic, like the train story, and is only "funny" because he got owned by his own arrogance and the LOLface the train had ended being ironic humor.

In the case of Nyanta and Lovepon, I think it's meant to be tragic black humor where the audience can laugh at their quirky means of dealing with their abuse, but it doesn't have to be funny to be interesting in this case. The abuse itself isn't funny but the trauma itself can be.

Obviously black humor is not for everyone, but I don't think it is humor at the expense of victims so much as laughing at how the world can be messed up and people can have weird way of dealing with that.

Yea, I guess I'm sensitive to this sort of humor. I just didn't find it funny to the point that I didn't realize it was humor of any sort. It was however interesting in the sense of witnessing what or how their fears manifested in real life.

I'm not sure how "execute" is a way to cope with her trauma but that's what the show implied which is kind of silly.

My Hero Academia 06

Bakugo feels less like an actual human and more like a manifestation of all the fear Deku has built up over the years, he's everything he can be boxed into a personification of fear - I won't be surprised if someone calls me out for over analyzing but pardon my indulgence. I like how they played with the nickname "Deku" to make it mean "can do" instead of "can't do" echoing the whole theme of the show.

I had hoped they'd wrap the whole "test" in the episode but alas! looking forward to the next episode.

KraytarJ

My Hero Academia 06
I feel as though I shouldn't love this show as much as I do, it's somewhat slow, very melodramatic, and at times even predictable and yet it's been the standout of the season for me. Maybe it's just nice to see the star of these shows rely as much on brain as braun and earn every bit of what they have. Another good episode though and it'll be interesting for sure to see how Deku vs Kacchon is handled considering Deku doesn't want to use all for one on him and instead wants to just use his notes on him.

Luluco 06
I don't even know what to say, it's like taking speed for 7 minutes every episode and that's exactly what I want from this show.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Boku no Hero Academia Episode 6:

Ugh, it is too early in the damn morning for some of this Shonen cheese that gets passed off as emotion. That being said, another competent but unmemorable episode in the life and times of Deku Scrub. Indeed, it is time for the almost bog standard shonen rivalry showdown. I say almost if only because I am being spared the pretense of Bakugo and Deku being any sort of friends. Also, considering how female superheros are depicted, Ochako should be thanking her stars that the default is a full bodysuit rather than some sort of permutation on the sexy bikini.

My Hero Academia 6

Oh man this is my AOTS along with Tanaka-kun! The adaptation is soooo perfect! I love it! Deku is an amazing kid.

MHA, D.Gray-man and Haikyu....the battle for the aoty will by hard.

I feel it's gradually becoming better. Episodes 1&2 were okayish but a bit confusing. In episode 3 the show's nature started to become more apparent, and everything has been escalating since then.

I think episode 4 is my favourite. I kind of expected the shared pain to also be emotional

pbayne

GaXivKX.png

Good. So Good. Probably the best compliment i can give is that in terms of shonen sports show id put just, just below Hajime no Ippo, but that still puts several notches above almost everything else. Great animation (honestly this puts Kuroko to shame regularly and i like Kuroko), great comedy and great characters. It s a bit weird that the Ryonan game is the emotional climax and natural peak/end of the story, the last 15 or so episodes weren't really needed, they served to set-up the manga more than anything, though it was awesome to see the dream team of Shoyo and Ryonan. Its also something of a rarity in a sports show for me, that i actually always wanted the main team, Shohoku, to win.

Definitely a must watch sports show imo. The pacing for the first 30 or so episodes is a little weird but once Mitsui joins the team and the main tournament starts, it fires on all cylinders.

_Ryo_

So... I've always wondered. Do we gotta talk about the current season of anime in here or can we review old anime as well?

phaze

Getter Robo Armageddon 04-06
hecan'tkeepgettingawaywiththis.gif

This is one of the more obvious midshow changes in staff. One would need a brighter mind than mine to deftly put a finger on all the little changes that transpired because of the change in the directorial seat but suffice it to say, Imagawa's departure is keenly felt. To me, the biggest offender and most obvious is the change of music from pompous orchestral score to some lame rock meh. Neither am I fan of the drastic story shift, the much mellow pace is understandable and to an extent even welcome but none of the new main cast have yet captured my attention. Where's Ryoma ? At least the rest of the cast belatedly came back into the story so I can see myself enjoying next episodes more.

Getter Robo Armageddon 04-06

hecan'tkeepgettingawaywiththis.gif

This is one of the more obvious midshow changes in staff. One would need a brighter mind than mine to deftly put a finger on all the little changes that transpired because of the change in the directorial seat but suffice it to say, Imagawa's departure is keenly felt. To me, the biggest offender and most obvious is the change of music from pompous orchestral score to some lame rock meh. Neither am I fan of the drastic story shift, the much mellow pace is understandable and to an extent even welcome but none of the new main cast have yet captured my attention. Where's Ryoma ? At least the rest of the cast belatedly came back into the story so I can see myself enjoying next episodes more.

Regarding the story shift, when Imagawa left the project, he also took the script for it with him, so the staff had to fill in the blanks themselves. It's a real shame honestly, while what they have is still genuinely good, it could have been so much better had Imagawa stayed.

As for the orchestral score you miss, well...just wait. :)

Kuromukuro 5

Kind of a weird episode. A couple of character introductions in jealous redband and shy councellor and despite both occupying more time than a brief introduction, there's very little about either that feels interesting or important. As much I love a bow-legged, elbows out grump-walk, I'm not really down for redband's entitled secretly-love-her-from-afar thing. The councellor's flustered interjection was just odd. She probably has to introduce herself to new students but I'm sure the girls know where their school's library is and what it's for; the resulting interaction never goes beyond the mundane or provides any indication of why her role on the show going forward would have any value before everyone bails for the alert. I mean, besides her being adorable obviously. Oh and Sophie's a bummer but she's a humourless, outspoken Mademoiselle with a butler, so that was obvious from the start.

- Kennosuke really doesn't look or sound like a 'Ken.'
- Kennosuke using an e-dictionary is good.
- The collective "Woooo!" of the class after "I need you." made me laugh.
- Needs more Koharu (this is a perpetual suggestion)

blurr

Come to think of it, how many anime have either or both parents as protagonists? I can only think of Wolf Children.

duckroll

Haifuri - Episode 5

Well... I guess this was about as decent as we can expect after the show jumped the shark with mind controlling hamsters. I'm kinda hoping they resolve the Musashi thing by next week and move on with the story rather than dragging it out. The slice of life elements are still entertaining, and the naval battles have great effects animation, but the stupidity of the "plot" is looming over everything else...

Kiznaiver - Episode 5

This could be the best episode of anime I watched this week. Not sure if that says something about the show, or if it says something about the lower quality of episodes this week... Seriously though, this was really well executed, and while I still have no idea where the show is going or what this show really wants to be, it handles the characters well, and I find myself liking the characters more as I understand them more. So... I guess the Kizuna System is working???? Maybe? Idk.

Ascheroth

My Hero Academia #6

The episode just flew by like always. All Might chuckling at the obviousness of Midoriyas costume was fun. And how Deku just does a 180 about his nickname the moment Ochako says she likes it (and gives it a positive meaning instead).
Time to show that little shit Bakugou what's up. Next episode is going to be great.

Sakamoto #4

Yeah, this does indeed get better by the episode and episode 1 was the weakest by far.
Every scene with Acchan just cracks me up.

_Ryo_

Come to think of it, how many anime have either or both parents as protagonists? I can only think of Wolf Children.

Only ones I can think of off the top my head are

Death Note
Shaman King
Welcome to the NHK

And im not even sure about these since I haven't seen or read them in yeaaars.

Like I said, Clannad is one of the few.

Sailor Moon and some Digimon anime as well, I think.

GaXivKX.png

Good. So Good. Probably the best compliment i can give is that in terms of shonen sports show id put just, just below Hajime no Ippo, but that still puts several notches above almost everything else. Great animation (honestly this puts Kuroko to shame regularly and i like Kuroko), great comedy and great characters. It s a bit weird that the Ryonan game is the emotional climax and natural peak/end of the story, the last 15 or so episodes weren't really needed, they served to set-up the manga more than anything, though it was awesome to see the dream team of Shoyo and Ryonan. Its also something of a rarity in a sports show for me, that i actually always wanted the main team, Shohoku, to win.

Definitely a must watch sports show imo. The pacing for the first 30 or so episodes is a little weird but once Mitsui joins the team and the main tournament starts, it fires on all cylinders.

RUKAWA is the best!!!!!!

Wanderer5

Hana is my favorite anime mom by far. What a strong and dedicated mother, who was left alone raising her children, but was able to pull through and gave her best at it for her children. Wolf Children was so goooooooood.

Rainbow Days Episode 17
Ch8j2PqVIAAhXuV.jpg

At least Kobayakawa is on board but Mari please just realize you are starting to like Mattsun too, he even called you by name and proclaimed his love ! :( Hes second best boy even.
Ch8kfhNUkAA03wH.jpg

blurr

Bunny Drop also has a parent as the central protagonist.

I guess you could count Sailor Moon too?

Oh yes, Usagi Drop was lovely.

Only ones I can think of off the top my head are

Death Note
Shaman King
Welcome to the NHK

And im not even sure about these since I haven't seen or read them in yeaaars.

Like I said, Clannad is one of the few.

Sailor Moon and some Digimon anime as well, I think.

I haven't seen Shaman King but Death Note and Welcome to the NHK don't have parents as central characters and only Clannad AS's later half has the segment which is fine though.

Qurupeke

Hyouka 12-13
It seems another mystery is building up, but the start of the culture festival was more like a usual SoL. The Kyoani presentation and the directing makes it wonderful though. The Classics Club members barely interacted with each other this time, but everyone had a nice adventure, minus Mayaka. Chitanda's stroll ended up a failure as far as the club is concerned, but it was certainly fun for her. And I really liked Fukube's quiz challenge, mostly because he was wearing that ridiculous suit. I have to say, I didn't expect Oreki to be so quick on checking Chitanda's photos. Tsk tsk tsk. Oreki's actually getting a lot more interesting as a character, while still retaining his archetype. His "Best work ever" line or his fake smile were so on point though.

SeI4Ndx.jpg

A familiar avatar on the new ending.

I hope they'll be able to turn around their situation with Hyouka. I guess Oreki's fetch quest will do the trick though.

Eumi

And they did it! This finally clears up that the tests aren't just needlessly cruel and cold but are actually meticulously designed to have everyone grow as a person. I wasn't sure about this show early on cause it seemed to have a bit of an identity crisis between dark humour and happy fun times, but now they've cleared up the reasoning for the events they're able to actually blend the two things into a unique style, without me trying to figure out if I'm supposed to be laughing at the horrible situations they're in or rooting for them to get out.

Weird how this show and Mayoiga have completely swapped for me. Now I'm on board with this I'm definitely done with Mayoiga, as Kiznaiver actually has characters I like.

Trigger showing off that they can not only continue the insanity of kill la kill with Luluco but can also tackle more grounded if still quirky stuff with this, this is the brightest timeline.

JulianImp

Barakamon #3-4
Still good, but I can't help but feel like the slapstick humor ruins what'd otherwise be a pretty much perfect show.

Scenes such as seeing the MC struggle against a blank canvas until the kids "messed it up" with their handprints (read: gave him a solid starting point) are really good, since the villagers all help the MC solve his personal issues in ways that aren't out of character for them. It's also really nice how the little kids work as a pretty good device for prodding the MC into taking action without standing out in a bad way for the most part. The shy little girl has been a bit annoying so far though, since all she's done is stand around and cry.

Aki-at

Glad to hear Welcome to the NHK has a good reception among animeGAF, I can definitely say I'm loving this two episodes in.

Welcome to the NHK - 2

There's something about the music that goes perfectly with the mood of the show. I know I'm only two episodes in but Satou really intrigues me in how detached his come to be with reality, infact that science fiction plot he came up (I even thought it was a real book until he revealed he was the main character) really drives home how isolated his feeling and touching back to the music, it has something to it that adds to the scenes where he's just loafing around in his apartment.

Really makes me want to dig into the past and see what other gems I might have overlooked.

Heh, before I started watching Welcome to the NHK I expected to get some contrieved conspiracy club with the usual quirky anime characters as members.

Instead I got a show that dove into depression and related topics masterfully and featured some damn authentic human characters. It also features one of my all time favorite screams in anime, that frigging voice actor's performance...damn.

Watching the dub so I don't know if I'll come across that scream or not but the dub so far seems well done!

Glad to hear Welcome to the NHK has a good reception among animeGAF, I can definitely say I'm loving this two episodes in.

This is probably a sign of how the AnimeGAF community has changed, but several years ago the impression I had of Welcome to the NHK formed by people here was negative. It was generally considered to be a poor treatment of its material compared with the manga and especially the original novel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom